The Girl Standing in the Blush of Dawn

It’s Your Fault For Getting Adopted!

Act 1

It was another ordinary day at the palace, all was well. Servants were busy, scurrying from one building to another. The generals worked hard in their magnificently furnished offices. Messengers from all across the kingdom reported in and out from the grand entrance of the gates that surrounded the palace. Any outsiders would find it to be a truly exciting place, but for the princess, it was not. 

Sitting lazily in her study room, she rested her head on the large glossy table made with only the finest mahogany wood and gazed into the distance, unhappy and irritated. Her new silk gown was supposed to arrive at the palace in the morning, but it was well past midday and there was no sign of any deliveries.

Letting out a sigh of frustration, she gestured for her two servants to come over and demanded for them to check for the delivery, and if it still didn't arrive, she instructed, throw the owner of the shop in the deepest and darkest prisons. 

At the age of 16, the princess was already in power of many things. She could completely erase a village from the kingdom with a snap. Although many people at the palace praise her for her stunning beauty and intelligence, behind her back, people whisper about how spoiled, arrogant, and ignorant she was. 

When night arrived, the palace became strangely quiet, there were no sound of soldiers patrolling, no chatters from the maidservants. The princess was at her limit, she was tired of the palace, and all its shabby artworks and boring performances. She decided to go talk to her father, the king, and demand for some new, perhaps more interesting things she could have. 

"Your highness, where are you headed? It is late, you shouldn't be wandering around," Hyun-ki called out. He was a royal guard the king personally assigned to her.

The princess marched past the tall and fully armored male. "I'm going to my father's place. I have something very important I need to discuss with him. Get out of my way."

"But your highness, the king said no one can enter his chambers, he is having a very important discussion-"

"I know, with my uncle. But I need him right now. I'm sure father is fine with it," the princess snapped.

Hyun-ki frowned at the stubborn princess. 

"Do you wish to defy me?" The princess glared at her royal guard who immediately lowered his head. 

"No your highness, I wouldn't dare. But if you insist, I'll come along with you."

She smirked. "Very well, Hyun-ki. Lead the way."

 

Act 2

The princess looked around the confusion. The two usual guards that stood by the door of the king's chamber weren't here, but she couldn't care less. Taking wide strides toward the door, she knocked on the grand golden door that was tightly shut. Sounds of footsteps and disturbances followed after the knock.

She looked back at Hyun-ki in uncertainty and knocked again, calling his father's name as well. "Father! It's me, can you open up?"

A moment of silence followed. The princess was about to knock again before the armored guard pulled her back. 

"Hyun-Ki! What are you doing?" She called, trying to get free from the tall man's grip.

"Shush your highness," he replied in a whisper.

He became cautious of the room, because he sensed bloodlust. 

Without another word, Hyun-ki kicked the door open with such a force that sent the door flying backwards, broken from the frame.

"Hey! Hyun-ki, what..." She trailed off as she gazed into the room.

Eyes wide in absolute horror, a loud ear piercing shriek broke the peculiar silence in the palace. There it was, limp on the ground, lay the body of the king with a spear pierced through his chest. Blood stained the bold and patterned carpet. What frightened the princess even more was that beside the body stood her uncle with several other men. They had a wicked smile on their face. 

The princess burst into tears and rushed to her dead father on the ground. She shook violently and sobbed. With an overwhelming amount of grief in her voice, she turned to her uncle who seemed tall above her. "Uncle, what happened? Please hurry and get the imperial doctor!"

Her trusted relative smiled coldly at her. "Kill the princess, no one shall find out."

The other armed men dashed toward the princess with the intent to kill. She watched in horror, unable to do anything to defend herself. When the razor sharp blade was inches away from her neck, a strong hand wrapped around her waist and pulled her back. 

"Princess, run!" Hyun-ki yelled as he fought with the other men. He skillfully slashed and kicked, defeating the bad men. The princess gazed around in horror and stumbled out of the king's chamber. He lifted her dress up to her knee and ran as fast as her weak and tender legs can take her. 

Darkness had enveloped the gardens and roads inside the palace. Breathless, the princess decided to rest for a while under a tall willow tree surrounded by dense flowers and bushes that concealed her location. Being cared in the safeness of the palace for her entire life, the princess's delicate heart couldn't withtand all that she witnessed. Uncontrollably, tears streamed down her cheeks. She sobbed and sobbed until a distant shadow startled her. 

She immediately looked up and wiped her face with the back of her hand. The figure approached stealthily like a cat. The princess froze on the spot and trembled in fear.

"Your highness, it's me, Hyun-ki," the males whispered and took the princess by the wrist. 

She gripped onto her arm tightly but pulled back when she noticed the blood stains on his armoured clothing. "What happened? Are you hurt?" She questioned, breath shaky.

"No, it's not my blood. Your highness, we don't have much time left, I need to get you out of here!" 

The girl gazed at him in confusion. "But I need to report to the guards! I need to tell general-"

He interrupted her and dragged her across the garden. "You can't. Your uncle has bought through the entire palace. Even if the generals want to help you, they can't because they are threatened. I am positive that your uncle had somehow taken control over the army as well. He'll want to kill you and shut you up, we have to leave!" 

Hyun-ki led the princess through the palace, avoiding the guards that was on the lookout for them. Finally, they stopped in front of the palace couturier's place and the small shacks where the weavers slept for the night. Still dragging the princess by her arm, he knocked on the door on one shack. Immediately, the door was opened by a young sickly looking girl. 

As soon as the young weaver saw the princess, she dropped to her knees. "Please forgive me, your royal highness! I didn't know you were visiting, I'm sorry for the poor conditions."

The princess was still traumatized by what had happened before. "I-it's alright."

"We have no time to speak. Give your spare clothes to the princess right now, and keep your mouth shout if anyone asks about us," Hyun-ki commanded.

The girl immediately left to get some rough clothing. The princess then changed out of her elegant dress into the grey patched clothing. The weaver apologized again and again for the low quality of her clothes. Hyun-ki didn't say anything but took the princess away as soon as she finished changing. 

The palace had never felt so big to the princess in her entire life. Especially when she had to jog through it in the darkness, with danger lurking around every corner. When the two had made their way across the palace near the east gate, Hyun-ki slowed down. 

"Your highness..." He seemed a bit breathless as he spoke. "When we get there, I will open the gate and I want you to run out with all your strength. Don't worry about me, I need to keep your uncle's men far away from you. Outside, there should be large stacks of hay near the horse barn. If anything occurs, hide in the stacks of hay and keep yourself safe."

"Hyun-ki, I can't leave without you. Especially after you've done so much for me."

He smiled at her. "Don't worry about me your highness, I'll be right behind you. You know how tough I am."

As the two followed the plan and headed for the east gate, things went horribly wrong. When they arrived at the gate, Hyun-ki proceeded to open the gate, only to be interrupted with the sound of yelling from the distance.

"I see them! They are at the gate!" 

The princess jumped and gazed at Hyun-ki who cursed under his breath and shoved the fate open with a growl. The gate was opened just enough for the tiny princess to squeeze through. When the princess was on the other side, she looked back and called Hyun-ki to come over. 

"Don't wait for me, run!" The royal guard yelled. But he suddenly froze and the look of pain flashed across his eyes. He coughed, blood dripped to the ground. 

The princess's eyes widened in horror. "Hyun-ki!"

"Run," he growled from the other side of the gate before shutting it tightly. The lock clicked and the wooden cane was set into place and secure the door. 

She realized what had happened. Holding back her tears, the princess dashed away toward the barn in the distance. She hated herself for being to ignorant about Hyun-ki and even more about escaping alone. Hyun-ki was hurt, and there was no way he could have ever made it out alive. 

 

Act 3

Resting in the barn was rough. The princess had never imagined herself to be in such a poor state. Everything she treasured, everything she owned, was taken from her overnight. She didn't understand why her uncle would do such a cruel thing like this. She barely had any shut eyes, her mind was boggy, and she had almost lost the will the live. 

Tossing and turning in the cold, hard bed of hay, she decided that it was time for her to get up. The princess stretched her sore limbs and exited the barn. The sky was dim. Other than the small path that led to the palace, golden wheat fields surrounded her. She had never realized how vast the land was and how pretty the scenery was.

The first ray of sunlight shone to the field. The golden rays of the sun peaked from the horizon line, staining the blue sky with it's rich and warm colors. The princess gazed out at the endless land that stretched in all directions and felt her heart slowly begin to mend its shattered pieces back together. She wanted to become stronger, she needed to. She couldn't let her father and Hyun-ki down. 

The blush of dawn, true beauty.

 

The audiences roared and clapped as the deep red curtains closed. Everyone around me silently cheered. I let out a sigh of relief and straightened my costume which was basically a piece of rag. Sehun walked over to me from back stage, with the fake blood stain still on his chin.

"You did amazing, Mi-hyun!" He called out and gave me a highfive.

I smiled and grasped his hand. "Oh my gosh I can't believe we did it! That was amazing dude!"

Sehun pinched my cheeks. "Aish, don't call me dude. There are other sweet names." He paused for a moment to think. "How about oppa, start calling me oppa, okay?" 

"What? Oppa?" I gave him a questioning look. He nodded with a grin. "S-Sehun oppa?" That phrase was distant as it rolled out of my tongue.

Sehun's grin was even wider now. "Say it louder, I didn't hear you."

Heat rose to my cheeks, I looked away from him. "Go away dude," I exclaimed, completely flustered.

"Alright, great job guys! Good work for today. The next show will be 4:00. Please arrive here by 3:30. You guys have free time now. Have fun!" The class president shouted across the room and waved us off. 

Everyone went to change out of their costumes. When I was changed into my normal clothes, I met up with Sehun outside of the change room. Together, we headed for Luhan's class room, B-204. 

Walking through the school, we saw many interesting things other classes were doing. But when we arrived in front of Luhan's classroom, I was surprised to see how well they had decorated. A fancy sign hung by their class door and the door was wide open, showing off the cute and classy cafe inside. The desks were replaced with little tea tables and comfortable sofas. There weren't many customers yet, but some students sat around and chatted while sipping tea.

What caught my eye was the servers that walked around, holding trays of dessert in their arms. The boys were all formally dressed in suits with a red bow. Their hair were gelled up and all of them looked fresh. The girls were dressed in cute black and white dresses and they collected money and tips from the customers. 

Amongst all the people there, Luhan immediately caught my eyes, because of his outstanding pink hair as well as his angellic looks. Sehun and I entered the room and he noticed us. At the moment, Luhan was serving a customer. He took the cup and cutleries and placed them on his tray before bowing to the customer. Sehun and I chuckled, earning a glare from my brother. 

"Thank you, your class is really nice," the customer said.

With a smile plastered to his face, Luhan nodded. "Thank you for coming."

When his work was all finished, he put away his tray and came to us. "Hey, you guys are finally done, how did the play go?" 

Sehun and I exchanged a glance and burst out laughing. "Go get us some water, peasant," Sehun said through his laughter.

I nodded along. "Luhan, I swear you are made to become a waiter! Haha, you are perfect at serving people."

Luhan rolled his eyes in annoyance and straightened his tie. "Shut up you two, I didn't decide to be a slave to strangers. Now that you guys are here, let's go. It's about time I get a break. There aren't many customers yet."

"Okay, let's go." I nodded before eyeing him from head to toe. "Lulu, you actually look really good."

An arrogant smile hung on his lips. "Of course I do. I'm the amazing and handsome man you should fall in love with."

It was Sehun's turn to get annoyed. "Can't you be a bit more modest and get some common sense. We are dating now, period."

"Who knows when you'll break Mi-hyun's heart. When that happens, I'll be there for her," Luhan muttered and glared at my boyfriend.

I felt tension grow in the air in between the two boys. I took them both by the hand and dragged them down the hallway. "Alright you two, stop it. You are making things really awkward me..." Things had always been awkward, but it was now that I realized how strange our relationships were. It suddenly occurred to me that if this keeps up, someone was bound to get hurt. 

I shook my head to clear my thoughts. The two boys were still bickering as I dragged them on. "Let's head to Mina's class now, hurry up!"


 

A/N: Oh my gosh I have been watching so much anime lately it's not even funny. The events of this chapter was inspired by Akatsuki no Yona as well as Kimi Ni Todoke. Thank you for reading :)