Lonely

Because I'm Hurting
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was pretty lonely at home. Sunggyu was busy making phone calls, Sungjong was sleeping half the time, and my mother was hiding in her room. What made things better was that Myungsoo came by every day, sometimes bringing along friends. Once, Howon tagged along. It was the first time I had had a conversation with him, and he seemed very friendly. “I see why Hwayoung likes you,” I whispered to him. He had flushed a dark shade of pink and told me not to tell anyone. Whenever Myungsoo came, I didn’t feel lonely, I didn’t feel neglected. I loved that feeling.

 

“We’re what?” I asked, my eyes wide and my mouth open in disbelief.

Sunggyu let out a sigh and ran his fingers through his hair. “We’re moving, Mikyung-ah,” he repeated. He looked at me with a sad expression and put the phone in his hand down. “I’m sorry.”

“Stop joking. You’re not funny,” I snapped. I turned around in my wheelchair and wheeled myself to my room down the hall. Since I had to move around in the wheelchair, Sunggyu and my mother had taken the liberty to move my stuff downstairs to the extra room. It was mostly Sunggyu who did it, but my mother helped a bit when she felt better.

Just as I was about to slam the door close behind me, I felt someone hold it open. “Mikyung, I’m serious.”

I turned and glared at my brother. “Why? Why do we have to leave! There’s nothing wrong here! I’m doing fine!”

“Omma doesn’t want to stay here anymore. She said that it’s too hard for her. And plus, in America, they have places that are wheelchair assessable, you can move around easier. Don’t you want that?” he asked. I clenched my hands into a fist in my lap.

“America? Why do we have to move to America! We’re fine here. Why does everything have to be about you and omma? Why can’t it be about me sometimes? I don’t think I’m that selfish!” My voice had turned from quiet to yelling now. Sungjong hobbled in from the living room and put a hand on Sunggyu’s shoulder to steady himself.

“What’s happening?” he asked.

“Get out,” I snapped. I turned myself around and faced the wall.

“Mikyung, you have to be sensible. It’s too-“

“Get out!” I yelled. I felt tears pricking at my eyes and I knew they were threatening to spill over.  

“What’s happening?” I heard Sungjong ask quietly.

“I’ll tell you out there,” Sunggyu mumbled. I heard the door click closed a few seconds later. That’s when the tears dropped.

 

8:41 pm Mikyung: Myungsoo...

8:41 pm Myungsoo: Yea?

8:42 pm Mikyung: I have something to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter