Chapter Eighteen

Immortal

July 17th

 

It was a miracle. It was a miracle that Jaejoong's body had shown huge changes after his second chemotherapy. Even Dr. Park was amazed when Jaejoong undergo various tests and shown better results. Kim Jaejoong's body was responding to the said therapy. And though he wasn't out of cancer's grasp, Yunho and Jaejoong felt they were already winning. 

Dr. Park smiled as he signed Jaejoong's discharge slip. He was informed that tomorrow was their big day. Though it was only for a week with everyday hospital visitations, Yunho thanked the good doctor he had punched before.

 

"Good to go?" Yunho asked, grabbing Jaejoong's things. The said man nods his head.

"Great. We'll head home and Yunho, you're not allowed to come to our house before the wedding, you know the saying." Junsu reminded, placing his hands on Jaejoong's wheelchair, ready to go.

Yunho pouted and huffed, "Okay. I won't. But if you're late even for a minute, I'll come and bust at your door." he said, gaining chuckles from Junsu and Jaejoong.

Jaejoong rolled his eyes, amused by Yunho's childish antics. "Okay."

 

Yunho only walked them to their car. He wanted to drive them home but evil Junsu said, "You can't. We'll prepare for tomorrow and you should take a rest. And this will be the last time I'll spend time with him alone before his wedding. So no, you can't drive us home. Yunho opened his mouth to protest when Jaejoong agreed, to Junsu's idea, much to his dismay.

"Junsu's right. Besides, you and Yoochun have some catching up to do. I'll meet you in the church."

Yunho finally nodded, accepting his defeat. "Fine." he resort, pouting. Jaejoong grinned and he can't help but did too. 

They were grinning when they parted that night. Both excited for tomorrow. But hearts not ready on what was to come ..

 

True to his words, Junsu really stayed and slept on his room, if they will ever get their sleep. They spent the night talking, eating, watching their favorite movies and lastly, sharing their relationships with each other. 

He giggled when Junsu talked about Yoochun. How sweet the boy was and what they were doing when he was hospitalized.

Junsu cried when it was his turn to share, commenting how cute they were together and how happy he was he decided to take a chance, to take the risk. Before the night ends, Junsu whispered how envious he was that he was the first one to tie the knot.

Jaejoong can't voice that he envied him more. Because while they were gone on different places, going on dates, eating delicious foods and ending their day with kisses, he and Yunho wasn't that lucky.

They spent their times together stucked on that hospital, crying, wearing that battered look and eating relatively tasteless hospital foods and ending their days with worry they'll soon lose each other.

They watch a rerun of a show after that talk and slept in the middle of it.

 

July 18th

 

Jaejoong's vision was invaded by a sudden brightness even before he opened his eyelids. Still in his trance, he heard Junsu's voice telling him to wake up and today was his big day. If he could shot upright that moment, he could've, but his body movements were still rather limited, it could gain him severe headache.

He shot his eyes open and smiled at his brother, while taking his time to sat up. 

"Eat first then I'll help you get in the bath. We're needed in the church after two hours." Junsu said, placing a tray on Jaejoong's lap. "I'm gonna go and check Yoochun if everything's taken cared off."

 

When Junsu made his way out of his room, he grabbed his pillow and screamed his lungs out there. He was getting married! Now! Oh, he had imagined this day. He pictured this moment to his mind, everyday. He pictured himself walking down the aisle, while Yunho was standing on the other line, waiting for him and will offered his hand as they go and start their lives together. He had to remind himself reality . He had to remind himself how cruel reality is.

 

He was putting on his tie when he heard Junsu screamed, "Crap! I forgot where my tie is. Mom! You know where it is?!" and on the other part of the house, he heard his mother shouting back her dillema, "Junsu, where do you put my toothpaste? I forgot to brush my teeth!" and some time later, "Mr. Oh is here! We need to hurry!"

And he heard the knock on their door. He heavily sighed, a smile on his face, though it wasn't how he pictured it, he was happy that after everything, he and Yunho will be one. And his family was with him. 

 

When he was sitting comfortably on Mr. Oh's car, he suddenly felt something on his stomach. No, he wasn't having stomachache on his wedding, it was butterfly who decided to turn his stomach upside down. Oh, too cliché! But he was really nervous. He subconsciously wished it'd take a year to reach the church they're having their wedding.

Though nervousness was bothering him, he was also feeling giddy. He swallowed down his nervousness and grinned, wondering if Yunho was as anxious as him. And when they finally stopped on the church's doors, he let his smile grew wider.

 

*

 

Everything was well taken cared off, Yunho thought to himself. He felt bad having Junsu and Yoochun take care all what was all needed on his wedding but Yoochun brushed him off, "It's fine. I know you'll do to when it's our wedding." the boy grinned, fixing his tie, muttering how Junsu can tie it easily.

And as he stand on the side of the altar, he noted how the couple did a wonderful job. From the flowers to the line up guests and to the entourage he had no knowledge about. They took care of almost everything. He was overwhelmed when Changmin made it, the only person related to him in his wedding.

Having no family to introduced with, all their guests was Jaejoong's friends and closest relatives. Not that he minded, but still happier Changmin was there.

Changmin gave him a look, the same one he gave when they ended their conversation two months ago. He shrugged in return. "How's mom?" he asked, Changmin frowned, "Italy. Opening her fashion wear there, but she said to wish you luck and that she's looking forward to seeing Jaejoong soon."

He nodded and the bell rang, Changmin sadly smiled at him and patted his head. "I'm genuinely happy you do the thing I never had the courage to try." his brother uttered, silently taking a seat on the left corner of the church. 

 

Yoochun appeared beside him, grinning from ear to ear. He was his best man. And he closed his eyes, cracking a smile as he opened it. His eyes traveled on the double oak doors. Wishing it finally open, well, the reason he was wearing a white tuxedo that was itchy, if you'd ask for his opinion, was because of the sole person behind that door. 

A bell rang again. And sweet melody was played as the doors finally opened and for a second, he thought Jaejoong will be the first one to stepped in first but his eagerness turned into disappointment as he saw two of his classmates he don't know the names slipped inside the church.

He felt Yoochun elbowing him. "We're starting." he whispered to him. "Try not to cry."

He made a face and before he could retort, Yoochun had literally lose his mind when it was Junsu who was wearing a warm smile that entered the church. More people slipped inside, walking down the aisle but he didn't pay attention to them, the Orchestral music turned light when the doors opened one last time. This time, his wait was over for it was Jaejoong's that slipped inside. He could feel his excitement and he heard Yoochun chuckled at him. He calmed himself down and in the middle of his euphoria, he felt something churning on his stomach and it was a bad feeling, but he shrugged it off. He had been waiting for this. For months and then a few more hours for this. He was ready. They both were.

The music changed its paced when Jaejoong was wheeled down the aisle. The church rose in unison and steady ballad took over the church. It was their bridal song.

 

And man, was he surprised.

In all those months they're together, he had known Jaejoong was beautiful. It was a fact about him. Even with those layers of dark circles under his eyes, it didn't made him less beautiful. Even with the paler skin and failing body and ceasing voice, Jaejoong was beautiful. But this time, beautiful could not describe him. 

Though with the inconvenience of a wheelchair, none of them mind. As Jaejoong was slowly wheeled toward him, pushed by his mother. Jaejoong's eyes was twinkling and his warm wide smile was swoon toward him. Only him. 

Jaejoong was only meters away and his heart started to pound rapidly. The music that was their song, the people that will witness their exchanged vows and Jaejoong's smile that light up his world and he felt like he was going to ---

He tried to wipe any tears before they fall down on his cheeks. He was not going to cry.

Mrs. Kim and Jaejoong stopped shy on the steps that led to the altar. The priest looked at them with friendliness. "Who presents this man to be married to this man?" he asked.

Mrs. Kim answered in a solemn voice. "I do." the priest nodded. "Does this man have the blessing of his family for this marriage?"

Mrs. Kim smiled and he could see Jaejoong's blush. "Yes. As his mother, I freely give my blessing to this marriage."

The priest smiled at her consent and nodded. He motioned Yunho to sat on the chair in front of the altar. He wheeled Jaejoong gently and took his seat. 

He grinned when he was face to face with Jaejoong. "You look .. brilliant and splendid and magnificent and stunning and brilliant ---"

He was cut off by Jaejoong's bashful giggles. 

"I'm feeling conceited because of that compliments you know? Thank you. You perfectly looked like all of that."

Yunho crooked a smile. "I know." he said with a glint of overwhelming happiness on his eyes.

The priest gave a smile to their guests. "Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the church of God and in the face of this congregation to witness and join these two men in holy wedding." he began, gaining the attention of everyone. "which is an honorable estate, signifying onto us the union of two souls who found each other in their quest for eternal companionship. It is a sacred and holy affair and these two brave young men before us have decided to join in the hands of marriage, promising theirselves to one another and deepening their love with endless trust, with endless faith and endless love."

The priest's eyes sharpened and he frowned. "If any man can show just cause why they may not be legally and lawfully be joined together, let them speak now or forever hold his piece." his voice echoed throughout the church. No single soul moved. None dared to even whisper. Silence enveloped them and for a split moment, Yunho was afraid someone was there to ruin this wonderful moment that was too good to be true. 

The priest looked happy and his eyes settled on the couple. "If no one was against this wedding, let us continue and bow our heads." he ordered. 

Yunho and Jaejoong was first to bow their heads, followed by everyone.

The prayer ended and everything came by too fast and before he could grasp the situation he's in, he was being called by the priest. He wondered if he had fallen asleep on his own wedding.

"Jung Yunho ---" he looked at the tall priest at the sound of his name. " -- do you take Kim Jaejoong to be your man, your friend, your faithful partner and your love from this day forward? In the presence of your family and friends, do you offer him your vow to be his faithful partner in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, in joy as well as in sorrow? Do you promise to love him unconditionally, to support him in his goals, to honor him, to respect him, to laugh with him and cry with him and cherish him for as long as you both shall live?"

Yunho looked at Jaejoong with his raven eyes filled with love for him and only him. "I do." he said, sounding almost a whisper, no one had known he had practiced that two words for months.

The priest nodded at him and turned to Jaejoong, asking the same questions at him. But those were not simple questions, it was questions that will break your heart when 'I do'never came. 

He felt Jaejoong's body tensed when the last question arrived. He knew well, for they only have a month or two at the most to fulfill that vows. But finally, Jaejoong chuckled and nodded. "I do." he said and Yunho could see his eyes shining with silver tears on his face. Yunho promised not to cry, not in front of people he don't know, but he still did. Everyone seemed to feel them and he heard Junsu sniffling.

The priest's voice stopped them in their moment of sadness, a feeling not welcome when two people are to be joined by the love for one another.

"Now, we will go straight to the vows the couple have prepared to say." the priest said, eyeing Yunho to start.

He panicked for a moment. He had forgotten what he had memorized all night! He inwardly groaned when he faced Jaejoong once again. He took a deep breath, trying to ignore the bad feeling that was dancing on the back of his mind and the unwanted sadness on his heart. It was their wedding and they're not supposed to messed it up by crying.

"Jaejoong." he breath, locking hands with him before he nodded, "I first met you one night, on the least expected place and least expected time. You were only supposed to be the man I'll forget the next day but it didn't go that way. Fate has something stored for us, because despite the different paths were taking, we managed to meet half way. And behind the hindrances and everything we found something I never knew I was seeking .." he trailed off, taking his time to breath. " .. We found love. You came like a storm, and left my heart in state of calamity but you're also the miracle I never once believed. You're a miracle that dominated my once dull and repetitive life, a miracle that light up my world. So now, inside this church, in front of the people we care about, I vow to love you forever." he paused, Jaejoong blushed. "I vow to tell you I love you every morning we wake up. I vow to tell you I love you more every night before we fall asleep. I vow to be your fire when you're cold. I vow to hold your hand when you're in pain. I vow to kiss your forehead to calm you down. I vow to hug you when you're upset. And I vow to love you forever and a day." he finished, his last sentence was muffled by his cry. Jaejoong did too. Because they both knew, forever was just a word and such word wasn't waiting for them.

It took a while before Jaejoong stepped in to take his turn. Silence enveloped the audience because they knew it. Some thought how such a wonderful love like the one they have will end like that. Some wished they will never be on their shoes. Fate was cruel. But love was just as cruel as fate. And both messed them up. 

 

"Yunho." Jaejoong called. "Even now after we said our I do's, I still can't believe it. It was only an eye contact. We were just supposed to shrugged it off but you're right, we are fated to meet and we are fated to love one another. It was only supposed another night of pain but you came to my life like a heart attack that caught me by surprise .." the guests chuckled at the words they used to describe each other. "We found love and in the middle of ecstasy and exhilaration, I still find it hard to believe, because I simply can't keep up with the humongous gap between dreams and reality but you changed even that. You were like a dream, a wonderful dream dancing in this cruel shattered reality I'm living. So in front of our God and all the people we love, I here vow to tell you how much I love you everyday. I vow to sing to you when you're sad. I vow to be your warmth when you're cold. I vow to be your star that will light your way. I vow to be your home, to be your best friend. I vow to trust you. We don't have forever but I vow to love you until time ends itself." Jaejoong ended their, his last words hanging on the air. And though they don't want to cry harder, they did. It wasn't because of happiness and sadness but the empty void dark spaces in between.

"That being said, we'll now proceed to exchange of rings." the priest muttered to them, who was wiping their tears. To the guests, he said, "The giving and receiving of rings is the most important part of marriage ceremony because the rings are made in the symbol of that which is eternal. There is no beginning and there is no end and as you place these rings on each others fingers, it signifies that there shall no end to your marriage, no end to your happiness that you're going to share with each other and no end for the love you're feeling with each other. But I remind you, that these rings are the symbol you will wear before the world, and you will notice the response when you walk away from this place. For when people look at you, they will look at your hand and the ring on your finger. They will know that you belong to someone special and that someone special belongs to you.

"Everyday for the rest of your life, every time you reach out for each other, these rings will remind you of the love you share. So when you place these infinity symbols upon each others fingers, wear them with love and with honor. And now, may the rings be given to these men for the exchange."

Jaejoong released Yunho's hands and turned to his side, seeing smiling Junsu. He was giggling when he took the ring and handed it to him. 

Yunho turned back and see Yoochun. "I told you not to cry moron." he beamed, but he noticed him wiping some tears away. Yoochun pulled the ring from his pocket and handed it to him, smiling.

Yunho turned back to Jaejoong. And when his raven eyes met with Jaejoong's brown orbs, time seemed to still. Their eyes were red but their smiles were wide.

The ring Yunho was giving Jaejoong was a gold band. At the top was a smaller diamond that Jaejoong's favorite jewel. He smiled at Jaejoong and something sparks on his chest, he grinned upon finding the tin can tab hanging on his neck. It was the first and real connection they have before everything.

The ring Jaejoong presented to him was also gold. A simple ring with the their names engraved into it.

"Yunho," the priest called his name. He tear his gaze to Jaejoong and eyed the priest. "As you place the ring on your partner's finger, please repeat after me." he commanded.

Shakily, Yunho took Jaejoong's left hand, sending a gentle squeeze and his heart melt under his misty-eyed stare and wide smile. 

The priest began his words but he kept on looking at Jaejoong.

"I give you this ring .." the priest started.

"I give you this ring .." Yunho repeated.

"as a reminder .."

"as a reminder .."

"that I will love, honor and cherish you .."

"that I will love, honor and cherish you .."

"In all times .."

"In all times .."

"In all places .."

"In all places .."

"and in all the way until forever .." the priest finished. But Yunho changed the last word, repeating what Jaejoong had said.

"and in all the way until time ends itself .."

He slipped the ring onto Jaejoong's finger. Adorning the ring more on his digit.

Jaejoong took his hand and repeated what the priest had said, changing the last words as well as he placed the ring on his finger.

He took a moment to look at his hand. He was wearing his ring and Jaejoong was wearing his. It's a symbol for all people to see that they belong with each other. And the feeling was amazing.

"Yunho and Jaejoong, please take each others hands, so that you may see the gift that they are to you." the priest uttered. 

The two of them did as they were told, slowly lacing each others hands as before, giving one another a warm squeeze as a reassurance. The two of them looked down at each others fingers and smiled at their rings. Yunho flashed his goofy grin and Jaejoong shyly blushed.

The priest's voice sang again. "These are the hands of your soul mate, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow and until time ends itself." those words gained a laugh from their guests. "These are the hands that will take you to a never ending adventure called marriage. May these rings be blessed as the special symbol of this wonderful and affectionate union. Your lives are now joined in the band and one unbroken circle. May you find love with each other and may they grow in understanding and in compassion. May the rings on your fingers symbolize the touch of spirit of love in your hearts."

The priest glanced at them, smiling before he continued.

"Yunho and Jaejoong, you have expressed your love to one another through the promises you just made. And now, at this day of July, day 18th in the year of 2015, with the power bestowed upon me, I now pronounce you married couple bonded by the hands of God. You may now seal the agreement with a kiss. A kiss different from the ones you shared before. Because this kiss is a kiss of promise. You may now kiss him." the priest permitted, motioning for Yunho.

With shaky fingers, Yunho leaned in closer, placing his hand on Jaejoong's wheelchair for support, other one placing it on Jaejoong's nape before pulling him closer. He dipped down and captured his lips with his own, feeling Jaejoong hands interlock behind his neck, sharing the very first kiss as lovers, as married couple, as partners for eternity.

And man, the priest was right -- it's a far different kiss. Not a kiss shared between the pain. Not a kiss shared between a weak man and miserable one. It was a kiss of promise. It was a kiss of hope whispering to their ears that somehow, things will get better.

 

They heard the cheering of the crowd. Sobs coming from Junsu and Mrs. Kim. They heard everyone rise up in a rush, applauding their congratulations.

 

Jaejoong pulled away first, laughing at the dissapointed look on Yunho's eyes. "Don't give me that look." he whispered. "We have to save it for tonight."

Yunho's eyes twinkled and grinned, his nose brushing against him. "And until the time ends itself." he added. Stealing a kiss from him. 

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is now my pleasure to present to you, this loving couple!" the priest shouted.

The cheering doubled. And Jaejoong smiled. So did Yunho. 

 

In the middle of happiness and paradise, no one would have thought that something fateful was about to happen ..