Chapter Nineteen

Immortal

To say that Kim Jaejoong was happy was an understatement. Kim Jaejoong felt an extreme sense of ecstasy upon hearing the orchestral music. And when guests lined behind the Chapel's olden doors, he can't help but grin, he was sure it almost looked like a grimace. 

His mother turned and held his hands. "We're starting dear." she said, smiling.

He nodded his head and blew a sigh. His hands found the rough ends of his wheelchair.

Junsu, who was next to stepped inside the Chapel beamed at him, sending him encouraging looks. And as he was next in line, the orchestral music changed again. A sweet melody reached his ears. It was their wedding song. 

His mother gently and slowly wheeled him, slipping inside where he find the man he had given his heart to, standing on the far end, waiting for him. And when brown orbs met with black ones, time stopped and his heartbeat pound faster.

Yunho smiled at him. He felt the looks the guests had throwing on his way and he turned to look at them. Some looked at him with sympathy, some with happiness and some with sadness, but the looks he was getting was nothing of importance when Yunho's eyes spoke to him. He looked at him with happiness and pride and love. When their eyes met again, he never once dared to look away. 

His eyes watered and he blinked it back only for memories to taunt him.

In every step he made toward Yunho, a series of memories upon memories emerged to him.

The memories of their first meeting, that fateful encounter on one night of fall. The sweet moment and the pain of their first date had haunt his walk to. And their first kiss. That night when he proposed and dancing like the fireflies in the wild.

He was closer to him now, but still, memories lingered more. The night they exchanged tincan tabs that meant more than anything. That time on the beach where they smiled and laughed and kissed and cried. But as sweet memories was remembered, painful ones had flashed by too. The night before his first chemotherapy with his reluctance and Yunho's pleads and words of encouragements he articulated to convinced him to try. His first bleeding came next with Yunho beside him, eyes red, holding a broken heart.

The walk grew closer but he had to close his eyes when too many memories came and it broke his spirit. For a fleeting moment, he thought of running away. Away from Yunho and all the people he cared about. Ran away and just die.

Fear consumed his heart, and his mind. But just like it always did, only Yunho's warm smile can tame his doubting heart and in an instant, his fears were washed away. Yunho was like that. He was like a warm ray of sun that illuminated his life, a ray of life that took his worries away. A warm light that reached the depths of his heart when nothing else does.

The walk toward the altar which was entangled with memories that was a big crime to forget, ended. He finally smiled. Yunho reached for his cold, shaking hand and he was reminded once again on how lucky he was to have Jung Yunho. The sun that light up his world. 

Yunho never let go his hand throughout the ceremony that passed by quickly and he hoped he'll never do.

The time of exchanging their 'I do's' came and his smile grew wider. Yunho was the first one the priest had asked and when he heard those two words, he let it linger to his ears, dance on his heart.

The priest turned to him and questioned him. He almost said yes right away. He scolded himself, telling himself to be patient. Those two words sticked to his throat and ghost a smile to his lips.

The giving of the rings was next. He held Yunho's hand and slipped the symbol of infinity to his digit with vows to love him until time ends itself. He held his hand tighter, memorizing the warm feeling brought by the hand of the man he'll love till the end. His eyes traveled to Yunho's handsome and kind smile that swoon him.

The exchange of the vows proved harder than he thought. For after Yunho's vows, he can't help but cry. But between the sobs, he managed to uttered the words he meant, of only fate wasn't so cruel. After his vows, he looked straight to Yunho's face. His heart flinched. He committed Yunho's face to his memory, though he was so sure he'll never forget. No, he'll never forget the man he only love. Not in a million years.

The ceremony was ending soon and everything was going smoothly. The priest had already presented them to their guests with the power of unending bond of marriage. They all cheered and clapped their hands, with smile on their faces.

But their happiness was shortlived. In the middle of what it seemed to be a lifetime of euphoria, his head flinched and a thousand pang of pain coursed to his head. 

He tighten his hold to Yunho's hand, like an anchor that will balance his life and saved him from the strong waves of life. They were in the middle of celebration and he must not give in to life's worst punishment. No, he must not show any kind of pain.

It's not fair. It's not fair to Junsu and Yoochun who prepared the wedding he'd dreamed of. It's not fair to his mother that held his hand tight, sending him million of encouragements. It was unfair to every people there, who had come to witness the happiest time of their lives. And it's not fair to Yunho who had hoped and thought they were on the verge of winning. It was just unfair.

But the thing he had learned in the hard way was the fact that life doesn't control fairness. Life doesn't play fair.

He tried to catch his breath but saliva was filling his mouth with unreasonable rate and he tasted vomit on the back of his throat. The pain over his heart resumed and focused there. And just like a foreboding, he can feel the inevitable end now. 

He tightly closed his eyes and wished -- begged, for another month, or a week. No. A day would do. Just ... not now. Not when Yunho was too happy. Not now when it was supposed a celebration of new beginnings and happiness. Not now.

But fate was cruel. And love was just as cruel, it granted his wish but only gave him a few more hours.

 

The place Junsu picked for taking the remainders of Jaejoong's wedding was picturesque. Not only it was only on the back grounds of the Chapel, it was convenient for Jaejoong too. It was a place that ended where Han River began. The sun was still in the sky and the calm waves were soothing their ears. Though the summer had been scorching hot, the wind was gentle, caressing their skins.

 

Mr. Lee, a renowned photographer in town introduced himself and began his job. Near the Chapel's old yet delineated fountain, Jaejoong and his family settled themselves, flowers on his hands and a smile on their faces. The next shot Mr. Lee requested was the line up of the entourage with the newly wed couple on the center.

The pain on Jaejoong's heart was tolerable now, though there was searing pain on the back of his head. He shook it off and smiled and say "Cheese." as he was instructed.

He saw as Mr. Lee ushered the guests to stepped aside for he was taking the shot of the them next. He instructed Yunho to make his way on the edge of the fountain, holding his wheelchair. He felt his groom's hand gently squeezing his.

Mr. Lee took a step back and Jaejoong smiled, the flash came and the photographer asked them to stay were they were. But Yunho being Yunho, suddenly leaned in and maneuvered his way to him, silencing his confusion with his own mouth. 

Jaejoong gasps on the abrupt kiss and when Yunho pulled away, he playfully slapped the boy's arm. "Yah! Jung Yunho!" was the only words he formed. A chuckle interrupted them and Mr. Lee gave Yunho a thumbs up. "That was perfect shot." he said, adjusting his lens before turning his camera where the sun was preparing to set on Han River that for some odd reasons free from strolling people. 

 

Mrs. Kim too, can't help but say "a perfect shot," She looked at his son's smile and captured it on her mind, cherishing it. From the spot next to Junsu, she watched. On her point of view, it was a sight to see for she never thought he could be this happy despite the predicament he was in. She never thought the braveness her son possessed for taking the risk. 

And as a mother, he can't help but felt proud on him, for the bravery she never once had.

She watched as Jaejoong smiled shyly as Yunho kissed him and Mrs. Kim took notice of Jaejoong's smile. A smile that was ceased to flash after he was diagnosed with that disease.

But on her surprised, that smile was once again lived. On the first night of fall, they finally witnessed that smile again. And she knew, right then, a miracle called love had hit her son.

When she finally met Yunho, under unfavorable circumstances, she already felt that their love will stand against all odds.

Jaejoong's eyes shifted on her. She nodded at him, walking toward him. She reached for his hand and smiled. A smile that Jaejoong knew meant a thousand and one words.

 

Yoochun had known Jung Yunho for almost his life. Yunho was a savior of his childhood. When he turned his gaze on his best friend, he remembered. Yunho was the teenage boy he met one night, as he hide from his gradeschool bullies, and when his jerk classmate was to kicked him, Yunho stopped them. And despite the age differences, they became friends. When he turned 15, he asked why he never seemed to grow old, that's when Yunho told him about his secret. And when he voiced how cool it was, they grown more like brothers.

And now, on all those times he thought he knew Yunho, he realized how wrong he was. Because there was a face he never seen Yunho wore. Jung Yunho rarely smile. But a certain Kim Jaejoong changed that.

He grinned when he remembered Yunho's bothered pale face as he admit to him he might have fallen in love with someone whose name he never knew. He remembered Yunho's bright smile when his love for Jaejoong was reciprocated. And he remembered Yunho's sorrowful face, after Jaejoong's first attack. The desperation on his face to save Jaejoong was embedded on his mind and the face and excitement of him prior this day. And he'll surely remember the smiles Yunho was sending toward Jaejoong.

He walked to their way and Yunho noticed him, he smiled to him and thanked him for the ninth time. He only nodded and after their signature fist bumps, they both grinned and he pat his back. A simple pat that really meant a thousand and one words that was too many to utter.

He turned to Jaejoong and congratulated them before he made his way toward his other half while wiping a tear that was present but never dared to roll down.

He find the man he loved, standing on the corner of the place.

 

After thanking Mr. Lee for the wonderful job, Junsu searched for his brother. He find him, still on the edge of the fountain, obviously blushing after Yunho whispered something to his ear.

A bashful Jaejoong and a jerk Yunho, he can't help but soften his gaze and smile. He continued eyeing them as he wondered how their happiness was completely written on their faces, screaming blissfulness, that was caught even by their guests, he wondered if he'll ever have that kind of happiness like them. A pang of jealousy hit him. No, not for either Yunho or Jaejoong. But the love they have for each other. No sane person can doubt how much they love each other.

And to shook off his unreasonable resentment, he pulled his phone and captured the moment where Jaejoong smiled with content, as to while holding Yunho's hand. And as he looked on that simple image that whispers a thousand and one words, his jealousy grew bigger. But on his moment of envy, a calloused warm hand made its way to his own thay sent him heat that burned the one of the seven deadly sins he felt just a moment ago.

He looked up at Yunho and the boy winked at him. He rolled his eyes and they stood there, eyes doing a silent conversation, lost on each others worlds.

 

Shortly after capturing the magical moments, Jaejoong and Yunho along with their guests head toward the reception place both had no knowledge where. As they parked on one of the lots of Han River, the couple broke into a grin. A fitting place for such a memorable time. A place where everything began.

Han River was decorated like the night Yunho proposed with lights surrounding the area waiting to be lit after the dusk came.

On the west side of the place, a temporary hall stood with tables and chairs carefully placed together. Above the makeshift roof of the hall was a softly lit chandelier, illuminating their forms.

The sun was already setting when they made their way on the passage leading to the main hall.

Though Jaejoong wanted to make the entrance now and fast, because he could hear the clock now. Tick tock. That with every second it ticks, the more his body feel pain. But Junsu insisted they do it tradionally.

The man in question appeared from the door and nodded to them. "Let's go. I told the DJ to prepare your song," he said, grinning, before fixing his tie.

Surely, the moment his wheelchair stepped inside the extravagant place, the DJ played their song and the guests arose and welcomed them with cheers and claps. The host, he remembered as one of his classmates nodded at them and began the program.

Not only that their song was playing that everything seems romantic but the colorful sunset was showing off its beauty now. In a moment, the lights surrounding them will turn on and he already knew it will be perfect. He wondered what good he had done to deserve all of it.

Though something was bothering him. He had little knowledge about receptions but he knew, before the guests could dance, the newly wed couple would the first one to do it. He subconsciously wished Junsu would skip that part. Though he was excited, he was also sad. He don't know if he could order his body to move.

But the host called for the dance and he sweared under his breath. Yunho raised his brows and offered his hand. "Shall we?" he asked with a roll of his tongue, motioning on the dance floor's way.

He tried to stand up but Yunho stopped him, with a shake of his head. "This would do,"

Yunho wheeled him toward the center and all eyes were on them, the light surrounding them was already turned off and a spotlight was directed on them. He tried to adjust his vision on the darkness surrounding them but no to avail.

The wind blew and though it wasn't cold, he shivered, but Yunho was there to provide the warmth he needed.

He waited for Yunho to take the first step when the man let go of his hand and stepped backward, emerging on the darkness.

He wanted to voice his confusion but waited for a moment, when two minutes came with silence enveloping him he moved his hand to wheeled himself, but his ears picked up something. It was Yunho's voice singing -- or trying to sing along the melody of his favorite song.

He can't help but chuckled when he realized Yunho did not meant to dance, for he was to sing. Oh. Yunho and his surprises.

Yunho's voice echoed throughout the place and he listened intently, silently commenting on how beautiful his voice were.

But just before the chorus was sang, Yunho's voice broke, and tears rolling down his cheek. It was so heartbreaking to see, and Jaejoong's tears made its way down as Yunho knelt in front of him, though his cries mingled with the song, he continued, calming and dulling the pain inside his heart.

He don't know how it went but he find Yunho dropping down his microphone, creating a dizzying feedback.

He wanted to ask why he was acting like like that, but he was silenced as Yunho cupped his chin, wiping the tears with his lips. But they cried harder. And somewhere between the wiping of the tears and ignoring the pain over his heart, his eyes suddenly see white spots and his ears hear a ringing bells to a static noise and as he looked to Yunho, he realized he could no longer see him. He closed his eyes, trying to hold on.

The song changed as the chandelier lit in full brightness again and the guests gathered around them, but they kept their positions. Both faces taking refuge on each others shoulders, trying to hide their pains.

After a moment, Yunho spoke, in a low voice, "I know Jae," he began. Jaejoong waited for his blow of words.

"I see it. I know your hurting again. I see it in your eyes, I can feel your hold of despair and I can hear you wincing in pain. Jae," at the mention of his name, he took a deep breath, trying to send solace to the man he had caused pain but he just .. can't.

Yunho's voice reached his ear again, only this time, it was more like a whisper. "But Jae, you have to hang on. Okay? Dr. Park said we still have a month and I believe him when he said that so .." Yunho trailed off, Jaejoong bitting his lips hard. " .. just try to hang on longer. Please. Just don't .. go.. Not this soon, I'm just not ready yet.."

And he wished death would be like that, staying away from you when you're not ready yet. But death was evil. It doesn't care about the last words of goodbye of those he took prisoner before he stole them away.

Jaejoong's hand made its way to Yunho's, holding him tight, thinking maybe it was the last thing he'll hold before dying. As his other hand patting the crying man's back, rubbing it an a comforting manner.

From afar and on the guests eyes, they looked more like a couple spending their time together, kissing and laughing. No one saw them shedding tears with a pain no healer can heal.

A new sad song played on the background and he inwardly laughed by the cruelness of life. As if fate was talking to them thru that song, rubbing the situation they were in.

Yunho continued sobbing and he wanted to say something, anything to stop Yunho but he realized why he hasn't say something. It was too terrifying to admit. Because he can't utter any more of empty and broken promises. He can't promise to hold on because he had given up long ago. Because he knew, death was already waiting him. Death. That one word actually left a bitter taste to his mouth. Death that was too far away yet so distant.

 

Few more songs were played but none of them let go. Tears had dried and sobbings had stopped. And the place become crowded by the moment and his lips formed something that was too familiar, making Yunho glanced to him, a smile finally adorning his face.

"Do you want to run away with me?" he asked, grinning.

Yunho hummed in returned as he wiped their tearstained faces, before placing a kiss on his lips.

Yunho stood to his feet and in a swift motion, he grabbed his wheelchair and walked fast, to their way outside the makeshift place, they both laughed, realizing they're ditching their own reception.

 

Only the faint sound if laughters was the guests heard before they made their escape. The last of smiles on their faces.