Chapter 30

Trusting Demons

Hyuk and Hyorin sat in the school library, reviewing for a big test that was scheduled for the end of the week. Studying for a test in school was so normal when compared to Hyorin’s out-of-school activities, but maybe that was why she enjoyed it so much. It was normal and had nothing to do with fighting an evil half-demon who wanted to kill her. It was probably the most relaxing thing in her life.

Kind of sad, she thought to herself.

“Look,” Hyorin glanced up to see a group of jocks pointing in her direction, “it’s the Jung girl.” she tensed, unsure of what the group of boys was going to do.

Hyuk, noticing the change in Hyorin’s posture, looked up. Noticing the hint of dread in her eyes, he followed her gaze to the boys. He narrowed his eyes, glaring at the group as they made their way closer. The boys dropped their stuff at a nearby table and sat down, but never took anything out. Instead, they started making horrible comments about Hyorin, calling her every bad name that they could think of.

Hyuk bit his tongue, fighting the urge to do something. Anything. He could see how much their words upset Hyorin and he hated seeing her hurt. But he also knew that he couldn’t cause a scene, not at school where he could get caught by a teacher and suspended or expelled. He knew that he would have to wait until later to do anything, when the group of boys were off school grounds and no teacher could save them from Hyuk’s anger.

Well, that was what Hyuk kept telling himself until one of the boys said – loudly enough so that Hyorin defiantly heard – that he would like to screw Hyorin. Actually, he said a couple of things after that, but it only added to Hyuk’s anger, blinding him to the fact that he was storming over to the group. His mind didn’t clear until he’d punched the boy in the face.

“Hyuk,” Hyorin rushed to get up, trying to stop him, but it was already too late.

The boy’s friends started to gang up on Hyuk, trying to beat him up for punching their friend. Thanks to Hyuk being a demon, there was not risk of him getting seriously hurt, but having six guys all ganging up on him still made for a bit of a challenge. Behind him, Hyorin tried to get closer, hoping that she might be able to stop the fight, but she was pulled back by another boy.

Hyorin let out a startled cry, attracting Hyuk’s attention.

The demon froze for a second, his brain trying to remind him that the boys were human. They couldn’t do any serious damage to Hyorin. There was no reason for him to let his true demonic nature show. However the human boy was touching Hyorin and Hyuk couldn’t have that. He wasn’t going to let one of those losers touch his master. Hyuk turned back to the humans he was fighting and fought harder than before. He wanted to beat them so badly that they never touched his master again.

From the side lines, Hyorin noticed Hyuk’s eyes flashing red. She knew what that meant – his true demonic nature was begging to be set free. If that happened………she couldn’t let that happen. But the boy holding her wasn’t about to let her go and she wasn’t strong enough to fight back. She felt weak and scared.

Back at home, N and the others felt her fear and exchanged worried looks before running off. They had no idea what was going on, but they knew that they had to help their master and their brother. As they ran, N told the others to hang back and let him go in first. They couldn’t just barge in without knowing what they were fighting against, that was just foolish and could land them in a much worse situation.

N burst into the library, running as fast as he could to find Hyorin being held by a boy while Hyuk fought against a handful of other boys. It only took N a second to realize what was going on and he felt his blood boil with rage.

“Get away from them,” he hissed, glaring darkly at the human boys.

The boys glanced at him before returning to what they had been doing. They didn’t recognize N, but as long as he wasn’t a teacher it didn’t matter to them. That just made N madder and he took a step towards the boys, just in time for one of them to throw a book at his head.

“N!” Hyorin cried, watching N stumble back. She knew that, realistically, the book couldn’t do too much damage to the demon, but getting hit in the nose had to hurt whether you were a human or a demon.

“ing s,” N growled, eyes flashing red as he held his bleeding nose.

“He said to get away from them,” Leo’s voice rang out. Normally, no one would have been able to hear his soft voice over the sound of Hyuk fighting the human boys, but Ken had used his power to make Leo louder.

Everyone turned to find Leo, Ken, Ravi, and Hongbin glaring darkly at the human boys. Maybe it was how scary Leo looked or maybe it was because the four plus N and Hyuk made the fight more fair, but the human boys slowly withdrew before leaving the library completely. The second Hyorin could move, she rushed over to stand behind Leo and Ravi. Hongbin moved to her side, pulling her into a hug and using his powers to calm her down.

“You alright?” Ken asked, throwing his arms around Hyorin and effectively cocooning her between himself and Hongbin.

“I’m fine now,” she smiled, feeling much more calm now and not just because of Hongbin’s power, “thank you.”

“What about you Hyuk?” Ravi asked, turning his attention to Hyuk who was rubbing his head.

“I’m fine,” the youngest replied, “one of those hats pulled out some of my hair though. Damn, that stings. What about you, N hyung?”

“Fine,” N sighed, walking over to hug Hyorin, “but does anyone have some, like, tissue or something?” Leo pulled a small package of tissues from his jeans and handed it over to the older.

--

After leaving the library, one of the jocks split off from the rest of the group, saying that he was getting something to drink. The boy walked until he reached a deserted stairwell. Looking around to make sure no one was around to see, he ducked into the crawl space under the stairs. Already sitting there was a figure, mostly hidden by shadows.

“Here,” the jock said, handing over the hair he’d been holding tightly in his hand. The hair he’d pulled from Hyuk’s head during the fight.

“Good,” said the figure – a woman. She dropped the hair into a baggy before telling the boy to go. He nodded before walking off. When he got far enough away, he paused. An empty look appeared on his face, vanishing moments later. The boy tried to recall what he had been doing moments before, only to give up and grab a drink from the closest vending machine.

“My plan,” the woman, Nayoung, giggled, “is going so very well.” She smirked down at the bag of hair before leaving.

A/N: poor N. and poor Hyukkie. And I wonder why Nayoung needs Hyuk’s hair. What plan is she talking about?? and, as you probably guessed, i'm back from my week off!!!!! aren't you happy to see me? haha