-17-

Standing On The Side Line

I know from the start that L is different from Kai. Very different. While Kai will read story quietly and focused, L don’t. He looks like he eats sour apples when he reads my story and while I understand that he’s the one who can’t take mushy words, I still feel quite annoyed.

“Well, ahem, it’s great,” He praises and smiles. I feel like punching him.

I’m not a violent person, but when he says it’s great I just feel like punching him. He really doesn’t feel it’s great and he lies. Though I know my story is not bad, his praising the story without actually understanding the storyline makes me feel annoyed. I know I’m consciously trying to compare him with Kai and of course Kai will win undeniably, but still!

I feel a type of regret that I actually choose to be with L now. Hyuna will scold me of course. She will say the line ‘Huh, you haven’t been dating him yet and he already has you wrapped around his finger,’ and to avoid that, I force myself to smile at L out of courtesy.

I take my notebook and begin to continue the story I’m writing, completely ignoring him. I am aware of L’s stares though. Well, he can’t be more obvious with one leg crossed over the other and an arm to prop up his chin as he stares at me. It’s annoying, but I focus myself on the notebook.

Sitting in a popular café isn’t helping though. Unlike (again I’m freaking comparing! But I can’t help it!) Kai who seems to prefer serene places—which undoubtedly very unlikely his image (which is rowdy and party people image)—L chooses somewhere that most people like to go.

Like this café, for an example.

He drives a sport car with one which the top part can be opened up, and it’s silky silver, but honestly, after sitting on Kai’s big Harley-Davidson which has given me shock but turns out very nice to sit on, I prefer the motorcycle; hands down.

Many girls like to have boyfriends with car to drive around, and I’ll be no hypocrite; I would want one too. But if the guy I like only drive a big rebellious motorcycle, then I’ll go for it. The point lies on the person, not on the object right?

L may be the person most girls will choose, but I stay rooted on Kai. I don’t know if L is as hardworking as Kai is, but I know that he’s not slacking. He is a great guy, I know. It’s not wrong that he drives cool cars and goes to popular cafés, but that’s just not my thing you know? I know out there, there’s a girl for her. But unfortunately that girl is not me.

Biting my lip, I make an action I’m not sure will be regretting. I look up at L to see his awestruck face and I feel totally bad. I feel like a mean girl; the one who isn’t afraid to put her feet down. “Hey, hmm, L?”

He nods as a sign he understands what I’m saying.

“I need to go now,” I say, feeling bad. It is just an excuse to get away. Even though it’s great to be in a café like this—who am I kidding? I still rather be somewhere quieter.

“Huh?” He blinks and stares at me as I pack my stuff. After throwing everything inside my bag, I smile apologetically and bid goodbye to him. “Wait, let me get you home,”

“There’s no need! I still need to go somewhere first.” I say quickly, and before he can stop me, I rush out. I run toward the nearest bus stop in hope to catch the first bus that arrives. I’ll just get off on the next stop if the bus isn’t going down the road I want to go.

While catching my breath in the bus, I take out my phone and press Hyuna’s number.

She picks up at the first ring. “How does it go?”

“Boring,” I reply almost immediately.

“Oh wow. Where did he bring you?”

“Café; the one’s downtown.”

“That you’ve been talking about how mainstream it was?” She laughs. I can imagine she’s falling over her chair or something.

“The one and only,” I shake my head, laughing as well.

“Oh God, you must be miserable,”

“No, not really. Just bored.” And creep out, I add in my mind. With the whole staring L’s done, I am questioning how can I still alive? I should have melt because of the tension he’s been giving me.

“Okay. Where are you now? Do you need me picking you up?” She asks.

“No, no it’s okay. I’m on a bus. If the bus is going the road I’m going too, I’ll just be sitting here then,”

“And where, may I ask, are you getting off at?” She asks with a tone I have grown accustomed to.

“Hmm, I don’t know. But I think I’ve left something in my locker. You know; that homework we should submit tomorrow,”

“Oh really? I don’t remember any,” She chuckles, going through my lies.

“Well, I think I have,”

“Oh well, good luck then,” She says, and then adds, “finding that homework home.”

I bite my lips to suppress my laugh, and hang up.

Well… I hope I do

 

Rather than going to my locker, I walk around the school ground and to the outer part of basketball field. I hide myself behind the bushes as I peek over the bushes to see if there is my dream guy out there. To my utter disappointment, the guy I’ve wanted to see isn’t there with the other guys, and I feel sad. He’s the captain, so isn't he supposed to always be in every practice?

Sighing, I close my eyes in sadness. Turning around, I open my eyes and gasp, falling over to the ground.

Kai is looking at me with questions in his eyes, and slowly he smiles. Standing up in his sleeveless basketball uniform and sweat drenching his body, he looks like a Greek God. I feel like staring every day at him, but I know one of those moments I’m gonna drooled over him and it’s going to be nasty. Ew, even the thought itself brings chaos to my mind.

“I thought you’re going home with Myungsoo?” He asks, and if I don’t know better, I’d think he’s jealous. But of course he’s not that uncool you know. He can’t be jealous over me; who he knows better isn’t crushing on him.

“W-Why are you here?” I divert the question, and he raises his perfectly curved dark eyebrow. Oh, that eyebrow!

“Well, I am just on my way getting back to practice after drinking at the water fountain. What are you doing here?” He grins. “I suppose this means you’re not going home with Myungsoo? Because I’ve seen him gone you know.”

“I…I came back because I’ve left something in my locker,” I fib, feeling bad. Ugh, how many times do I have to feel bad today? And I think I’m just getting better at lying.

“Uh-huh. This is totally the way to your locker,” He counters, obviously seeing through my lies. Maybe I’m not getting better—ugh, I’m not good at all at lying!

“Well, I…I have to take something from Luhan too!” I fib more, and that’s totally crazy doing. Why the hell do I bring Luhan in? Stupid, stupid me! He’s so gonna find out.

“Oh really? But Luhan files a sick in today. He doesn’t come to practice.” He lazily speaks, eyes looking down at me as if telling me to tell the truth already.

I laugh stupidly, then racking my brain for something good, and thank god. I find one. “Luhan told me to get his stuff. So I’m here because I just want to see if the coach is there. I want to ask his permission to get inside the locker room.”

“Why do you need one?” He counters again, and I feel like choking him. “You’re the team’s manager. You can get in and out as you please.”

“But I am a polite person.” I counter back. Lying is not my forte, but I have to keep going and find a believable reason. How, do you exactly explain the reason you’re hiding behind the bushes rather than peeking to see your crush? Huh. And he’ll begin to question who that crush is.

“Oh yeah. Of course.” He chuckles. “You know what; take that something Luhan told you to get and wait for me outside the locker room. I’ll bring you home.”

Okay, another order. He doesn’t exactly ask if I want him to bring me home or not. He doesn’t offer; he states. And even though for some people it feels rude; for me it feels like bliss.