Riding to the End

It’s Your Fault For Getting Adopted!

Being such a cheerful and happy girl, Mina managed to recover by the fifth day of the trip, which was also the second last day. The touring group was in the largest mall in Busan. It had an amusement park right next to it. We were standing around a large sculpture in the mall. Crowds of tourists and shoppers passed by, it was crowded.

Holding a speaker in her hand, the tour guide managed to get all of the students to quiet down and pay attention. "Alright, we'll meet back here at the mall entrance at 4 o'clock! Now, go and have fun!" The tour guide shouted to the big group of teenagers who were all excited for their adventure.

All the students drifted away, disappearing into the stores and roads. Suho lead all of us over to a relatively calm area and settled down. We had to decide what to do first. "Guys, let's go shopping right now!" Mina exclaimed to the blob of people. I nodded along, but the boys shook their heads. After a little discussion, we decided to split up. The girls would go shopping and the guys would go to an arcade in the mall.

Mina and I went to check out clothes. Once we were at the clothing store, Mina went all out and began trying on all the good looking dresses there were. Standing by the fitting rooms in boredom, I waited for Mina who would come out every two seconds with a new outfit and then go back in.

"How is this?" she laughed as she opened the door and came out, dressed in some glossy T-shirts and wearing a branded sun glasses.

I looked at her lazily, almost running out of patience, "Great, are you almost done? This is your eighth outfit, and yes, I'm counting."

"Just a couple more, almost done!" Mina called out from the stall. Yeah right, I know her well enough to know what a "couple more" means... 

After Mina was all finished and had bought her clothes, it was almost time to meet up with the guys. Mina and I wandered around in the huge mall, in search for the arcade.

When we finally found that noisy place, Mina and I paused for a second. The interior of the arcade was stuffed with people, and the machines flashed and beeped. I began to grow a little bit dizzy. Pushing past crowds of people in the dark arcade, I looked around for the boys. 

"How are we ever going to find them in here?" I said in frustration, stomping around the machines and games. 

Mina pointed to the front desk where the boys stood, bickering about something. "I see them," she said. As we walked closer toward the boys, I could hear their conversation. 

"No, once I got a higher score," Luhan was fighting with Baekhyun.

"Oh yeah? Prove it!" Baekhyun shot back. 

As I got closer, Luhan saw me and quickly grabbed me by my wrist and dragged me to Baekhyun. I looked at him in confusion. "Mi-hyun, I got higher than Baekhyun's score once right? You were watching me," Luhan exclaimed, pointing to the screen.

I looked at Baekhyun's results and nodded. "Yeah, Luhan's gotten a higher score once," I said to Baekhyun who frowned at my words.

"Alright, I'll believe you if Mi-hyun says so. But I challenge you again!" Baekhyun said.

"Fine, I'll prove it to you!"

"If I win this round, you have to be the lab rat going on the new roller coaster as an experiment for us. Then we'll know how scary it is," Baekhyun stated.

Luhan opened his mouth, but kept quiet. He looked directly at Baekhyun without giving a clear response.

"Are you scared?" Baekhyun said mockingly.

"No, let's do this, but if I win, you go on the rollercoaster," Luhan said and headed over to the big glowing machines.

Everyone stopped when we reached the cabinet racing game. It was a four players game. So, we ended up splitting into teams for this. Somehow, I decided to be on Luhan's team and help him win. Sehun teamed up with Baekhyun.

"Let's go!"

"To the right, yeah, slam them there!"

"Nice try, better luck next time!"

"What the hell?"

The boys yelled in excitement as they played. I was trying my best to help Luhan win, but Sehun was actually very skilled at this racing game. Whenever I tried to help Luhan by slamming Baekhyun's car, Sehun would take the hit. 

During the half way point, Kai suddenly suggested something that totally motivated me to try my hardest. "How bout a new rule? Not only the loser has to go on the ride, but the losing team." Mina and Suho nodded in agreement and so did Sehun and Baekhyun.

. Did I mention I can't stand rollercoaster and huge drops? How did I get myself into this mess? I have to win or else I'm dead... Winning is our only choice.

 

~~~~

 

The cart slowly moved up the track as I looked down at the ground, gulping in fear. We were pretty high in the air. Beside me sat Luhan who was pale and quiet, I noticed his fingers shaking as he had his eyes shut tightly. "Luhan, are you scared?" I asked, straining my neck to look past the giant securing gear that locked me into the seats.

"A little..." He replied with a shaky voice. 

Clearly, he was also scared. I strained my arm over and managed to grab a hold of his hand. After feeling my touch, Luhan grasped onto my hand tightly. I could feel him shiver as we went higher and higher. Finally, when we arrived at the tip of this giant roller coaster, I felt fear taking over my mind as I screamed my way down the 45 degrees drop.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" A loud girly scream shrilled.

Scratch that, it wasn't me who screamed, it was Luhan, my brother Luhan. During the ride, I had no time to laugh at him. My face stretched wide in terror as I felt my stomach in my throat. That feeling was unbearable, it lasted for ages... After the first giant drop, the ride picked up speed and zoomed about, twists, turns, drops and loop de loops... 

My legs were not working by the time the ride ended. I struggled to get up and pulled Luhan with me. I was shocked when I saw Luhan's face. He had tears in his eyes and was whimpering. "Are you alright Luhan?" I asked, hoping the boy was okay. It worried me a lot to see him like this because I recall reading about a guy who died after going on a ride in an amusement park. 

"Yeah, I'm just afraid of heights..." Luhan replied weakly and held on to my arm.

"Afraid of heights? Then why did you go on?" I exclaimed, suddenly, I felt sympathetic for Luhan... He didn't have to go, no one forced him to. 

"I didn't want to break the bet" Luhan said quietly, "Especially in front of you..." 

I just looked at the boy and pulled him into a hug. "It's alright now, let's go back to the others." 

 

"So how was it? Was it fun?" Kai was the first to ask.

"It was FANTABULOUS! We had SO much fun," I replied in pure sarcasm. 

"Really?"

"No."

"Luhan, how was it?" Baekhyun asked with a smirk on his face. 

"..." Luhan just glared and Baekhyun and kept quiet.

"Were you scared?" Baekhyun mocked.

"Shut the hell up, or I'll make you," Luhan replied with a dark expression and looked down at the ground. I went up next to him and hooked on to his arm. The boy didn't look at me, instead, he looked away.

"Did I seem like a coward?" He asked.

"No, I was scared too, why are you so bothered by this? Are you trying to prove yourself or something?" I said and dragged him behind me as we walked with the group.

"Maybe..." The boy said quietly, too quiet for me to hear. 

 

We went to a couple of different rides, the one I truly enjoyed the most was one called Storm Run. It had no drops, only sharp turns and was inside a dark tunnel in a artificial mountain. Some parts of the ride were pure dark as illusions of broken rail tracks caught me off guard. But the best part was watching the worker who worked there.

The worker in charge of this ride was short, he looked like he was in his twenties and had a cute innocent look on his face. After we all got seated in the seats, he checked our seat belts and securing gears to see if they were buckled properly. When he checked mine, our arms brushed against each other as I smiled in satisfacion.

"Alright, hold on tight and be prepared for the thrilling adventure in this old mine tunne! All clear! Choo choo!" He said cheerfully in a cute voice. I almost died when he said 'choo choo' as he imitated a train and waved to the passengers.

 

"OMG! That worker there was gorgeous! He was so cute, and did you guys hear how he said 'choo choo'? That was so damn cute, god... how old do you guys think he was? Do you think he'll be here next year too? Did any of you see his name tag? Do they have the employees' name on the amusement park's website?"

"Who? That dorky looking guy back there?" Mina asked with a grin.

"What? No, he was adorable! Are you blind?" I squealed. Sehun eyed me weirdly.

Mina grinned, "Mi-hyun, do you like that kind of guy?"

I immediately shook my head. "N-no, I just find him cute!"

"So you do like him," Kai butted in. 

"Shut up, no I don't, I already have a crush-" I stopped before I said anything else.

"Oh, Mi-hyun has a crush? I wonder who that is... Is he here right now?" Baekhyun chimed. 

"Shut up, let's go have lunch!" I yelled and tried to change the topic.

Suho smiled at me and led everyone away. The mama talked to the group and I followed behind, feeling heat on my face from what Baekhyun said.

Sehun tapped my shoulder. "Mi-hyun."

I looked up and my gaze met his, I smiled awkwardly. "What is it?" 

"I'm curious."

"About?"

"You crush, is he in this group right now?"

"Maybe..."

"Is it Suho?" 

"No."

"Kai?"

"No, you should stop asking, I won't tell you." 

"Alright, one last guess okay?"

"Fine, but don't expect me to tell the truth."

"Is it me?"

My heart pounded in my chest as he said the question, Sehun's expression was as calm as ever. I kept quiet and looked away from the handsome boy walking beside me. Suddenly, he grabbed my wrist and pulled me to a stop. I was pretty sure my face was as red as a tomato now. I avoided his gaze until he gently tilted my chin up with his hand, forcing me to look at him.

"It's me, isn't it?" Sehun whispered. I blushed madly and kept quiet. He gave a light chuckle before resuming his step. But as we walked, he took my hand.

The people walking in front of us chatted and minded their own business, Mina was laughing with Kai and Baekhyun while Suho led the group. When I looked at Luhan, he turned his head and met my eyes before sending a glare to the boy beside me.

 

~~~~

 

I felt nervous being around Sehun after the little chat we had, I wouldn't be surprised if he knew I liked him. It was just that he seemed so calm, maybe expressionless about my feelings. Did it mean he wasn't interested? I hoped it wouldn't be a one sided relationship.

"Guys, it's 3:40 now, we should start heading back," Suho commanded his troupe of people but no one listened. 

Kai ran for a nearby ride and dragged Mina with him. "We haven't been on that ride yet!"

"No, I hate spinning rides!" Mina yelled and tried to escape from Kai's grip. 

"Guys, we need to start heading back, it's almost time," Suho once again tried to lead the bunch of people, but everyone seemed to be unaware of the elder's presence as they all just continued chatting and laughing.

Sighing in frustration, Suho took a big breath... "EVERYONE LISTEN UP!" 

Immediately, the group silenced, Kai and Mina stopped fooling around and turned their attention to him. 

Seeing that everyone had given their full attention to him, Suho cleared his throat and began. "It is 3:40 pm. We are supposed to meet back at the mall entrance by 4:00. It's going to take us a while to find our way back and get through blobs of people. We should start heading back now." 

Sehun nodded and agreed with Suho.

"But we haven't been on all the rides yet!" Kai whined, not wanting to leave this fun and busy place.

"For god's sake, will you stop complaining? Not everyone wants to go on the stupid rides," Mina scoffed at Kai's immature actions.

Kai held his hands up in defeat. "Alright alright prince." Mina giggled, she seemed to enjoy spending time with him. 

"Let's get going then," Suho ordered, and with this said, everyone followed the leader.

 

Once we have gathered at the main entrance of the mall, the tour guide talked briefly about the history of this huge amusement park and the mall, how it came to be, and some pretty cool facts. 

“Everyone to the bus, our next stop will be our hotel for free time and rest time, then we'll head to a special spaghetti restaurant where we will have fancy italian dinner," The tour guide instructed. 

"If anyone needs to use the restrooms, please go right now," our teacher added and students started dismissing themselves. I had to go too, so dragging Mina behind me, I went to the ladies room. 

Sitting down on the toilet seats that looked clean enough, I gasped when I saw my . Why did it have to come now? Frustrated, I called out to Mina.

"Hey Mina, can you get me a pad from the vending thingy?" I asked.

"Wow Mi-hyun, you have to have it right now, during the trip?"  Mina said. After hearing a few clicks, Mina's arm reached underneath the stall door and handed me the pad. 

"Hey, it's not like I want to," I replied while doing my work.

 

~~~~

 

Sitting on the bus beside Mina, Mi-hyun listened to music and looked out the window, occasionally staring at cute boys passing by. Mina, who was sleeping soundly on her shoulders didn't give a damn about Baekhyun and Kai who was sitting behind them, bothering her and pulling her hair. 

Luhan looked out the window. He sat alone behind Kai and Baekhyun. He glanced at Mi-hyun and thought about her. He had feelings for his sister. But we're not related by blood, Luhan often convinced himself. He then thought of Sehun, that boy also liked her, it was obvious. She liked him back... 

I can't lose my love even if I'm at a disadvantage... 

The bus stopped at the traffic lights, waiting for a left turn signal. There was a park on that corner, a small park with a small playground and a patch of dense trees. A figure standing there caught his attention, it was a man.

It was too far to see his facial features, but that man had amber color hair with blonde streaks. He was slouching. With him were two other men, older looking. They didn't seem like good people... The bus started again, and zoomed past the park.

 

~~~~

 

Finally when we arrived back at the hotel, the first thing I did was to jump on the big comfy bed and bury my head in the soft pillows. Mina did the same next to me and landed on top of me. We stared at each other and laughed. 

"In coming," Luhan suddenly yelled from behind and leaped on us as we screamed. Immediately, Mina and I shoved the boy off with all of our might.

I whiped a pillow at the crazy boy. "Go away Luhan!"

"No!" He yelled back and threw the pillow back. But Mina caught it and stopped our fight. 

"Alright, both of you stop it!" She shouted. "It's free time now, so why don't we go outside and explore this place a bit more?" 

"Okay, yeah, that reminded me, I need to buy more..." I trailed off as I remembered that there was a boy in our room.

Luhan looked at me. "Buy what?"

"None of your business," I quickly replied and hoped he would stop asking.

He looked at me for a second and turned to Mina, "Mina, what is Mi-hyun buying?"

"Pads and tampons, do you need some too?" Mina answered jokingly. Both me and Luhan immediately turned red and looked away in embarrassment. 

"Luhan, do you want to go get ice-cream together with Sehun and his friends? I need to go to the convenient store with Mina," I suggested.  

"Okay, I'll come with you guys to the convenient store too," Luhan chirped.

"NO," Mina and I said at the same time, Luhan quickly held his hand up in defeat, then we got our stuff and headed out.

 

"Where are you people going?" Baekhyun's voice sang when we were about to walk out the hotel door. 

Groaning, I turned around and faced the pretty boy. "What do you want?" I asked.

"You want to tag along? We're getting ice cream," Mina invited him, I eyed her in a 'what are you doing' look and turned away. 

"Okay, it looks like Mi-hyun really wants my company," Baekhyun said in sarcasm, “I’ll tell you what, I'll get Sehun for you okay?" He said to me with a grin on his face. 

"Yes please," I brightened up and replied eagerly, Luhan's expression turned dark as Baekhyun went away. 

I entrusted Luhan to Suho and told the elder to take good care of my brother. He agreed and took Luhan with him to the ice-cream shop. Before they left, Kai invited Mina and I to come along with them. We declined.

Sehun looked at us unsurely, "What are you guys doing?"

"Girl business, go get ice-cream, see you later!" Mina quickly blurted out and pulled me away. Luhan laughed and whispered something in Sehun's ear, and immediately, the boy's expression turned awkward and let out an uncomfortable chuckle. 

Sehun gazed at us as he walked away. "Come back soon."

 

~~~~

 

We walked down the street, in search of the store. I was confused, my surroundings were unfamiliar. "Isn't the convenient store that way?" I said to Mina and pointed down the road.

"I thought it was across the street," she said in confusion.

While we were busy discussing where the convenient store would be, two dark figures followed us. 

When we finally found the convenient store, Mina jumped up in victory. "I told you it's this way!" She exclaimed and pointed to the store across the street. 

"Okay, you win, now let's go in," I said and shushed the hyper girl. 

"I hope I brought my wallet," Mina said, digging into her purse. 

"It's okay, I have mine. I'll pay for you if you want to get anything," I replied. 

After a moment, Mina looked through her bag and dug out her wallet. "It's okay, I found it. Let's go," she said and held her wallet up.

"Alright-" I stopped talking and froze as my eyes widened in surprise. "MINA, WATCH OUT!" I yelled, pushing the girl out of the way of two charging men. Those two people just jumped out of nowhere and approached us at an alarming speed.

Mina quickly jumped away in fear, but she wasn't fast enough, one of the men ripped her purse away while the other snatched her wallet. Then, the two robbers dashed away. 

Mina stared at them wide eyes as she mumbled under her breath, "I have my money, my cards and my student ID in there..." She looked at me and I didn't know what to do. "After them!" My best friend shouted and broke into a sprint after the two men, I followed. 

"Stop, thief!" Mina yelled helplessly after the men who were gradually getting further and further away. We ran and ran, it wasn't easy to keep up with two grown man, but somehow, we managed. 

Chasing after them, we ended up in a small park. Mina caught the sight of them dashing into the thick woods. "They went in there..." She panted and pointed at the dark trees. 

"Are we going in? It looks dark in there..." I asked, not feeling so great after sprinting during my time of the month.

"Of course, be quiet and wait here, I'll go see if they are in the forest," Mina whispered under her breath and slowly moved into the trees.

I couldn't help but feel a wave of nervousness swimming through my stomach as I watched the girl disappear behind the dense trees and bushes. It was getting cooler outside, a gust of wind blew against my bare legs, I shivered as I waited for Mina. I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited.

After what seemed like hours, I couldn't keep calm anymore. I decided to go after Mina. Maybe she was in danger and needed help.

Prowling through the tall bushes into the woods, I froze and hid behind a tree as I spotted Mina, with two men twice her size holding a steel bat in their hands.