Summer Storm (Part 1)

It’s Your Fault For Getting Adopted!

A couple weeks passed after the Busan trip, school ended and summer was officially here!

This morning, my parents left home early for a long trip to my aunt's house in another town. It would take them about 6 hours of driving to get there, so they would be staying there for a night before coming back home. To be honest, I think my aunt might be the reason why our family adopted Luhan. I didn't know exactly what the relationship was between the two families, but my parents said having someone close was safer than being alone after they pass away.

Luhan and I would be left alone since my aunt was against the idea of adopting Luhan. My parents didn't want him to feel hurt in case my aunt says anything rude. Of course, if Luhan was staying at home, I would have to stay to accompany him and keep an eye on him. I was fully against the idea of being alone with my dirty minded brother for a night, but my parents insisted on me staying. Apparently, they believed that we were responsible kids and they trusted us very much.

"Bye mom, bye dad. Have a good trip, tell aunt and uncle I said hi!" I waved at them as they got into the car.

"Bye Mr and Mrs Rim," Luhan also waved.

"Bye kids, behave yourselves at home, don't let strangers in, stay safe! We'll give you a call once we arrive," My mom said from inside the car. My dad waved as well and started the engine.

We looked at them until the car took off. After they were out of sight, I felt Luhan's hand on my shoulder. "We are going to have lots of fun alone in the house, right Mi-hyun?" He said and grinned.

I eyed him weirdly and pushed his hand off. "I'm going to start doing my homework," I said and headed back in the house, he followed.

 

Laying all the paper work on my bed, I sighed at the sight of torture. Which one should I start doing first, Math, science or English? I took a stack full of paper and placed them on my desk. It's okay... I have two months of free time to finish this... I comforted myself.

Just when I was about to start on my English homework, Luhan busted into my room with a ringing phone in his hand.

"Mi-hyun, your phone rang!" He shouted.

"Give it to me, why do you have my phone in the first place?" I replied and snatched the device from his hand. Looking at the caller ID, I saw the name shown on the phone and almost died of happiness.

Luhan looked at me expectantly and I shooed him away. "Hello?" I said in a soft voice.

"Hi Mi-hyun, this is Sehun speaking," Sehun replied.

"I know it's you," I said with a smile on my face.

He laughed from the other end. "Ha ha, I introduced myself just in case you can't tell."

"Don't worry, I'm not dumb," I replied. "So, how's your summer going?" I asked.

"It’s boring, and too much homework. How about you?"

"Same, but I guess it's a little better with Luhan here," I replied carelessly and quickly regretted my statement as Sehun went quiet. "Sehun, you there?" I called.

"Y-yes I am still here." He quickly said. In the distance, I heard people talking and whispering.

"Ask her..." A voice said, it sounded familiar, but too quiet  for me to recognize.

"Do it bro, are you scared?" Someone taunted in the distance.

"Alright, alright, stop it you guys!" I heard Sehun whisper to them loudly in annoyance and quickly directed his attention back to me. "Sorry Mi-hyun, some idiots are interrupting me." He apologized.

"Who are you calling idiot?" A voice yelled and Sehun quickly shut him up.

'Who was that?" I asked.

He paused for a moment, "Mi-hyun, I was wondering if you are free today?" Sehun spoke hesitantly while more laughers could be heard from the background.

"Y-yes, I am..." My heart pounded as I answered. What is this all about?

"Um... Do you want to hang out today?mWe could go to the park for a picnic, I have food prepared," Sehun asked nervously.

I giggled at his cuteness and replied, "Of course, I'll bring some food too. It's still early in the morning right now, what time do you want to meet? Where are we meeting? Are there other people, or are we going, you know, alone?" I questioned.

"So many questions at once," He laughed, "How about we have a picnic lunch? So around 12 o', I'll pick you up at eleven. And, I think it's just the two of us, is that okay?" He asked.

I felt colors go on my cheeks as. "Two of us, like a date?"

"Yeah... I guess like a date," he said shyly, I giggled. Other snickers could be heard from the background too.

"Alright, sounds like fun, I'll go get ready, it's just 8:00 right now, and we have plenty of time," I replied.

"Okay, see you soon."

"Bye!"

As soon as the call ended, I jumped around in happiness and smiled like an idiot. I had to go get ready. I quickly headed to the kitchen to cook food for the picnic. I decided to make sushi since they were easy, quick, simple to make and taste delicious.

While I was making food, Luhan bugged me nonstop. "It was Sehun right? What did he call you for?" He questioned as if he owned me.

"Before I answer your question, may I ask, why did you have my phone?" I shot back.

He scoffed before answering, "I was looking up something with your phone, my phone is dead and it's charging."

I shook my head in disbelief. "Excuses..."

"Anyways, I answered your question. Tell me, what did Sehun call you for?" He continued to bug me.

"We are going to have a picnic together, I'm preparing food, he’s picking me up at 11 o'clock. Leave me alone now so I could finish quickly and shower," I replied.

"Just the two of you?" He questioned.

"Yes, now leave me alone."

Luhan gazed out the window for a second before mumbling something under his breath, "I've got enough time to make this work..." With that said, he walked away.

 

After I finished rolling up the sushi, I walked out of the kitchen and headed for the shower. From the corner of my eyes, I caught Luhan busy crafting strange little charms as I passed by his room. I stopped in my tracks and stood by the door to watch him.

He was making a little white dollish things made with tissue paper. It had a round head with a cute smiley face. It was a Teru teru bozu. I recognized charm that Luhan was making from an anime I watched. If you hang a teruterubozu by your window, it was supposed to bring sunny weather.

I watched as Luhan made more and more of those cute things. There were already a dozen lying on his bed. Smiling in amusement, I called out to the busy boy. "Lulu, what are you doing?"

He quickly turned to me with a grin on his face, "I'm making little charms, do you want to help me?"

"Nah, you don't need to do that for me, thank you. The weather outside is sunny and nice enough for a picnic, I don't want it to get too hot," I said with a smile.

Luhan arched his eyebrow and looked at me for a second with a confused expression.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing," he quickly said as a smile crept up his face, he tried to surpress it. "Go shower now Mi-hyun, you don't have much time," he said.

"Alright then..." I said hesitantly and glanced at the clock. It was 10:08 am, I should go shower now, Sehun would be here in an hour.

 

Rubbing some vanilla scented shampoo on my soaked hair, white foam with a lovely fragrance began to form. "I hope Sehun will like this smell..." I mumbled to myself. Wait, what was I thinking? Why would Sehun smell my hair?

After the weird session in the showers ended, I dried myself in a towel and hopped to my room in a hurry. I didn't have much time. I picked out the outfit for the day which consisted of a cute sky blue vest with a hood, white shorts, and shades for the sunny day.

It took me less than a minute to dress up. Then, I put my hair into a messy bun on top of my head and smiled in satisfaction as I looked in the mirror. I needed just a light touch of natural looking makeup for a brighter look. When all the preparation were finished, it was already 10:40. I headed down the stairs to fetch the sushi I made earlier.

My eyes widened as I stepped down the last step of the stairs. There were Teru teru bozu charms taped to the wall everywhere. They were all across the hall, dozens on and around the windows, more by the doors, and plenty on the wall. Sure, I wouldn't have minded them that much if they were just simply taped there. But, all the ones Luhan put up were upside down...

Sehun was almost here, what would he think if he saw this mess? "LUHAN!" I yelled in confusion and anger.

"Yes Mi-hyun?" Luhan poked his head out from his room and asked with an squeaky voice.

"EXPLAIN THIS NOW!" I shouted and pointed to all the charms he taped upside down.

The boy slowly walked out from his room and stood face to face from me. "I put up charms up for your picnic. I thought you liked it," he said with a grin.

"Why are there so many? And why are they all upside down?" I demanded.

Luhan looked around as well before answering. "Well, I guess the more charms, the stronger the magic?"

"Alright... but Luhan, why are they upside down?" I asked and pointed to the creepy white things dangling upside down from the wall as if they were dying.

My brother's eyes twinkled in delight. "You don't know?" He asked.

"What do you mean? Know what?" I questioned, suddenly feeling a bit scared by his reaction. He must had something on his mind.

"Nothing, nothing at all," he shook his head and hopped back to his room before I could scold him any further.

How dare he, to do this sort of things and try to get away. "LUHAN! GET OUT FROM THERE NOW AND HELP ME TAKE ALL THESE THINGS DOWN!" I shouted in anger.

"No, you shouldn't take them down," Luhan replied from inside his room.

I went to his room and banged on the door, yelling at Luhan. But before that idiotic boy could respond to me, the door bell rang.

I ran and quickly opened the door to welcome Sehun, my jaws dropped when not just Sehun, but Kai, Suho, and Baekhyun all appeared. "Come in, come in," I held the door open as four boys walked in. What's going on? Isn't it supposed to be just the two of us?

"Hi Mi-hyun, long time no see!" Baekhyun grinned and hugged me, followed by Kai. Suho just shook at the two boy's behavior his head and smiled.

"Hello," Sehun said and smiled at me. "Are you ready to go?" he asked.

I nodded and greeted him before pointing to the three boys standing behind him. "Um, Sehun, what's THIS?"

"Hey, it's not nice to refer us as THIS. We have names," Kai argued.

Sehun chuckled and shushed Kai. He turned to me. "Don't worry, they won't be joining us, their job is to keep Luhan company. Where is Luhan?"

"He is in his room right now. I was just yelling at him," I replied.

Sehun looked inside and pointed to a Teru teru bozu hanging upside down from the door frame. "Okay, but Mi-hyun, what are these doing here?"

"I have no idea, Luhan put them all up this morning, but I have no idea what they are for," I said and pulled one off from the wall.

Sehun laughed dryly. "You really don't know?"

I shook my head at his question. What's going on? Why do I get the feeling that Sehun is unhappy? "Let's go now, I'll make Luhan take them down with those three," I said.

 

I quickly went and grabbed the sushi from the kitchen, along with my purse and money. Passing by Luhan's room, I knocked on his door. "Get out, you have company."

"I don't, you do," he replied.

"You do too, now get out from there," I said one last time and quickly headed back to Sehun and the others.

"Let's go now, I'm all ready," I chirped and hopped toward the door.

Sehun and I exited the house and we bother froze.

"..."

He walked down the porch and looked around. It was dark outside, so dark that it felt like night. The sky was in a deep shade of gray. The warm, humid wind howled and gusted. I stood there, dazed by the scenery in front of me. It was sunny a moment ago... what was happening?

"Oh, it looks like it worked, I knew it!" Luhan suddenly appeared behind us and cheered.

"What?" I looked at the boy in confusion.

Sehun glared at Luhan and sighed. "Mi-hyun, when a Teruterubozu is hung upside down, it brings rain," he explained.

I stared at him blankly for a moment but quickly came back to my senses when a lightning flashed followed by the loud sound of thundering. "Everyone, help me tape the Teruterubozu right side up!" I yelled and quickly hurried inside. By the time we finished, rain was already pouring from the black sky. It was so dense I couldn't even see what was standing in front of me.

"Will this stop the rain?" Kai questioned as he looked out the window.

"It doesn't look like it..." Suho answered in complete honesty.

I sighed deeply and headed to Luhan. I flicked his forehead and glared at him. "You will pay for this, I'll make you pay," I said through my teeth.

"Guys, cheer up, I don't see what’s so bad about this. Referring to the condition outside, there's no way we could drive. So, why not just have a play date at Mi-hyun's house? It is our first time over, right?" Baekhyun spoke, trying to make light of the situation.

Kai cheered. "Good saying, let's party!"

Suho turned to me. "Mi-hyun wouldn't mind, would you?"

I smiled. "No, I don't mind. It's fine," I replied. I'm sure my parents would totally be okay if I had a party at the house alone with 5 boys...

"Sounds good, it'll be fun," Sehun said and winked at me, winked at me? YOU ARE SO ADORABLE, I LOVE YOU! I squealed on the inside.

There was no other choice, I had to do this. And Sehun was right, it would be fun.