Part Time Job

It’s Your Fault For Getting Adopted!

Another few weeks of summer passed by. After I finished my summer homework, I was completely wasting my life as I lazed around the house, doing pointless things to pass time. Luhan, on the other hand, was the opposite. He found a part time job to hand out flyers for a furniture store.

My mom's footsteps made me jerk up from my bed. I quickly snatched a math book to shield her gaze. When she opened the door without a warning, her scoldings began. "Mi-hyun, what have you done in the summer so far?" She questioned, looking at me expectantly.

I gazed up at her, trying to hide the look of guilt on my face, "I'm studying math?" I replied and swallowed dryly.

"Really," my mom said in pure sarcasm. "It's impressive how you are studying math upside down," she said and took the booklet from my hand before studying the contents carefully. "Mi-hyun, you have to start doing something. Why can't you learn from your brother? Go get a part time job or volunteer in the community," she lectured.

I groaned before standing up from the bed lazily. "Fine... but where do you want me to go?" I asked.

"Is Mina doing anything? Maybe you two can go together," mom suggested.

"Mom, Mina is in California right now," I reminded her and sighed. Mina's family decided to go to California for their summer vacation. That lucky girl was probably in swimming in the ocean, or tanning on the beach.

Before my mom could respond, my dad came out of nowhere. "What are you two chatting about?" He asked.

"Mi-hyun needs to go out and do something, do you have any ideas?" She said to him.

He looked like he was deep in thought for a moment before a wide grin wrinkled his eyes, "I just remembered! I have a friend whose brother owns a cafe downtown. They are in need of a waitress right now. Why don't you consider this a real working experience and go help out?" My dad said excitedly.

"That's a great idea honey! Go give them a call saying Mi-hyun will be glad to help out tomorrow," my mom chimed in.

I immediately shook my head, "What? No, I'd rather work at the library than at a cafe."

"You don't have a library to work at, do you? Then the cafe is your only choice," my mom said sternly and walked away.

"But mom!"

"No buts, I'll go make the call now," my dad said and followed my mother. I sighed and flopped back on my bed. This was terrible...

Later, my parents happily informed me that I had a job. I would work starting tomorrow, my shift would be from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm, everyday except for Fridays and weekends. The cafe wasn't big, although it didn't have a wide selection of meals, the sweets there were considered the best in town. Maybe I would get to have some for free.

After all that had been decided, I once again began lazing around the house. Finally, when it was near dinner time, Luhan came home from work. I was happy to see him. "Welcome home, Lulu," I said as I walked down the stairs to greet him.

He dropped his bag and rushed over with a pretty paper box in hand. "Here, for you. I passed by a cafe tonight and there were lots of people buying this kind of cake. It looked good so I got one for you with the money I earned," he explained and handed me the little box.

I opened it and looked inside, there was a little slice of cake covered with white icing, chocolate stripes ran across the surface and several pieces of fruit and cocoa stick were neatly laid on top. I smiled and thanked my caring brother. "This is beautiful, I'm not even sure if I want to eat it anymore. It's so pretty, thanks a bunch!"

It turned out the cake was from my dad's friend's brother's cafe which I would be working at tomorrow. It might not be so bad if I get to eat this everyday, that cake was quite yummy.

"You are starting to work at that cafe tomorrow?" Luhan asked.

"Yep, and I'll get lots of cake," I replied with a grin.

"Get me some too okay?"

"Alright, alright."

Luhan smiled, "That cafe is on my way to the furniture store where I work, so it's pretty close, I could go see you during break time," he said.

"Really? Okay then."

"I'll eat there and make you serve me," he said.

I shook my head and laughed, "Ha! Like that's going to happen."

 

~~~~

 

After finishing the messy bun that sat on top of my head, I glanced in the mirror and smiled in satisfaction. Today was the day of my first job, it would be a whole new experience for me.

"Mi-hyun, hurry up!" Luhan yelled from downstairs. I quickly grabbed my phone and purse before running down the stairs. I found him all ready to go, waiting for me by the door.

"Geez, stop rushing me!"

"But we are going to be late."

I checked the time on the phone, "No we are not. It's 2:00, it only takes 30 minutes to get there by bus," I argued.

"It's always good to arrive early. Also, my job starts at 2:30, half an hour before yours," he explained.

"What? You're going to be late!" I quickly grabbed him and dragged him out from the house. "Bye mom! We're leaving!" I yelled and locked the door behind me.

The two of us headed for the bus stop down on the main street. The roads were busy and the sidewalk was filled with people. Once we reached the bus stop, the two of us were already worn out by the hot summer sun that shone brightly above our heads. But we knew our hard work paid off when the bus arrived 30 seconds after we reached the stop.

"Ahhh, it's so nice in here..." Luhan said as we aboard the air conditioned bus. Although most of the seats were filled, there were two empty ones at the back of the bus. Luhan and I sat down.

"Are we getting off at the same stop?" I asked.

Luhan thought for a moment, "Yeah, the bus stops in front of the cafe, so I have to walk two blocks to get to the furniture shop. After that, I can just roam the streets to hand out flyers," he said.

I gazed out at the hot summer scenery and turned to Luhan, "It's pretty hot out there today, don't get dehydrated and die," I advised.

"Don't worry, I promise I will stay standing until the last piece of flyer has been delivered," Luhan grinned.

"So, where are we meeting up after work?"

"I'll go pick you up at the cafe. Prepare good food for me!" He joked.

"Prepare your wallet first!"

Luhan and I parted ways after we arrived at our destination.

Walking down the road, I spotted the cafe a couple meters from the bus stop. I nervously walked up to the small shop. The bell jingled as the cafe door was pushed open. I hesitantly walked inside to find myself gazing at a pleasant little shop. There were little round tables with two seats by the windows and larger tables with four seats lined up against the wall. A small wooden counter sat in between the long glass display shelves with pretty and authentic looking desserts in there.

A tall friendly looking boy stood behind the counter, he greeted me with a welcoming smile. I walked up to him. Before I could speak, he greeted me first, "Welcome, how are you today? What would you like?"

I quickly shook my head, "No, no, I'm actually here for my job today. Would you mind letting me see the shop owner?" I asked politely.

He grinned, "Mi-hyun right? You are here early, follow me, my dad is upstairs," he said and walked out from behind the counter. So that was the owner's son. Taking my hand, he led me to a door by the corner of the room. The door was opened and revealed a long row of stairs. "He is up there, I need to get back to the counter. Good luck, we'll chat later," he said cheerfully and left.

"Thank you!" I smiled and headed up the stairs.

Looking around on the second floor, I almost forgot that I was in a cafe. The second floor of the building was furnished like a real home. The floor was dark walnut colored and well polished. A large comfortable sofa sat on the side of the room and a flat screen TV hung off the wall. There were three more doors leading to different rooms.

"Hello," a male voice greeted. I quickly turned around and found myself staring at a man who looked to be in his forties.

"Hi, I am Rim Mi-hyun and I am here for my job," I said formally and bowed.

"Mi-hyun, aren't you here early? I'll show you around before we get started," the owner said and went to the drawer and took out a package of clothes. "Here you go," he handed me the package, "This will be your staff uniform. It's nothing much, just a vest that goes over your normal clothes. We don't have a strict dress code at the cafe, just wear whatever you feel comfortable with and put this on top."

I looked down at the plastic package, "May I open it?" I asked, unsure of what to do next.

"Of course! You'll need to wear it in a minute for your work," he nodded.

I opened the package and took out the dark blue vest that had the cafe's logo printed on the back. It was well designed and hugged comfortably around my figure. Since it was dark blue, it matched all sorts of colors, I wore a white long sleeve underneath and everything looked good.

The owner turned to me. "Is the size okay?" I nodded. "Alright, you can call me Mr. Park, and I believe you have met my son?" He asked.

"Oh yes, he is a very nice person," I said a little awkwardly.

Mr. Park smiled and nodded. "Chanyeol is good most of the time, you guys should get along with no problem. Anyways, as you can see, the second floor is where my family lives. Now, let's head down and get you started."

I followed Mr.Park as he showed around the cafe. From the kitchen where the drinks and desserts were prepared, to the staff room where all the supplies and equipment were stored. He then taught me how to serve meals and introduced me to the chef and the barista who were both very kind to me.

Each table had a number. To serve, I first had to greet the customer and offer them the menu, then I would give their order to the kitchen. After the food was prepared, I just took the plates prepared by the kitchen which had the number on it and brought it to the customer's table. After they finished, I would head over with the receipt and collect the money along with some tips. It was a little complicated at first, so Chanyeol demonstrated the process to me with a customer.

I was amazed by how enthusiastic he seemed when talking to the customer, he always had a warm smile on his face and his tone was welcoming and friendly. Plus, he had a handsome face in favor. I started to work when the cafe began to get busier. I was a little stiff when I first began serving, but as I ran through more and more cycles, everything seemed fine, and maybe a little fun. I began receiving tips during my job, it was a good experience.

"How are you doing?" Chanyeol asked when we were both at the counter, waiting for the order from the kitchen.

"Good, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Do you do this all day?" I asked.

"Not really, I just help out when I'm free or when it gets busy, like today. But everything will be much more fun having someone to work with me," he said and the order from the kitchen was ready, "Oh, look at this delicious sorbet, I need to go deliver it now," he said and hurried off.

Gradually, the shop got quieter when dinner time neared, since we didn't sell any actual hot dinner, customers lessened. Finally, when there were only two people left who were sipping their tea slowly while having a nice long conversation, Chanyeol and I took a rest behind the counter.

"Phew, it has been long day..." He said.

"My legs are kind of sore from all the standing," I said, not wanting to sound like I was whining.

He chuckled, "You'll get used to it after doing this everyday. We only have 30 more minutes to go," he said and pointed to the clock on the wall. I nodded.

Suddenly, the peacefulness was disturbed when some noisy people walked in. Chanyeol and I quickly stood up to welcome the customers. My heart started pounding as soon as I laid my eyes on them. There were four boys, they didn't look so nice.

Before I could say anything, Chanyeol greeted them. "Welcome, please take a seat and we will take your order in a moment," he said and led them to a four seat table.

Chanyeol went back to me and whispered in my ear. "They aren't nice people. I'll get my dad down here to keep an eye on them. Last time, they almost started a fight in this cafe. Go take their order and I'll be right back," he said and dashed up the stairs. I gulped and looked back at the four boys, they were all pretty handsome, but in a dangerous way. Their dispositions reminded me of Ethan.

I took two menus and headed for the group. "Here is the menu, please take your time," I said and tried my best to flash a normal smile. They stopped talking and looked at me, dead silence filled the room. I nervously bowed a little before hurrying back to the counter.

"What's wrong, why is it so quiet?" Mrs. Chief asked me, I shook my head and placed my finger on my lips. Even though I was away from their table, I could still feel their gaze burning on my back as I pretended to be busy with the cash register.

"Hey, we are ready to order!" One guy called out to me. I quickly went to them. As I stood by their table, they all just looked at me,

"What would you like?" I asked weakly.

"You," The one who called me before replied.

I froze and didn't know how to respond. "Pardon me?" I questioned, a little frightened by the situation.

The boy cracked a teasing smile, showing off his cute dimples on his face. "Just kidding. What are you guys getting?" He asked his friends. I let out a sigh of relief as they started to discuss about what they were getting.

I observed them while they ordered.

"Miss."

One looked kind of scary, one looked quite cute, the one who spoke to me had nice dimples, and the last looked friendly.

"Miss."

Now that I looked at them closely, they seemed to be around the same age as me. At least we didn't go to the same school together.

Suddenly, the cute looking one grabbed my wrist, I flinched. "We are ordering here," he spoke and let go.

"S-sorry! Yes, what are you guys ordering?" I apologized.

Before I could write anything down, Chanyeol came up from behind, "I'll take over."

With that said, he took my spot and I headed back to the counter to find Mr. Park standing there, keeping a close eye on those boys. After they ordered, Chanyeol waited for the food by the counter.

I walked up to him, "What do you think about them?"

He quickly glanced at them. "I don't know, this is only their second time here, I don't remember seeing them before. But I honestly don't like them."

"Same here."

"Be prepared," Chanyeol said.

I looked at him, "For what?"

"Them."

"Why?"

"They invited you to join them."

I jumped, "What? When did that happen?"

Chanyeol looked serious, "Just now, they said they ordered coffee for you," he said.

I stared at him wide eyed. "What? You should have declined them."

"They wouldn't listen, and did buy coffee for you. Just be careful with them, okay?" He replied.

I sighed. What was going on here? Soon, their order was finished, and I had to bring it over. They didn't get too much stuff, just some drinks and desserts.

I slowly walked to their table with the tray in hand. Placing the food down, I forced a smile. "Enjoy," I said and tried to slip away but failed miserably when the scary boy grabbed my hand.

"Join us," he said with a crooked smile.

I shook my head, "Sorry, but I'm working," I replied, but he still wouldn't let me go.

"It's okay, there aren't any customers here for you to serve, so just have fun with us," the dimpled boy said.

"Sorry," I declined.

The cute one smirked. "What if we say you don't get a choice?"

Suddenly, an even stronger force tugged me away from behind and held on to me. "Can't you see she didn't want to hang out with you idiots?" Luhan's familiar voice said.

I turned around in surprise, "Luhan?"

"Aren't you glad I'm here," he grinned.

I looked at the clocked, it was 6:50 pm. "Thanks Luhan, now let's go, I'm sure I'm allowed to leave early," I whispered to him and dragged him away by his wrist.

The cute boy who sat at the table stood up. "Say, pretty boy," he turned to Luhan, "Is this your girlfriend?" Luhan glared at them, tension built up between the two boys.

I looked over helplessly at Mr. Park and Chanyeol who both came up. "Boys, this is a place to relax and enjoy food, please don't start another fight," he said harshly to the four boys who scrawled. Luhan quickly backed up and I pulled him away. The cute looking boy sat down and gave him the finger before turning away to his friends.

"Mr.Park, if you won't mind, I'll leave early today," I said.

Chanyeol and Mr. Park walked us out of the cafe. "Sorry Mi-hyun, for such a first day. Hope you won't take this event into heart," Mr.Park said.

"Sorry Mi-hyun. We'll see you tomorrow, right?" Chanyeol asked.

I nodded, "Definitely, bye!" I waved and left with Luhan by my side.

Once we got on the bus, Luhan started the lecture, "Mi-hyun, that was dangerous, you don't know who they are or what they might do to you. Don't you remember Mina's incident? You might get ! Maybe you should quit the job, I'll ask your parents." He babbled.

I sighed, "Luhan, it's alright. I can take care of myself. You don't need to mind."

"Stop this," he suddenly said.

I looked up in surprise, his tone was dead serious. "Stop what?"

"Treating me like this."

"Is there anything wrong with how I treat you?" I asked and raised my eyebrow.

Luhan stared into my eyes. "Yes. You always treat me like an annoying joke, or a little brother. You never be real with me or try to get close. I feel like I'm the only one trying..." he confessed. I froze for a second. "Never mind, just forget it," he said quietly and turned away.

I kept silent and gazed out at the busy scenery outside as the bus made multiple stops before we finally arrived home. Luhan was awfully silent tonight. I wonder what was wrong. Why was everyone around me acting strange? First, it was Sehun... He said he liked me... If it was the me a year ago, I would have died of happiness and gladly return his feelings. But now, I wasn't so sure...

I looked at Luhan's handsome side profile and sighed. Something else in my heart was overcoming my love for Sehun.

What's happening to us?