-5-

Standing On The Side Line

The moment Hyuna, Junhong and I step into the ballroom where the dance ball is held, I am sure that I shouldn’t have come. The people inside are mingling and socializing, which are so not my thing. I gulp as Hyuna ushers us in excitedly; a grin is planted on her face as we stop by the refreshment. Junhong has left to find his friends, and Hyuna looks around, gaining attention from the onlookers.

She is wearing a dark red gown that hugs her curves perfectly, showing off her small waist and flat belly. The chest part is opened, revealing a bit off her s. I had fainted when she told me she’s buying that dress. I am practically as shock as I was. Her mask also complements the dress well. It is dark red with dark flurry around it.

She takes a glass of red stuff and I furrow my eyebrow in question. “Isn’t that alcohol?”

I can see her rolling her eyes despite being covered by the mask. “There’s no way they put alcohol, sweetie,” She uses the pet name my mom gives me. “We’re only high school students.”

“I thought you have forgotten that.” I say sarcastically.

The night drags on and around nine o’clock, music starts to play. At first it is a loud music and I corner myself to avoid the loud music. Hyuna has already gone with a guy who asks her to dance and my brother, my sweet little brother is nowhere to be found. Great.

I know it is a bad idea from the start and I curse Hyuna quietly. If only she hadn’t used her puppy eyes! Sighing, I walk around mindlessly around the sidewalk, where only a few people stay. Most of them have gone to the middle of the room to dance, and I am not even the slightest interested.

I find a door other than the one I had gone through, and since I am feeling bored, I open the dark brown door to find it leading to a small beautiful garden with a gazebo. My eyes sparkle at the sight of beautiful place and I let the door to close behind me.

Mesmerized, I follow the stony footpath to the gazebo. The gazebo is decorated with lights and flowers, making it look like it comes out from some sort of romantic movies—like in twilight. It is awesomely beautiful, and I find myself stopping in front of the place.

I don’t realize that there is someone else outside as I walk around the gazebo, admiring each side and decorated edge. It is until a cough was heard that I freeze, shocked to know someone is outside as well. The person taps on my shoulder and I gingerly turn around.

“Hi,” The boy says with a handsome smile.

He’s wearing a prince-like suit, and I have to say he looks good in that. He wears no mask, but I still don’t know who he is. I bite my lip as I reply him.

“So… are you a new student?” He asks, sitting down on a bench inside the gazebo. He notices that I am not following him, so he pats on the space beside him. “Come and sit. I don’t bite if you worry about it.”

I sit on the bench, but distancing myself at the approximate arm’s length. “I’m not a new student.” I reply as I look at him.

“Really? I’ve never seen you before.” He says. “I know all the beautiful girls in our school though.” He taps on his chin as if he has a serious concern over it. “Are you sure you’re not a new student?”

I nod.

He then stares at me for the longest time ever. I am certain that I will grow over five heads if he continues to do so. Eventually I cannot take his stare anymore and pretend to clear my throat. He comes back from his trance and gives me a smile.

“What class are you in?” He asks.

I blink, not knowing exactly how to respond. I don’t know him and I am sure that I will not give him my personal information. I’m being very careful because I don’t know whether this guy is trustworthy enough until I decide that letting him know what class I am in doesn’t exactly something I should worry about. “I’m from class 2-B.”

“What’s your name?” He asks, and before I can decide whether or not to tell him, the door opens and a head pokes through.

“L? What are you doing there?! You should be inside, dude! You only have a slight difference in the votes!”

The boy calls “L” shot up immediately, his eyes wide as saucers. “No way! Am I losing or winning?”

“With your disappearance, your votes might drastically go down. You need to come inside quickly or Kai might win tonight!” The boy says and I stand up at the mention of Kai.

“I’ll be there!” L says. He turns at me. “This is a very bad timing and I really want to talk more to you, but you see, I have a very important thing to do. I need to leave now.” He says, taking my hand into his and placing a kiss on the back of my hand. I jump at the surprise as he continues speaking, “I’d find you princess. Wherever you might be… but for now, I have to leave.”

Then he runs off back to the building, leaving me in shock.

“The name’s Kim Myungsoo anyway!”

 

 

I go back to the ballroom to find that everyone is busy looking at the stage. Someone is standing on the stage; presumably the MC. I stand at the side while watching what is happening. It doesn’t take long to know what is happening, since everyone is busy jolting down name on small papers before folding them and throwing them in a big bowl made of glass.

“Alright, alright! Please stop writing and stay still everyone!” The MC says loudly. “It’s eleven o’clock right now and it’s time to choose the King for tonight!”

O…kay. This is somewhat weird. Why don’t they choose the queen as well?

My question is answered later.

“The one who becomes the King will have to choose his Queen, and then they will dance to midnight!” The MC gleefully says, getting a loud response from the crowd.

I stare at them and chuckle lightly. This is funny, seeing them getting work up for something as silly as this. I step back unknowingly, and I bump into someone. The person grabs both my arms to steady me as I quickly turn to apologize.

I meet eyes with a pair of dark brown eyes that seem to my breath away. I know those eyes. And he is staring back at me as a flicker of possible recognition sparks in his eyes. I turn back immediately, feeling my heart still not responding and fail to any air. I calm my nerves slowly and my eyes flicker back to the stage, trying to focus on the occasion.

“Woohoo!” The MC says as his partner takes the papers out one by one as she calls out the name. I hear Kai’s name continuously and I feel my heart beat racing.

I can feel his eyes boring hole into my back, but assure myself that I am thinking too much. I am always wondering why do I feel like I had seen Kai, but I recall nothing except the first time I fell for him.

 

It was just one of the days when I had to go home late because of my turn in cleaning. I walked out from the school feeling sore and tired since my partner had ditched me and I had to clean alone. I passed by the basketball field and noticed that somebody was still out playing.

My interest was piqued so I walked closer to the field and saw a boy with tanned skin keep throwing the balls into the ring. I realized that he wasn’t that good, but what made me really interested was that the look in his face.

One would be tired when their throw didn’t get inside the ring and would mostly get angry and decide to quit it, but the look in the boy’s face was determination. He was focused and determined, not caring about the sweat that had rolled down from his forehead to his cheeks then to his neck.

I felt my heart swell in an indescribable way. He was like an Adonis; with the look that I could make a girl’s knees went weak and a body that every boy would want to have. I was, more or less, smitten as well. That day I went home with a newfound feeling; I liked him.

 

“…and the winner is KAI!” The MC says out loud and girls cheer happily. “Kai? Kai? Are you there?”

I feel a sudden brush on my arm and realize that he has just passed by me. He—now I can see more clearly—is wearing a prince-like cloth as well, with the color black with some gold strip at the outer line of the cloth. He goes up the stage and I can finally see his face. He’s wearing a mask that shows only half of his face. It is like the mask in Phantom of The Opera movie. He looks undeniably great in it. I feel my heart swell again just like the first time.

He stands on the stage with squared shoulders. His eyes wander and stop on me. I squirm unknowingly, feeling awkward as his heated gaze stays on me. I think I may have been a little paranoid. You know, a girl in love can feel like this; as if the guy they like likes them too. It is that kind of feeling.

A hope.

“Well, well! Our King tonight is very handsome, huh?” The MC says. “Who will you choose as your Queen, King Kai?” The MC loudly says and the crowd cheers again.

“Choose me, my lord!”

“Choose me!”

The loud, desperate voices of the girls are horrible and pathetic, so I step a backward a few times, hoping that the darkness can conceal me from the sight. The MC makes a gesture and the crowd goes silent. I look around nervously as the MC tells Kai to choose his Queen.

I’m not sure whether I’m nervous because he’s going to choose someone else or because I’m hoping he’ll choose me. All I know is that my legs are shaking, and I find no escape. My short wedges have become a bother for me as well, since I have never been good in wearing anything like sort.

Kai then moves, he walks down painfully slow from the stage; the spotlight never leaving him. My heart beat drums wilder as he makes his way to the crowd… slowly to my direction. I really don’t want to get my hopes up, but a little part of me believes that he’s walking to me.

He then stops and the crowd goes still.

My mouth hangs agape as he takes out his hand, offering me to take it.

___________

So hey guys! I've never written A/N here before except for the foreword and I just want to let you guys know how grateful I am with you all. Thanks for subscribing, commenting, and upvoting. I hope to hear more of you guys :) Let's love Kai together!

Saranghae~muach

And check the others by clicking this