-18-

Standing On The Side Line

Sitting down that night on my study chair with laptop on the table, I begin to type away the story I’ve been brainstorming in. It’s not classics, and after a quick phone call with Teacher Im, she agrees to let me get original. I will not be writing classics story with King and Queen, nor something like Romeo and Juliet.

I’m writing about a girl who likes her school’s basketball team captain and how her love progresses. She falls in love at first sight, but spends three years to speak up about it. It’s typical, I know. But it’s the only story I can get on with; because of my exploding feelings. When I am writing the brainstorming, I just somehow write down basketball captain on it, and then there’s no stopping me.

Park Chorong is the shy girl and the geek of the school. She loves the basketball captain calls Kim Joonmyun. He’s rich, handsome, and everything that a girl wants. Enters Kwon Yuri, the school’s queenka. She’s rich, beautiful, and smart. She’s what the girls want to be and what the boys want to have. But she wants only Joonmyun, and she gets him too. But with Park Chorong constant appearances—coincidental appearance and all, Joonmyun begins to interested in her, and soon falls in love with her. And after the story , which is the part Yuri confronts Joonmyun who is hugging Chorong one moonlit night, Yuri and Joonmyun breaks up, and he begins to date openly with Chorong.

When I finish writing the story, I smile in satisfaction. Even though I can imagine Teacher Im’s face of disdain, I don’t care. I think this story is not bad. Of course, I’m playing the bad girl Kwon Yuri. Even though I am the one who’s writing the story, Teacher Im makes it clear that I’m playing too.

You might be asking where L is in the story; but he’s not playing a big part. I still haven’t decided whether I want him to be friends with Kai or be the rival. Hmm, I think I’ll just ask Teacher Im tomorrow.

 

“Not bad,” Teacher Im actually says, and I can’t help the big grin eating off on my face.

“Really?”

“Yes, just need a review here and there. But the storyline is good,” Teacher Im actually nods in appraisal.

Wow, who thought this day will actually come?

After revising the story as Teacher Im’s guidance, we print the story and copy them for everybody in the drama club. After a long heated debate with Teacher Im, we finally decide to make L as the third guy, who likes Chorong too but ends up alone. She actually advises that Yuri and L end together, but I strongly against that. I don’t want L to think that I like him so I make that kind of storyline, so I disagree fiercely. Of course, L and the others aren’t in the same room with me and Teacher Im that time.

When Hyuna finishes reading the story, she whispers to me, “Hmm, I feel bad you know.” Then she adds, “But not really, you get to be with him for the half of the stage appearance. I don’t think I can have poker face when I see you clinging over him,”

“Ugh, don’t you dare Hyun!” I hiss. I feel embarrassed as I peek over my lashes to see Kai reading the script rather seriously.

I want to stare all day, but of course, I can’t be that obvious and shameless. So with much willpower, I break my stare; only to find L pouting at me.

“Why Yuri and Yunho (his role in the drama) don’t end up together?” He asks with puppy eyes.

“Uh…” I am rather speechless.

“Obviously because she doesn’t want to end up with you,” My eyes widen at the sound, and turn to Kai in aghast. How can he say that so blatantly? Omg, if I am L, I’ll feel so crushed—wait, wait. I am not the one who says that! So L is blessed after all! I’m not that mean you know.

He’ll be hurt. But hopefully not by me.

Besides, what Kai says is true though. I don’t want to end up with him—not even in the drama.

“Humph.” L glares at Kai. “Do you think she wants to end up with you?!” He turns to me but I quickly look away, pretending to be in a serious conversation with Hyuna, who is laughing as she speaks. Oh damn her!

“I think we need to revise something,” Kai speaks up some moment later, when we are all quiet and focused on the script. “

I look up and stare at him; waiting. Hyuna and L wait for him to talk too.

“I want the part where Chorong and Joonmyun kiss to be cut off.” He says blatantly and I furrow my eyebrows.

“But that is the highlight!” I protest even though my inner Inna is jumping up and down.

Kai raises an eyebrow at me and Hyuna discreetly elbows my stomach.

“I’ll talk to Teacher Im about it,” I pretend to relent.

“You don’t have to,” Kai says. “I will go talk to her.”

When he leaves, L stands up and says, “I’ll find Teacher Im too,”

Left alone with Hyuna, I slowly turn my head toward the girl. She’s grinning at me at full bloom. “Hmm, what is that I see? Kai obviously doesn’t want to kiss me because he’s probably going to ask Teacher Im to let him kiss you. You’re going to be his ‘girlfriend’ after all.”

I blush, and my hand is raised to hit her. She laughs, and slaps my arm, saying that I’m such a hypocrite.

 

The first time we act, I almost throw up. Obviously, standing on the stage getting everyone’s attention is not my thing. I almost faint without speaking anything. Hyuna throws me cold water, and I gulp down immediately. The first act I am going to do is where I see Kai, and fall for him immediately. Uh, no, I’m not Chorong, but Yuri does fall for Kai at first sight too.

“I’m Kwon Yuri,” I smile flirtatiously as hard as I can; trying to muster the entire act I’ve been practicing with Hyuna. She teaches me how to be flirtatious while I help her understanding Chorong (which I write based on myself).

Kai leans again the made up pillar as he smirks at me—Kwon Yuri please. “Hi, I’m Kim Joonmyun.”

“I want you to know that I’m not like all girls; and I have a personality where when I want something; I will get it.” I pompously say, trying to cover my embarrassment over the words that I basically have written. “And I want you,”

Kai raises his eyebrows as his usual self, and replies, “Then get me.”

I swallow. Oh my God, I try not to swallow; but I can’t help it! He’s saying it as if he means it; when I know better that he’s just freaking acting!

“Really?” I play out my Kwon Yuri role after focusing back my mind. I step closer to him and grab his tie as I’ve practiced with Hyuna, and pull him closer to me. He lets himself be pulled like the script, and I whisper—though loud enough (but it doesn’t really matter because in the real stage we’re going to wear ear-microphone), “Then you won’t mind if I say today is our first day, will you?”

“Nope,” He replies and my eyes widen (that is totally unexpected) when he grabs my by the waist and pulls me closer.

It’s not written in the script damnit! I can feel myself blushing all over and even if I try not to; it just can’t be helped okay?

Getting off the stage, Hyuna rushes right to me. She’s squealing like a pig—she won’t mind me calling her that, but I rather not because she’s gonna have that stricter diet program—and hugs me as if I have won a noble award. I give a glare because she’s looking so obvious but decides not to heed my glare. Instead, she clings at my arm and swings it.

“Omg, look at your face. If I tell you that you run a mile and get heat rash, you’ll probably believe me.”

I hate to admit but she’s right. Looking at myself in the mirror, I can only open my mouth in horror. My whole face is red, like it has gotten heat rash. Oh my gosh! Gulping, I turn to Hyuna. “Can you get me some water?”

“At your service,” She chuckles.

When she is finally out of my sight, I sigh looking at my appearance. How can I play Kwon Yuri right? I’m so unlike Yuri’s personality; her whole personality is downright different than mine. How the hell do I think I can play her? Obviously I wasn’t thinking when I was writing the story.

I don’t realize that Kai is standing a few feet behind me. I acknowledge his presence when he talks.

“Kwon Yuri’s role isn’t for you, is it?” He asks blatantly.

Knowing that there is no use lying to him, I shake my head. “No, it isn't.” I smile weakly. “I just write down a typical love story where somebody has to be the bad guy. I happen to write my own fate,” I laugh, but it is a weak laugh. I still can’t get over the fact he has wrapped his arm around my waist. I must be really crazy over him.

“We can ask Teacher Im to actually reconsider her choice. You being the bad guy are the last thing everyone has in mind.”

“We can’t do that.” I protest. “Everyone has worked hard memorizing their part. It will be selfish of me to ask for a change.”

“I mean you being Chorong.” He says flatly; and I have to make sure I don’t hear wrong.

“What?”

“Well,” He sighs as he steps closer to me. When our proximity is already an arm length, he continues, “I can’t imagine you being a bad girl you know. I mean, which part of you scream bad?”

I chuckle at his words. “Everyone has their bad side you know. Just because you haven’t seen mine doesn’t mean I don’t have a bad side.”

“Whoop, I’ll wait for that day.” He whistles. I chuckle again.

I feel somewhat lighten already than before; when I was still crazy-ing over him. He has this aura that can make me feel so light and bright, and he’s doing it now. I really will be jealous over the girl who will be his girlfriend. Ahem, Kwon Yuri is excluded alright.

As we talk, I find out that he actually has an older sister, and that he loves her so much. But she is already married and now living overseas. I tell him that I have a younger brother; one that I will be very happy to marry quickly. He laughs and I smile at myself as a reward that I succeed in making him laugh.

The way his eyes turn into slit and the crinkles around his eyes become apparent when he’s laughing heartily is something that I will treasure forever and will not be regretting to make happen again. His laugh is contagious, and I find myself laughing along with him. I realize; this may be one of the reasons why I love him.