-12-

Standing On The Side Line

“You think you’re so great?” Jang Hana sneers irritatingly. “You wish,”

I stay quiet as I look down on the ground, not knowing what to do. She and her so-called friends surround me at the isolated part of the school backyard. I don’t know why I follow her instruction to go here… oh right! She’s the damn manager and I’m the assistant! 

“Stay quiet, huh?” Hana shoves my head to the side but I remain stable and keep looking down.

I know I should shove back and whatnot, but sadly, I’m not a brave and strong heroine in novels, nor am I some kind of wushu expert that Hana will fear of. I’m just the nobody in school who has weak body—not really, I’m beginning to be healthier but still I don’t  do excessive sport so I’m still weak.

“You should have kept quiet since the beginning!” She feels irritated and maybe happy that I stay mute, and she keeps on shoving and insulting me. “Kai is a great guy, I know, but you should know your limit! He’s mine, so off. Don’t be a vixen and stop seducing my boyfriend. You think just because he drove you homes twice then you’re so great…” She kept on going and going about me being a seducer and that I’m so low and that I must have used my body to get Kai’s attention.

I clench my fists angrily at all her insulting words but hold back. I know I will not win a fight with her because she has her followers and that her nails are so sharp that it can scratch me bleed. So I keep on looking down with gritted teeth, wishing she will just stop with all her untrue words. Even if I’m a saint, I can’t take all her lies that she shoves into my mind.

I am beginning to lose my control when I hear footsteps coming closer.

Hana doesn’t seem to notice because she keeps on going with me and how I should just go die.

“Who ever says I’m yours?” A dark and low voice asks, the anger in his tone is noticeable that I feel my blood run cold.

Hana stops immediately and I feel the surroundings freeze.

“K-K-Kai…” She stutters and I see her step back.

I stay rooted in my place when I feel a brush against my shoulder and in front of me stand Kai. Hana and her followers are across us and I gulp when I see Hana’s pale face. She looks very terrified with Kai that I begin to wonder how Kai looks right then.

“Did I ever tell you that I’m yours?” His voice is dangerously low but he takes no more step to her.

“N-n-no…”

“And who gives you the right to bully people?” He is glaring menacingly at Hana by then. “Stop being a to Inna. You don’t even work like you’re supposed to do as a manager. How can Inna be the one to clean and wash everything? You’re the manager right? Then from today onward, you better clean all the mess the team makes.”

My eyes widen at his words and I become speechless. Why is he being so worked up? I get it if I get mad… but him? Not in my dream I imagine him so defensive.

Hana is on the verge of crying. “Kai, how can you say that to me!? How can you be so cruel to me!? I love you, you know that right?!”

“Love my . You only see my face and you love me!? You don’t even know me, you . I have been suppressing my anger toward you all this time. You become the team’s manager so you can get close to guys, I get it. I have to tell you that I hate how you distracted my team’s focus with your cheers and your talks, but I don’t mind it as long as they do not stray more. I let you to do anything you want as long as you don’t think you’re close to me. I close my eyes at your manipulative ways. But if I see you do things to Inna one more time, you can quit being the team’s manager. I don’t need someone like you to work—oh wait; you don’t even do your job properly. It will make the quitting easier, don’t you think?”

I am beyond words. I have never heard Kai talks that much and to say he’s actually sneering doesn’t help my shock. Hana is a , I get that. But Kai is saying all his suppressed anger and I feel bad that I actually feel good about it. So Kai hates Hana. Wow. I’m such a devil for loving that fact. I won’t be a hypocrite. I like the fact Kai is sneering at Hana and that he hates Hana. I like every bit of it. But let me be a hypocrite this time.

Thinning my lips, I look up to see Hana’s make up running down her face along with her fake tears. Hmm, I’m not sure that’s fake but I won’t say anything. She is glaring at me heatedly, which make me cower back a bit, making me look like a damsel in distress, which I admit I hate.

I don’t like the thought of me as a damsel in distress in need of saving, but I’m not a heroine as well who will not cower back if glared. Obviously I cower back when I’m feeling intimidated. It’s just a typical reaction.

Anyway, Hana turns around and runs away, her followers running after her like a group of chicken. Okay, that’s really bad of me. But sorry not sorry.

Kai turns to me and I freeze; looking down at the ground. Hmm, the ground looks pretty somehow.

“Why are you so stupid?”

His question catches me off-guard. He sounds irritated, but—if I’m not imagining things—he sounds concern too.

“What?” I look up confusedly at him. I wonder why he calls me stupid; that’s kind of rude.

“I say, why are you so stupid? How can you let her step over you like that?” He stares right into my eyes and for once; I’m not feeling shy about the staring. I somehow feel irritated that he talks to me like that. I like him, yes, but that doesn’t give him the right to talk to me that way.

“Well, if you never notice, I don’t exactly the type to retort back or to fight or to do anything. I don’t let her step over me; I just don’t reply her.” I glare at him.

We glare at each other for a while, before I sigh and take a step back. Turning around, I begin to walk away.

“Where are you going?” He catches up with me.

“Class.” I reply as I push the glass door.

“Let’s walk together,” He says and we fall into a quiet walk.

When we turn into the corridor and many students are walking around, I feel self-conscious and walk a little bit slow so that he walks in front of me. He doesn’t seem to notice and I’m grateful of that. He stops and turns to the side, then turns back to me.

“Why are you standing there?” He raises an eyebrow. Then he looks around and back to me. He seems to understand because he just rolls his eyes and walks away.

I feel bad somehow but just get inside my class; which is where he stops at before.

 

“Are you… dating L now?” Hyuna asks as she spoons her yogurt.

My eyes widen and I glare at him. “No we’re not! Where do you hear this nonsense, really?” First me dating Kai then me dating L. Wow, just wow. I feel famous already.

“Well, obviously walls have ears and people have them too so…” Hyuna just leaves her words hanging.

“Look my dearest friend, just because I go out with L for a few times don’t mean I’m dating him. We’re casual friends, you know?”

“Friends with benefit?” She teases.

“Aish, of course not! I’m very pure!” I say that out loud and the students in the cafeteria all look into my direction, making me feel totally embarrassed. “I don’t do that,” I hiss at Hyuna, looking down to my plate.

“I know, I know!” She laughs. Omg, she has the nerve to laugh. Then her face looks serious. “Then what about this rumor about you being ganged up by Hana?”

I swallow. I’m not sure to lie or not. I can say nothing, but Hyuna is very persistent and if not from me, she can get the answers from somebody else. She prefers to hear from me anyway.

“Well, she used her authority as my superior to call me out to the backyard. I thought it was funny and I had the idea why, but I still went. Anyway, she said things I prefer you don’t know, and I just let her talk because I didn’t like to talk back.”

She stares at me incredulously. “Aren’t you forgetting something? Like, who your savior is?”

I glare at her. “If you already know the whole story why are you asking me again?” I grab my spoon and begin to eat my lunch. Delicious lunch. Cafeteria is heaven, I know.

“Well, I’d like to know what you’re feeling that Kai helped you out.”

“Well, maybe a little nervous and excited; but irritated as well.”

“Oh?”

“He acted as if he’s someone who I should listen to. He implied I’m stupid too. That kind of takes a toll on me. But I can’t say I don’t feel happy that he told Hana to off.”

“ off?”

“Well, not really. But he kind of implies that. His words were ‘I don’t need someone like you to work—oh wait; you don’t even do your job properly. It will make the quitting easier, don’t you think?’” I imitate Kai’s way of speaking and Hyuna laughs.

While we are talking and laughing, the principal suddenly enters the cafeteria with a group of people in suit and tie. We stare at the big group and see that some of the men are still young. I turn to Hyuna to say something funny but I catch her staring at the group with wide eyes.

Hmm, that’s a look I’ve never seen on her face. I wave my hand in front of her face and for a while, she doesn’t react. After a minute or so she finally blinks and looks at me.

“What?”

“Why are you daydreaming?” I glance at the group that has settled down on a table near the left side door. “Is there someone you know?” I am not surprised if she knows somebody. After all, her father is also one of the school’s council members.

“Huh?” Hyuna blinks again. “Er… no, nothing.”  She suddenly stands up. “Hey… I’m leaving first okay?” Then she dashes out of the cafeteria through the left door.

I furrow my eyebrows in worry, but decide to just continue eating my lunch. When I’ve finished my food, an ice cream appears in front of my eyes. My eyes gleam at the treat and I look up to see L smiling at me. I yelp in excitement and grab it from his hands, then begin to slurp down the cold treat without a care in the world.

L sits next to me, his back facing the table so we’re actually facing each other. He looks as if he has something to say, but keeps holding himself back.

When I’m unable to take the quietness any longer, I ask, “What?” blurt out is more like it, but I don’t care.

“Hmm?”

“Is there anything you want to say?” I ask, staring at him as I my ice cream.

“Are you dating Kai?” He asks suddenly and I blink at him incredulously.

“Why is everybody asking me that? No, I’m not dating him.”

He looks suspicious but relief. “Really?”

“Yes!” I cry. Do I look as if I’ll forget if Kai confess to me? Like hell I will!

“Good,” He grins. “Then I still have a chance, huh?”

“What?” I raise an eyebrow. I don’t get what he’s saying. What chance?

“Nothing!” He raises a hand and messes my hair.

I grit my teeth at him and he laughs.

“Hmph,” I grunt, slapping his hand away.

He just gets more daring, wrapping his arms around my neck and pulling me to his chest.

“Y-yah!” I grab his arm, trying to pull it away because he is choking me. The funny thing is, I don’t feel a slightest embarrass.

He’s still playing with me that way when somebody pours water on us. I slap L’s arms away and breathe air when I am finally released. L doesn’t seem happy though. Well of course, who will be happy if they are poured down? I look up to see my savior (?) and see Kai boring hole on L’s head. L glares up at Kai as he stands up.

“What do you want?” He hisses, wanting to hit Kai more than anything else.

Obviously he can’t though. The principal and his group are in the same area after all.

“Sorry, my hand slipped,” Kai emotionlessly says as he drops the paper cup on the floor.

“Y-you…!” L looks as if he is about to throw his temper but I immediately get in between. It’s bad for them if they get a notice.

“Hey, let’s go somewhere else, shall we, L?” I ask in a cute manner which I’ve rarely done. But if it needs to be done, I won’t mind.

L glances at me before glaring back at Kai. “You’re safe for now, .” He hisses before grabbing my hand and walking out of the cafeteria.

I glance at Kai to see him following our movement. I swallow and turn my attention back to L. Just what on Earth is Kai’s problem?