-10-

Standing On The Side Line

HELLOOOO EVERYONE! I'm sorry for the wait! I'm back for this story ;) BTD is finished so check it out for those who wait for the story to end first then read. ENJOY!

Subscribes. Comments. Upvotes

___________________________________________

 

I sigh as I let myself fall onto the bed. My mind wanders back to when I asked Kai to come in and eat dinner, to which he declines politely. I feel like a fool for asking him. Especially since we aren’t close and he isn’t my boyfriend or anything. I just feel really stupid.  Of course he would decline my offer!

Groaning at my stupidity, I place my arm over my face. After a moment of drowning myself in pity, I take a deep sigh and sit down. “Stupid, stupid stuuuupiiidd!” I mutter and hop out of the bed, going to the kitchen to get a drink.

Junhong is sitting on a chair as he leans against the counter, looking dazed. I gag as I stare at his love-struck expression and make my way over the sink to grab a glass. After pouring myself cold milk, I stand across him as I wait for him to notice my appearance. When he finally does, he almost falls down to the floor.

“What the heck!” He shouts, putting a hand over his chest as I laugh out loud, clutching my stomach.

“Oh god, you look so stupid!” I manage to say as I continue on laughing.

After a while we settle down sitting across each other as I take out a bag of Oreo from the drawer. We silently nibble on the food as we both drown ourselves into our own thought—until I decide to question him.

“Who are you thinking of?”

Junhong, who is sipping on his water, chokes and splutters out the liquid. I groaned when the water gets onto me.  He glares at me. “What did you say?!”

“I ask you, who are you thinking of?” I shout, glaring back.

“What do you mean by that! I’m not thinking of anyone!” He denies which I think is stupid because I can see through his lies.

“Alright. Whatever you say, brother. Just saying, if you, you know, want to talk to someone about someone, you can find me.” I said and left before he could reply.

I went back to my room and drifted to sleep, dreaming of dark locks and brown eyes.

 

 

It was one of those days when I didn’t have anything to do while waiting for the time to pass by so I could go start my job to clean. I waited in the library, reading a novel I brought with me from home. It was to kill time, really, especially since Hyuna wasn’t here with me to accompany me through the day.

I downed myself in Secret Fire by Johanna Lindsey and passed the time just like that. When the final bell of the day finally rang, I closed my book and took my bag. Clutching my book, I went out from the school building. I passed through the grassy way, which was near the basketball court. I heard sounds of grunting from the basketball court and curiously walked over to the wired fence to see what the sounds were.

My eyes widen when I saw a guy lying down on the middle of the court as some senior boys hit him.

“I told you not to be so arrogant and lower your eyes when you talk with us! But what, you said that we are the same?! I’m your senior and the captain of this team! If you don’t like how I play, then get out of the team, you bastard!” The captain said while throwing punches. The beaten boy covered his head with his hands smartly. He knew he wouldn’t win, so he didn’t punch back. “The you’re thinking you’re better than me. You arrogant , just because you win the MVP last season doesn’t mean you have the right to step over us. We ARE your seniors, you .”

The senior boys then spat on the ground before leaving the premises. I immediately knelt down and hid behind the bushes, watching the seniors leaving. I peeked at the body and squinted my eyes. I gasped when I recognized the person.

It was Kai.

He was lying on the ground with one arm draped over his eyes. I didn’t know whether he was crying or sleeping, but I knew that he wanted to be alone. So I silently left the premises, wishing good luck for him.

 

 

I wake begrudgingly at six o’clock when I realize it is Saturday. I feel my grumpiness coming as I rise to sit and look up to the ceiling. I wonder what makes me feel so tired. Stretching my body, I groan as I hear my bones cracking. “,” I curse and get out of my bed.

After washing up, I go downstairs to the kitchen and take out a box of pancake mix, and decide to make breakfast for the family. I pour the flour into a bowl and crack an egg, then pour some water in it. When the dough is done, I take a pan and pour some oil to heat up.

Mom walks in to the kitchen at the same time I finish making the pancakes and she smiles.

“Wow, my little baby is cooking breakfast. What a surprise,”

“Well, I wake up a little earlier so why not,” I reply modestly.

“I’m going to prepare the syrup. You go call your dad and brother up. We’re having Saturday family breakfast.”

Nodding, I bounce up the stairs to my parents’ room. Smirking, I jump into the bed, crushing my dad with all my weight.

“Ufffff, sweetpie, get off me! You hurt me!” My dad says pathetically. “You’re hurting this weak man, honey.”

“Just get up and wash up dad! Mom’s waiting downstairs.” She paused before continuing, “I cook breakfast.”

Dad’s closed eyes open, and I glare at him.

“Seriously dad?”

“Well, it sounds serious. I’m going to get up now, honey.”

I groan in annoyance before huffing. I then go to my sweet brother’s room, finding him only having his boxer on. I squint my eyes before taking a plastic ball in the middle of the room, then throw it on him. He jumps in surprise as I suppress my laughter.

“DAMN IT NOONA!” He growls as he gets off the bed and throws the ball to me, and I duck in time before the ball hit me squarely on the face.

“Well, wash up and have breakfast. We’re going to have family quality time.” I smile, annoying him even more.

“Just get out!”

 

I spend the rest of the weekend at home, alone and happy. I don’t really like being in the presence of another being, but my family and Hyuna are the exception. My parents go out on a date on Sunday evening, leaving me alone because Junhong has some group study. Meh, he’s a little liar but we don’t stop him from going anywhere. My parents give us the liberty to do what we want as long as we stay out of major problems—like really, drugs, bullying, and others. They can see past thing as going to skateboarding—which only Junhong’s doing. I, on the other hand, am the kid my parents can count on.

When the clock strikes seven, I go to the kitchen to find something to fill my growling stomach. Stupid me fell asleep, and I wake groggy. I heat up some leftover from lunch and eat it deliciously. My mom’s cooking seriously is the best. I don’t mind living with my mom after getting married.

After fulfilling my stomach’s desire, I look for sweet cold desserts my mom usually supplies in her fridge. I pout when I find none of them. Grunting, I walk toward the living room and dump myself on the couch, wondering whether or not to go out and buy ice cream.

A moment later I find myself shrugging a coat over my shoulder and taking a few bills my parents left for me in the cupboard in case of emergency. Well, the kind of emergency they are talking about is a different kind of my ‘kind’ of emergency. I do not dwell on it much as I thank my parents for the money in my heart.

I lock the door and walk through the small garden my mom takes care of everyday. The night air is fresh, and I find myself breathing in air greedily, as if I’ve been confined too long. Noticing how quiet the neighborhood area, I walk quickly out of the residential and to the night street. It is bustling with people ranging from young to old, everyone taking their time enjoying the night.

Inside the convenience store is cold and empty. The area is bustling with energy, but it seems people in no need of convenience store soon. I take my sweet little time choosing ice cream. My eyes gleam at the sight of such heaven. Taking the largest tube of cookies and cream flavor, I grin. I practically jump out from the convenience store with a large smile on my face, hugging the ice cream happily. Walking back home, I notice how dull my life in comparison of the people walking around, but feeling the cold sweet dessert in my arms make me think that nothing can beat ice cream’s way of making me happy. As dull as my life is, I feel happy though. And I think, that’s the best thing that I should feel.

I am already near my neighborhood when I hear the sound of people fighting. Shocked, I gulp as I thought of what to do. I don’t know whether to be nosy or just leave, because you know, that’s what people like me should do. The cowards. But hey, being a coward isn’t such a bad thing when your life’s on the line. Besides, I don’t like being a heroine, and if that means staying out of trouble, then I should do just that.

I make up my mind and turn around to leave, but the sound of a man’s whimpering weakens my determination. Groaning silently I tiptoe toward the direction of the sound, and stick myself close to the wall so they can’t see me.

“You ing , I better not see you around anymore. You hear me!?” I jump at the raised voice, but make no voice.

When I am sure the bad guys have left, I peek out from the wall to see the beaten man on the ground, whimpering and hurting. I run toward him and kneel beside him.

“Hey, are you okay? Mister, are you okay?” I ask, shaking him.

He groans painfully and opens his eyes. Hey… he isn’t a man! He’s a boy, not much older than me, I presume. His face looks familiar as I look at his bloodied face.

“Hey, come on, I’ll take you to the hospital.” I say kindly and try to help him up.

Instead of taking my help, he pushes me away and I stumble back. Wide-eyes, I stare at him as if he is crazy.

“I don’t want to go to hospital,” He grunts, pain visible in his face.

I bite my lower lip, wondering what the hell he wants. I can’t just let him be like this. It’s against my conscience and seeing him bleeding just strike something in my heart. “Fine then. I’ll bring you to my house and put on some medicine. I won’t bring you to the hospital.” I don’t know why I say that, but I am very sure he won’t be going home in that condition. If he doesn’t want to go to hospital, what are the chances he will be going home?

His eyes flick toward me in surprise and I just stare back at him blatantly. I walk away, not knowing whether he is following or not. When I hear sound of footsteps echoing near me, I breathe out a relief. I unlock the door quickly and lead him in, telling him to sit on the couch as I rush to the bathroom, open the cupboard and take out the first-aid box.

Placing the ice cream tube in the fridge, I walk back to the living room and shrug off my coat, placing it on the space next to him. I kneel in front of him as he flinches and looks at me with watchful eyes. Well, we’re strangers, so I understand what he’s feeling. I mean, come on, in the 21st century, when will you meet such an angelic creature like me? I practically bring home a stranger who I don’t know whether he’s a serial killer or psycho and try to clean him up.

After wiping the blood away, I put some alcohol on the cotton bud and bring it up back to his face. As I dab carefully his wounds, he looks at me with questioning eyes. He subtly winces when I press too hard, and I mutter a soft sorry.

When I have put on some bandages on his wounds, I clean up and put the first-aid kit back to the bathroom. I walk out to find him sitting stiffly on the couch.

“Are you hungry?” I ask, walking toward him.

He doesn’t answer. He just looks at me and then turns his head away.

“Well, I am craving for ice cream so don’t mind me if I eat in your face.” I smile and bounce to the kitchen, taking out the cookies and cream which has been waiting for me.

I eat in silence as I turn on the TV. He moves slightly here and there, making soft noises. “Are you living alone?” He asks.

“Nope. My parents and little brother are out. They’ll be back soon though.”

“And you’re not going to kick me out?”

“Why should I? You’re going to leave when you want to.” I snort.

There is a pregnant pause. “I’m Myungsoo.” He says. “You can call me L though.”

I turn and stare at him. “I’m Inna. Choi Inna,” Grinning, I stretch my hand for him to take.

Smiling he takes my hand. “Which school do you go to?”

“Hmm? I go to JeonHwa High. You?”

“Hmm, funny. I go there too. Why haven’t I seen you before?”

“I’m from 2-B.”

“Oh, really? There’s this girl from 2-B too.” He chuckles. “But I didn’t know her name. Perhaps you know? She’s long black hair and fair skin. Hmm…” He stares at me before going silence. I wonder what he is thinking. “Did you…” He moves closer and stops in front of my face. “Did you go to the ball that day?”

“Huh? What ball?”

“The dance ball.” He says and I rewind back the memory of me dancing with Kai.

I unknowingly blush and he squints his eyes.

“Did you?”

I shake my head. “N-No.”

“Oh.”

Yes, oh. I think. I stand up immediately, bringing the tube up with me. Turning off the TV, I walk to the kitchen and place the tube back into the fridge. I turn back to the living room timidly. “Hmm, L, do you mind…?” I ask, eyes flickering to the door.

He seems to get the hint because he stands up despite the pain. “Yes of course. Thank you for your hospitality. See you tomorrow, Inna.” He smiles and limps out of the house.

I just sigh, wondering why I feel jumpy that he mentions the ball.