-1-

Standing On The Side Line

“There’s nothing wrong with worrying about you.” Hyuna says as she moves to the next line and the lunch lady places rice on her tray. “Don’t place the eggs, I’m dieting.” She tells the lunch lady as the older woman looks at Hyuna from hair to toes before shaking her head.

My feels exactly, I think as I look at Hyuna’s body. She is slim with the right curves on her body. She looks good with thin make-up and she has honey brown long hair that is curled down perfectly. All in all, she looks like a model having runaway rather than a high school student getting her lunch at the cafeteria.

“I know. But sometimes you worry too much.” I tell her with a sigh.

After getting our lunch, we go to our usual place near the window to eat. She walks with squared shoulders and I look at her from behind. She looks like she has nothing to fear at all. I shake my head and smile. Just as I take a step forward, someone bumps onto me, making me to wobble a little but luckily my lunch is saved.

“Look at where you’re going, loser!” Hana says out loud with her overly nasally voice that irritates most of the female population in the school.

I bite my lips to prevent myself from retorting back at her. Just before she can says anything else though, a figure looms in front of me.

“What did you say?” Hyuna glares at Hana with the most terrifying glare I have ever seen.

Hana gulps in fear as she straightens herself. It is no doubt that almost everyone fears of Hyuna. She is rich, beautiful, and of course, daring as well. Hana can never compete with her and that is one of the reasons why Hana hates Hyuna so much, and Hyuna hates Hana for being an attentive-seeker —oops, I shouldn’t have said that.

But whatever.

“Nothing.” Hana says, pretending not to be scared and walks away immediately with her three followers; Jungah, Yumi, and Soori. Those three are not her friends, but her apprentices or whatsoever they call themselves as.

Hyuna looks at me with squint eyes and I gulp.

“Sorry.” I say with Cheon Song Yi’s ways and she shakes her head in defeat before draping an arm around my shoulder and pulls me to our table.

“You should’ve said something.” Hyuna says disappointedly when I am about to get the first spoon of my rice.

Hesitantly I drag my spoon down back to the plate and look at her. “Well you know me.” I said, hinting that she knows me too well. She knows and frustrates at the fact that I will never raise my voice or get angry at someone. She says I have too much patience.

She places her chin on her propped hand. “That is why I’m disappointed.” She clucks her tounge. “You shouldn’t be scared to do something you’re not wrong about.”

“As much as it is true, you know I hate to attract unwanted attention.”

Then she smiles brightly. “That is why I am friend with you!”

I roll my eyes as I hit her shoulder playfully. “Is that so? Should I find someone else then?”

“Oh, don’t you dare!”

We laugh at our own stupidity, unaware that we are attracting attention. Hyuna’s laugh is lovely and over the fact that she is pretty, boys are drawn over to her.

After the lunch, we go back to our class, which is pretty much boring.

 

 

 

 

The team has practiced today. I separate ways with Hyuna and she gives me a long lecture about what should I do if Hana dares to pull anything on me. I nod my head to everything she says although I believe none actually gets through my thick skull.

I meet up with the teacher and he tells me to clean up the locker room first as the boys run a lap. I jog toward the janitor room where I have placed the cleaning supplies and take a pail and a washcloth. I go to the sink outside which is usually used when the students have outdoor P.E.

As I wait for the water to fill the pail, I look to the field and watch the basketball team running around the field. The sun is up on the sky, but they don’t look like they have broken into sweat. As much as I want to see Kai longer, the water has filled the pail more than it needed and I quickly turn the tap off.

I sweep, mop, wipe, and take trash away from the locker room. It is already neared five o’clock when I take dirty towels to an empty bucket. Dirty towels are the last chores I need to do and that means after this, I’m going straight home!

“You do really great today, Kai!”

My body freeze immediately at Hana’s nasal voice and dread takes over. If the team comes in when I haven’t done—which never happened before—I don’t know what will happen, but I most definitely don’t want to know. Hana has told me that she doesn’t want me here when the team has already done their practice and I’m officially doomed today.

I go to the nearest closet and hide myself. I can see what’s happening outside and I watch as Kai pushes Hana away and harshly says, “Leave. We want to take a bath.”

Hana pouts oh-so-cutely that I want to puke and sways her hips as she walks away.

The boys then start to go inside the shower room one by one until it leaves only Kai and… Luhan. I slow my breathing as I swallow repeatedly. This is so embarrassing. If they ever find out that someone has been hiding here—in this case myself—I’d be ruined for the rest of my life.

“Where’s the spare towel?” I hear Kai asks.

“I think inside the closet.” Luhan replies as he takes out his own towel.

Eh? Eh? EH??? I move backward and feel soft things behind my legs. Oh my Gosh! These are the towels! I panic and my lungs begin to pump faster. My breath starts to slow down—like really slow. My medicine! Where is it?

I frantically look for my breather in my pocket. I glance outside and see that Kai is walking toward the closet. I give up on searching and close my eyes when the door is opened.

“Who are you?” Kai asks after a long deafening silence.

 

 

 

 

“Are you serious?” Hyuna laughs at my story as we walk to the library.

The teacher for afternoon classes doesn’t come so both Hyuna and I decide to spend the rest of the time at library, as well as doing some homework. On the way I tell her about the misery that happened yesterday.

“So what did you do?” She asks as she pushes the glass door.

I follow her and speak with hushed tones. “I ran away.”

“Really?” She laughs again, but keeps the tone down.

“Yeah.” I sigh as I sit on a four-seat table.

This library only has either one-seat table or four-seat table.

“What was his reaction?”

I shrug. “I don’t know. I leave without glancing back. It was so embarrassing.”

“Well, I still think that’s funny.”

“Of course it was! You weren’t the one there!” I say as I open my history textbook.

Time pass quickly and soon the final bell rings, making me jump on my seat.

“Good luck, Inna.” Hyuna teases as we part ways.

I shoot her a glare before walk off to the basketball club gingerly. I am very very nervous and jumpy to what might happen. I just wish that Kai will forget everything that happened yesterday and doesn’t recognize me. Well, it’s more like I don’t want him to remember me for something as shameful as that.

When I reach the basketball club, I take a deep breath as I push the door open. There is only someone sitting on the long chair in the between of two rows of lockers. From the backside, I can only guess for the worse.

Kai turns around and our eyes meet. I dart my eyes away and swallow hardly. I can feel his penetrating gaze and that worries me.

“Who are you?” He finally asks, leaning forward as he put both his elbow on his parted knees. “Why were you in the closet yesterday?” I want to answer, but I cannot feel my tounge. He furrows his eyebrows and says, “Are you a ert?”

I snap my head toward him and give an immediate response. “Of course not!” My face flushes deeply in embarrassment at his thought. Oh God, this is the ultimate humiliation. Being asked whether  I am a ert or not by the guy I like is very very not right. “I… I’m the assistant manager.”

“We have assistant manager?” He asks, raising an eyebrow.

“…yeah.”

“What do you do?” He interrogates.

“Eh… cleaning… which by the way I need to work on as soon as possible.” I say and run off from the lockers room to the janitor closet. I stop behind the door and lean against the hard wood as I catch my breath. Oh God, that’s the first time I have ever talked to him! In a very odd occasion, unfortunately!

I take my usual supplies and go back to the lockers room hoping that he will have gone out. Luckily he does and I do my job.

Around five o’clock, I have already done the cleaning and I put the stuff back to the janitor closet. I pass the lockers room and see that Hana is inside, deliberately pressing her large chest on someone’s arm in the team. I don’t really care who that is because even the dumbest person knows that that someone is not Kai.