Chapter 46

Trusting Demons

“We’ve got a clue,” JB called out, waving around the piece of paper he’d found pinned to the front door.

“That didn’t take too long,” Ken observed, “I thought it would take her longer to get bored.”

“It took her a week,” Jackson rolled his eyes, “I’m shocked that she lasted that long.”

“She does like to have something to do,” JB nodded.

“Better this then something else,” Jackson nodded. Everyone else nodded in agreement, knowing exactly what the ‘something else’ he was referring to was.

“What kind of clue did she give us?” Hyorin asked, returning everyone’s attention to the task at hand.

“A crappy one,” JB scowled as he read over the paper, “What does this even mean?”

“Look to the water?” N read, eyebrow raised, “I don’t get it.”

“No one would,” JB sighed, “she wants to watch us run around like headless chickens for a while. Then she’ll give us an actual clue.”

“Or she’ll keep the game going for a few days,” Jackson scowled, “keep us chasing clues like that before finally getting bored and telling us where the contract is.”

“Then there will be a fight,” BamBam nodded, “all just to keep her happy and entertained.”

“Unless we figure out where the contract is with the first clue,” Ken spoke up, “then she has no power.”

“And how do we do that?” Jackson questioned.

“Well,” Hongbin spoke up, “we could send out two teams. One checks the river and the other can check out some other place with water. The park fountain for example.”

“That’s the best plan we have,” N shrugged, “might as well go for it.”

“We should have someone stay here,” JB suggested, “in case this is just a plot to get us out of the house so that she can lay a trap for us here.”

“I’ll stay,” Rina said, “Yong Guk and I will stay here and keep an eye on things here. Hyuk can also stay here.”

“Alright,” Hyuk nodded, “we can train a little while everyone is gone.”

“I’ll lead one team,” N decided, “and JB can lead the other.”

“Who goes with who?” Hyorin asked, trying to figure it out in her own head.

“Leo can go with N,” JB said, looking thoughtful, “and Ken can come with me. Jackson might be best with me ‘cuz his powers clash with Leo’s.”

“Then I’ll take BamBam,” N added, “And Hongbin can you with you and Ravi will go with me.”

“What about Hyorin?” Ken asked, silently hoping that his master would go with his team so he could stay close to her. He’d been forced to leave her rather quickly on their last little adventure and didn’t want a repeat of that experience.

“Best to keep her around Hongbin,” N finally said, trying not to sound bitter, “that way if something happens to cloud her emotional control, he’s right there to help calm her down.”

Hyorin bit back a shout at that. It had been a while since the last time her emotions had gotten out of control and affected her powers. Hearing N imply that her control might slip annoyed her. But she had to remember that he was just worried about her. That was what he did and she couldn’t get angry with him about it. He was like a mother or over protective boyfriend.

“We’ll check the river,” Hongbin said, “You guys go look at, like, the park fountain.”

“Alright,” Leo nodded, “be careful.”

With that, the two teams slip up, each going their own way.

“I have a theory,” Hongbin said as the group made their way to the river, “but I think it might be wrong so I wasn’t sure if I should say anything with everyone there.”

“Don’t be so embarrassed,” Ken assured his younger brother, “it’s not like anyone would laugh at you or anything.”

“What’s your theory?” JB asked.

“The locations of the contracts,” Hongbin explained, “they always seem to be places that Hyorin goes a lot. The library, the school, that bakery.”

“Yeah,” Jackson nodded, “so?”

“So maybe this new contract is hidden near a place Hyorin goes, too,” Hongbin said, “that would be either the park or the river.”

“I don’t go to the river, though,” Hyorin frowned.

“But you do walk by it going to school and coming home,” Hongbin pointed out, “so it’s worth going there just to see.”

“You have a point,” JB said, “When we get home, we should make a list of all the places that Hyorin goes.”

“Yeah,” Ken nodded, “then the next time we get a clue, we have a better idea of where to look.”

“We’d have to be careful, though,” Hyorin reminded them, “if she figured out what we’ve figured out…..”

“We can’t use it anymore,” Jackson nodded.

“Assuming I’m right,” Hongbin spoke up, “I could be wrong, so we shouldn’t get our hopes up.”

“Well, I think you’re spot on,” JB said, pointing ahead to where Yugyeom and Youngjae were standing, looking out across the river.

“Well, damn,” Jackson laughed lightly, “would you look at that?”

“Get ready for a fight,” Ken said, glaring at Yugyeom as memories of seeing his master hurt and bloody flooded his mind.

A/N: alright, so whose contract do you think it is? I’m going to tell you all right now, you cannot say ‘Mark’ because I have plans for him later on.