Chapter Twenty

Inevitable Changes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jieun's P.O.V. : 

As soon as Hana started to speak, I've got a bad feeling about it. A really really bad feeling. Once she is done with the first part of her speech, I feel nothing but pain. I stare at the guys, especially L, hoping that their reaction would not be something unpleasant. To my displease, every single one of them has that look on their face. The look which I've always got from people since I am young. And all of a sudden, those haunting memories came back all in one go and knock at the doors of my heart.

When Hana spoke about the second incident which is associated with Suzy, I feel horrible. I took a quick glimpse at her, she stood there and her jaws dropped, completely shocked. Instinctively, I stepped forward and wanted to explain to her. However, she pushed me away. 

It doesn't matter how everyone think of me. All I cared about was Suzy and the guys. And of course L, my potential boyfriend.

I frowned at Suzy's reaction. 

I'm sorry Bae. I'm so sorry.

Just when I'm moving even closer to Suzy, she shook her head violently in response. 

"Stay away from me!"

"I need....I need time. Please, just go."

By this time, I can feel everyone is staring at me, including L. I curl my hands into a fist and buried my nails deep into my skin. Then, I tilt my head up and smile. a rather forceful smile. 

You can do this Jieun.

Be brave & be strong. 

When I'm about to turn around and leave by myself, suddenly, L grabbed hold of me. His strong arms pulled me under his embrace and without saying anything, he led me out of this place.

This made me feel even more guilty. Did he mind about my past? Why did he do that? Will he see me differently now?

Throughout the journey, we stayed silent. And the only thing he told me was "I'm sorry."

After hearing his apology, I lose it.

Not because I feel maligned but due to the fact that why is he apologising to me when it's clearly my fault? 

I feel remorseful that I lied to all of them, including my best friend. They were all being honest with me and yet I'm being dishonest to them. Any adjective that can link to guilt and selfish probably describe my situation now.

I ed things up pretty badly.

The same incident broke me. Again. This time, I feel even more painful than before. 

It's like a six degree of misery attacking me altogether.

None of us talked and I have lost count of how long I had been crying.

We stayed like this for a long time until L broke the ice. 

"It's okay Jieun. None of us really give a damn about your past. Especially me. I don't mind at all. I really don't" L spoke out in a strained voice. 

Sensing that there is no reply from me, he continued "If you don't feel comfortable about telling us your past, I can understand. I mean, who would like to speak about something which broke them before? In your case, it might even destroy you. I really don't mind. All I want from you is the same old thing. To be fine and happy. The only thing I'm concerned about and matters to me."

I sat there, trying to digest what he just said. 

When he confessed to me, I rejected him heartlessly. When I pushed L away every single time, he would always come back for me. When I refuse to disclose to him about the old me, he did not get frustrated nor angry. Instead, he tries to understand my position and comfort me. When I was in a bad state, he did not leave. L stood by my side all the way. From my phobia of lightning, Eunjae picking on me and Hana trying to destroy me.

Never once did I see him giving me up. 

And we only know each other for 6 months. 

I guess this is what they say, time does not define how strong the relationship will be. If you met the right person and even if you know him for just a week, it's more than enough. 

So, I've made a decision. 

to open up to L and tell him everything that he deserve to know.

"Yes. But I insist on telling you, L. I believe that the best policy to keep a relationship strong is always honesty." I replied dryly. My voice sounded hoarse from all the crying.

"No It's okay. I do not wish to force you into doing something that you don't like." He replied, filled with sincerity in his tone. 

"I want to tell you. I want you to know the old me too." 

"Alright.. If anytime you feel uncomfortable, just stop okay?" 

I nodded my head and took in a deep breath. 

So here it go.

 

"My parents are a typical married couple who is blessed with everything. Both of them are very famous lawyers and they worked under Suzy's parents. They gave birth to me and my elder twin sister, Gaeun. We have always been a very peaceful and happy family. However, things started to change when Gaeun and I enrolled into a special school. I am sure you have heard of the Elites School in California. It is a place where all the top companies' heir and heiress studied together. The school specially trained them since young. As early as the age of four. Well for us, the twin sister, we got enrolled into the school simply because we are tasked to take good care of Suzy and Chanyoung. Technically speaking, our entire family work for the Bae. The Elites School is nothing like the royal school we attended here in Seoul. In there, is really no joke as they have really strict rules to follow. The largest class we ever had was only 15  people in a class. In there, a class is formed up by only 4-5 people. And of course, Gaeun, Chanyoung, Suzy and I are in the same class since 4 years old. Basically, all of us grew up together in a pretty harsh environment. The school there trained every single one of us to be an all-rounder in everything. Can you imagine, they sent us for competition with people older than us at the age of 6? The school is just so remarkable that it made me speechless. Time to time, the teacher there will hold plenty of competition among classes, to built up our competitiveness and independency. To put it simple, we've been through a really special programme that not every 4 years old kid would be able to handle it. In there, it's a all in or nothing."

"Since young, I've always learnt things a lot faster than normal people. At that point of time, I have no idea why either. I thought I am just a fast learner that absorb things faster. However, as the time goes by, I started to realise I am actually different from anyone else. I have a perfect memory. I can memorise any single thing or book just with one glance. I am good in almost everything. From sports to studies and even music. At first, such things did not bother me at all because hey, who will actually give a about such things when you are so young? But my elder sister, Gaeun did not think this way. She is a perfectionist. Whenever she learnt things at a slower pace than me, she would stay up late to practice and practice just to be on the same par as me. I've always been a champion in matches and ranked the top for studies. Gaeun would always try to catch up with me. It's not like she isn't good enough, she still manged

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter