-11-

Standing On The Side Line

So I update again haha. Happy Early Christmas everyone! Does everyone go out of town? Well lucky you cause I'm stuck in my hometown writing fanfics haha! ;) Enjoy your Christmas everyone with a cup of tea and a chapter to read!

ENJOY~

Subscribes. Comments. Upvotes.

___________________________________________

 

Weeks pass by just like that. Soon, it is already time for exams before the winter break. What the students actually pay attention of is not the winter break. It’s the event on the day after the last day of exam. In JeonHwa High, there’s a tradition to celebrate the last day of exam and the coming of winter break. Sounds stupid, but JeonHwa High actually supports the idea.

So in the midst of studying and preparing holiday, the students also work together in order to make the event. This celebration consists of class competition and stage performance. While each student works together for their own class, they also team up to do stage performance. Like the dance club will be performing dance, singing club performing singing choir or something, and the drama club will do stage drama.

Unlike other clubs however, the drama club is only available in time like this. The members inside the club will be chosen by the teacher in charge, and that is how I, Hyuna, Kai, and L get into the club. When the proposal is shoved toward their desk, they protest, but the teacher silences them.

“I choose the four of you inside my drama club because honestly, you four are the best in reciting paragraph. God knows how many students trying to get inside the drama club, but I reject each of them. I want you four to play the part I’ve chosen for you.”

“I can’t play.” Kai emotionlessly says, staring at the teacher with unwavering gaze.

The teacher steadily stares back. “Fine. Then consider you fail my class.”

Kai glares at the teacher. “Is this how you work? By threatening your students?”

“I’m giving you a chance to show the world that you do not just do good in basketball and has nothing in that brain of yours.” The teacher spitefully says. She really does not care that Kai is a rich boy. All she cares about that having Kai inside her drama. She knows that Kai and L are the most wanted boys in school and after years having fail drama performance because of the lack of interest, she decides that this time, instead of choosing people who are really good in acting, she goes for the looks.

She turns to Hyuna and I. I know for one that she chooses me because of Hyuna. Hyuna won’t be accepting her offer if I don’t come along. Hyuna tells me that.

“Well, I don’t have anything to say,” Hyuna shrugs, leaning back. “I’m all for it if Inna’s all for it.”

I turn to the teacher and she is glaring at me intensely. I gulp and my lower lip. “Uh… I-I’m fine with it…”

“Thank God!” She beams, and turns to both guys.

L shrugs. “If that’s what she wants…” He turns to me and winks.

Kai looks positively pissed off. He turns to me and locks eyes with me. I whimper silently. His gaze is dark and sends me shivers. But he turns back to the teacher and sighs. “Do whatever you want as long as it doesn’t clash with my basketball practice.”

“Consider it done!” Mrs. Im, the teacher, beams brightly and walks off.

The four of us are left behind. Kai scoffs and stands up, at the same time L asks me, “Do you want to get some ice cream, Inna?”

Hyuna looks back and forth at L and me. I have told her about my encounter with L that night and when L finds me the next day, she isn’t surprised.

“He has the hots for you,” She says as she applies powder on her already fair skin. “But he better does it right because if he hurts you, he’s going down.”

I clap my hand as my eyes gleam at the offer. Hyuna sighs and flips her hair back. “I’m just going out first.” She turns to L and says threateningly, “You. Don’t go anywhere else except the ice cream parlor and bring her back home before six.”

“Yes Madam!” L makes a motion of a soldier and Hyuna stalks off.

It is then that I notice Kai hasn’t left yet.

“Uh… Kai?” I call out and he straightens his back.

He turns at me with glaring eyes. “What?”

“D-Do you want to eat ice cream too?” I blurt out stupidly.

Ever since that day he brought me home, we’ve become a little less than stranger and a little more of friend. We don’t cross path anymore after that, and I’ve been busy with life. I have homework and exams coming up everyday and when I do have time for myself, I spend them at home alone.

He snorts and shakes his head. “No, just enjoy your little date.”

I blink. Is that skepticism I hear? Shock is an understatement. Kai may be cold and mysterious, but he’s not one to be like that. I wonder what I do wrong.

I don’t realize it’s been minutes that I’ve zoned out, thinking about Kai’s sudden cold shoulder.  I want to run after him, but my cowardice just happens to roll into me that time. In the end, I leave the school ground with L.

 

 

Three days later I find myself cleaning the locker room. The coach implies that the locker room is very dirty and wants me to clean it. So here I am, when everyone else busy with studying, I am cleaning the locker room. When I am about to finish, I hear the door open and I turn, only to find Kai walking in with layer of sweats covering his tanned skin.

I blush, feeling hot suddenly. He’s not aware of her feelings so she couldn’t blame him for his unknowing. He can wear nothing if he likes too.

He stops in his track when he sees me. “What are you doing here?” He asks.

“The coach asks me to clean.”

He raises an eyebrow. “That’s what the janitor for.”

I blanch. Stupid Hana. I know somehow it’s Hana’s doing. “Oh really?” I awkwardly stand. “Then I’ll just leave. I’m finished anyway.”

I quickly grab my bag and walk passed him, but he grabs my wrist. “Do you mind waiting for me? I’d be done soon.”

“Uh?” I look at him stupidly. “N-No, sure!” I fluster.

He smirks and leaves me alone as he goes inside the shower. I place my hands on both cheeks, feeling the skin heating up like crazy. I wonder what’s wrong with him. One moment he’s grumpy, another minute he’s friendly.  I think he has some kind of disorder. As I wait for him, I clean up the equipments and flip my calculus book.

He walks out of the shower already dressed in uniform. I don’t let my eyes wander, but I know he’s watching me. He opens his locker and takes out his leather jacket and bag. “Let’s go,” He says and I walk out from the locker room with him.

Some students who are still staying in school saw us together and I face-palm. I somehow know that tomorrow there will be another gossip about him and me. I wonder what he thinks of the gossip though. We are aware that there’s nothing going on, but does it make him feel disgust? I know some guys do.

Throwing me a helmet, he jumped up his motorcycle. I wear the helmet just like how he put it on me before. Once again, he takes off his leather jacket and put it around my waist. I blush at the close proximity, but say nothing. I don’t doubt my expression. It usually gives away a lot.

I hesitantly wrap my arm around his waist, which he pulls forward, making my chest flat against his back. My face heating up again. I think of our unorthodox relationship. We’re not strangers, but we’re not friends too. Sometimes he feels close, but others he feels so distant. I wonder what he thinks of me. Do I look so easy?

He stops by this park, and I snap out of my thoughts. He climbs down the motorcycle, helping me down.

We walk side-by-side at this walking path near the river.

“Why do you apply for the assistant manager position, Inna?” He asks suddenly, and I feel self-conscious.

“Just because,” I reply hesitantly. “I just wondered what it feels like working as assistant manager.”

He chuckles at my response, and I feel my heart thumped. “Just because you feel so?” He shakes his head. “Seriously? I don’t think being an assistant manager is nice. You have to wash, clean and run everywhere. That’s not what girls usually want to do.”

“Well, count me different then,” I smile at him. Talking to him feels nice.

“No, seriously. Is it really because of ‘you feel so’?”

“Yeah,” I reply, looking up to the sky. “I just… think of something you know. I wonder what it feels like…” being close to you. I whisper in my mind. I turn to smile at him, only to find him staring at me.

Feeling self-conscious, I dart my eyes away. Then I see an ice-cream stand. “Let’s go buy ice cream!” I beam and run fast toward the stand.

I don’t notice his dark expression as he runs after me.

“Hey, don’t run like that,” He scolds. “And besides, what’s with you and ice cream?” He irritatingly says.

“I love ice cream!” I just say innocently.

“Ice cream, huh?” He eyes the stand.

“One cookies and cream please!” I beam at the seller, and he chuckles at my enthusiasm. I slid my hand inside my pocket to take my money out, but a hand shoots out to pay first before me. I look at Kai with wide-eyes. He hands me the cone and turns me back to continue walking.

“K-Kai, I’ll pay you back!” I take out my money and try paying him back, but he just closes my hand into a fist, the money inside my hand.

“No,” He replies shortly. “Just save it. I bring you out here, so let me pay for the ice cream.”

“B-But…”

“No buts.” He cuts me. I unconsciously pout, feeling bad. It is my own desire to eat ice cream. He isn’t supposed to pay for it.

He looks at me and swallows. I wonder why he looks so stiff suddenly.

“You okay?” I ask.

He just nods. “Let’s walk back.”

“But I haven’t finished my ice cream yet.”

“Then let’s just find somewhere to sit.”

 

 

We sit on the ground along the river. Well, I am sitting. He’s lying down on the ground with both hands under his head. He appears to be thinking as I my ice cream off. The silence is comfortable, contrary to my belief. I thought it will be so uncomfortable given my feelings for him, but turns out, it just happens to be quite nice.

Sitting like this next to him feels nice.

“How long have you been in JeonHwa High, Inna?” He questions out of the blue.

“Since my junior time,” I reply.

“I have never seen you before.”

I chuckle. “Well, I’m not one to tell everyone I’m a new student. Besides, there’s nothing special about me that makes me particularly stands out. I hate to seek attention as well. If I can, I’ll choose to live my high school year quietly.”

Kai stares at me. The wind is blowing and my hair is blowing toward him. I don’t notice because I am eating my ice cream deliciously.

He drives me back to my house with his motorcycle. I feel my heart beating fast and I giggle at my foolish thought—as if we’re a couple.