Chapter 49 : The truth

Perhaps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



“What’s going here??” Yuri asked as she reached the couple. She had run towards them as soon as she saw Jessica cried.

“Yuri...” Taeyeon slowly called her. 

Yuri looked at her, curiously.

“Yo—Yoona.”

As she heard the name, her heart started to beat faster. She didn’t know why but at that moment, worries strike her. She stared intently at Taeyeon as she waited for her next words.

“She got into an accident.”

She gasped as she felt like world was crumbling down as she heard the news. Spontaneously, tears fell from her eyes. She shook her head, disbelieving. 

“Let’s go.” Taeyeon said as she wrapped her hand around Jessica and pulled Yuri along with her other hand.

Without wasting anytime, the three of them rushed to the hospital.


+++++


-Hospital-


TAP! TAP! TAP!


The sound of steps was heard all over the hall. Three girls were running through the hall towards the operation waiting area. Tears and anxiety was all over their faces.

“WHERE IS SHE??? WHERE IS MY SISTER?? ”

She didn’t waste any time as she quickly asked the others as soon as she saw them.

Sooyoung was crying hard in Sunny arms while Hyoyeon was still dumbfounded with the event that just occurred. She seemed lost.

“Sunny...how is she?”

Seeing no response from either of the girls, Taeyeon calmly asked the short girl who was the one that called and informed them about the accident. She knew that Yoona must be in the operation room right now. But she wanted to know how bad her condition was.

Sunny slowly turned to face them. Her eyes were red and puffy. She has been crying nonstop since the accident.

“I—I dont kn—know Tae. She’s still in there.”

“It’s bad...It’s...” Sooyoung suddenly added but she didn’t manage to speak any further as her emotion and sobs took control of her.

“Nn—No..” Jessica whimpered as she cupped her face. Taeyeon quickly pulled her into her hug and tried to calm her.

On the other hand, the black pearl who has been silent since she got the news slowly leaned her back against the wall. Tears were already running down her face.Fears had overcome her. Her body felt week as she slowly sat down on the floor and cupped her face. She was afraid. Afraid of losing the one that she loved. Inside her heart, she was praying hard, begging to God, to save her love.

Dear God...Please, please don’t let anything bad happen to her...


+++++


-2 Hours later-


Sooyoung was resting her head on Sunny shoulder as the shorter held her hand firmly. Taeyon was still wrapping her hand around Jessica who was still sobbing.

Meanwhile, Hyoyeon was sitting beside Yuri who was still quite and lost in her own thought. Her eyes were fixed on the operation’s sign above the door. How she wished that it could be turned off as soon as possible so that she could knew Yoona’s condition.

Hyun Joo gently grab her girlfriend’s arm and pulled her for a hug. Hye Sun has been walking back and forth, anxiously. She tried to get into the operation room but since she was related to Yoona, she couldn’t get involve with the procedure. Instead, she had to wait for the update like the others. However, among them, only she and Hyun Joo knew the truth about Yoona’s secret. Thus, their worries were much more than them as they knew what could possibly happen to Yoona. And as a doctor, Hye Sun was well aware how critical her condition was.

Yuri suddenly stood up as the others looked at her. Soon, they realized the reason for Yuri’s action as they saw the operation sign was off and all of them got up and anxiously waited for the doctor.

Hye Sun was the first one to approach the doctor as soon as she came out.

“Dr. Wonhee. How is she?”

“Oh, Dr. Goo...Well, the operation was success. We managed to stop the bleeding. But—“

All of them were relieved when they heard that the operation was a success. However, as soon as they heard but from her, the fear came back. They stared at the doctor as she took a deep breath before continuing her words.

“But...there was some complication during the operation. We lost her for awhile. Her heart stops before I managed to recover her back.”

Gasped was heard around the hall. They were shocked when they heard the news.

“I think I’ll need to talk to you and her family regarding on her condition right now.”

“I’m her sister.” Jessica suddenly said.

Dr. Wonhee nodded her head.

“Oh, that’s good then. Hm, Dr. Goo, could you please bring her to my office in awhile.” She said. But before she managed to walk away from them, Sooyoung quickly grab her arm.

“It’s true that I’m not related to her by blood, but she’s someone that I really care more than myself. In fact, she’s such a really important person to all of us here. No blood relation would be needed for us to have her as our little sister. So, please. Please tell me her condition right now...”

Dr. Wonhee looked at Hye Sun as if she was trying to ask for her opinion. Hye Sun slowly nodded her head.

“Hm...alright...well, what I can tell you right now is that, although the operation was a success, she still in a critical condition right now. The accident didn’t just cause some minor injuries to her body but it also adds another impact on her heart. It had made her heart condition worsen. Thus, our main concern right now is on recovering her heart. Honestly, based on her current condition, I really can’t guarantee you with anything yet.”

Dr. Wonhee sighed as she patted Sooyoung’s back before she left them.

“Wh—what does she mean? What’s wrong with her heart? “ Sooyoung was confused with Dr. Wonhee explanation. Why did the doctor say that Yoona’s heart was getting worse? Since when did Yoona’s heart got a problem?

“Hye Sun unnie.”

Yuri who has been silent for awhile suddenly called Hye Sun. As the others looked at her, she slowly asked Hye Sun.

“Some—something is missing here. What’s wrong with her?”

Hye Sun tried to avoid their gaze. She knew that all of them were expecting an explanation from her. She looked at her girlfriend who soon nodded her head. Hye Sun sighed as she understood the sign from Hyun Joo. It was time for her to reveal everything to them.

“Yoona... She has a heart disease.”

It felt like a bomb was being dropped as all of the girls were too shocked as they listened to Hye Sun’s words. Tears were starting to fill in their eyes once again. Jessica and Sooyoung were shaking their head as they tried to deny the news that they heard. While the others were too stunned to utter even a word, especially Yuri. Her eyes were wide open. The world seemed like spinning around her. Luckily, Hyoyeon was beside her as she held Yuri’s arms, supporting her.

“Wh—what? No. No...it can’t be.”

Hye Sun slowly sighed as she sat on the bench.

“I know this is hard to believe but it’s the truth. “

“NO! You’re lying! She’s perfectly fine. She’ll make this through.” Jessica raised her voice as she shook her head vigorously. Taeyeon held the girl in her arm as she tried to calm the girl. She knew this was too hard for Jessica to handle.

“Unnie... what are you talking about? Yoona seems fine all this while. How can she be sick?”

Hye Sun looked at Sunny who seemed lost. This was too shocking for all of them.

“She didn’t know about it too...till last few months. It was— “ She paused as she turned to face Yuri. “It was the day that you left.”



-Flashback-

“Yoona! You’re awake—where are you going?”

Hyun Joo held her arm and waited for her explanation.

“I have to go unnie. She’s going back. I—I’ve to meet her.”

“But you’re not well. Can’t you just call her?”

“I’ve tried. But her phone is off. I really have to go. Please unnie.” She looked at her pleadingly.

“Yoong!”

Both of them turned to Hye Sun.

“You’re not well. Stay.” She said sternly.

Yoona shook her head and pulled her arms off Hyun Joo.

“I’m sorry...” She said as she walked towards the door. But, before she could turn the knob, she felt a stinging pain inside her heart. 

“AH!” She clutched her heart as she fell on the floor.

“YOONG!”

Both of the unnies shouted as they ran towards Yoona who was now lying on the floor.

“Yoona?Yoona? What’s wrong with you??” Hye Sun was panicking as she saw her dongsaeng lying on the floor, clutching her heart. She seemed to be in a lot of pain.

“Unn—Unniee..it hurt...” She was struggling to speak as she tried to bear the pain. Soon, she was unconscious. 

“Baby! Get the car!” 

Hyun Joo quickly got up and took her car keys and rushed out towards her car. They needed to go to the hospital fast.

+++++

-Yoona’s ward-

“Aortic dissection.”

“What? How—how is that possible?”

Hye Sun was shocked when Dr. James told her about Yoona’s condition.

“I’m sorry. I know this is such surprise news for you. But, after all of the tests that we have done to her, it’s positive that she’s having aortic dissection. Luckily, it is a type B which means she does not need any urgent surgical intervention for now.”

Hye Sun eyes were b with tears. As a doctor, she knew about the disease well enough. It was a potentially life-threatening condition in which there was a bleeding into and along the wall of the aorta which was the major artery carrying blood out of the heart. It easy to say that Yoona’s life was at stake now.

“I—I can’t believe this. She’s such young and active person. How could it happen?”

“ Well, chronic high blood pressure may stress the aortic tissue, making it more susceptible to tearing. You can also be born with a condition associated with a weakened and enlarged aorta, such as Marfan syndrome or bicuspid aortic valve. But, in certain occasion, aortic dissections may be caused by traumatic injury to the chest area, such as during motor vehicle accidents.” He explained.

Suddenly Hye Sun gasped as she remembered something.

“She did get into an accident, about 2 or 3 years ago. But, she was fine after the accident.”

“Hm...I bet she didn’t go for a medical check up after that right?”

Hye Sun shook her head.

“I guess, the accident did cause some damage to her heart. Too bad that she didn’t go for a check up or else she could have discover it earlier. Hm, and through these years, the condition of her heart keeps on worsening. Plus, according to the reports, I can see than she has been in a lot of stress. As you know, hypertension is one of the main causes for this disease too. Maybe, she did feel the symptom but decided to ignore it.”

Hye Sun nodded her head. Dr. James

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter