The Truth

It’s Your Fault For Getting Adopted!

My boyfriend and I sat on the purple fluffy grass as we gazed into the green sky. A cool breeze made the long strands of willow branches sway. The two of us held hands and enjoyed the calm and peacefulness of nature. 

"How many kids should we have in the future?" I asked and leaned on his shoulders.

The pink haired boy smiled. "I think two would be good, a boy and a girl. I'm sure the girl will grow up to be as beautiful as you, Mi-hyun."

I giggled and snuggled against him. "And the boy would be very handsome, just like his father."

He kissed my cheek and left a trail of tender kisses down my neck. When he stopped, he looked into my eyes. "But princess, I don't think we will ever have children.

My eyes widened in horror as I stared at Luhan's crying face.

 

I jerked up from my bed and felt relieved when I realized that it was only a dream. But when I thought back to it, chills ran down my back. It all seemed so real, his soft touch, and tender kisses. 

It was still dark, the street light outside of my window was bright. I took out my phone and opened it. Staring at the bright screen, it displayed the time of 4:06 am. Today was Sunday, which meant no school. 

My mind couldn't forget about the chilling dream I had. Perhaps the reason I had a dream like that was because of the changing atmosphere in my family. My parents came from work earlier than usual for the past week, they made delicious dinner, they talked to Luhan and I more, but it didn't make the family seem happier. Luhan, on the other hand, seemed to have something on his mind as well. He acted like himself, smiling and making jokes, but it was forced. 

I suddenly remembered about the mail from the traveling agency. Luhan couldn't really be going back to China, could he? But it wouldn't be weird for him to go visit, I mean it was his home country after all. 

My throat was getting dry. I got off my bed and left my room, heading downstairs to fetch myself a glass of water, and perhaps check on Luhan, because creeping to my brother's room at 4 in the morning is normal. 

The wooden stairs squeaked a little as I step down in the darkness, the only source of light was from a tiny night light at the end of the staircase. Downstairs, I gave myself the freedom to turn on the lights. Then, I went straight to the kitchen and poured a glass of water before drinking it and bringing my throat back to life. When I was done, I placed the glass in the sink and went to Luhan's room. His room door was open with a tiny crack. I peeked in, but it was too dark for me to see anything. I pushed the door open more and hesitantly walked in.

The crack of light from outside shined on his face. To my surprise, Luhan turned and twisted on his bed before opening his eyes to glance in my direction. I awkwardly waved and backed off. "Sorry, I didn't know I'd wake you up."

"Of course, I wouldn't wake up when someone turns on all the lights and enters my room without permission," Luhan mumbled before sitting up. 

I rolled my eyes. "Speak for yourself dude. I'm not the only one who always goes into other people's rooms without consent. Anyways, sleep well."

He stared at me with a strange expression. "Mi-hyun, I'll come out now."

I shot him a questioning look. "No, no, you can sleep, I'll go back to sleep too."

"It's alright, I have something to tell you... I've meant to tell you ever since Christmas..." Luhan trailed off.

Suddenly, the images from my dream came back. The image of Luhan's kisses almost made me trip as my face grew warm. Also, speaking of Christmas, the memories from that night also flooded into my mind. Perhaps it was because it was 4 am, but my emotions seemed to be heightened.

The two of us sat on the sofa at the living room, next to each other. I stared at him expectantly and waited for him to begin. But as if cat had got his tongue, he was silent. 

"What did you want to tell me?" I asked.

Luhan shifted in his seat uncomfortably before staring up at me with watery eyes. "Mi-hyun, I actually have a distant relative back in China who offered to take me home."

I froze, not wanting to comprehend him. "But of course you are staying here, right?" My brother didn't reply, he just covered his face and sighed loudly. Every single muscle in my body immediately tensed up. I held my breath, frightened by the silence. "Luhan, dude, seriously..." I trailed off, unable to bring myself to keep talking.

Finally, the boy opened his mouth to speak. His breath shook as the words came from his mouth. "I'm sorry Mi-hyun."

Everything happened too quickly. I was devastated, I couldn't believe my ears. My heart thudded in my chest, I couldn't breath. I shook my head at him. I felt the back of my nose get sore as I tried to hold my tears back. 

"Trust me, it's for the best..." Luhan's voice cracked as he spoke. He then pulled me into a tight hug. 

At first I didn't want to hug him back since it would prove reality, but I bit my lower lip and squeezed his tightly, burying my head into his shoulder. My tears uncontrollably leaked from my eyes. The hug was soft, passionate, and warm. I suddenly realized that I was not ready to let Luhan go.

I kept my head buried in the soft fabric of his pajamas near his neck and held onto him tightly. "When did all this happen?" I said, my voice weak and muffled. 

There was a pause before he proceeded to reply. "After Christmas."

His answer changed my sadness into anger and sense of betrayal. I couldn't believe he had never discussed this about matter with me. "You never told me until now?"

"Mi-hyun, I'm sorry... I thought you'd definitely agree to the decision I made. Look ahead into the future, I'm sure it's for the best," Luhan said calmly, too calm for my liking.

I broke away from him and wiped away my hot tears with the back of my hand. "I do not agree with you at all. Look ahead into the future? What future? A future where we can't be together anymore? Your decision is terrible. It is the worst! The worst, you hear?" I threw my words at him and sniffled. "Why are you deciding to leave? Is my family not good enough for you? I understand there may have been some drama going on before, but if I can forgive and forget, can't you?"

Luhan stared at me, wide eyed.

I was swollen with emotions by then, I couldn't control myself. "Luhan, it doesn't matter what happened, I am over it. I enjoy having you in my family, I don't want you to leave..." I trailed off, taking a deep breath before continuing to speak. "This is all too sudden... I don't think I can handle all this right now. Please, give me some time to calm myself. But Luhan, can you please stay?"

"Exactly."

His chuckle surprised me at first. I was puzzled by the situation. Here I was, practically screaming and sobbing at the same time in the middle of the night, but Luhan had a smile forming on his face.

"Wait, what?" I questioned in confusion.

"I'm glad to see how much you adore me," Luhan said with a grin. "I decided that I'm not going back to China, there's no way I can leave an adorable girl like you."

I collapsed onto the sofa, completely dazed by the current situation. "What was that mail from the traveling agency?" 

"Oh, that. I'm not too sure, maybe your parents are going somewhere?" Luhan replied and beamed a smile.

A wave of relief shot through me. I had never been so happy in my life. Luhan wasn't leaving, it was all just a scare. However, now that my head was more clear, I turned to my brother again. "Dude, you made me think you were going to leave on purpose, didn't you?"

Luhan smiled sheepishly. "Maybe? But it was nice to hug you and hear you say all that sweet stuff."

I playfully punched his arm. "Don't ever do that again! My heart couldn't handle all that distress, I swear you almost gave me a heart attack."

He laughed and once again pulled me into a hug, but he didn't stop then, the two of us tumbled down on the sofa. I lay on there, beside Luhan who squeezed close. We were packed together like a sandwich. I turned away from him and faced the sofa back while he faced the back of my head and wrapped an arm around my waist. Although our position was a tiny bit too intimate for my liking, I didn't say anything about it and just lay there, His warmth radiated around me.

Since it was still so early, around 4:30 am, I grew tired. Not long after, my eyelids grew heavy and I fell asleep, with Luhan next to me. I still recovering from the shock Luhan gave me, but I'm so glad he tricked me, and that he would be staying with me. 

It felt as if my brother just kept growing closer, was it a good thing or bad?