Prologue

Standing On The Side Line

Inna doesn’t like sports. Any kinds of sport make her run out of breath and she doesn’t like watching boys playing in the field. So it is questionable when she suddenly volunteers to be an assistant manager for the basketball team—where it will take a lot of her time.

But she also doesn’t like studying or anything in that matter; but she does quite well in writing story—whether it is a fiction story or non-fiction story. But that’s off topic.

Her friend, Kim Hyuna, wonders why would she take up the job as an assistant manager, and most importantly, of a sport namely basketball. Of all living people, Hyuna knows her the best and she knows how Inna hates sport.

Basically, Inna and sport don’t go well together.

So when Inna comes to her one day and tells her that she applies for the job, Hyuna was raging.

“Why do you do that?” Hyuna rakes her beautiful fingers through her red brownish locks as she paces in front of Inna. “You know you cannot do anything that can tire you out or anything that requires strength.”

Inna chuckles as she takes out her novel, and most favorite one, Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn. “You’re worrying too much,”

“No, you know I’m not ‘worrying too much’. I’m worried just fine.” Hyuna says as she looks at Inna and finds the girl already absorbing herself inside the magical world of love. Sighing, Hyuna takes a seat beside Inna on the park bench.

They are in the school’s backyard where beautiful flowers and animals can be seen. It is a garden technically, but the school says it is a backyard and yada yada. This is one of their most favorite places in the school, other than the rooftop and the library.

“I hope you’d think it once more though.” Hyuna softly says.

Inna just smiles as she looks up from her book. “Don’t worry. You’re my first speed dial. If anything happens, I’ll call you immediately.”

Hyuna stares at Inna for a while before curling a beautiful smile on her face. “Alright. I’ll be running to you right away.”

 

 

 

It is tough, Inna realizes. She has been running around to collect wet towels to laundry and brings cold bottles of waters to the players. It is the day of the first basketball match in the season, and the coach has been a little too hard on her.

The manager of the basketball, namely Jang Hana, is busy loitering around and giving supports to the players. On the other hand, being someone who is not equally as beautiful and smart, Inna has to do the hard job, such as taking dirty cloths and bringing drinks.

Though she does everything, none of the players will notice her since they are all busy trying to get Hana’s attention.

Inna doesn’t get jealous though. She understands perfectly where she stands at and doesn’t want to ask for any special attention. What she feels though, is unfairness. Why is she the only to do the work and running around whilst Hana gets to stand there and smile?

“You’d do great, Minkyung ah.” Hana says sweetly as she battled her eyelashes, poking her manicured forefinger timidly on Minkyung’s chest.

Minkyung is basically melted under the touch.

Feeling disgusted, Inna turned around to leave the room. Just before she takes a step forward though, she hits something hard and solid.

She looks up to see Kai standing before her; his body is sweaty and hot.

Before she could admire the perfection though, Hana has already ran forward and pushes Inna to the side, making her to hit the locker door, and worries over Kai. Kai doesn’t even glance or respond to anything as he walks forward to the center of the room. Anyone in the right mind can see he is angry.

Inna lets out a silent sigh and leave before she can hears what Kai is about to say.

 

 

 

 

“Gosh, you should see how the Sankyung player playing! They were cheating their off!” Hyuna furiously tells Inna when they meet at the bleachers. “I was about to choke the team leader of Sankyung’s basketball team!”

Inna can only chuckles at her friend’s behavior. “You’re being too serious. This is all just a game.”

“A game you say?!” Hyuna shakes her head in disbelief. “That was no game, I tell you! Sankyung’s players were being unfair and they constantly attacked our school’s players. One of our team also injured!”

So that was why Kai was angry, Inna thinks as she looks at Hyuna. “Who was injured?”

Hyuna taps her chin, trying to remember. “…I think… his name is Luhan…no, no… uh…”

Inna rolls her eyes. “You really have a bad memory.”

Hyuna smiles sheepishly. “Why don’t you go find out by yourself? After all, I think it’s your duty to help the injured player.”

“Oh no. That’s not mine, obviously.”

“What do you mean?” Hyuna furrows her eyebrows.

“Well, I manage the laundries and cleanings. Other than those, the manager takes care of it.”

“You mean the ‘good’ ones?” Hyuna raises an eyebrow mockingly.

“Basically yeah.” Inna replies.

“Oh my God, Inna, why are you so stupid?” Hyuna scolds.

“Hey, I’m not the one with zero on my math.”

“I’m not talking about education! I’m talking about social life! How can you let her take all the good parts? Nobody will remember someone who washes their cloths or cleans their room!”

Inna shrugs. “I’m not in the place to defy. She’s prettier and probably smarter. In any way, nobody would be on my side to say anything.”

“Oh gosh! Who’s the girl?”

Right then, Jang Hana walks out from the lockers’ room and goes to the team’s seats.

“No way! Don’t tell me!” Hyuna looks at me furiously as I looks at her with pitiful and forgive me face. “Why didn’t you tell me!? God knows how I hate her! She’s mean, Inna!”

Not like I can do anything about it, Inna says in her mind. “Well, I think I got to go! The game’s going to start soon!”

“HEY! HEY! I HAVENT DONE TALKING YET YOU MINDLESS GIRL!” Hyuna shouts, but her voice is drowned by the sudden applause as the two basketball teams reenter the stadium.

 

 

 

Inna goes back to the lockers’ room to collect more dirty towels to bring to the bathroom to wash. There is only one person inside and by the looks of it, he isn’t fine. She decides that maybe it is better to leave him be. She doesn’t want to get notice nor does she want to talk. Besides, if anyone leaves him alone, maybe he wants to be alone.

So she cleans the place up as quiet as she can be and tiptoes out of the room.

“Hey.”

Inna stops in surprise when she hears the guy speak. Slowly she turns and sees the guy is looking at her.

“Who are you?” He asks.

Gosh, this is awkward, Inna thinks as she placed the basket of laundry down and rubs the back of her neck. “I’m the assistant manager.”

“Oh right. They did say about Hana’s assistant.” The guy says. “What’s your name and what class are you from?”

“I’m Park Inna and I’m from 2-B.”

He looks at her for a long time that she thinks he has stopped the time. “Can you help me?”

She raises an eyebrow. “Sure. What do you need?”

He lifts his right hand and she sees an obvious red mark on his wrist. “I think my wrist is broken.”

Her eyes widen at his words. “What do you mean?”

“Well, our opponents apparently played badly. One of them slapped my hand down and one even trampled it.” He says with a slight shrug, pretending not to care and as if it doesn’t anger him.

She doesn’t know that she has already walked toward him and when she reaches him, she holds his “broken” wrist. She examines the red mark and decides that he is exaggerating. “You don’t have and will not have broken wrist. Maybe swollen, but not broken.” She tells him with squinted eyes.

“Maybe I spice it up a little.” His lips curl into a handsome smile. 

“Well, I could help you bandage this if you want.” She says and walks away to take the first-aid kit.

“Oh, by the way, my name’s Luhan.”