Exam Time

It’s Your Fault For Getting Adopted!

"Alright, and that is the lesson for today, before I dismiss you guys, I have to remind you about the final exams coming up next week. This will be the year end exam so it's very important. Please remember to study all your notes and write the essay topic I assigned today. Now, you can get ready to leave," the English teacher finally finished.

I couldn't believe the exams were next week, FREAKING NEXT WEEK! Gosh, I was so not prepared. All my other subjects were okay, but English though... I didn't understand the new conjunction we just learned... Well, that was what the practice questions were for, right?

After the bell rang, everyone dashed out of the classroom as soon as they could. I, too, followed. Walking down the hallway with Mina, we complained about the exams and about the homework.

"Who created this system of education? God, can't we just have some time to relax?" Mina exclaimed.

"Well, I'd say that we are pretty relaxed. But Mina, it's the exams, we HAVE to study hard. Oh, that reminds me, do you want to study together after school today? I need help with English," I asked.

Mina put her hand together apologetically. "Sorry Mi-hyun, I have to visit my uncle's. Maybe tomorrow?" she suggested.

"Sure, but I am screwed on my homework though..." I sighed in frustration.

"Well, ask Luhan to help, where is he anyways?" Mina asked as she looked around for my idiotic brother.

"Luhan? He caught the flu so he is no hope, I have to teach him once I learn it myself," I replied.

Mina nodded. "I see, if he was here, he would be following you around the whole time," she said and chuckled.

"Yeah... Now I seriously need to find someone to study with," I sighed.

A grin surfaced on my best friend's face. "How about Sehun, I'm sure he can teach you," she suggested. I blushed upon hearing Sehun's name.

I was a bit surprised at the thought of studying with Sehun, but I shook my head after considering the possibilities. "Maybe... But what if he doesn't want to study with me?" I asked unsurely. Mina just simply giggled and hopped away, waving me goodbye.

"Mina?" I called out after her, but she disappeared into the crowd of students, leaving me alone. I shook my head in disbelief and turned to leave, but before I had the time to realized what was happening, I already knocked someone’s text book on the ground.

I quickly reached down to pick up the book I accidentally knocked down. "I'm sorry!" I quickly apologized and moved back from the person I just bumped into.

"It okay, Mi-hyun," a familiar angelic voice replied. I looked up and found myself staring at Sehun's flawless face. I quickly looked away and felt my heart pounding inside my chest as I handed his books back to him.

Sehun took the book from me and thanked me. "So, are you ready for the exam?" He asked, smiling slightly.

I sighed and made a face. "Not really, I just don't understand anything in English class..." I responded.

"Oh really? If you have any questions about English, I could help you," he offered kindly.

My eyes brightened up, at the same time, my heart began to pound uncontrollably. "Really? I actually have a lot of questions," I said and looked at him sheepishly.

Sehun chuckled. "Then why don't we study together today? You can come over to my house. My parents aren't home today, but the housekeeper is there."

"Are you sure? I don't want to be a bother," I asked, unable to believe my ears, Sehun was asking me to come over! Gosh, I think I'm going to faint...

"You are not a bother, I like hanging out with you," he replied.

I was so happy that moment. It was great to know that my crush didn't dislike me. Although my heart was beating so strongly in my chest, I stay calm and cool on the outside. "Okay, I'll call Luhan to tell him I'll be home late," I said and took out my phone.

"Alright, I'll wait by the school gates."

I waved and watched Sehun walk away. I quickly dialed Luhan's number and waited for him to pick up.

"Hello?" Luhan's answered weakly.

I felt terrible for my brother, I wanted to go home and see him, but passing the test was my number one priority right now. "It's Mi-hyun. I'm just calling to tell you that I'll be home late today, don't forget to drink water and rest well."

"Late? Where are you going?" Luhan asked.

"Studying at a friend's house, got to go now, bye!"

"Whose house?" He questioned.

"A friend, now I have to go!" I said and ended the call.

Gosh, I am so excited! Sehun's house, I'm in heaven... After putting my phone in my bag, I raced out the door to the school gates. Looking around, I spotted Sehun standing by the gates like me promised, but with three other boys. Crap, why were they here?

"Mi-hyun!" Sehun called out, the other three boys waved.

I looked at the other three who stood next to him. "Um, are they coming with us?" I asked, and begged in my mind for him to say no.

"Yep," Sehun said with a grin. "We're going to study together, Suho is actually pretty decent at English," he replied.

.

"Hello!" Baekhyun smiled brightly.

Suho waved next. "Hello!"

"Hi," I replied to both of them,

Kai walked up and placed an arm around my shoulder. "Studying with a pretty girl like Mi-hyun is going to be so much fun," he said and winked at me. As soon as he did that, I didn't feel like going anymore.

"Can I quit? How can I focus when he is around?" I complained and pointed at the y boy.

"Kai, shut your mouth and keep your arm off Mi-hyun," Sehun lectured and smacked Kai's head, then he turned back to me, "Sorry about that, I'm sure he won't bother you." Kai was about to rebuttal when Sehun shot him a death glare which immediately shut that idiot up. "Come on Mi-hyun, it'll going to be fine," Sehun said in a pleading manner.

"Alright, alright," I said after a second of consideration. No matter how annoying Kai was, spending time with Sehun was always great.

 

Walking down the busy street, the five of us laughed and chatted. On the way to the bus stop, Sehun wanted to get bubble tea so we all went to the bubble tea store. It was adorable how Sehun liked to drink bubble tea!

The bubble tea store we headed to was cute and small. The exterior of the store was painted in light colors and the sign was decorated with cute little things. I've passed by this place a few times in the past, but I had never really bought anything from here before.

The bell rang as we pushed the shop door open. "Welcome," a cute feminine voice greeted.

Of course, Kai immediately responded and started to flirt with the cute girl who worked here.  The rest of us pretended we didn't know him and proceeded to pick our flavor.

"Me and Baekhyun will take green tea flavor," Suho said.

I looked at the menu the handed out and I was puzzled the moment I opened it. There were so many flavors on the list, and so many different combinations of slush, smoothies, and jellies. "I'll get Mango," I said after I scanned through the choices.

"You're getting mango? Then I'll get chocolate," Sehun said and turned towards Kai who was still bothering the poor girl. I could tell she was desperately trying to get away from him, but Kai had fun bothering her. "Jong-in hyung, what flavor do you want?" he said loudly and used his real name for Kai to hear.

"I'll have honeydew!" Kai responded, too busy to look back at Sehun who shook his head in disbelief.

 

Being such a good mom, Suho paid for all of us with his credit card. We all thanked the elder and exited the store with the colorful bubble teas in hand.

Walking down the sidewalk, the boys exchanged their drinks to taste the other flavors. I watched them in amusement as they bickered and laughed.

"Stop it, I said only a sip!" Baekhyun complained as Kai began to chug down his bubble tea. Suddenly, Kai started coughing like mad as he choked on a tapioca pearl. Suho watched the two and laughed while Sehun made sure Kai was okay.

Finally, we arrived at the bus stop after a long time of fooling around. The bus came a minute after and the five of us boarded the vehicle. There weren't many people on the bus, so the seats were mostly empty.

I picked a window seat near the back and Sehun followed, he sat down beside me. I looked at him and he smiled. My heart pounded as I noticed how close we were, our shoulders were touching and our knees knocked against each other. I quickly moved closer to the window and look away from him to hide my burning face. The three other boys sat behind us, laughing.

I took tiny sips of my drink and looked out the window at the busy streets and the busy people.  

"You're so slow, Mi-hyun," Sehun suddenly said as he pointed to the half full container in my hand.

I smiled and shrugged. "I didn't chug mine like some people did." It was true. When we were waiting at the bus stop, the boys had a competition to see who could finish the whole cup of bubble tea first.

"You should have joined too, it was fun," Sehun said and laughed.

"Heck no, I want to savor the delicious drink a little longer," I said.

Sehun looked at me before gesturing to the bubble tea. "Can I have a sip?"

I stopped for a second. Did he just ask if he can drink my bubble tea? "Umm, sure, if you want," I said.

Taking the container from my hand, Sehun placed his lips over the blue straw I drank from. He took a big sip and chewed on the tapioca pearl. "Thank you, mango flavor is pretty good eh?" He said after drinking and handed the cup back to me. I glanced at the straw which he had just put his mouth around and slowly brought it up to my lips. I took a sip from it and chewed the squishy tapioca pearls in my mouth.

Sehun poked me. "That was an indirect kiss, wasn't it?" He asked with a teasing smile curled on his lips.

I blushed madly at his words. What was he saying?

The boy chuckled at my expression. "You're so cute," he said.

I looked away, completely dazed. I didn't know how to respond.

Suddenly, a hand snatched my bubble tea away from me. I turned around and found Kai grinning at me. With no hesitation at all, he drank from the straw Sehun and I had shared.

"Now it's an indirect kiss between the three of us!" He said through laughter. Sehun's mouth dropped as I face palmed myself.

THIS IDIOT!                                                     

 

After a long ride, we finally arrived at Sehun's house. I just couldn't stop getting amazed by it. How rich was Sehun's parents? We walked into the yard and up the front porch. Sehun took out his keys and unlocked the door. His house seemed different from the last time I was here. It seemed more elegant and serious this time compared to the party state from before.

"Let's go to my room, I'll ask the housekeeper to bring some snacks," Sehun said and led the way. After passing by a couple of rooms, we stopped in front of the master bedroom. On the room door, there was a sign that said 'Hunnie's room'.

I studied that sign before turning to Sehun. "This is your room?" I giggled as I pointed to the sign.

Everyone else laughed too and looked at Sehun. The embarrassed boy scratched his neck awkwardly and replied, "My grandmother really liked this sign."

"That's sweet," I said and smiled at Sehun who returned a smile.

Once we walked in, I looked around carefully. His room was fairly clean, with only a few shirts lying on the bed and jeans on a chair. Sehun quickly ran over and picked his clothing up before shoving them in his closet. The trio laughed at his behavior. It was pretty cute to see him care so much.

"Sehun, are you sure this is your room?" I questioned as I gazed at the king sized bed and the separate washroom.

He nodded. "Yep, why do you ask?"

"It's unusual to see the kid living in the master bedroom. I thought your parents should stay here," I said.

"It's different with my family. My dad is always away on oversea business trips, and my mother just moved far away to work. Now the house is mostly empty with only my housekeeper and I," Sehun explained.

It was pretty shocking to hear something like that. "Wow, I didn't know about it..."

We studied for the exam and did our homework, although the other three boys didn’t go to the same school as Sehun and I, they still helped. Suho and Sehun explained the English conjunctions to me while Baekhyun and Kai chatted with each other. Suho was a great English teacher, he really helped a lot. By 7:00 pm, we pretty much completed our work and finished studying.

"Would you guys like to stay for dinner?" Sehun invited.

"Sure, we've got nothing to do," Kai answered for the three boys.

Sehun turned to me next. "How about you, Mi-hyun?" He asked.

"Nah, I should get home to see how Luhan's doing, he is pretty sick, plus I have to teach him what I learned today," I replied.

"Oh, okay then, want my house keeper to drive you? I'll come along," Sehun offered.

"That would be great, thank you!"

Just like that, I ended up in the back seats of the car with Sehun. I was driven home before 8:00 thanks to Sehun's house keeper who was a very nice old lady.

"See you tomorrow," I waved and bid Sehun goodbye. Then the car drove off down the street. I walked up the front porch and unlocked the door with my key.

As I walked inside, I placed my bag down on the ground before proceeding to take off my shoes. When I put everything away, I called out to my sick brother. "Luhan, I am home!" I yelled, waiting for a response.

Luhan walked out from his room, his hair was a bit messy and he had bags under his large innocent eyes. "Hey Mi-hyun, how was school?" He asked as he rubbed his eyes and stretched.

"Did you not get enough rest?" I asked worriedly.

Luhan shrugged. "I was studying for the exam at home. I see you had fun with Sehun after school?" he said, gazing at me with his suddenly sparkling eyes.

"Oh, you saw? I was studying for English with him, I had some questions," I replied.

"Oh okay," he said simply. Although his face didn't show it, but I could tell he was a bit unhappy...

I walked up to him and ruffled his hair. "Well, now that I understand, I can teach you."

"Alright, teach me now," he commanded with a smile across his face.

We sat by the desk in his room. I taught him what I learned today, and he listened. We both learned together for the rest of the night before my parents came home with pizza for a late dinner.

 

~~~~

 

Two weeks passed after the exam. Today was the day when the exam results were coming out. I was looking forward to see it. I had a feeling that I did well since I studied pretty hard for it.

The paper of the results was posted on the bulletin board. But by the time I arrived, there were already many students surrounding it. Everyone was eager to see how they did on the final exam.

I pushed through the crowd of people and finally got a closer look. Searching for my name, I found myself at the front of the list, 5th place to be exact. I did way better than I expected and I cheered happily in my head. Then, my gaze moved up, my mouth dropped as I stood there, shocked.

Sehun was ranked second, but he was never second, he was always the best at exams. I looked up a little more, and there it was, highest mark in this whole grade, Luhan.