-22-

Standing On The Side Line

Sorry for the late update guys! I have finished my final exams weeks ago but I just finish my the chapter today. I've got no reason why I update so late except for the fact that I have things to do and enjoy my holiday!! Anyway, I just want to say I love you guys for waiting and maybe I'm a little cruel that's why I do this. But nah, you know I'm kind and all! SO ENJOY THIS! :)

Subscribes. Comments. Upvotes.

__________________________________________

 

Sitting on a diner highly out-of-time fashion is me and across me sits Kai. We have been sitting down since the clock strikes seven, and now it is ten o’clock but we don’t want to move. Kai is so charming in his own way, and I have to say that I’ve fallen deeper into his enchanting way. He’s a gentleman; that I find out when he opens the car door for me—yes a car! And all this time I think he’s a big, dangerous motorcycle lover when he just likes the motorcycle to look a little wild.

He’s also funny, apparently. I never think he’s got humor in him, but that’s exactly what I find tonight. It’s so surprising to see him talking so freely with me. We don’t talk about family however, because when I ask about Yoona, he replies me so timidly.  I know he’s just being careful; I’ll do the same about it anyway. I just feel that I hope one day I’m good enough for him to even be his confidante.

“No way,” I chuckle as I chuck a fry inside my mouth.

“Yes, it’s true.” Kai nods helplessly. “I was ten. What do you expect me to do?”

“Hide in the closet?” I help.

“Oh no! I don’t hide in the closet! Come on!”

“But you’re playing hide-and-seek; it’s obvious.”

“That’s why; because it’s obvious that I didn’t choose the closet!”

“But hiding inside the refrigerator is okay?”

“Really good hiding place. But not recommended. I was hospitalized for about a month for hyperthermia.”

“Owh.”

“Ten and thin; that’s me.”

I laugh again, disbelief coloring my face.

“What about you? Any interesting story to share?”

“Hmm, maybe not interesting, more like pathetic. I used to be a sickly kid. More often than not, I spent my time at home on my bed, lonely and reading books. Books were my only companion. Didn’t have much choice back then. We didn’t have smart phones to play games or chat with friend; not that I had any. It wasn’t until fourth grade that my health gradually increased and I went to school more regularly. But when I got in, everybody already had somebody, you know. So for half a semester I spent my time reading more books. It was a really pathetic moment in my life.” I chuckle, remembering every bit of my past as if it just happened yesterday. “One day, a new kid transfers to our school, and this kid sits beside me because it’s the only chair that was empty. The kid’s name Kim Hyuna and we’ve been best friends ever since. She told me that she befriended me not because I had no friends; but because everyone else’s already had somebody. She wanted to be someone’s somebody too and she didn’t want to have a group of three, or four friends. She wanted just two. And it’s perfect. I was one.”

There is a silence between us as we stare at each other. He seems to be grasping every word I say.

“That’s sweet,”

“Yeah, she really is.”

“No, I mean, the moment.” He says. “And do you know what’s even sweeter?”

I raise an eyebrow, “What?”

“Moment of ours.” He says in his husky low voice.

The moment seems to be unmoving; my heart stops for a split second as my mind processes his words. My eyes are wide as I stare at him; staring deep inside his abyss dark eyes. It’s like a whirlwind; one moment I’m shocked, the other I feel heat crawling up my cheeks.

“I know you know what I’m talking about,” He continues; eyes still staring into mine. “I don’t know if you feel things like I feel,” He takes a deep breath, “But I’ll still do this anyway. I like you, Choi Inna. More than as a friend.” He says, and I feel my heart beats rapidly. I will die happy, I believe! For my heart has stopped for a split second before it starts to race rapidly; and what a moment I love; love indeed!

I am still staring at him with my stupid look, but he does not mind as he stares back; intensely of course.

“I’m not asking you to be my girlfriend, if that’s what you’re worried about,” He grins. “I’m just happy to be your friend right now, but I hope maybe one day we can level it up a little.”

I my dry lips.

“And don’t your lips,” He stares at my lips, and I swallow hard.

Heat crawls up my body as I feel things I haven’t felt before. I feel so hot, so scratchy. The material on my body feels so stuffy and I just want to get out of them. But I do not do that of course. Instead, I let out a breath and grab my sprite, sipping on the straw as if my life depends on it.

He finally looks away, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Um…” I try to speak, but I have no voice.

“Look, I do not say that to make us feel really uncomfortable, you know?”

“Yes, yes, of course,” I nod. “I just—” He raises an eyebrow. “—surprised, that’s it.”

“Oh,”

“I mean, of course, it takes me by your surprise. I just—there has never been a guy who confessed to me; nonetheless a guy like you—”

“A guy like me?”

Before I can stop it, I ramble, “Yes, guys like you! Guys who are popular, hot, and handsome! And the best of all is, I also like you which means that I feel the same way about you and it’s making me really nervous whenever I’m around you; not knowing what to do, always being on my toes and tiptoeing around you. I just don’t want you think I’m creep or anything but I became a manager assistant because of you—”

“Of me?”

“Yes of you! I mean you looked so charming when you practiced basketball till late afternoon every day at the school field; with sun streaming down on you, heat embracing you and sheet of sweat slicking your body. Oh God, did I just say that? Because if I did that means I’m currently feeling really nervous and I’ve got no filters whenever I feel so and, and—” In a flash my mouth are shut by a pair of warm lips molding against them.

My brain just explodes fireworks and slowly, I shut my eyes close. Oh, good lord!

 

 

I can still feel the way his lips mold against mine. It’s so mind-blowing, at least to me. I roll to my stomach, my hand touching lightly my lips. I can still taste the soda he’s been drinking on my lips. He just simply puts his lips on mind; no funny action. I sigh. Biting my lips, my mind slowly comes down back to Earth. Thinking about kissing it makes me remember something.

Oh my holy God! I’ve got no longer lips!

Red-faced, I sit up straight, eyes wide in astonishment as my lips slowly but obviously turning into a cheeky grin.

“I NO LONGER HAVE LIPS!” I shout so loud that Junhong screams ‘GOOD FOR YOU!’ and I fall back down to my bed on my back. I begin to giggle, and it turns to crazy laughs a second later.

 

 

“You cannot do this to me, Suho! I love you! I love you! How can you leave me after everything I have done for you?” I shout like a crazy person. My body feels on fire as I speak as Kwon Yuri, giving all out. I hate being in the center of attention, but apparently, I do feel like immersing myself in a role; a character. Even as the antagonist.

“I don’t love you,” Kai says coldly. He is a great actor apparently. “I love Chorong and nothing you say will change my mind,” He hardheadedly says.

“But I am your girlfriend! You cannot put me away because of her! She is nothing, Suho. She is not one of us! Your mother will never approve of her!”

“Let that be my problem to concern. And as I’ve said, we’re through,” He leaves, and I cry.

The curtain drawn close and I stop pretending to cry. Kai comes and nudges me. “Great acting,”

“You’re better,” I reply, trying to hide my blush.

When I arrived earlier, Kai was busy helping Teacher Im and all so we didn’t get much chance to talk; especially about last night. When he caught my eyes though; he winked and I literally melted. In the end I busied myself with other stuff so I wouldn’t be distracted by him.

The performance is going well, I can tell. We’re already near the end; only a few scenes and we can say goodbye to winter play. Quickly I run to the back because it’s time for Hyuna to come out. She sees me and pats my bottom; which makes me yelp in surprise.

“You did great, bae,” She winks at me as she walks away.

I smile at myself giddily. It’s the thought that I don’t fail that makes me feel so accomplished.

 

 

“THAT WAS AN AMAZING PERFORMANCE!” Teacher Im shouts. She raises her glass of beer; the rest of us just drink tea—and she drinks her beer in happiness. Well I can’t say I don’t share the same feeling; the drama ended really well. There are a lot of people watching too, and that’s kind of assuring we don’t do bad.

The after party soon wears every one off, and slowly one by one goes home. Hyuna is drunk; she had snatched one of Teacher Im’s glasses of beer and drank it—it was one I supposed, but it became more and more; soon she had already finished the fifth glass. I shake my head at her disapprovingly, but she’s too drunk to notice. Feeling responsible, I lift her arm and wrap it around my shoulder. She’s not that heavy, but she’s not that light either. Grunting, I try to help her walk to her car; when I realize that I can’t let her drive in that drunken state as I can’t drive either. Good Lord, I frown. How do we suppose to get home then? I’m standing next to Hyuna’s blue car when suddenly Kai comes.

“Need help?” He asks, and I stare at him for a moment before deciding that I do need his help.

“Please.” I say.

“I have a car. I’ll drive you two home,” He states, not asking.

“What about her car?” I’m too tired to protest or question anything.

“Leave it there. I’ll call for someone to take care of it.”

“Okay,” I mutter a thank and then go to follow Kai. He helps me bring Hyuna to his car.

It’s the first time I see him with a car, and the moment I sit inside the car, I know I will choose his motorcycle anytime. Not that I don’t like his car; I’m no hypocrite—I love car more than a motorcycle. But when the driver is the guy you like; you’d choose to have any type of transportation that can make you be closer with him. In this case, it’s a motorcycle.

I strap myself with the seatbelt despite my sitting in the back. Hyuna’s head lies on my laps. She mumbles and scratches her body; I try to stay cool despite heat rushing up my face. It’s quite embarrassing with Hyuna being drunk; I just hope she isn't the loud and crazy drunk type. Kai drives his car after he asks where to go, and I tell him my address. Despite Hyuna’s appearance being a crazy girl, I know she’ll be dead if her parents find her like this. She tells dark stories to me you see. So I need to be of help and the only way is to bring her home with me.

Kai glances through the rearview mirror a few times and I catch him those few times. I feel so uncomfortable; not in a bad way. Just slightly nervous and all. He never drives me home… in a car. On the motorcycle, I do not find the need to strike up a conversation. In a car it’s all different. You have a big hollow space and there is no noise to prevent people from having conversation.

“You did great today,” Kai says, glancing at the rearview mirror, locking eyes with me.

Blush appears on my cheeks, and I bite my lip. “You too.”

“Well, you were so fierce on stage that I thought of kissing you right there to make you silent,” Kai says as he stares at me through the rearview mirror. When I realize what he just says, my face feels so hot that I think I’m gonna blow. He chuckles as he turns around the corner.

We arrive at my home about five minutes later, and he carries Hyuna up to my room. I make sure we are so quiet my parents not gonna find out. Well, it’s not as if it’s a crime I go home so late; it’s just Hyuna being drunk and faint will not be looked lightly by my parents. After he puts her down on my bed, he straightens up and looks at me.

My room is dark considering it’s night and I don’t bother turning on the light. I can feel goose bumps on my skin as he continues to stare at me in a way I can’t describe.

“So, I’ll go now,”

“Yeah, you should. It’s late,”

He takes a deep breath. “I’m gonna do this cause you seem to want it but just unable to say it,”

And before I know what he’s saying about, his lips captures mine… again.