-16-

Standing On The Side Line

HAPPY NEW YEAR SWEETIES! This is my present for you <3 I'm holed up in my home, writing story. I should go out and have fun, but I've done that. So I was thinking to update for those who are as miserable as I am (just kidding because I AM NOT miserable) and wait for somebody to actually update story. Here for those who wait! Once again, Happy New Year!

Subscribes. Comments. Upvotes.

______________________________________

 

My breath hitches silently and I want to look away, but his eyes captivate mine. I can’t turn my head and I just stare back idiotically, letting him to catch me in the act. But then he curls his lips in a charming smile; almost blinding me, but I unconsciously smile back. The ice cream I’m eating has long been forgotten, and I turn to my hand, cold with the melting green tea.

I gulp, feeling stupid. This green tea is what Kai brought me and yet! Yet I let it gone just like that. Stupid.

But then Kai just laughs and his eyes turn into a slit that I know I will love. He grabs tissues out of his back pocket and takes my hand (he grabs my hand, my GOD!), throwing away the cone and wiping my hand. He’s so gentle and so kind; my heart throbs for him.

I watch him clean my hand and I feel somewhat embarrassed. I’m the girl, you know? But I’m messy, clumsy, and unorthodox. After cleaning my hand, he throws away the tissues and gives me my notebook back.

“It’s not bad.” He says, and my heart swells at his praise. “It’s still rough brainstorming, but not bad.” He smiles. He’s been smiling a lot lately. I wonder why. “So… why a basketball player?”

My heart stops at his question, panicked about how to answer.

“Um…” I fall silent, unable to answer.

Then I feel his hand ruffling my hair. “It’s okay. I won’t probe much. I just think that you’re being very considerate to me. Basketball player as the male character? And on top of that, the captain?” He grins. “If I don’t know better I’d think you like me.”

My heart really does stop that moment.

 

After taking a warm bath that night, I sit on my bed while drying my hair with the towel. I stare blankly at the notebook in front of me and the laptop on my bed. I know what I’m going to write. But the thought of his words haunt me, making me unable to tap on the keyboard.

If I don’t know better I’d think you like me

If I don’t know better I’d think you like me

If I don’t know better I’d think you like me

“Ugh,” I groan, muffling my voice on my pillow. It’s so annoying! The thought that he thought that! I feel like crying but I can’t do anything about it. My heart’s in pain, but it still able to beat. I can’t imagine what will happen to my heart if I manage to find courage to tell him about this feeling and he rejects it. Ouch. I can’t imagine that.

Groaning, I flap on my bed in annoyance, grunting here and there. Just when I finally feel better, my bedroom door flung open, revealing my brother who stands annoyingly there.

“I’m studying for my exams so please quiet down.” He hisses. “And stop doing that ugly motion. You’re ugly and stop being ugly.” He heartlessly says. Other time I will just shrug him off. But with my heart’s throbbing and his painful and careless words, I turn into a sobbing mess. Junhong obviously doesn’t aware that I have tears not because of him because soon he is frantic, trying to calm me down.

But I’m already numbed to feel anything.

 

With dark eye bags hanging under my eyes, I walk into my class. Hyuna makes a face at the sight of me, and instead of rushing toward me; she waits for me in her seat. When I sit down beside her does she finally turns to me.

“You look like a zombie.” She remarks, and I tiredly rest my head on the table. “Junhong called me last night when I was having my beauty sleep, shouting that you’ve gone crazy; crying and sobbing like someone who lost her children.” She twists her pretty little lips as she falls in thought. “Are you, though, really have gone crazy?”

I don’t even have enough strength to glare at her.

“Okay, now I’m really worried.” She twists her lips some more. “You need to talk to me sweetie, so I can help you out.”

“Ugh,” I groan again and Hyuna pats my back.

 

The time passes uneventfully. At lunch, I eat quickly before Kai or L can get in. The line’s long and they have a hoard of fan girls, which are helpful to what I am about to do. I am very aware that my best friend is watching me like a hawk. She sees every mouthful I take and she does not question it. This is one of the moments I thank her for not eating too much because of her diet. I don’t want to leave her behind when I’m avoiding Kai.

“Okay, this beyond me. You, who claim to love this one guy, avoid him all of the sudden?” She raises an eyebrow at my confession.

 We’re sitting at the rooftop, where all the students will think twice before getting into. The sun is up in the sky, but the breeze makes up for the heat. We sit under the shades, careful not getting sunburn before winter break.

I begin to tell Hyuna about yesterday and she doesn’t just sit quietly and listen—like what Kai would have—and instead yelling out in excitement about the moment Kai bought the ice cream and wiped my hand. She’s practically on Kai’s ship now. I can see it on her eyes.

But I have to break her ship with the waves of words I’m saying. “He said that if he didn’t know me better he’d think I like him,”

Her face falls and there her pursed lips. She appears to be thinking, but who knows what in her wicked mind. She twists her lips again; which she has done so much time today, but I leave no thought to wonder about that.

“Hmm… that’s very saddening. And dampening our mood.” She sighs. “Well, we shouldn’t dwell on that. We just need to do something else then.”

“What?”

“Make him fall for you!” She smiles. “If he falls for you, he will not care if you like him or not, won’t he?”

I squint my eyes, feeling somewhat nervous. She has this look in her face that tells me that I’m going to regret it.

 

“Come on, you can do it,” Hyuna urges that night while lying on my bed as I pace in front of her with my phone in hand.

I don’t bother to look or glare at her as I keep my eyes close, breath heaving fast as I hug my phone.

“You just need to press send, sweetpie. You don’t have to feel sad for that. I know you like the guy, but we need to do something so that we know you’re not wasting your time okay?” Hyuna, like the sweet voice devil she is, tries to make me follow her words. She’s like a witch. “I can’t keep seeing you staring or ogling at her while he does nothing sweetie. It’s either he likes you or grows a ball to tell you he likes you,”

I stuff my ear with invincible cotton, trying to decide without having to hear evil persuading voices.

“Well yeah, but that’s all yours you know. You’re the one who is gonna waste time and all, not me,” Hyuna says in her sing-song voice. “He’s gonna learn to care more. I know he smiles and laughs at you and with you, and you like spending time ogling at him; but if you’re not gonna do anything about that, you guys will get nowhere.” She says like a love expert and I try to stuff more cotton into my ears.

What she’s saying is true and that’s annoying. I shouldn’t be thinking over her words, but she always has the right words to persuade me. She’s so persuasive that I am scared of her. She can have me wrapped all around her finger if she wants me to.

“Oh come on, Inna.” She grunts, finally sitting down. She takes my teddy which I’m sleeping with every night and hugs it.

“I can’t!” I shout and throw myself on the bed. She slaps my and I turn so that I lie on my back. I shoot a glare at her for touching my . She knows I’m insecure about my big , but she just goes down and slaps it.

“Ugh, just tell him you cannot go home with him tomorrow! You already promise Myungsoo for tomorrow anyway,” She says looking smug that I can’t find other excuse.

That’s true though…

I silently pout as I take my phone up, looking at the shining screen. Before I can write anything, Hyuna takes my phone and writes something, and then before I can stop her, she presses send with a smug smile. My eyes widens before I scramble to take my phone from her.

I’m sorry, but I promise Myungsoo tomorrow ;) sent 9:30pm

My mouth falls open and a silent scream echoes through the night.