The Coffee Shop.

My Beautiful Black Pearl

“Welcome back darling.” The owner of the coffee shop, a girl on her mid 20’s, greeted me as soon as the bell above the door rang, indicating that someone opened the door.

“Glad to see you here Seoyoon.” I smiled as I grabbed my waitress uniform and tied my long hair up in a messy bun.

“Aww my girl. Pretty as always.” She complemented me and took her apron. “Ready to start another successful day?” She asked with a grin as her hands tied a knot on the small of her back so the apron wouldn’t move. With a nod and a tooth-grin, I decided it was time to start another day.

Luckily, it was Saturday so I didn’t have to work for the second shift. It’s scary to go home alone in the middle of the night, even though my house is pretty near.

Ding dong. The bell rang as the first customer of the day walked in. After some seconds passed, I walked to the table and asked for the customer’s order. After writing down on the small yellow notebook, I left with a smile and a bow.

“One mocha cappuccino for table number three.” I shouted as I walked to the counter, waiting for Seoyoon to finish the order. After a few minutes everything was finished. I took the cup and placed it on the tray. With a smile I placed the cup on the table and bowed with the tray over my chest. The customer smiled back and I left him to drink his morning cappuccino happily.

 

“Hello… Seoul.” I whispered as I took my bags and walked up the stairs to my apartment door. I grabbed they keys from my jeans pocket and opened the door.

In front of me was an apartment whose furniture was already placed in its own respective place as they shined because of cleanness. A smile crept on my face as I walked towards my new room. Finally I had had my own house. Even though it would be quite lonely, I was happy to have my own life and stop worrying about family and others. Now I had to worry about myself

After one week of trying to find a part time job, I started losing my hopes of find a good place where I could work and earn some money for my living. Fortunately, Seoyoon appeared in my life and she offered me a job as a waitress at her new coffee shop.

Now it’s been one month since I started working here, and things have been getting better and better everyday. Even though school work was becoming hard and my life was busier than before, I had the chance to enjoy both bitter and sweet days. Luckily, Seoyoon always helped me with my projects and homework every time I needed help. Even though I insisted that I could do it by myself, she would drop by when I would least expect it, and give me a hand with everything I needed. She even helped me with the chores! Because of her, I understand what true friendship means, and I’m really happy to know her. Indeed, I’m really proud of her.

 

As hours passed, more and more customers dropped by. They would either order Cappuccino or Watermelon Margarita. We made the best organic cocktail in town, no wonder we were listed as the second best coffee shops of Seoul. We were also known for the best Bubble Tea. All this thanks to the great owner and my girl best friend, Seoyoon.

A tall, blonde haired guy walked in, wakening me up from my daydreaming. I looked up to meet his cold and fierce eyes. He had a tall and well build nose, a sharp jaw line and a long face. He had plump lips that shined under the sunlight, giving them a light color of pink. I blinked at his handsomeness. I walked towards him, bowed and offered him the best seat near the window, just like he asked for. With a firm nod, he took a seat and I gave him the menu so he would decide on the drink he wanted.

After some minutes I came back to get his order. He looked up and with a non Korean accent, he ordered for Pink Grapefruit Sparkler. I nodded and walked to the counter. His accent was Canadian, no wonder he didn’t look Korean.

Seoyoon looked at me with a tilt of her head. My eyebrows were furrowed together as I was thinking about the guy I just met. With a chuckle, Seoyoon gave me the glass with juice and whispered,

“He’s Kris. He is Chinese, born and raised in China.” I blinked at the sudden information. Not that I cared, but how did she know that? She laughed at my expression and as if she could read my mind, she continued, “He’s my cousin.”

My lips formed an ‘o’ shape as I nodded. I laughed awkwardly and walked to the table number 10. I must’ve looked weird.

“Here’s your order.” I smiled as I placed the glass carefully on his table. He looked up on me and I realized he wasn’t that cold city guy I first thought. His aura was happier than mine and his eyes sparkled of joy under those dark brown orbs. With a ‘thank you’, he asked if he could pay right in the moment and I nodded. He gave me the money and told me to keep the cash.

“Thank you for visiting Coffee & Coffee. I hope you’ll come again.” I bowed and said the words I have repeated more than a thousand times. He nodded and started taking sips of his juice once I walked away.

The clock marked 12 PM and it was the time my shift ended. With a ‘goodbye’ to Seoyoon, I walked outside the coffee shop and made my way towards the mall.

I counted the money I got today and the money I had in my pocket. I realized I had enough money to eat outside and do some shopping for new clothes since it was the beginning of March. With a smile on my face, I plugged my earphones on and started listening to some relaxing music so I could take the tiring weight off my shoulders.

Everyday, as I walked in the streets of Seoul, people would look at me at the corner of their eyes asking questions at each other like;

“How can she be so pretty?”

“Pretty but poor. Sad, sad.”

“I bet she used all her money to get a plastic surgery. Tsk, female’s these days.”

A light chuckle left my lips as I thought about those sentences. There are two reasons behind all these words: people are jealous, people are blind. I was about to raise the volume of the music so I wouldn’t listen to their whispers, but my ears caught in time, the most heartwarming sentence I’ve heard.

“She may be poor, she may be sad, but she’s pretty and herself.” I looked up to see the guy from before smiling at me and all the people around me stopped talking and they started minding their own business.

“Thanks… Kris.” I smiled and his smile faded away again. He nodded and patted my shoulder as he walked opposite me. With a smile I continued my way to the mall as I started daydreaming about my past again.

“Next week is my birthday…”