-6-

Standing On The Side Line

“It was amazing, Inna!” Hyuna squeals. “Do you believe me now when I said that balls aren’t all that bad?”

I shot her a look. “It doesn’t change a fact that you leave me okay?”

“But you got to dance with Kai!”

“He didn’t know who I was.”

“Oh yes he did, silly.”

“No, he didn’t!” My voice raise a little because of irritation, but then I drop the volume because we are in the library, chilling out like any other day before we go separate ways. The librarian shot me a look and I cower back. “Anyway, it was just a dance, and it’s not like he will remember it.”

“Well, if you didn’t run away and talked to him for a little longer, he might remember you.” Hyuna scoffs. “Why did you run away though?”

“He wanted me to take off my mask.” I say. “I don’t want to expose my face to everyone. You know his fans got a little crazy.”

“That means he is very interested in you!” Hyuna rolls her eyes. “You’re really dense sometimes. Don’t you think he would like to see his partner’s real face?”

“Well, I’d like to keep a low profile, okay.” I scowl when Hyuna flicks my forehead.

Hyuna does a mehrong. “I’d like to see you try.”

“Is that a challenge?”

“Not really.” Hyuna shrugs. She then looks at her time. “Oh dang! I need to go right now! My mom asks me to accompany her to some place.” She stands up and grabs her bag. “See you tomorrow hon.”

I wave a goodbye as I watch her disappear from my sight. Guess it’s time for cleaning again.

 

 

I arrive to the lockers’ room safely, much to my relief. It seems that nobody realized the girl who danced with Kai last night was me, and I’m happy about that fact. I don’t even want to predict what would happen if they know I was the girl last night.

I shiver as I go inside the lockers’ room. No one is inside; it seems that they have early practice.  I do my thing as I listen to my Ipod. Wake me up by Avicii is playing when the door opens, startling me. I turn and see Luhan.

“Hey, Inna.” He smiles brightly. “Did you go to the ball last night?” He raises an eyebrow in interest.

I smile sheepishly, not bothering to reply. “Did you?”

“Unfortunately I had something to do!” He pouts like a baby, which I find really cute since he does look like one.

I giggle at him and he beams.

“I know I’m funny.”

Then I laugh, my voice becoming louder. “Yes you are.” I say and turn around, continuing to mop the floor.

He looks at the mop then back at me. “Let me help you.”

I look at him in surprise. I didn’t think he would offer to help. “Eh… don’t you have practice to do?”

“Not really. Since my wrist was hurt, the coach let me off. Besides, he told me to rest as much as I needed.”

“Then you should rest.” I say. “If you help me, it will only restrain you from recovering soon.” He’s about to take the mop away, but I softly push him to the seat. “Just rest. I’d be done before you even know it.”

I continue to mop in silence. I don’t know whether he is still awake or asleep, but I don’t dare to peek. After mopping, I go to the next work, which is wiping the window. One of the windows is faced outside, so I get to see the team play. My eyes immediately go toward the captain of the team, with tanned skin and determined face. My heart swells again and it starts to beat, making me breathless.

Maybe I’m exaggerating, maybe I’m giving him too much credit. But I know my feeling and I have no way to control it. I don’t know whether or not it’s right to feel so much pride knowing that he wins the game—being the one putting the score to the highest.

Hyuna told me about the game that day—the one when I saw him with dark aura—apparently after the break and they went back to the game, Kai changed to be more powerful, more intimidating. He ran the game, and they won because of him.

I felt so happy then.

I watch as he orders his teammates and teaches some that don’t play very well. Despite his status and prestige, he is kind and down-to-earth to them who need him. Although so, he’s very well-known that he doesn’t like fangirls or any of sorts. He doesn’t do dates, but he sure has girls with him. I’ve caught him sometimes when he is with a girl, making out and doing inappropriate thing. I always run away before he could ever catch me, before he notices that someone is looking.

I close one eye and let myself continue to love him, because I know that no matter what, no matter if I try to erase this feeling, I can never do that. Because the one I fell in love with, is the one inside; not the one on the surface.

 

 

Kai throws the last ball into the box before taking his bad and locking the gymnasium. Being the leader of the basketball team, he has the authority to unlock and lock the room. He slung his bag over his shoulder as he walks through the hallway.

His mind wanders to the girl in his arms last night. The girl he had chosen to dance with him was peculiar. When he met those eyes, he had some sort of recognition, but then everything was forgotten once he was called up. When he danced with her, he tried to strike a conversation, but his effort was deemed fail as the girl continued to look down; as if she’s afraid he’d break her.

He has never interested in a girl before so he cannot say that he’s interested in this one. What he knows, is that he wants to see her eyes again. It is the most beautiful pair of soft sparkling eyes he had ever seen. She looked surprise when they met eyes, and he could only guess that it was because she recognized him.

Those eyes weren’t like any other eyes. Some has happiness, others have sadness. Hers were different. There were something else than meet the eyes.

In people eyes, he might seem as a playboy, heartbreaker, and a rich spoiled brat. But the fact is, he’s not. Sure he has girls with him, but those girls are the ones who throw themselves at him, not him courting them. He also never spoils the girls with expensive stuff; even buying them food or going out on a date—he has never done anything of those.

He is rich—but the money isn’t his. It is his parents, and he doesn’t want to spend the money on useless stuff. He wonders why people think about him like that; but realizes that they need something to talk about, something that can make them live.

So he let them be without correcting them.

Life has come and gone easy for him. He has everything that people wanted; people envied. If only they know… Kai thought as he plops himself down on the bed.

He wants to be a professional basketball player, but his wealth comes as a hindrance. His parents will want him to go to college, take business major, and take over the business once his father resigns. His life has been planned out even before he was born, and the fact that he has everything doesn’t mean he’s happy.

 

 

 

“Noona?” Junhong pokes his head through the gap.

I am currently lying down on my bed, scrolling down my page on tumblr. “Hmm?”

“I need your help.”

“What?” I ask without looking, continuing to scroll.

Junhong rolls his eyes. “Have some manner please. Look at me while we’re talking.”

Grunting, I turn my head and look at him. “What now?”

“Mom wants to buy milk. I’m going with my friends, so you’ll have to go.” Then he closes the door without letting me to say anything.

“YA—” I stop myself as I realize it will be futile to call him back. He won’t listen anyway.

I close my laptop and stand up, changing my tank-top and shorts into something more decent to go out with. I wear my favorite t-shirt—a caricature of Song Ji Hyo printed on the middle—and ¾ blue jeans. I wear a black jacket over my shoulder then I go down to meet my mom. She gives me money and tells me to come back quickly, and that she will scold Junhong when he comes back later.

Serves him right.

I walk down the familiar street and hum softly. The night air is nice tonight; not too hot yet not too cold. The wind also doesn’t hit me on the face like last time. Well, I can get a nice walk surely. I arrive at the convenience store and I go in. The workers greet me as I walk toward the dairies section.

I take two cartoons of milk and go to the cashier to pay for them. Once outside, I notice that the sky has gone darker and sound of thunder can be heard. What the…

Before I can even take another step, heavy rain pours down.

Great. Just great.

 

 

Kai drives his car to the familiar night street of Hongdae, and stops across the convenience store. He always goes there when he feels lonely or bored. He likes to see people walk along the pathway, going out and in into the shops. He feels less lonely doing so, thinking that he is one of those people who actually has thing to do.

He doesn’t need to do anything because everything has been done for him. He is sick of that, but he finds himself unable to say anything because he does it for his parents.

Just as he deludes himself into his own world, heavy rain pours down, startling him. He must’ve not noticed the loud thunder. He starts the engine, but before he drives his car, he sees someone. His eyes squint as he recognizes the person who he is looking at.

There’s no way he could forget her.

He smirks—finally something to do—and turns his body to the back to take an umbrella. He opens the door and his umbrella at the same time. Having putted his car key inside his back pocket, he slowly walks toward the convenience store where he has seen her.

She looks like a lost lamb—and a bored one at that. She slumps down on one of the chairs inside the convenience market as she stares outside at the rain. Kai stops for a second, his eyes linger on her for a little longer than she would have liked.

She looks somewhat familiar—not that he doesn’t know her— but there’s just something about her that he finds really familiar. Putting aside the thought, Kai walks forward again to the convenience store. She is still looking outside when he gets inside.

Placing his umbrella inside the umbrella basket, he shakes off some droplet of rain water on his shoulders before walking toward the sitting dense girl. When he finally stops right beside her, she turns her head up and gasps.

He smirks inwardly, thinking that it is going to be fun.