Date

My annoying next door neighbor

As Luhan and I were walking on the streets of Seoul, we came across an ice cream shop. We entered the shop and looked at all the flavors they had.

"Lae ah, what flavor do you want? I'll treat you." Luhan asked.

"Cotton candy!" she said right away.

"One cotton candy and one chocolate on a waffle cone please." Luhan said to the girl on the counter.

She got out two waffle cones and filled them with ice-cream. She handed us the ice cream as Luhan swiped his credit card on the machine. We walked out the store while we ate each of our ice-creams. 

"Lae ah, look," Luhan pointed to a store, "we should buy that. It would be fun." he suggested.

His eyes lit up like a child with a new toy. Lae ah couldn't resist that look on Luhan's face as she decided to buy him the toy.

"Woah. I've actually never tried playing with a tin can telephone before. Lets go on the field and play with this." he looked at the toy.

Lae ah nodded and they headed to the nearest park. Luhan his fingers clean as he was done eating his ice-cream. 

Lae ah took out some wet wipes and cleaned her fingers. Luhan brought the toy out and gave Lae ah the other can.

"I wonder how long this is?" Luhan wondered as he was trying to untangle the string.

"It saids here its 10 meters long, wow." Lae ah read the packaging of the toy. "Are you done?" she asked him.

Luhan gave her a thumbs up and began to back away from her. The string of the toy was now outstretched and Luhan stopped backing up.

They both sat down on the grass. Luhan put his ear to the cup and Lae ah put in the cup and said,

"Hello, Luhan. Can u hear me?".

From the distance, she could see Luhan smiling.  

"WOAH! IT ACTUALLY WORKS!"he exclaimed through the cup.

"So what do you want to talk about?" his voice changed from excited to normal.

"Uhm, I don't really know. How's Mrs. Lu and Mr. Lu doing? I haven't seen them for such a long time." she said through the can.

"They're great! They live in the same house we use to live in back then. How are your parents?" he asked.

Lae ah hesitated to answer his question for a moment. "My mom is working in America and my dad, well, he's probably watching over me from up there." she pointed up to the sky.

Luhan knew what she meant by "up there" and suddenly felt pity for her.

"I'm sorry about your dad Lae ah. I didn't know."

"It's ok." was all she said back.

He knew by the tone in her voice that she didn't want to talk about it.

"So, I see you and Minjin are still very much in touch." he changed the topic.

"Yeah, he kind of sat in your place ever since you left but he always sat in 2nd place in my heart after you. Then when we were about 15, he asked me out and we started dating until he left." she explained.

"Hehehe, that's my girl! I better not leave that place or else." he laughed, "I remember when you use to really like Minjin."

Lae ah's eyes formed into saucers, surprised at what Luhan said.

"Uhh, hehehe, let's go walk around again." she tried to get that topic out of hand.

"But we just started to play with this!" he whined.

Lae ah stuck out her tongue at him. She stood up and walked over to Luhan, wrapping the string around her hand neatly. She took Luhan's can and put the toy in her side bag. 

"Pull me up." Luhan said, holding his hand out for Lae ah to take.

She chuckled at his childishness before she took his hand, to pull him up. Instead of pulling him up, she was brought down.

Luhan pulled her arm causing her to fall down. He let go of her hand and held her waist as she was falling. 

He fell down with her laying his back flat on the grass as Lae ah's body was pressed on top of his. They were so close that Luhan felt the tickle of her breath on his nose.

He stared at her eyes which was full of anger. Lae ah stared back at his eyes which was bright and full of playfulness.

"YAH! What was that for?!" Lae ah exclaimed while she hit Luhan's shoulder.

He laughed at her as she continuously hit him. She rolled off to the side and stood up, brushing off the grass that was on her.

"Miahnhae." he said still laughing while he stood up.

She snarled at him and sent him a death glare before she kicked his shin. Luhan winced, holding his leg up while he tried to keep his balance by hopping on one foot.

Lae ah smiled, pleased at what she did to him. He sent her a glare and approached her with a smile that looked like the joker's.

"Yah, don't smile like that you look like a e." She backed away from him, afraid of what he might do.

He laughed as he caught up to her and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. She sighed in relief that he didn't kick or punch her. They started walking again and hoped to find something they can do.

Still with his arm around her, after 10 minutes of walking, talking, and teasing, they came across an outdoor concrete staircase with about 25 steps.

Luhan's eyes brightened up as he thought of a great idea.

"Lae ah! You wanna play a game?" he asked looking at her.

"Sure," she said with no hesitation, "what kind of game?".

"Ok, so its a rock paper scissors game. We rock paper scissors and who ever wins gets to go up a step and the loser stays at the same spot. Who ever gets to the top first wins." he explained.

"And the winner decides where lunch will be and the loser pays for the lunch." she added.

"Ok, deal." he ran to the starting of the staircase. Lae ah followed after him and they began to play. 

"Rock, paper, scissors." they both chanted.

Luhan won. He moved up one step. Then he won again, moving up again. And again, and again, and again.

By that time, Luhan was up 17 step, and Lae ah was only up at 10. In the end, Luhan won. Lae ah climbed up the rest of the way with her back hunched over. 

They met up at the top of the staircase. Luhan danced around in victory as Lae ah glared at him.

"Awee. Don't be a sore loser." He stopped dancing and walked over to her.

She clenched her hands into a fist and held it up, about to punch him again.

"Hey, hey, hey." he jerked back.

Lae ah sighed and threw her fist down. 

"Fine, I'll pick a place to have lunch and you don't have to pay for it, ok?" he wrapped his arms around her again.

"Ok! So you're going to pay?" her face brightened up.

"No, neither of us have to pay." he said, her eyebrows were knitted together, "Because we're going to eat at my parent's house."

Lae ah gave a slight gasp. "YES! I haven't seen them in such a long time!"

Luhan chuckled as he took his phone out and called a taxi company. The taxi came faster than Lae ah had expected because taxis usually take a long time to come.

Luhan sat in the passenger seat and Lae ah sat in the back. Luhan was giving the driver directions while Lae ah looked out the window recognizing their old neighborhood.

Back then, Luhan and Lae ah were 2 houses away from each other. They met at the park near the neighborhood and became friends. 

Their parents also became very close to each other. They use to have sleepovers and their families would go on trips together. 

Lae ah is an only child but Luhan isn't. He has an older sister who is 4 years older than them. She is currently studying in America.

The taxi stopped infront of the house and Luhan payed him. He got out of the car then, opened the door for Lae ah.

She stepped out remembering all the good memories they had when they were younger. She looked over to her left and down 2 houses was her old house. 

She smiled. The taxi drove off leaving Lae ah and Luhan alone.

"Well, we're here." he looked at the house with a smile. 

It was just like how she remembered it. The biggest house on the block. Luhan family is rich and she remembered the maids that worked there.

Her favorite maid was one of the oldest maids, Miyun. She was the one who would take care of them when their parents were away, and make them delicious snacks.

The best snack that she made was hwajeon, sweet rice cakes with edible flowers. She wondered if she was still working there.

"Lae ah, hello?" Luhan waved his hand over her face.

She blinked away her thoughts and smiled at Luhan. 

"Let's go?" he held his arm out.

She nodded and linked arms with him.