Chapter 24

Trusting Demons

Sneaking out past Yong Guk had turned out to be harder that he’d thought. After the third failed attempt at getting past the human without him knowing, Ravi decided to make use of the tree outside Hyorin’s window. Considering the old tree looked like it would fall over in a light breeze, Ravi had seriously started to question taking Hyorin out that way. But before he could suggest another way, she was outside and using her flight to get to the ground safely.

Ravi could have kicked himself for forgetting that she could do that.

“So where do you want to look?” she asked him once he’d gotten down himself.

“Maybe we should just wander around,” he said, “but we should keep to the less traveled paths. We can’t risk running into N and the others.” Because his brothers would rip him a new one if they found out what he was doing. Especially N.

“Alright,” Hyorin smiled before walking off in a random direction, Ravi following close behind and keeping an eye out for trouble.

Sadly, it didn’t take very long for trouble to find them.

“Hey!” a young boy smiled at them, “look who I found.”

“Do we know you?” Ravi raised an eyebrow, moving to stand closer to Hyorin in case the stranger attacked.

“Not yet,” the boy smiled, “my name is Youngjae. I’m Got7.”

Before Youngjae could say anything else, Ravi charged at him. However, instead of hitting him, Ravi ran right through him.

“What?” Ravi growled, rushing back to Hyorin side so she wasn’t left unprotected.

“That’s my power,” Youngjae shrugged, “ghost.”

“Ghost?” Hyorin tried to figure out why he called his power ghost.

“Yeah,” he smiled at the pair, “everything goes right through me. Just like I’m a ghost.” Ravi glared at the other demon, trying to think of a way they could fight him, when an idea popped into his head. With a small smile, he turned to Hyorin.

As per Ravi’s suggested, Hyorin was hitting Youngjae with everything she had. But no matter how many times she tried to blow him away with her wind, Youngjae just kept standing there, letting all of her attacks go right through him. Blow after blow kept failing and Ravi could tell she was getting frustrated by the lack of progress.

“That’s enough,” Ravi finally told her, “you can stop.” She did as told, panting slightly due to the over use of her power.

“Well that was pointless,” Youngjae sighed, ruffling his hair, “I thought I told you. All of your attacks go right though me.”

“When I say,” Ravi whispered in her ear, “run up to him and give him one last blast.”

“But it will go right through,” she frowned, “we proved that already.”

“After every attack, he goes solid for about seven seconds,” Ravi explained, “that’s our chance.” Hyorin’s eyes widened slightly as she realized that this was why Ravi had told her to attack. He’d wanted observe Youngjae so he could figure out his weakness.

“Alright,” Ravi’s expression hardened in concentration as he threw up an illusion, “go.”

What Youngjae could see was simple; Hyorin trying to hit him with another blast of wind. Just like all the times before, he activated his powers, letting the wind go right through him.

In reality, Hyorin was running up to him. Just as she got to him, Youngjae went solid, allowing her a chance to attack. She smashed her hand into his stomach, intending to blow him back with a powerful gust of wind. But instead of wind, she blasted him with a jolt of electricity.

She recoiled, pulling away as fast as she could. She looked terrified and Ravi recalled the last time he’d seen that look on her face; at the mall when her fire powers had gotten out of control. Youngjae fell to the ground and Hyorin ran to Ravi, wrapping her arms around him as she started to cry. He couldn’t make out her words too well, but he figured she thought she’d killed Youngjae.

“Don’t worry,” he tried to calm her down, “you didn’t kill him. Look, he’s still breathing.”

Hyorin turned slightly, glancing over at Youngjae’s fallen form. It took her a moment, but his chest was indeed rising and falling.

“Thank god,” she sighed, resting her weight against Ravi as she started crying again, “I didn’t kill him. Thank god.”

Youngjae was still alive. She hadn’t killed someone. She hadn’t taken the life of another because of a mistake with her powers. She’d probably come close though and that terrified her. She’d come close to realizing one of her biggest fears: messing up so badly that it killed someone.

“Let’s go home,” Ravi suggested, starting to lead his master away from the fallen demon, “we’ll search another day.”

--

Ravi had hoped that he’d be able to get Hyorin home without anyone figuring out that they’d left. If Yong Guk found out, he could deal with that. It might take some work to get the human to see things his way, but Ravi had faith he could manage it. N and his brothers were another story.

“Were did you two go?” N glared at Ravi as he entered through the front door, Hyorin right behind him.

Crap.

A/N: Oh dear. N’s not too happy now is he? Can’t say I blame him. I mean, Ravi DID go against his orders and that did end up putting Hyorin in danger (not that Ravi knew that, but still).