-13-

Standing On The Side Line

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! LOVE YOU ALL.

Comments. Subscribes. Upvotes.

_________________________________________

 

“Are you feeling better now?” I ask, turning my head to look at L’s face.

“A bit.” He admits and drinks his canned soda.

“Good.” I smile and stand up from the bench. “I’ll go back to my class then.”

As I walk pass him, he grabs my wrist, halting my movement. “Inna…”

“Yes?” I turn to him and raise an eyebrow.

He is quiet for a second before shaking his head. “Nothing. Study well.”

I nod and leave him there.

 

Saturday comes faster than I wish for. This Saturday is different than other Saturdays because this Saturday, we have the first meeting of our ‘drama club’ meeting. I don’t know what this meeting is for, but Teacher Im calls us to this coffee shop near the school to gather. She says she has to talk about the drama’s script and this Saturday is best used for that.

She somehow knows our schedule (not like I have one) but it’s still creepy somehow.

I wake up groggily because Saturday supposes to be the day that I can wake up late, and take a quick bath. After the morning routine I take out a t-shirt that says ‘I love Seoul’ and a pair of blue jeans. I pull up my hair into a pony tail and put on some etude powder to cover my eye-bag, not that I have a noticeable one.

Anyway, I go down to the kitchen to find my mother cooking my most favorite food, pancakes. She tells me to sit as she grabs me a plate. I smile, swinging my legs playfully under the table.

“Good morning dad!” I greet my father with my charming smile and he ruffles my hair affectionately.

“You’re in good mood today, huh?” He chuckles as he sits on the head of the table; where the father usually sits at. He eyes my clothes and asks, “You’re going out? On Saturday?”

“Yes.” I reply with a raise eyebrow. Mom places the pancake in front of me and I pour some chocolate syrup on it. As I slice the pancake, dad talks again.

“With a boy?”

“Two,” I reply nonchalantly.

My father chokes on his coffee and I feel bad for trolling him that way.

“Well there’s Hyuna and Teacher Im as well. We’re going to discuss about the coming up drama stage for the coming up festival. You know; the one that Junhong and I told you about.”

He glares at me. “Oh, that one. Did you really have to shock me?”

“Sorry dad,” I giggle and he shakes his head.

“What time do you meet up with them?”

“Around ten? Hyuna’s driving me.”

“Oh, okay then.”

Junhong comes down when I am about to leave and he stares at me with his sleepy eyes. “Where are you going?”

“Out,” I reply, not bothering to say more as I slip into my shoes.

Hyuna is driving her blue Honda Fit. She smiles at me when I slip inside the passenger seat. She darts her eyes to the door and sees my brother standing there; clueless. Hyuna smiles her pretty smile to my brother and I raise my eyebrow seeing his cheeks turn pink.

As Hyuna drives her car out of the residential area, I say, “Don’t play with my brother’s heart, okay?”

Hyuna glances at me; shock. “Excuse me? Me playing your brother’s heart? A big no, sweetheart. I only think of him as my little brother. Why? How can you think that?” She blinks, halting her car at the red light.

“No, nothing,” I lie, knowing well that my brother has feelings for my best friend, and yet, I hide this truth from everyone. I’m not sure if Junhong knows his own feelings, but I’m pretty sure I know. He acts like a schoolgirl when Hyuna’s around and acts tough sometimes in front of her. I know one’s way of liking somebody.

“Are you sure?” She asks; fully suspicious of me.

“Yes, so sure,”

Hyuna drops the subject and changes it then. “So… how are you with Kai and L?”

“What about them?”

“What do you feel about them?”

I furrow my brows. “You know how I feel about Kai. What about L?”

“Don’t you like L?”

“Well, yes, I like him. But not like how I like Kai.” I reply and look out of the window, staring the passing scenery.

“Are you aware that L likes you?”

“Of course he likes me silly. We’re friends you know. You can’t be friends with someone who hates you.” I scoff.

“No no! Not friendship kind of like, stupid. I’m talking about ‘like’ like a lover.”

It takes a moment for me to process her words. “You mean… as a lover? You mean he likes me that ‘way’?” I turn to Hyuna with wide-eyes.

“Yes.” She nods, turning to left. “I mean, don’t you see? His eyes are practically turning into heart-shaped stars every time he sees you. Don’t you feel weird that he always asks you out just the two of you?”

“Well, I never really have guy as friends so don’t blame me for not noticing.” I retort. “Besides, I thought he was just thankful that I helped him out that night.”

“Oh yeah? Maybe after that fateful night he fell for you.” Hyuna chides brightly.

“Seriously, Hyun?” I roll my eyes. “I know that I’m not attractive; especially when I’m with you.”

“Hush, my sweetpie.” She scolds. “I really don’t like it when you talk like that. You know that you’re beautiful in your own way so never feel inferior when you’re with me. Besides, have you ever seen L ask me out just the two of ‘us’? He practically doesn’t see me when you’re with me!”

“You’re exaggerating! Stop matching me with him, will you?! He doesn’t like me that way, full stop!” I hiss as she stops the car in the café’s parking lot.

Hyuna sighs and turns to me. “I’m sorry, bae.” She chides. “I don’t mean to make you angry.”

I glare at her in warning.

“I promise I won’t tease you with him anymore…” She crosses her fingers behind her back.

“Hands?” She does that every time so I’m going to check her fingers when she makes promises.

“Look, Teacher Im’s waiting already!” She beams and gets out of the car like a bolt of lightning.

I make face at her as I get out of her car. Damn, she gets away every time.

 

“So we’re playing Cinderella this year.” Teacher Im beams as we stare boringly at her. I’m sorry, but Cinderella is so mainstreams that I don’t feel a little bit excited about it.

She claps excitedly as Hyuna flatly points out, “You played that last year.”

“And JeonHwa High is all about tradition which is why we’re playing the same drama from last year,” Teacher Im doesn’t look a little bit beaten with Hyuna’s truth of excitement.

“Are we going to play the same stage over?”

“Yes. We only have a script so we don’t exactly get to choose.” Teacher Im furrows her brows. “Anyway, I’ve thought about it last night and I’ve chosen who’s to play the lead characters.” She beams again. “Hyuna, you’re playing the Cinderella.”

“Are you kidding me?” Hyuna stares at the teacher. “Which part of these,” She motions to her face, “that looks like an innocent Cinderella?”

Teacher Im eyes Hyuna up and down then pouts. “But you’re beautiful.”

“Inna is beautiful too,” Hyuna says in annoyance.

I face-palm. Hyuna, what the hell are you doing? I want to hiss at her, but stay frozen when Teacher Im glances at me.

“That’s true but if you’re the lead, then I can already secure the audiences.” She says pleadingly.

I inwardly sigh. Not that I am sad because I am not chosen, but I just feel slightly disturbed because it kind of insulting of what she implies. Yes I’m not as hot and rich as Hyuna, but that doesn’t mean nobody won’t come to watch me! I have a small group of friends that will come to see me too.

I see a hand opening up in front of my eyes—I am looking down on my laps—and a candy is on the palm. I look up to see L staring at me with sympathy and I feel even worse. Am I that undesirable? L even sympathizes me! And to think that Hyuna thinks he likes me!

I feel annoyed suddenly and about to stand up when somebody does that first.

“I’m not taking the lead male character,” Kai says emotionlessly. “If you want me to play the prince charming, I get to choose the lead female.”

Teacher Im looks surprised. “You have someone in mind?”

Kai glances at me and I blink. What?

“Yes, I do.” He then looks at me. “Choi Inna, what do you think about playing the lead female character?”