-24-

Standing On The Side Line

The dining room was big. The chandelier hanging over in the middle of the room was , shining the room beautifully. Varieties of foods were placed on the tables. Three people sat with the head of the family at the head of the table. Kai sat in front of his mother, looking indifference. He ate the food silently, knowing how his father hated if they spoke when they were eating.

“So how was your school?” His father asked. Kai felt like rolling his eyes, but knew better. His father might have put some rules for the household, but if he was the one to break them, it was fine. Kai hated his father.

“Fine,” Kai replied boringly, spooning another food.

“I heard something unpleasant today from your teacher. He said you joined the basketball team?” His father asked sharply.

“We have to choose an extracurricular subject to boost our grades. The best chance for that is through the sport teams,” Kai fibbed. Though it’s true about boosting in his grades, the best chance didn’t actually through the basketball team. But Kai liked basketball so much he would do anything for it.

His memories went back to the time when he was five years old, the time when he first knew basketball. The neighborhood kids always play something in the park, and they always ask him to join. The first time Kai accepted the offer was when his parents went abroad, and he took the chance to play outside. The servants and maids knew about his escapade, but said nothing to the parents. They pitied him, of course. They always saw Kai looking out from the window when he was being tutored. Then when his parents were gone, he took the chance.

Basketball became a kind of happiness for Kai. He didn’t have much thought when playing, and even though he sweats—which would get him punish by his mother (if she knew)—he was always smiling. Whenever he went back to the mansion, the servants and maids would quickly help cover his trails.

Then one day, Mr. and Mrs. Kim came home one day earlier from the supposed flight. Kai went home bringing his ball, smiling, only to find his mother standing in front of the door.

“You’re lucky I found you first,” She said sharply. “Your father got a call before the butler could tell us where you have gone to.” She looked down at Kai in disgusted way. “Look at all the sweats and dirt! You look like those poor farmers whose son worked hard in the field. Heesun, Hani! Bring him up and wash him! Then lock him in the room until his father comes home.”

Kai cried and begged to his mother not to lock him up. His mother wouldn’t listen and kept walking away.

His father never knew.

Turning back to the dinner, Kai looked up to hear his father saying, “…the teacher told me that you should take the creative class. It will have boosted your grades even more than that lowly sport.”

Kai clenched his spoon. His jaw tightened, but he kept quiet.

Mrs. Kim stared at Kai with her cat-like eyes, almost telling him not to do anything.

Kai didn’t reply because his father didn’t mention him to change the subject, so he pretended not to know.

“You know, Mr. Kim,” Mrs. Kim said, “I think it’s time for Kai to choose what he wants. As long as he can take over your business, can’t he?” She remarked, giving Kai a look.

Kai didn’t reply.

 

“This is cold,” I complain as my brother places an ice-cream in my hand. “Why are we eating ice-cream in winter?”

“I buy it for you noona, you should eat it,” Junhong grins mischievously.

“Ugh, annoying brat,” I mutter as I put the ice-cream down.

Hyuna appears with a tray. Her long locks cover her face as she puts my plate in front of me and hers in front of hers. She puts the trays on the side so the waitress can take it.

After a long agonizing week at home for the winter season, Hyuna finally snaps and says that we should go out and take a long vacation. I mean yeah, we’re on vacation, but we should go out. Hyuna calls her mom and asks for a reservation in her uncle’s resort which location is still yet to tell. It’s in the middle of a forest, where there are good skis place thus the popularity. So far, our impromptu plan has gone so well I cannot complain.

“The snow is so white!” Hyuna gazes out the window.

I stare at her and see that her focus isn't on the snow, but on someone. I find a man standing outside with a group of men older than him. The male, whom I am sure Hyuna is staring at, is a pretty good-looking guy with perfectly gelled brown hair. He’s tall, slim, and fair-skinned. He’s talking with the group of older men while pointing at the land; probably about business or something. Suddenly, the male turns his eyes on Hyuna—at least I think so—sharply and I hear Hyuna gasps, turning back to the table.

I raise an eyebrow at her suspicious behavior. “I don’t want to pry… but do you know who that guy is?”

“Who? Who are you talking about?” She answers so quickly I know something is up.

“Hyuna,” I sternly call her name. “I saw the way you look at the guy. It was as if nothing was more important than the guy.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” She glares at me. Her eyes are teary as they look at me. I gape, disbelief at what I’m seeing. “I’m going to my room,”

She leaves me, and I can only sigh in confusion.

 

“Why are we here?” Kai asks boringly as his driver drives the car into the forest.

“Your father wants you to attend a ball that is going to be held at the Woo Resort. It’s a famous—”

“I know, I know.” Kai cuts him off in annoyance.

“Well, your father asked me to bring you there and I’m here only to do my job.”

“Damn your job,” Kai says as the driver snickers.

The driver, Woo Taehyung, is a friend of Kai. His father was Kai’s father driver and they grew together in Kai’s big mansion. Of course, Taehyung only played with Kai in secret; only in the knowledge of maids and servants. He sometimes pitied Kai for all the way Mr. Kim treated his son, but he couldn’t help but envy Kai at the same time. But no matter what, he loved Kai as a brother, whether or not the feeling was returned.

The car stops in front of the main hall of the resort and Kai steps out of the car when the footman opens the door. He looks bored as he walks inside the resort and looks around. He spots his father with the group of his acquaintances. Sighing, he walks to the direction.

“…this will be a great investment and the outcome will be enjoyed doubled,” Kai can hear the only young man in the group, Jang Hyunseung, speaks.

Jang Hyunseung is the type of cold-hearted, calculative, smart businessman. He’s twenty-six, and has taken over his father company at the age of twenty-two. He’s the brother of Hana, the former basketball team’s manager. Kai doesn’t like the guy, but he doesn’t hate him too. It’s just, in Kai’s eyes; Hyunseung is too similar to Kai’s father. Cold, uncaring, and greedy. At least that’s what Kai thought about the guy. Kai finally arrives at the circle, and all the men notice him all too quickly.

“Oh, Kai!” They all call him so friendly; but it is all so pretentious Kai wants to puke. He knows all about these kinds of people. They only take him so kindly because he’s Kim Youngwon’s only son—scratch that, only heir. Kai hates that he’s the son of someone so cold, but nothing makes him hating the fact more than the entire pretentious act around him.

“Your son grows so handsome, Mr. Kim,”

“Yes, he looks exceptionally good-looking, Mr. Kim,”

All the old men say excitedly. Kai slowly looks up to see Hyunseung, who stares back at him. He bets Hyunseung knows the feeling too. When he was small, he saw how old, hypocrite men praised Hyunseung in the same way the praise him now. They are too much alike, Kai thinks, that’s why they can never get closer. For a second, Kai thinks he sees Hyunseung’s lips curl up sinisterly. him, Kai thinks when he realizes Hyunseung is enjoying his misery.

“I believe Kai feels all the praises, gentlemen,” Hyunseung says smoothly. “Now, if you don’t mind, we’ll continue our talks,” The group of men murmur in agreement.

Hyunseung leads the group of men away, leaving only Mr. Kim and Kai alone.

“Why am I here? To see him flaunting all his greatness?” Kai remarks poignantly.

“I don’t understand your sentiments to him,” Mr. Kim says indignantly. “I do not call you up in the middle of nowhere to receive your displeasure. I want you to see how Jang Hyunseung works. He's the best businessman I know. One day you’ll be the one who takes over my company, and I don’t want it ruin because you don’t know how to work your way around. Those fools who praised you didn’t praise you for your intelligence, but more to your looks. I have to say I’m disappointed. It’s much better if you are known for your brain than your face,” Mr. Kim shoots hotly, and Kai feels anger boiling inside him. “Don’t look at me that way, you ungrateful brat. After all I’ve done for you, I demand you to pay me in the very way I know how. Be useful and learn.” He then walks away first, leaving Kai alone, staring at the old man’s back with fiery anger and disdain Kai has never felt so much before.