Chapter 41

Trusting Demons

So, Ravi asked, how many of the beasts are you friends with?

Um, Hyorin tried to remember, not that many actually. There are the wolves, Sehun and Tao appas’ beasts. And the serpent, Suho appa’s beast. Oh, and the unicorn.

The unicorn, Hyuk said, that would be Lay’s beast, right?

Yeah, she nodded, the unicorn is one of the friendliest.

What of the dragon? Leo asked, recalling Kris and Chanyeol’s beast forms, and the phoenix?

I haven’t seen them yet, Hyorin sighed sadly, the serpent says that they aren’t very trusting, that they don’t like people. They probably will like me even less because they were forced to live inside me.

No one could ever hate you, Ken smiled, throwing an arm around her shoulders, you’re too cute and lovable to hate.

Nayoung hates me, she pointed out, earning a neck chop from N

Nayoung is crazy, the leader said, and homicidal. It’s probably a good thing she doesn’t like you.

Right, she nodded.

We should keep an eye out, Hongbin pointed out, we don’t know if any of the beasts will try to attack us.

Bin is right, Hyuk nodded, I mean, if they don’t want to be near the shadows like the serpent and wolves, they aren’t going to be too close to it. But the farther we are………

The more chance of running into something that wants to fight, N nodded, Ken, keep an ear out. I want to know the second you hear anything.

Got it, Ken nodded, moving to walk closer to N so he didn’t have to yell out his findings to the leader.

Leo, N turned to the heat demon, you’re in front. I want you to burn anything that gets near us.

Alright, Leo moved to the front as instructed.

Hyuk, N turned to the youngest, see if you can change into your best form. We might need to get Hyorin out of her quickly as you’re the fastest.

Ok, Hyuk nodded, trying to shift forms and failing to do so, not ok then.

If that isn’t going to work, N frowned, then stay with me and Hyorin in the middle. Hongbin and Ravi can walk in back and keep an eye out for anything coming up behind us.

The three youngest did as told, but Hyorin could hear Hyuk cursing his inability to be of use under his breath. She reached over and grabbed his hand, silently reassuring him that he wasn’t useless and that she needed him there. Hyuk flashed a small smile at her, happy that even if he was useless his master still wanted him there with her. That almost made everything alright.

Hear anything? N asked Ken, attempting to fill the silence that had fallen upon the group.

Not yet, Ken sighed, everything seems to be pretty quiet.

No sooner had he said that then a large dragon with bright red scales dropped out of the sky, landing in front of them. the beast roared, the sound so loud that the six demons and their master couldn’t help but cry out in pain as they held their ears.

What do we have here? the dragon asked, the little brat who I am sealed within. How…….wonderful.

Hyorin couldn’t stop the small squeak of fear that slipped past her lips. The look in the beast’s eyes scared her so badly that her knees gave out and she fell to the ground. Her demons growled, beyond angry with the dragon that had scared their master so badly. No one was allowed to do that to her.

Ken, N ordered, we’ll hold the dragon off. Leo, go on ahead with Hyorin and the maknae line. Don’t look back.

Right, Leo nodded, picking Hyorin up off the ground and running away with her into another part of the forest.

Hyuk and Hongbin shared a worried look before following the heat demon. Neither looked back, knowing that if they did they wouldn’t be able to go on. They would turn around and try to help N and Ken. Ravi watched the three leave before moving to stand with his two remaining brothers.

I told you to go, N yelled as the dragon started moving closer to them.

I can’t leave you alone, Ravi replied, you might need help.

Why can’t you just listen to me for once! N growled.

The leader didn’t get to say anything else because the phoenix landed behind them. Just as N started to give orders about how to deal with this new threat, the fire bird swung one of his flame covered wings at them. The three didn’t have time to duck and the wing hit them.

--

N opened his eyes to find himself back in Hyorin’s room, head resting on her lap. Slowly, he got up and found Ken and Ravi were also getting up.

“Crap,” N cursed, “we’re back.”

“I noticed.”

All three turned to find Rina standing in the doorway looking worried.

“The serpent pulled us in,” N explained, answering the question he knew the half demon wanted to ask, “It needed us in there to help Hyorin.”

“Shadow, right?” Rina frowned, “I was worried that might be the case.”

“Is there any way for us to return?” Ken asked.

“No,” Rina shock her head, “but she has Leo, Hongbin, and Hyuk with her. She’ll be fine.”

“Ravi,” N growled, turning to face his brother, “this is all your fault.”

“No it’s not!” Ravi yelled, “even if I had gone with the others, you two still would have ended up here.”

“But you would have been with Hyorin!” N shouted, “You could have helped protect her! But you didn’t listen and now you’re here.”

“N,” Ken called out, hoping that his oldest brother would calm down before he said something he couldn’t take back.

“If Hyorin dies,” N growled, glaring at Ravi, “it will be your fault.”

With that, N left. Rina sighed before leaving, saying something about looking for a way to help from the outside world. Ken left as well, promising that he would talk to N and get him to calm down. Ravi sighed before moving to sit beside Hyorin on the bed.

“Please be alright,” Ravi whispered, resting his head against Hyorin’s shoulder, “please come back to us.”

A/N: poor Ravi. Don’t worry, N doesn’t really mean it, he’s just really upset and worried. He’ll apologize when he comes around.