-7-

Standing On The Side Line

 

“…hi?”  I shyly greet, not knowing what to do.

“Hi,” He says as well, sitting down on the stool next to me.

My mind is in a whirlwind, wondering why on earth he is here. In my knowledge, he isn’t someone from here. I tilt my head to the side, looking at him curiously. I cannot open my mouth to ask him though; it feels somewhat awkward to do so. If my memory serves me right, last time I met him here as well.

I still look at him with a confuse gaze and a little bit lost. He chuckles, surprising me.

“Is there something on my face?” He quirks, raising one of his perfect eyebrows in the process.

I shake my head, still astounded by the fact that he is actually talking to me as if we are in some kind of friendship.

“Do you want a drink? I can go buy you know.” He says kindly.

“Er…” I am confused. Why is he being friendly?

“Wait here.” He sighs, standing up and walking away to the inner side of the shop.

I wait obediently just as I am told, looking at the rain as it pelt on the glass window. The rain seems that it will rain all night and I blow out an air, wondering how I can go home. As I am thinking about Junhong and praying that he will feel bad for making me to go here, a cup of hot chocolate appears in front of me and I look up to see Kai staring down at me.

His eyes are intense and I feel like my world is up inside.

I mutter a thank you and look down on my drink. He is really nice; buying me a drink even though we practically are not friends—acquaintance probably—but not friends.

“Why are you here alone?” Kai wonders, asking out loud. “Do you know it is dangerous for a girl to come out alone at night?”

“I went to buy this.” I show him the milk that I had bought and place it back on the counter. “What are you doing here?” I realize that maybe I better ask him back—out of politeness of course—not because I want to talk to him or what—yeah right, pfft.

“Clearing my mind,” He replies, glancing at me before looking away.

“What’s in your mind?” I ask before I can stop my mouth. I have been a really curious kid since I was a little girl and I just cannot help it.

He looks at me in surprise, as if wondering if he hears right. I mean, I’ve been really shy and quiet this all time—who knows I can be such a nosy person. Then he cracks a smile before replying, “Stuffs.”

“What kind of stuffs?” Here I go again, unable to keep my mouth shut.

Well, it’s not really my mouth because I’m practically drooling right now just by looking at his side profile. He’s talking to me and I can hear my heart beating crazily. And I want to talk to him as long as I can do it.

“Well… private stuffs.”

Oh, okay. That’s my cue to stop. I scratch my head sheepishly, not knowing what else to say. I’m very awkward right now. “Do you live around here?” I ask.

“No.” He replies, chuckling. Then he looks at me, catching my eyes with his.

His gaze suddenly change and the intensity in his eyes suddenly transmit to mine. I stare back at him without blinking, wondering what with the sudden change in his eyes. Tilting my head to the side, I continue to have a gaze competition with him.

A flicker of recognition flashes in his eyes and my eyes widen; thinking that this situation is somewhat familiar. My mind brings me back to few days ago when I attended the ball. I met his eyes as well and there was a flicker of recognition in his eyes.

I gulp, suddenly feeling self-conscious as I drift my eyes away.

He seems to break away from his spell as well. “Are you…” I turn back to him, waiting for him to continue his question. “Did you go to the ball?”

Shocked, I try to look for an escape. “Oh, look! The rain is over! I’ll have to go home.” I take the drink and stand up. “Thanks for the treat anyway!”

 

 

“CHOI INNA, ARE YOU NOT GOING TO SCHOOL TODAY?!” Mom’s loud voice booms inside my room, making me groan as I try helplessly to cover my ears with another pillow. “Get up and wash up right now, Choi Inna! Don’t make me to say it twice!” She pulls my blanket away, throwing it on the floor.

“Mom….” I whine, trying to get another minute of sleep.

I couldn’t sleep last night, thanks to the perplexing question by Kai, my one and only crush. Did he perhaps think that the girl that day was me? If then, that means he is amazing!

“Get up, Choi Inna. Junhong even has already left! You know he’s usually the one who is left behind!” Mom tugs on my arm, pulling me up forcefully.

“Another five minutes mom…”

“Inna! Another minute and you’ll be damn late!” Mom shouts, pulling me even harder. She pulls until my body is up and I stumble down on the bed, making me in the kneeling position. I groan helplessly and slowly get out of the bed, out of my comfort.

I walk to the bathroom with wobbly legs as my mom goes down to pack my breakfast since there’s no way I can finish it at home. I brush my teeth and wash my face, then change into my uniform. I look at my sleepless face and wonder if I can win a record for having the darkest bag eyes.

Huffing at my own stupidity—because I actually really think of it and not actually worry about my lateness—I go down with my school bag on my back, and bid my mom goodbye as I take the packed breakfast.

When I arrive at the bus station, I am surprised to see a familiar figure waiting for the bus. Kai seems to notice my stare and looks up, meeting my eyes. His face slightly changes become lighter and he walks up to me.

“Good morning.” He greets.

“Good morning.” I greet back. I wonder if he always takes the bus—I’ve seen him only that one time, and never anymore after that.

“So, are you usually this late?” He asks casually, looking at his watch.

I blush—I believe that my face becomes red. “N-no… it’s just I happen to feel a little lazy today.” I answer honestly. Well, not really though. When do I actually feel like I am NOT lazy?

“I see.” He grins. “I feel so as well today.”

I smile, thinking that he looks really good with that grin. Unlike erted grins I’ve seen in some movies—his grin is actually kind of nice. Like he is teasing you but only as a light joke.

“Well, I guess we can be late together.” I say and look at the coming bus. “It’s here.”

There is one thing I hate about being late. The bus will always be cramped by people who are late as well. I get inside the bus and scan my bus card, then go to the back door and stand in front of it. The next stop is my school, so it will be easier to stand right here, no? I feel a presence behind me and turn to see Kai stands behind me with cheeks flush.

Guess he has never been in a cramped bus before. Well, there’s a first in everything.

I giggle silently seeing him and he notices it. He gives me a raised eyebrow as if questioning me what I am laughing at. I cannot possibly say I laugh at him.

The bus suddenly jerks forward and Kai grabs my hand in time before my ugly face hit the door, but that make me to fall on him, hitting my face right on his solid chest. Luckily his other hand is on the handgrip so he doesn’t fall down on the floor.

That will be embarrassing.

“Aw…” I hiss and look up to see if he’s okay.

He’s looking down at me, his eyes once again flickers, but this time something else is inside; not recognition—it’s more like… familiarity.

He snaps out of his dazed when he realizes I’ve been looking at him. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. Thank you.” I sincerely say, detaching myself from the secure in his arms.

We both stand awkwardly side by side, waiting for the bus to stop as soon as possible.

 

 

The practice is longer today since the second competition is in days count. I have to stay back to help out, helping the team members when they need me. Hana is loitering around as usual, continuously flirting with the members who aren’t in the ring.

I cringe in disgust and immediately turn my gaze back at the practice. I’m sitting in one of the farthest bleachers since Hana has told me to stay away and ily spread false rumors that I have a disease. Not wanting to be mock any longer, I choose to sit at the farthest seat.

Kai is leading the game, his body is wet with sweat that profusely pouring down on his tanned skin. He looks so focused and determined, just like the first time I’ve seen him. Unconsciously my lips curl into a small smile and my heart flaps like a hummingbird.

Our encounter in the bus was a few days ago, and we haven’t talked since. I decide that he probably doesn’t want to talk with some loser like me, and that I shouldn’t get my hopes up just because he decides to talk to me twice—which we met by coincidence.

He probably was lonely at the time we met and struck up a conversation just so that he wouldn’t get lonely. I don’t really mind though; it was memories that I could treasure—knowing that I couldn’t and shouldn’t ask for more.

I don’t realize one of the team members has sneaked up to my seat and throws a bucket of water on top of my head. I freeze, feeling the coldness in my body slowly numbing my cell. The sound of running stops and I realize everyone in the room is just as shock—except for the person and his kind of group who decide to humiliate me.

I can hear the shrill voice of Hana laughing her off, and some of the not-so-famous-wannabe jocks laughing together with her. The person who did this to me, laughed out loud not so faraway from me and I feel my blood boil.

My eyes sweep across the room to find Kai squinting his eyes on me and I feel like a burden is on top of my shoulder. I want to cry seeing his face—I know how important the practice today since not all the team can always gather for extra practice.

I want to build a shell and live under a rock, but my body cannot even move.

Suddenly a towel wraps around my body and I look up in surprise; only to see Luhan glaring at his teammates—the wannabe jocks.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Luhan’s voice drips with venom.

The laughs die down and everyone is in the confused state of mind. Hana, being the only one who is flustered but can mask it down, walks up to me and Luhan. “Luhan, don’t you go near her! Who knows what disease she might has!” She laughs and the wannabe jocks laugh as well. “Come on, come with me back there!” She reaches the bleachers row I’m on and smiles flirtatiously at Luhan.

I can feel my cheeks flush, but due to the coldness it probably will not show.

“I prefer to get her disease than being with you.” Luhan snaps angrily.

Both mine and Hana’s eyes go wide, not believing his words. Is this the angelic Luhan?

“Just so you know, I don’t get my hands on ‘used’ girls.” He says and helps me up.

I gasp as well Hana’s. The room suddenly feels so cold and quiet, as if nobody dares to let out a voice; even not a cricket.

“I don’t know what’s wrong…” A voice says authoritatively and I snap my head toward the speaker’s direction, only to find Kai standing a few feet away, “But I’ll be grateful to have my practice not be disturbed again.” He looks at Hana sharply.

Hana stands still, unable to utter anything as the two of handsome boys look at her without any likeness in their eyes. I can understand Kai—he has his eyes only on basketball. But Luhan? That’s newsflash.

“And Choi Inna.” I freeze, noticing Kai has called me with full name, making me feel like I’m being scolded—and how he knows my name? “You can wear one of my spare t-shirts in my locker.”

I blink at him, confused to what he meant.

You can wear one of my spare t-shirts…

One of my spare t-shirts…

You can wear my shirt….

Blush creeps on my cheeks furiously; this time I’m sure even the coldness will not be able to cover it up.

“I’ll take it for you.” He says and walks down, going straightly to the locker room.

I can feel my breath hitched as Luhan helps me down.

Butterflies are flying in my stomach… again.