-28-

Standing On The Side Line

HI MY LOVELY READERS! >.<

First of all, I want to start the chapter with an apology. It has been a few months since I last updated and have let you guys waited for so long for an update! Even though I was busy with college, I knew I couldn't use it as an excuse. I have times to actually write story (and I tried to sit down with my mword opened) but I had a writer's block. I simply couldn't write anything. So I decided to just enjoy my life and let the inspiration to come when it wants too. So last night, I sat down in front of my laptop (I've come home for the holiday) and suddenly, I just wrote. I wrote the chapter I'm going to update right now just in one or two hours (I forgot, but it didn't take long; given, the chapter isn't that long as well) but I was content enough (hopefully you guys too!) because that had been the most eventful writing. I've not written anything (except flaming desire and that was even four months ago or so, and it was before my college started) so this is actually legit, people.

Anyway, I had wanted to post this last night but internet was damn faulty and it was midnight so I figured out that I might as well postpone updating for one night and update this tonight.

THIS IS FOR BELATED MERRY CHRISTMAS AND SOON HAPPY NEW YEAR!

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A NICE HOLIDAY! <3

Subscribes. Comments. Upvotes.

_____________________________

Holiday is finally over. Hyuna and I come back two days before school starts so we can have some time to prep ourselves. I stay mostly in bed the day after we come back and sleep through the day before finally waking up around noon. My mom (obviously) nags me about being lazy and how it isn't good for a girl and slowly stops when I don’t give her any response. Instead, she tells me to eat lunch and goes off to do the laundry. I eat the rice with some soup disinterestedly because I don’t feel hungry, nor do I feel full. It just happens I get the aftereffect of sleeping too long.

Finished with my food, I go back up to my room to get more sleeps. Even though I practically have spent half the day in bed, I still feel like lying down. But when I get back to my room, I see my phone on the floor and immediately go to check it. I have fifteen missed calls from Hyuna and chats from her. I look through my phone and find Kai’s number on the missed calls section, feeling rose blooms in my heart. Giggling like a teenage girl—which I am—I check my Kakao and find him chatting me up.

‘Good morning’

‘Hey Inna, do you want to go out?’

‘Hey, you awake?’

‘Reply me when you do ㅋㅋㅋ’

Immediately, I type down.

‘Hey,’

‘Sorry I just reply you ㅋㅋㅋ’

‘I was sleeping. Sure. Where do you want to go?’

Not long after, he replies.

‘What about going to the convenience store near your house?’

Before I can reply, he calls me. “Hey,” I pick up, sounding breathless.

“Hey,” I can hear the smile in his voice. “Let’s meet up at the convenience store then we decide where to go. Should we do that?”

“Yeah. I’ll see you in thirty minutes.” I say, inwardly giggling like schoolgirl.

“Make it fifteen.” And if a softer voice: “I miss you.”

When the call is gone, I’ve practically jumped out of the roof.

 

With a soft pink turtle neck sweater and long black jeans, I stand outside the convenience store. I wear a wool hat and wool gloves. I end my simple fashion with brown ankle boots and brown furry small bag. I leave the house before fifteen minutes is up and have been trying to calm my nerves down. This will be our first date—official or not, I don’t really care for now. All I know is that we’re going out somewhere just the two of us. The thought alone leave me a thrill sensation running down my spine.

“Inna?”

I stand straight at the sound of his melodious, husky voice. Turning around, I find him standing in front of me with a long black coat and his hair covers by snow. Without thinking I walk toward him and reach out, hitting softly on his hair to let the snow falls before they melt and makes him cold.

“Have you waited long?”

I shake my head no and smile up at him.

He smile back and takes my hand, putting it inside his pocket.

“I’m wearing glove you know.” I show him my covered hands and he just smiles mysteriously.

He takes off the glove on my hand which he is holding and wears the glove on his other hand. His hand that he uses to hold my hand is kept holding my hand then he puts our tangled hands back into his pocket. I laugh in the absurdity and the romance he tries to pull off.

He looks up and down at me before frowning. “Where is your coat?”

I grimace. “I think I forget,” I sheepishly say and try to look away.

“Well if you get cold, do tell me. I’ll find a way to keep you warm.”

My face turns warm and heated. I remember those stories inside the adult novels I read and feel my inside funny. My stomach churns when he says ‘Keep you warm’ and I can only think about me . My face blushes instantly like tomato and I control my breathing through my mouth. I should really not read stuffs not for my age.

“Are you okay?” He asks. “You seem quite red.” His worried voice gets through my fuzzy brain.

“I’m alright.” I manage to say.

“Should we stop buy a coffee shop and get you some warm chocolate drink?”

“I think that’s a great idea.” I smile at him and we walk to the nearest coffee shop in my neighborhood. Until now, I still don’t know where Kai lives, but I figure it doesn’t matter to me. At least, not right now.

The coffee shop is warm and cozy; perfect for the snowy winter. We sit down after ordering two hot chocolate milks. I notice that some girls in the room glance at him before giggling with their friends or within themselves. It’s so weird, because I used to be those girls. Noticing good-looking guys and talking about them with Hyuna. Although, Hyuna would say that I mostly have my eyes on the book I’m holding. Doesn’t matter though. Right now, I’m having a date with a guy most girls are having eyes on.

…doesn’t feel too nice though.

Kai goes up to take our drinks and comes back with a plate of chocolate chips.

I raise an eyebrow.

He looks bashful as he says, “The girl says that she’s giving the chips for free.”

I force a smile. “That’s nice of her.” I notice the girl behind the counter also has been looking at him.

He nods dismissively. “So, how do you feel?”

“About what?” I put my focus back on him.

“You know, the whole school starting soon.”

I feel my back relax. “I don’t know. I just don’t have any hope or anything. It’s school after all. What would I expect from that?” I laugh.

He laughs and nods. “What about your plans after high school? Do you have anywhere you want to go? What major to take?

For a long time, I was quiet. “I still don’t have idea about university, but I do want to go to college. I just don’t think that I’m going for SNU, KU, or anything of sorts. My dream is to be a writer, you see. I just want to go and take literature, but I still don’t know where to go. My parents don’t really agree with me being a writer as they assume that writer doesn’t have monthly payment. I mean, if I become a good writer, then it’s good. My lifetime career may as well take off successfully. But what if my writing isn't what the society expecting? What if my writing just a bundle of mess and it goes down before it even rockets up? I won’t get any deal, or any contract. That will be devastating. And I will possibly live off my parents’ money my whole life.”

Unknowingly, I’ve told him my worry over the future and I wonder if I’ve bored him to death. When I look at him, he’s looking at me with understanding and he reaches out. His uncovered hand closes over my ungloved hand. He rubs soft circles on my skin, making me slowly relax again. The talk has made me all agitated.

“I think you’d make it.” He smiles. “I’ve read the scripts you write remember? You write it as a story then you evolve it into a script. I think you’ll be an amazing writer.”

Smiling, I say, “Thank you.” Then, my lower lip, I ask: “What about you? What’s your dream and goal?”

He takes a long time too before opening up. “I dream to be a basketball player.” He starts and I nod; agreeing. He’s a great basketball player after all. “But it is an impossible dream. My parents want me to continue their business and have told me since long ago that I will be taking over my father as soon as I graduate a business degree. As you can see, they don’t give me choices. My father gave me an ultimatum long before I knew basketball and even though my heart is now with the basketball, I have to listen to my father. That’s life you see. You have worry over what to do after graduating high school but I have my life planned out after high school, so I have nothing to worry about. But you know, Inna, at least you’re happy. You’re happy when you’re wondering what to do, what to expect, and how to take care of your life. But I know everything already so I don’t have expectation, have nothing to hope for.” He pauses and I feel myself gasp. “I’m happy that you’re in my life, Inna.” He smiles. “Thank you, for being the one thing in my life that I can finally hope for.”

Unknowingly, a tear falls from my eyes. “Kai…”

“Right now, in this moment, I want to officially ask you out. Will you be my girlfriend, Inna?”

A happy smile makes its way up on my face, but I can’t control my face so I just nod, not believing my voice to let it out. So I nod harder, so he can see. So he knows. Though I don’t say it out loud, when I reach my hands out and place them around his neck, I know he knows my answer.

Yes.