Separation

It’s Your Fault For Getting Adopted!

Two days passed after Sehun and I became a thing. School had once again started on Monday, which I dreaded. I never told Luhan about the newly developed relationship between Sehun and I yet. I had a feeling my brother wouldn't be too happy.

Early in the morning, I was snuggling in my warm blanket on my comfortable bed. I was still dead asleep. Suddenly, someone nudged my shoulder. I forced my eyes open and found Luhan standing by the bed. 

"What do you want?" I mumbled in annoyance as I wanted to sleep more.

Luhan reached out and patted my forehead. "Get up, your mom already made breakfast." 

I pushed his hand away and struggled to look at my clock. "It's still too early for me to get up. Go away, I'm tired..." I trailed off as I slowly drifted asleep again.

My brother sighed before ripping away my blanket, exposing my body to the cool air in the room. I gasped and remembered that I wasn't wearing any pants, only an oversized t-shirt. I immediately sat up and sighed in relief as I saw my T-shirt was long enough to cover my underwear.

"Dude, don't do that!" I exclaimed and pulled my blanket over to cover myself. That idiotic boy chuckled and left the room. He had successfully woke me up. I groaned and stood up from the bed to wash up and get dressed.

When I was all ready to go, I went downstairs. My mother was in the kitchen, and there were already plates of food on the table. I went up and took out three glasses and poured some milk. Soon, my mom, Luhan, and I sat down to eat.

"Mom, why are we up so early today?" I asked as I looked at the clock. We were half an hour earlier than when we were usually eating. 

My mom looked at Luhan first before talking to me. "I have some business to take care of at your school today," she answered rather simply.

I shot them a questioning look. "Does this have to do with Luhan's documents and passport issues from Saturday?" My family was away on Saturday morning, they told me they had to go somewhere for Luhan's documentation and other things. I didn't attend because I didn't know about it, and also because I went to the restaurant where Sehun proposed to me.

Luhan nodded. "Yes, we need something from the school so that's why we are leaving early this morning."

I shrugged. "Okay, I see."

 

When we arrived at the front entrance of our high school, my mother went to park her car. Luhan and I got off and started to walk in. It was still early, there weren't many students on the campus.

After my mom came to find us, Luhan took her to the office and left me completely alone. I didn't know what I should do since I came here so early. I decided to go put my things away in my locker and head to class.

I walked into my classroom and found my homeroom teacher at her desk, placing a stack of paper on the table. I quickly greeted her and she greeted back before leaving the room. I sat down at my seat and looked around in boredom. There were no one else here yet. I took out my phone and tried my best to entertain myself from the small device.

Time passed by slowly, and students began to spill into the quiet and peaceful classroom. Suddenly, someone ruffled my hair, I looked back to find Sehun staring at me with a sweet smile. 

"Good morning baby," he said and I made a face.

"Baby? What even?" I questioned through my laughter.

My boyfriend faked a hurt look on his flawless face. "But we are dating, aren't we?" 

I rolled my eyes at Sehun's words. "I never knew you could act like this," I replied and giggled. "Please be normal, okay?"

"I was just trying to show my affection towards you. Learn to accept your boyfriend's love, okay?" He argued and winked at me. 

It was so strange, my heart pounded as I sat next to this boy. We talked more before school started. Sehun told me about how nervous he had been on Valentine's day. I joked around about how I would yell at Mina for setting me up like that. Things didn't change that much between us after we became a thing, which was a great relief to me. I hoped everything could stay like this forever.

 

Sehun walked with me after class ended. Students filled the hall way and we walked amongst the current. The two of us headed for the cafeteria where we would meet up with Mina and Luhan. 

We bumped into Mina before we arrived at the cafeteria. As soon as she spotted us down the hallway, her eyes lit up and a wicked smile spread on her face. The cheerful girl and ran up to us and looked at us in awe. 

"Oh my gosh you two look so cute together like it's not even funny!" She exclaimed and wrapped her arm around me. "I can't believe the two of you are dating now! Ha ha I knew this would happen someday."

Sehun rubbed the back of his neck and smiled shyly at her words.

I smiled. "Well, it's thanks to a certain group of people for making this possible."

Mina began her inquiries as we walked together. "So, have the two of you kissed yet?" She asked me first and turned to Sehun. "How did Mi-hyun react when you asked her out?"

Sehun chuckled. "Well, Mi-hyun was surprisingly calm for sure, but she still blushed so much. She was adorable and I could see how shocked she was when I asked her out." I playfully punched him for his answer.

Mina nodded along and laughed. She once again turned to me. "So," she began in a funny high pitched voice, "have the two of you kissed?" 

I shook my head. "No, not yet."

"But I would like to as soon as possible," Sehun said, earning another playful punch from me.

"Mi-hyun, no need to be mean to your boyfriend. It's only natural for couples wanting to do that, especially for guys going through puberty," Mina said Sehun immediately denied it by shaking his head furiously. It was so funny to see Sehun like this. Ha ha, guy going through puberty, that sounded about right.

I turned to Mina again. "So, have you and Kai kissed yet?" 

"Of course! I mean, he goes down on me every time we see each other," Mina answered, making my jaws drop.

"Are you serious?" Sehun and I asked in unison. 

Mina burst out laughing, earning some glances from students passing by, "No, I am kidding! Ha ha, I'm not ually active okay!" She said and paused. "But we do have some pretty intense make out sessions."

Sehun laughed. "Of course, you are dating Kai." Out of all of our friends, Kai was known for his dirty mind and naughty jokes. I swear he was even more worse than Luhan.

"But seriously," Mina said. "You two are dating, it's fine for you to kiss."

Sehun and I shared a glance, but for some reason, I couldn't hold his gaze for long. I turned away and laughed. Before I could say anything, someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned around to find Luhan walking behind us, looking at me strangely.

The smile on my face immediately went away. I hadn't told Luhan about it yet, and I didn'te prepare myself to. 

"What were you guys saying?" Luhan questioned, his big eyes sparkling.

"I was just saying how Sehun and Mi-hyun should kiss," Mina chirped, not aware of the changing mood in the group.

Luhan just stared at her, with a questioning look.

Sehun stepped up. "Is there anything wrong with couples kissing?"

I felt the corners of my lip curl down and took Luhan by the hand. Leaving Sehun and Mina behind, I led him to a quiet area with less people. The caferteria wasn't too far away, but I decided to stay here and sort things out.

I turned to Luhan and faced him. "I'm sorry for not telling you earlier. I just didn't know how to tell you that-"

"You are dating Sehun now?" Luhan filled in the blanks for me.

I stared at him and nodded. His mouth half opened as if he was about to say something, but he didn't. I took a deep breath and exhaled. "Luhan, I'm sorry, please don't bear a grudge against me. Sehun asked me out on Valentine's day, and I accepted. Please don't be sad or angry, I know you have the right to be, but, I..." I didn't know what to say.

"Congratulations. Sehun is a very nice guy, I'm sure he'll take great care of you," Luhan exclaimed and beamed a bright smile. "I wish you the best, honestly."

His response scared me, yet at the same time, made me a little disappointed. He didn't show any signs of sadness or anger, but when I looked closely into his eyes, there were no other emotions either. "Luhan..."

"Let's go to the cafeteria, Mina and Sehun are waiting for us," he quickly said. Before I could do anything else, he started walking away. 

As the two of us walked down the hall, Luhan didn't turn back to look at me, or even talk to me. We were silent. Although Luhan responded with a positive altitudes, I could feel the sadness lingering around my brother. Inside my heart, I felt bad and a little bit guilty. However, there was no reason for me to be. The two of us couldn't be anything else but siblings.

When we arrived in the crowded cafeteria, I immediately spotted Mina waving to me like a crazy person. I wanted to smile to her, but I couldn't, not with Luhan being depressed beside me. I walked up to the cheerful girl.

"Sorry for taking so long," I apologized and took my seat, so did Luhan. 

"Did you sort things out?" Mina questioned in a whisper. I nodded and sighed. "It didn't go well?" My best friend asked after seeing my expression. 

"It went well, a little too well. But nothing really matters, Luhan is sad now," I explained, earning a glance from Sehun who sat across from me. 

Luhan, who sat beside Sehun, turned to him. "Sehun," he said and placed a hand on the other boy's shoulder. "I heard about everything from Mi-hyun. I am very happy for you guys. I know she'll be happy with you," he said with a smile. 

Sehun looked at him for a moment. "Thank you."

Luhan chuckled dryly and shut his eyes. "For some reason, I feel defeated," he said to Sehun who seemed to be pitying him. 

 

After school ended, Luhan and I took the bus like usual and headed home. We did our homework and hung around the house. When my parents came home, my mom went to cook dinner and my dad had some more work to finish. Luhan was being awfully silent for the night, which worried me.

During dinner, my father asked us how school was going, and if the homework was difficult. My mother didn't say much except just smile and nod at us. The entire atmosphere of the house was strange. Luhan picked at his food and didn't eat much.

I put my plates in the sink when I finished my food. I was excused from the table afterwards. I walked away from the dining room and proceeded to go upstairs. However, before I was about to enter my room, Luhan called me.

The boy was standing at the bottom of the stairs, he didn't look too well. 

"Mi-hyun, are you busy right now?" Luhan questioned from below. 

I shook my head. "No. You should eat more. I was watching you, and you barely even touched your food. If you want to grow, then eat," I said with a smile on my face, hoping to cheer him up.

"I'm full," he said and stared at me.

"Okay, suit yourself," I replied. "So, what business do you have with me?"

"Can I ask you a question?" Luhan asked. "I am honestly so lost. I don't understand..."

I looked at him carefully. "What is it?"

Luhan paused for a moment as he stared into my eyes. "Mi-hyun, what did I do wrong?"

"What?"

His eyes sparkled. "What did I do wrong? I tried my best to get close to you, to make you see me as a boy whom you might fall in love with. I tried so hard to make your heart pound around me, I really want something to spark between us. But nothing works." I noticed the corner of his mouth quiver a little. "You try to take care of me, I appreciate it, I really do. But you still regard me like a little brother. Why don't you feel the same towards me like how I feel towards you? Mi-hyun, I love you."

Listening to Luhan's words, a bitter feeling surfaced in my heart. I felt sad and troubled. Luhan's question did get to me though. Why couldn't I love him? I thought about it. After a minute of silence, the reason became clear to me.

"Luhan, I can't feel that way towards you is because I won't let myself. I still can't let myself. The thought of falling for you is just too taboo for me. We are living together and titled siblings," I said and my voice grew weaker. 

As I looked at him, I realized how vulnerable Luhan was. His gaze still remained on me. "Why? We aren't blood related..."

"I, I just can't... I am dating Sehun now."

Luhan's expression turned painful. His hands were tightly gripped and he bit his lower lip. "I can't believe you chose Sehun over me..." he said under his breath. "What is my fault?"

"It's your fault for being my brother, it's your fault for living with me..." I trailed off. Tears were forming in my eyes. I swallowed and quickly wiped my eyes. "It's your fault for getting adopted."

That moment, Luhan looked absolutely heart broken. He stood there with almost a dazed looked. I felt my chest heave up and down. I couldn't bare to speak with him anymore. 

Turning away, I went into my room and quickly shut the door behind me. Tears uncontrollably rolled out from my eyes, it streamed down my cheeks as I tried to stop my sobs from coming out. Why was I so sad? 

I didn't want to think about anything, not about myself, not about Luhan.

Little did I know, my world was shattering.