-20-

Standing On The Side Line

I have just finished my last final exam at school! Like, the last one! Except my nationwide final exam before graduating. That's still two weeks to go. Anyway, I'm just so happy that I think of updating the story. Love you all for your patience! I'm really sorry about the hiatus for like, four months? But I've told you about it on chapter 19! But anyway, for those who cannot be patient (I'm not angry or mad; I'm happy actually lol) this is the update! Adieu!

Subscribes. Comments. Upvotes

____________________________________________

 

The clock has twelve but I still haven’t fallen asleep yet. My eyes are wide staring at the ceiling while my fingers rub the rosary bracelet which is now wrapped round my wrist. When I close my eyes, a laughing Kai comes into my mind; making it impossible for me to sleep.

Sleep seems to be the farthest thing in my mind. I turn to the side, one hand under my head, the other just lies on my side. Does Kai like me? The thought runs wild in my head, and I can’t turn it down. I can’t decide what I’m feeling but I know one for sure; hopefulness. The hope is high, aye, but a false hope as a possibility is high as well. I don’t like feeling like this; unsure and nervous.

Why does he give me his rosary bracelet? Isn't this bracelet means a lot for them who are highly religious?  Those who wear rosary bracelet or necklace occasionally treasure it very much. So why does he give me—oh okay, he’s lending me it; but still!  

It makes me feel giddy inside; hoping for something that can be more. But my hopes are flushed down by a mere flashback. If I don’t know better, I’d think you like me.

Oh yeah, good for him to play my feelings so easily!

 

Morning comes and I get down to the kitchen looking like a zombie.

“Omo!” Mom gasps. “Did you not sleep?”

“Can’t. sleep.” I mutter as I pour cold milk into a glass, and drink it quickly. “Bye mom. I’m leaving first.” I wave goodbye as I walk out from the house; wobbling like a drunken Jackie Chan.

I yawn as I wait for the bus. A few people are standing at the bus stop as well. Everyone look less or more like me; sleepy and tired. For different reasons, I can imagine. When the bus I’m supposed to get in appears, a familiar black and big motorcycle appears before my eyes. The owner of the motorcycle takes off his helmet and gives me that worthy-like-CF smile.

My eyes stare wide at Kai as he pushes the helmet I have been using recently to me. I look at him unblinkingly. He shakes his head and puts the helmet in my head, before motioning me to get on. The bus has stopped behind his vehicle; and begins to make loud noises that make me get a lot of annoyed looks. Blushing in embarrassment, I hop on his vehicle, and he quickly drives away.

We arrive at school with lot of looks from the students. Some of them who are in the parking lot look at us in disbelief; well I get that feeling as well. I am in state of disbelief as well. Why is he doing this? Why is he bringing me to school? I mean, it’s not as if he picks me up from home; but still, you know what I mean.

“Omo omo omo,” Hyuna appears with her Cheon Song Yi’s omo. She puts her arm around my shoulder. “How come the two of you appear together?” It’s what she says when I appear before my locker.

“I saw her waiting for the bus. So I just think why let her wait if I’m going on the same way?”

Oh. So it’s like that. Well, hope, you’re crushed again.

“Thank you,” I finally say when I turn around, closing the locker behind me.

He smiles and I fake one too. He probably doesn’t understand why I don’t smile brightly as usual like how I usually do around him; but I just can’t right now. My heart’s hurting because my stupid hope once again gets crushed down.

“I’m going to class first.” I chide and smile one last time at Kai before dragging Hyuna away with me.

“What was that?” Hyuna asks, bewildered. When we sit in our class, she turns me to face her and hisses, “What was that about?”

My eyes blankly look at her. “What was what?”

“Oh you know what I mean!” She glares. “Why are you looking strange?” She cups my chin and makes me look into her eyes. “Did you get any sleep last night?”

“Barely.” I reply and yawn.

“Why did you deprive yourself of sleep?” She asks in a scolding tone.

“It’s not like I intended to do so.” I mutter. “It just happened to be so,”

 Our conversation is cut short as Teacher Im walks through the door, and the students’ chatters quiet down.

“As all of you know,” She starts, “The festival is coming soon and the awaited drama this year is quite a nice one I might say. After seeing the students practicing the stage for some times, I can safely say this year’s drama is going to be a hit!” She squeals.

I want to yawn but I hold back. My head’s hurt because of her and I know it’s mean to say that about your teacher, but I just can’t help it; she’s like a dolphin.

She blabbers over and over again that I feel my eyelids dropping. Soon, everything is dark.

 

“I can’t believe you fell asleep!” Hyuna screeches as we sit under the tree.

Because of my drowsiness, I get a detention for sleeping in class, which I have never done before and Hyuna is about to start her scolds when I put a hand up, making her to stop before even starting.

“What’s wrong?” She asks, raising an eyebrow.

“Just not getting enough sleep.” I mutter, rubbing my eyes.

Hyuna doesn’t say anything as she unwraps her food, which is a kimbap that is sold in a convenience store.

“You eat that?” I ask, wondering where her diet foods.

“Well I’m losing strength these days so my doctor advises me to eat rice once in a while. So I bought three of these. Here, eat one.” She smiles and I feel my heart bursts in bubbles.

“Thank you!” I say really gratefully. After lunch, we go back to our class, and continue our lesson.

 

 

The last bell rings, and I immediately go to my locker to put some books before running to the basketball locker to clean up like usual. Even though it isn't necessary for me, I still do it because I don’t want the next time I go to clean up, it’s dirty like a pigsty.

After cleaning up, I put the equipments back inside the janitor’s room. The school is empty by the time I’m finished, and I am very aware of that. With the exams nearing, all the extra clubs stop their activity so everyone have more time to study.

“Hey,” The husky voice I’ve been dreaming of speaks, and I feel an unwanted tingle runs through my spine. I turn to see Kai leaning against the wall; his big motorcycle is parked near.

“Hey. What are you doing here?”

“Well I found you weren’t going home before and I thought why not wait for you. So here I am,” He smiles.

“Uh,” I bite my lower lip in haste. I have to think fast! And when it finally dawns to me that I actually have something I have missed, I smile at him. “Oh, God! I forgot I have detention today!”

“You? A detention?” He looks confuse. Of course nobody will believe that I have detention. I won’t myself if it haven’t actually happened.

“Well yeah. Got to get that one of my life, don’t you think?” I let out a nervous laugh. Fortunately—and unfortunately, detention starts after five because that’s when we are usually let off. But normally we go home at three, when we don’t have any extra class or in my case; assistant manager job.

“How did you get a detention?”

“I slept in class! I was so sleepy that I couldn’t help it! You know what, I’ll go now. See you tomorrow.” I fake a smile and go back inside the school, looking for the detention room.

 

 

My father picks me up from school with a jolly laugh; telling me that I’ve done well. My dad is apparently happy that I’ve gotten a detention; what a surprise! My father is unorthodox, but so is my mother. I guess they just blend well. I wonder about me. What’s unorthodox about me? I’ve been told for all my life how dull I’ve been. And I’ve got this stupid habit of avoiding problems instead of facing them. Like Kai. Instead of facing him and telling him about what’s on my stupid brainless mind, I choose to avoid him.

I think it’s because if he somehow looks me in the eyes and tells me how I’ve been over thinking about his kind gestures to me, I’ll be shame for all my life! I can’t help but think how a joke I’ll be if that happens. I just could not take a risk and for once in my life; be truthful about what I want.

I am honest, yes. But in terms of feelings? Oh, I’m a big fat liar. For the thought I cannot accept, I’ve been living in a web of lies that I make of my own.