Leaving

Because I'm Hurting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My grandmother is sick. My mother, her daughter, is packing her bags and going to the countryside to visit her. My father decided to stay here and watch Sungjong and me. I feel sad that my mother’s leaving, but kind of happy at the same time. I feel like a horrible person thinking that, but it’s two weeks without any arguing, which in my mind translates to two weeks of peace.

 

I watched as she put on her shoes and then stand up straight again. She gave me a small smile and then pulled me into a hug. It was one of those moments were I saw her as the caring mother from before. “Bye, omma...” I mumbled. She patted my back and I pulled away. I watched as she opened the door and went outside. She fished out the car keys from her purse and then put her luggage in the trunk of her white car. I watched as she drove off without even a second glance. I watched as she left me, my father, and Sungjong in this place I was supposed to call “home.”

I closed the door behind me and Sungjong slung an arm around me. “The house already seems really quiet, huh?”

I nodded and leaned on him. We went to the living room and he made me sit down on the couch before turning the television on. I watched the drama playing on it for a few minutes in silence before I turned and asked, “Why did you come back?” I sounded rude, I know, but it the thought irked and hurt me. He would leave, come back, and leave again.

Sungjong’s didn’t expression didn’t change as he continued watching the drama. “Because I missed you. I felt the need to see you again...”

I bit my lip and then turned to the T.V. I pulled my legs up and curled them on the couch. Sungjong’s arm was still around me and I snuggled ev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter