-15-

Standing On The Side Line

When we get back to the table, L’s face is flushing with anger as Kai’s face is dark with whatever is annoying him. Hyuna warily looks at them before questioning, “What happen?”

“Ask him. He’s the one who about to pounce on me, unleashing all his ‘anger’ as he calls it.” Kai shrugs at L.

L glares at Kai. “You shouldn’t have touched Inna. Don’t you have manner?”

O-oh.

Hyuna elbows me on my side; I can hear her snickering in her mind. She obviously is thinking back to our conversation back in the car this morning and I sulk wondering if she’s right. L looks so pissed that Kai—ahem, not touch—wipes my lips. I’m (totally) okay with that though. But I wonder why L gets so angry because of it. I don’t even say anything.

Anyway, to get out of the awkward situation, I turn to my pancakes, and eat them deliciously without a care in the world. Kai and L; along with Hyuna, stare at me in disbelief before chuckling and continuing to eat their own foods too. I smile inwardly, and Hyuna pinches me in the thighs. I side-glare her but she pretends not seeing.

Humph.

“Inna,” The husky voice calls me and I look up almost immediately. “Do you want me to help you writing the story?” Kai asks, looking somewhat embarrassed (and too cute to be true!). “I’m the male lead after all,” He clears his throat for the excuse.

Before I can say anything, Hyuna interjects, “That’s a great idea! I mean, he can help you with the kind of character he wants, or what character you think he may do great in! It’s a great idea, Inna. You should really consider it.” She looks at me hopefully as she takes her hot tea and sips on it; only to put it back down quickly because the hot tea burns her tongue. Looks good; I smile at her mischievously. She glares at me and looks down to her salad.

“Well, if you want too…” I shyly say.

“Then you can wait for me every day after the basketball practice.” He smiles, and I smile back.

“AHEM,” L clears his throat loudly. “I will help you too, Inna.” He smiles, showing his pearly white teeth.

I just nod back and smile timidly. Am I a bad person for wishing that only Kai will help me out?

Putting the thought aside, I smile at both of them, slicing the pancakes into tiny bites.

 

On Monday at lunch, something different happens to our (mine and Hyuna’s) routine. After grabbing our tray and settling down on a table, L appears with his own tray, along with his group of football team. He introduces them to us brightly, glaring at one of his teammates who playfully call me sweetheart. His name is Sungyeol, I think.

When I am eating my chicken meat deliciously, another tray is put down next to me (Hyuna sits in front of me) and sat my dream guy. I almost choke, but quickly drink down my water. He looks at me and gives me a soft smile, which undeniably makes my heart to beat too fast and I wonder if I can die because of fast beating heart. Never heard one though.

Unlike L’s friends, Kai’s friends do their own introduction without being told, and they are like a bunch of monkeys. Sorry, but that’s true. Especially the ones named Chanyeol and Baekhyun. They look like the funny combo. Hyuna can’t even stop herself from laughing because of their antics.

Luhan is in the group, and he smiles at me now and then, and I smile back. But then he cowers back after looking at my sides; which make me to look at my sides too. Both L and Kai are staring at Luhan; no wonder.

Shaking my head, I continue to eat.  

 

After cleaning the locker room—Hana quits the manager job and so, to wait for another person to claim the position, I have to clean again. Just my luck. But I don’t really mind. The locker room isn’t very large, and there are more lockers than the ground. So wiping the floor is quite an easy task. The hard task is to attend the team’s need. Some of the members have picky personality. One likes his towel wash with particular detergent, and it is my task to remember. The worse thing is; he can know whether I wash it with the detergent or not. One likes his locker super clean. Like, I have to wipe it three times a day. One doesn’t like his locker touched. Humph. It’s hard to work for those, but others are just the general.

The boys run inside the locker room, wanting to take shower first. They hate late practices, and with the winter’s coming, they want nothing but to go home soon. There is going to be no winter game, and thus, the boys want to have no practices. But the coach’s very hell-bent on the practices, especially since they almost lose last game; with only the differences of two score. Luckily the bell’s over rang before the Sankyung players could get the last ball in.

I didn’t watch the game, but Hyuna surely did. She keeps on babbling about it before.

As Kai showers, I wait outside the locker room. He promises to help me writing the story and asks me to wait him. The boys who have done washing come out from the room and bid me goodbye, while some give me teasing glances. I blink awkwardly and look away, only to bid goodbye to those who do the same.

When Kai finally comes out, I straighten up and smile at him. He smiles back (oh my God, I will never be accustomed to this) and lead the way to his motorcycle. He gives me the helmet and helps me with it—my heart jumps at this. My heart’s been jumping since he smiles at me, but the irregular beats become apparent when I wrapped my arms around his slim waist.

I blanch, feeling fat. But the thoughts fly away as Kai drives the motorcycle. I feel so free and happy with him, and unconsciously, I lean my head on his broad shoulder.

 

We sit under a big tree while reading some books that I’ve brought with me. Surprisingly, Kai is a good reader. He’s silent and focused. I’m glad that he comes with me.

I grab my pen and my notebook, turning a page. I begin writing something; the characters name, the plot, and others. Unknowingly, I become engrossed in writing the story. I write everything that comes into my mind and with the passing minutes, I have already written at least ten pages. Writing fiction story is fun, especially when the idea is overflowing. It comes rarely, but when it does come, it is unstoppable.

I don’t aware that Kai has left the premises and I finally aware of his presence when a green tea ice cream appears in front of my face. I stop writing and look up to the owner of the hand. I blink seeing Kai with a soft smile gracing his lips. His eyes dart toward the ice cream and I follow his stare.

Silently I put down my notebook and pen on the ground, and then reach out to take the ice cream. He sits back down next to me after that, leaning against the crook of the tree.

The cold afternoon wind gently caresses us, even though it is cold. I my ice cream, thinking that even though I am eating something cold in a cold weather, I feel warm inside. Unconsciously, a smile curls up on my face.

“Can I read the story you’ve been writing?” Kai asks; his voice soft and husky.

I feel my heart jumps at his sudden question. Calming my heart down, I take the notebook in one hand and give it to him. He reads the scribbles quietly, focusing all in that book. I watch him flip page after page, and I wonder how a guy can be that handsome. My heart beats so irregularly even just by looking at him. He’s so serene, so quiet, so wonderful.

Thinking back of the reason why I like him make me smile; because I know I have not fallen for a wrong person. He’s amazing, very much so, and his strong will and determination compels me very much. He’s like a green tea. First you’re interested in it. Once you’ve tasted it you will become addicted. Maybe it’s a stupid comparison. But for me, who likes green tea very very much to the point of addicted, know the truth of this.

At first Kai interest me. He looks so cool and handsome in his shirt, trying to make goal after goal to the ring. Then one day I just got this opportunity to see him closer and I took it. And he couldn’t be more handsome when he shouted order to his teammates. He’s a fair man and takes no sides in fight. Whoever at fault is to blame; and if two are fighting; two are to blame. He does not sit down and discuss, he shout and order.

But seeing this side of Kai, the serene and focused Kai, brings me an overwhelming emotion. He’s a guy who is out of my reach and I have never once thought of the day I will spend with him. But look where I am now. Sitting beside him while staring at him so openly, etching his face inside of my mind. I must be crazy; I think as I stare at his eyes, the eyelashes curl prettily and his nose sharp and high. His lips…! His lips are the most sinful part of his face.

I blush when I realize what the hell I am thinking. Never in my life I’ve thought of a man like that—he’s the first man I actually look so close that way. But everything about him so beautiful—I sound like a guy; but that’s true. He’s like that of a Greek God. Carved so perfectly and beautifully. The way his bangs fall on his forehead…

Then Kai turns around.