Chapter 32

Trusting Demons

Ken yawned as he sat on the roof of the boarding house. It had to be about one in the morning and he was so freaking sleepy. He didn’t even know why, after all he did spend the whole day resting up to make sure he’d be wide awake and clear headed for night watch.

“Only one person on watch?” Ken jumped a foot in the air before turning around to find Mark watching him, “I’m kind of insulted.”

“ you,” Ken hissed before using his powers to call for his brothers, “N, we’ve got company."

It took N only a few seconds to arrive on the roof, Leo following close behind and Ravi a few steps behind him. For a fraction of a second, Ken wondered where Hyuk and Hongbin were. However he was quick to realize that they must have decided to stay close to Hyorin. The last to arrive on the roof was JB who cast a sad look at his brother before trying to look impassive.

“What do you want?” N asked, not even trying to sound civil.

“My master is bored,” Mark shrugged, “she wants to give you a clue.”

“A clue?” Ravi questioned, “For what?”

“The next contract,” Mark explained, “you haven’t gotten anywhere looking for it on your own, so she’s decided to step in.”

“And why would she want to give us a clue?” N scoffed, “why help us take away one of the demons that she’s enslaved?”

“She’s bored,” JB sighed, “losing one or two of us doesn’t matter so long as she’s entertained. Right?”

“Yeah,” Mark nodded, a sad glint in his eye.

“So what’s the clue?” Ken asked, wishing that the speed demon would give them the clue and leave. Quickly.

“She said,” Mark cleared his throat before doing an impression of a female voice, “what is Hyorin’s favorite food? You’ll find a contract there.” with that, Mark nodded to his brother and left.

“Hyorin’s favorite food?” Ken asked after a moment, looking and sounding a little panicked, “how would she know that. We don’t even know that. Well, I don’t anyway.”

“I don’t know it either,” N frowned, looking just as troubled, “how would she know that?”

“She’s probably been spying on Hyorin,” JB suggested, “probably using my youngest brother’s beast form.”

“What’s his beast form?” Leo asked.

“Yugyeom’s is a raven,” JB said, “He can use that to get close to her without anyone knowing. His power, shadow manipulation, can be used for spying too now that I think about it.”

“How long do you think he’s been spying on her?” N asked, “or us?”

“Not long,” JB sighed, “I would know if he’d used his beast form or power when I was still, you know, under contract. Both leave him really sick if he uses them for too long.”

“So if you didn’t know,” Leo summarized, “he’s only been spying for a short time.”

“Alright,” N sighed, exhaustion clear on his face, “let’s go back to bed. Leo, please take over for Ken. We’ll deal with everything in the morning, alright?”

“Right,” everyone nodded before heading off to bed or, in Leo’s case, staying on the roof.

Morning came and found Ken in Hyorin’s room, sorting through her closet as he looked for something. The half demon girl woke up to find him going through her cloths and rolled her eyes. She had no idea what Ken was doing and she felt too tired to care. Rolling over and trying to go back to sleep didn’t work out, however, because Ken had heard her moving and knew that she was awake.

“Here,” he smiled, handing her a shirt and pants, “get dressed. We have things to do today.”

“Like?” Hyorin yawned, trying to wake herself up since she knew Ken wasn’t about to let her sleep any longer. Not if he wanted to do something anyway.

“We’ve got a contract to find,” he proudly grinned and Hyorin – now fully awake – rushed to get changed.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” she asked as the pair rushed outside, “like right when I woke up?”

“I was getting to it,” the sound demon shrugged.

“Where are the others?” she asked, finally realizing that she and Ken were alone.

“They’re still sleeping,” Ken explained, “I wanted to just a jump on finding the contract. Plus, I don’t think N would let you come. Not after the last time you crossed paths with a Got7 demon.”

“Right,” Hyorin nodded, “how do you know where the contract is?”

Ken started to explain about Mark’s late night visit. Before Hyorin could ask why their enemy would give them a clue, Ken reminded her of JB’s points; it was all a game to Nayoung. Hyorin frowned, clearly displeased with the information, but decided that freeing JB’s brothers had to come first. Worrying about what kind of twisted botch Nayoung was would have to wait.

“So,” Ken finished, “what is your favorite food?”

“Chocolate chip cookies,” she replied.

“Lot of places that sell those,” Ken frowned, suddenly wished he had waited for his brothers and JB to wake up. Having seven demons out searching had to be quicker than one demon and a half demon. Maybe Rina would have been willing to help, too.

“We could try looking in the bakery I like to go to?” Hyorin suggested, “just as a starting point.”

“Alright,” Ken nodded after thinking it over. Starting with the place Hyorin went most often did seem like the smartest move for them.

“There,” Hyorin whispered to Ken as they pretended to look over the baked goods on display, “behind the cash register.”

“I see it,” Ken nodded, glancing up quickly at the contract hanging on the wall.

As luck would have it, the contract was in the third place they looked. It worked out rather well since the store was just starting to open when they arrived there as opposed to the previous two stops which had still been closed. Now the only problem was how to get the contract without being noticed.

“I can distract him,” Hyorin suggested, “while you grab the contract and run.”

“No,” Ken frowned, “I don’t think that would work.”

“We’ll see,” Hyorin shrugged before turning to the young man at the cash register, “excuse me?”

“Yes?” the man smiled, clearly trying to flirt with Hyorin, something that irritated Ken a great deal, “what can I help you with?”

“I was wondering if you had any tarts,” Hyorin smiled, “I don’t see any here.”

“Let me check the kitchen,” the man said before leaving for the back room. Hyorin flashed Ken a bright, I-told-you-so smile and he rolled his eyes before making his way over to the contract.

Ken had only just taken the framed contract from the wall when the man returned. Slightly panicked, Ken knocked the man out with his powers before the man even realized Ken was behind the register.

“Not how I planned it,” Hyorin sighed, “but I guess it worked.”

“Here’s to hoping he doesn’t call the cops when he wakes up,” Ken tried to laugh.

“Ken,” Hyorin started to say before something outside caught her attention, “Ken?”

The sound demon looked over at her, deeply concerned when he heard the scared tone of voice that she had used. He followed her gaze to see two boys standing across the street, looking at them with small smirks. It took less than a second for Ken to realize who they were.

Jackson and BamBam of Got7

A/N: oh my! What is Ken going to do now? What is Hyorin going to do?