Twelve

Immortal

It must be the fastest run Yunho had made on his entire life, because he find himself driving to hospital, with Jaejoong beside him. His heart beating too fast and he could hear Junsu's sobs.

His eyes start to water and his hand automatically moved to grab Jaejoong's hand. He find it was too cold.

 

On an empty gurney, he deposited him and was immediately carried to Emergency Room once again. The hospital was in an uproar. In the hall, he find a young boy carried inside, he heard a nurse said the boy had been in a car accident. In the corner, there was a pregnant woman who has to deliver her child, and a middle aged man who was stabbed in his arm.

There were a lot of people, a lot of noises but Yunho could only hear his heart. No, he can't just stand there, he thought. And after hesitations, he run. He ignored Junsu's question.

He opened his car and drive toward East. Praying along the way he can help him. He can help him save his life. Save Jaejoong's life.

He almost got lost for he hadn't set his foot on that place. He reached that familiar porch and he summoned all his courage to face him.

He knocked, and no one answered. He knocked again, this time, his knocks were urgent. He raked his hair with his fingers when no one answered him. He drew harsh breath and kicked a vase on his side. He could hear the shattering sound, the sound his heart had also made.

A door opened and he was finally face to face with the person he hate the most.

"Oh. What's wrong --- Yunho?" the man said, stopped when he realized it was his son. He looked straight to his son's eyes and find his own dread reflection back.

Mr. Jung never saw Yunho's eyes like that, as if it's holding pains, too much pain it can register on his eyes. And he never saw his son shed tears.

He was to walk to Yunho when he stepped backwards and he did the thing he never dreamed of doing. He knelt down.

He knelt down on his father and begged. "Dad .." he began and find the voice he's using didn't belongs to him. "Save me. Save Jaejoong. Please. Dad. I'm begging you." and that's when Yunho's barriers crashed down, he broke down. 

Mr. Jung walked toward his son and knelt down too. He patted his back and pulled him into a hug. A gesture he hadn't do since forever. He don't need to ask why and who is Jaejoong because he knew, whoever that was, it's important to his son's life.

Yunho was saying something but his words were stumbling with his cry.

It took a while before he calmed down a bit and held his father's hands. "Save Jaejoong Dad. He's my life." he sobbed, and between sobs, he said who Jaejoong is and the condition he was in.

But Mr. Jung sadly shook his head, regret visible in his eyes. It was the first time Yunho had asked for his help, and he couldn't do anything but to shook his head. And he felt worthless.

"But I'm a cardiologist son .." he slowly said, hoping Yunho could understand him, but Yunho raked his hair and stood up. He laughed. And cried. And laughed again. And tears flowed down. "I knew it. I knew it. You can't help me. Why did I ever asked you. You'll never help us." Yunho's words cut like a knife but he continued. "You left us in the first place, why did I ever .."

Mr. Jung was to reach for his son but Yunho stepped backward. "Back off." he said it lowly but it still cut Mr. Jung's heart. Yunho violently shook his head and ran to his car.

Mr. Jung sighed. Yunho had shut his out. Like he did few years ago.

 

On his car, Yunho continued to cry, cursing his father, cursing himself more. He felt helpless and hopeless. He should've not come. He shouldn't. Because it made things worse. Because he'd hoped. He hoped his father could help them but once again failed him.

He glanced sideways and find a couple, holding hands, smiling. Their eyes full of love. And he wondered if he and Jaejoong could ever be like that.

 

Before he pulled from his car, he breathed heavily, and plastered his smile. He checked his eyes, though it's not swollen anymore, his eyes still had that painful look. He shook his head and smiled.

He walked back to that place and Yoochun noticed his eyes, but didn't say anything, instead, he ushered him to a room. He find Junsu there, talking with Jaejoong. They were smiling.

And with Jaejoong's smile, his pain seemed to vanished. The disappointment, the false hope seemed not to matter anymore. Jaejoong's smile was more than enough.

Jaejoong gave him a smile and Junsu patted his brother's head. He smiled at Yunho before he made his way out. Yunho smiled and sat beside him.

"I'm fine." Jaejoong began, before Yunho asked. He nodded and his hand made it's way to Jaejoong's.

"I'm glad then." he grinned. Scanning the dextrose attached on him. "Does it hurt?" he asked. 

Jaejoong shook his head no. "I'm fine. Don't mind me." he uttered. And they stayed silent.

A knock came in and Dr. Park came in. "Can I talk to you?" he asked. Yunho nodded.

"I'll be back." he said and kissed Jaejoong's forehead.

 

Junsu, Yoochun and Yunho's face were serious after the doctor had said. "We made some tests on Mr. Kim and we find a troublesome problem. His white blood cells has multiplied, over counting the red ones. And it's not a good thing." Dr. Park coughed. "We didn't expect this problem because the last time we performed this test, his blood count was stable, and I'm sorry but with this, his immune system has gotten really weak. And I suggest, we confine him to prevent complications and other diseases." Junsu nodded. Yunho stayed still. Because he knew, there's one more thing that doctor will say. And he said it, only this time, it was merely a whisper. "And the five months we said, I'm truly sorry but with Mr. Kim's condition, we are optimistic that he could last more or less three months.

Junsu yelp and Yoochun hugged him, as if protecting him from the painful words the doctor was saying. But Yunho stood still. His body tensed. His hand formed into a fist.

"Three more months." he thought. "There must be some mistake. They are wrong." his mind yelled.

"I'm sorry." Doctor Park said last. "We could do anything about it."

Yunho's ear hurt with those words and he punched a wall. Blood was gushing down from his hand. In a split second, he had grabbed Dr. Park's collar and snarled, "You can't do anything?" his hold tight. "And you called yourself a doctor?"

Yoochun tried to stopped Yunho, but Yunho being so strong, he was pushed down the floor.

You told us five months, and now you're telling us it's more or less three months? Are you f.cking kidding us?" he screamed, attracting the people that passed by on their way. One nurse called the guards.

"I'm sorry Mr. Jung." Dr. Park said calmly despite the pair of strong arms that strangling him. "F.ck you!" Yunho cursed but behind the strong arms and words, tears were rolling down his cheeks.

Pair of arms encircled him and he transformed into a wild animal. Kicking, clawing, biting, just to freed himself from those web of hands.

And across the hall, behind closed doors, a young man stood. Hearing everything. Jaejoong wiped his tears and on his hand, he held thick strands of hair. His hair.

 

Dr. Park didn't say anything about the assault and shook his head no when the guards was about to kick Yunho out of the hospital. He composed himself and sat beside Yunho, who was sitting on the floor, his eyes too distant.

"I know what you're feeling." Dr. Park said, patting the boy's back. "My wife died having that same disease."

He pulled a bandage on his pocket and poured some antiseptic on his wounds. After covering it, Yunho thanked him and uttered sorry.

 

After he calmed down, Yunho said sorry to Yoochun and Yoochun hugged him. "You must be strong. He'll be fine. We'll be fine." he said. Yunho nodded.

 

He find Jaejoong staring at the ceiling when he walked in his room. Jaejoong smiled and he can't help but smile too. A million watt smile that can light up his darkness.

Three months, his mind echoed. He shook the thought away and caressed Jaejoong's cheeks.

"Hi, Gorgeous." Jaejoong winked and trapped Yunho's hand on his. "How are you?"

Yunho chuckled. "Should I be the one asking that? But I'm fine. You? How do you feel?"

"I'm fine too. You're here." Jaejoong said. "I'm sorry though."

Yunho asked why. "It seems like I will never write our story."

Yunho grinned. "It's fine. You can write it. When you get better."

Jaejoong eyes softened and he nodded.

They stayed silent. And in the silence that follows, Yunho uttered something that made Jaejoong to smile.

"Let's get married, Jae." Yunho said. "Soon."