Chapter 34

Trusting Demons

“Alright,” N announced, “we’ll cover more ground if we split up.”

“Yeah,” JB nodded, “Nayoung probably already knows that Jackson’s contract is gone and that we’re trying to find BamBam’s. She’ll have sent Jr, Youngjae, Mark, and Yugyeom out to stop us.”

“Best not to get into a fight with any of them alone,” Leo added.

“Where’s Rina?” Hyorin asked, looking around for the other half demon.

“She’s watching the house,” Hyuk explained while the three oldest tried to figure out teams, “and Yong Guk. We don’t know if Nayoung will try to attack while we’re all focused on BamBam’s contract.”

“Better safe than sorry,” Hongbin nodded in agreement.

“Ok,” N called everyone’s attention back to him, “here are the teams. I’m with Hyuk. Leo and Ravi will search together, too.”

“I’m with Hongbin,” JB said, “and Jackson? I want you to go with Ken and Hyorin. Take BamBam with you, make sure he’s alright.”

“Be safe,” N said as everyone split off, “don’t take any unnecessary risks, alright?”

“Right.”

--

“Wait,” Leo narrowed his eyes, hand reaching out and grabbing Ravi’s arm to stop the illusion demon.

“What’s wrong?” Ravi asked, looking around, “I don’t see anything.”

“You go on ahead,” Leo said, pushing Ravi ahead.

“But,” Ravi frowned, “N hyung said not to slip up. I can’t leave you alone.”

“Just go,” Leo glared at him, “I’m better suited for this fight than you are. no one can touch either of us.”

Ravi looked confused before he realized what Leo was talking about. Youngjae was there, hidden from view. Ravi recalled he last time they’d fought the demon who could go ‘ghost’ and felt anger bubble up inside of him. It was Youngjae’s fault that Hyorin had cried that day, the reason she’s been so upset. he wanted so badly to beat the other to a bloody pulp, but Leo was right; he wasn’t suited for a fight against an enemy he couldn’t touch.

“Make him bleed,” Ravi said before running away.

“Of course,” Leo nodded.

“So you sent the illusion demon off?” Youngjae questioned, stepping out from his hiding place, “not sure if that was stupid or smart.”

“Guess we’ll find out,” Leo smirked slightly, looking forewords to beating the demon who’d caused his master so much pain.

--

“,” Hongbin cursed as JB grabbed his arm and used his wind to push them both back, “what was that for?”

“That,” JB nodded to where they had been standing.

Hongbin followed his gaze to find that their shadows where still where they had stood. Moments later, both shadows rose from the ground, becoming three dimensional. Hongbin looked confused for a moment before a young boy stepped out of the shadow cast by a nearby building. Literally.

“Hey, hyung,” the boy nodded at JB.

“What’s up, Yugyeom?” JB greeted, expression hard but eyes full of remorse.

“Guess I can’t talk you into switching sides,” Yugyeom frowned, “too bad. Master misses you.”

“I’m so sure,” JB rolled his eyes, “and there’s no way I’m going back to her. I’ll die first.”

“Then I guess I’ll have to kill you,” Yugyeom shrugged before waving his arms.

The shadows of Hongbin and JB charged at the real ones, arms turning into sharp blades. JB dodged them expertly, but Hongbin didn’t dodge quite as well. Sure he didn’t get cut, but JB made it look easy and elegant while Hongbin looked like a drunken elephant. He supposed it was only natural since JB had probably trained with Yugyeom most of their lives and knew all of his moves, but it still stung in pride.

“Get out of here,” JB said when the shadows pulled back, “go find the contract.”

“But,” Hongbin started to say, only for JB to interrupt him.

“You’re of more value looking for the contract that fighting,” JB explained, “I know how to handle Yugyeom, you don’t. I know you’re a good fighter, but this fight……this isn’t a fight you’re powers are suited for.”

“Fine,” Hongbin nodded, accepting JB’s logic, “I’ll find the contract. I promise.”

“You better,” JB smiled slightly, “on my signal, run past Yugyeom.”

“Alright.”

“Now!”

Hongbin ran, passing Yugyeom thanks to the huge gust of wind JB blasted the shadow demon with. Hongbin heard shouting behind him and felt wind pushing him ahead, but he didn’t stop running nor did he look back. He couldn’t afford that, he just had to hope that JB would be fine.

--

“Hey!” Mark yelled, waving at Ken, Hyorin, Mark, and BamBam from where he stood, blocking the road in front of the group.

“Hey, Mark,” Jackson started to smile before he remembered what sides they were on; different ones.

“I can’t let you guys past,” Mark sighed, “orders, ya know? She doesn’t want you to get BamBam’s contract. She said……she said she has something special planned for him when he gets home.” BamBam whimpered, cowering slightly. Hyorin pulled the small demon tightly to her side, trying to comfort him. Ignoring the bit of jealousy he felt at seeing BamBam so close to his master, Ken also reached over to comfort the demon.

“Well forget that,” Jackson growled, “like I’m going to let her do anything to him.”

“Go on head, “Ken whispered to Hyorin, “take BamBam. Jackson and I will take care of this guy.”

“Are you sure?” Hyorin questioned him, “every time you’ve gone against him…..well, it hasn’t ended well for you.” Ken tried not to wince at that bit of truth.

“He has me this time,” Jackson pointed out, “so we’ll win this thing. Just go.”

“Can’t let you leave,” Mark said before running at them.

Just as he activated his powers, Jackson used his own powers to create a sheet of ice right in front of him. Mark hit the ice and started slipping and sliding out of control.

“Now!” Jackson yelled at Ken who shot off a blast of sound at the speed demon, knocking him back into a wall.

“Go,” Ken instructed Hyorin and BamBam, “we’ve got this.”

Hyorin nodded before taking BamBam’s hand and running off.

“Crap,” Mark sighed getting up, “she is not going to like this.”

“Sorry,” Jackson frowned sadly, “but I have to keep BamBam safe.”

“I know,” Mark nodded before heading in for another attack.

A/N: oh my, how will Leo, JB, and Ken and Mark do against their opponents? And will Hyorin, BamBam, Ravi, and Hongbin find the contract? Find out next chapter!!