An Accident

It’s Your Fault For Getting Adopted!

It was just another school day in late February when I came across the letter.

"Mi-hyun, what are you going to do when we get home?" Luhan asked as we sat in the back row of a bus.

I shrugged. "Probably just finish my homework. Why do you ask?" 

"Come to think of it, you haven't been hanging around Sehun very often although you two are dating," he said with an expression that I couldn't comprehend.

I thought about it for a second. "We've been hanging out a lot in school since he sits next to me in class. But now that you mentioned it, we never gone out yet, for a date."

A grin appeared on my brother's face. "You know, if you ever get bored of him, I'll be there for you."

I smacked his head. "What are you saying? Idiot."

It was strange, although we had the small 'talk' before that didn't end too happy, nothing really changed that much between us. Perhaps Luhan's smile was fake, but I couldn't believe how seemingly content he was. That boy was truly unpredictable. 

After getting off the bus, Luhan and I walked down the sidewalk and eventually arrived home. When I hopped up the stairs of the porch, I went and checked the mailbox that hung beside our door. Luhan was behind me, walking rather slowly like an old grandpa. I opened the cold metal lid and reached inside to find an envelope. I took it out and looked at it. To my surprise, it wasn't another random flyer or bank letter that we often received, this letter was from a travel agency, and judging from the looks of the letter, it was something about airplane tickets.

I was stumped, why in the world would we receive this? Perhaps my dad was going away on an oversea business trip, or, Luhan was visiting China? I held the envelope in my hand as I stared at Luhan who shot me questioning look.

"What is it, Mi-hyun?" Luhan asked as he reached for the envelope.

I passed the envelope to him. "Are you going back to China or something? This letter is from a travel agency."

Luhan just stared at me and pressed his lips into a thin line.

"Are you?" 

"Do you want me to?" He questioned back.

"Well, of course not, but-"

"I see," Luhan interrupted me and a smile surfaced on his face. "You love me too much to let me go. I know I am a perfect guy, but if you don't confess your feelings, I can't accepted them."

I mentally face palmed myself. "Just keep your mouth shut."

Anyways, I unlocked the door and walked into my warm house. My parents were not home yet, so I just left the letter on the kitchen counter and went about with my business. I headed up the stairs to my room and took out my text books and binders. But before I could get started on any work, my text notifications rang. I took out my phone and saw that Sehun texted me.

Hey princess, are you missing me right now? You are, aren't you? Ha ha, I can't wait to see you again. Anyways, I was wondering if you are free on Saturday Remember how I wanted to take you to a picnic last year and it rained so hard that our plans were ruined?  I want to take you out for a date at the park. I hope you can come ><

I smiled upon the cute message Sehun sent me. He was so adorable that I wanted to hug him right now. I looked at my calendar and saw that I was free on Saturday. I quickly texted back.

Yep, I can go on Saturday. Can't wait to hang out with you dude!

Not a minute later, my boyfriend replied.

Why did you call me dude? Out of all the cute words, you had to use dude :'( I hope I'm not getting friend zoned. 

I chucked and worked my fingers across the keyboard.

Sorry, dude. I hope you won't mind, dude :P

After a couple more exchanges of text, I told him that I had to go work on my homework. It took me a while to complete everything. When I did so, I went downstairs, just in time to greet my mother who came in. She asked me how school was and went to get changed before starting to work in the kitchen.

The truth was that I hadn't told my mom about Sehun being my boyfriend yet, and I wasn't sure if I should. I decided to wait a while before I tell her. In the meantime, I went to the kitchen to ask her about the envelope we have received. 

My mom held the envelope in her hand and stared at it. She didn't seem to notice me when I approached, so when I tapped her on the shoulder, she gasped and turned to me.

"Mi-hyun! You scared me for a second. Why did you creep up on me like that?" My mom demanded as she put her hand that held the envelope behind her back. 

"Sorry mom, I just wanted to ask you about the mail we received from the travel agency," I said.

My mother seemed to be startled. "What mail?"

"The one you are holding right now," I said and pointed to her arms that stayed behind her back.

She froze and looked at me. "Oh, you saw." 

It was so strange to see an adult panicking as if she was trying to hide a mistake. "Of course I did, I was the one who brought it in. Now mom, I was wondering what that mail was for. Is someone going somewhere?" I questioned.

"Sweetie," my mom spoke after a moment of silence. "What do you think this letter is for?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, is dad going somewhere to work? Or is Luhan going back to China for a visit?"

My mother's eyes softened and was replaced with a sober expression. "Why don't you ask Luhan yourself? You'll know when the time comes."

I didn't want to think about it, but I had several guesses in my mind, and some weren't pleasant. I decided to stop questioning and left the kitchen, a little distressed by what I had been hearing about lately. Sometimes, it was better not to know the truth. I honestly prayed that it wouldn't be what I thought it might be.

 

~~~~

 

Sitting on the giant bed, the boy was on the phone with his three best friends. They were having a vigorous conversation about hair color. 

"Are you guys sure Mi-hyun would like a change?" Sehun asked for the millionth time in the last 40 minutes.

Baekhyun spoke next, extra loud. "Yes! Gosh, stop being a ! It should be common sense that no matter what type of hair a handsome man has, he is still handsome!"

"But, I don't know... What if it turns out bad?" Sehun whined and ran his hand through his hair.

"Sehun, you've had this hairstyle for the past 10 years, I've known you since Kindergarten, and trust me, you need a change," Suho said, trying to convince the boy to try something new.

Kai shushed all of them with a loud "SHUT UP!" and everybody went quiet. "Thank you, I can finally speak now," he huffed. "Okay, listen Sehun. You need to change your hairstyle, and I know exactly what the girls are into-"

"Of course you do, you are a girl..." Sehun mumbled under his breath, earning snickers from the other boys.

"Shut up, I heard that," Kai scoffed and proceeded to speak. "Anyways, as I was saying, I know what kind of hair girls like. So listen to me carefully if you want Mi-hyun's love. From what I've seeing lately, girls like Mi-hyun should be attracted to a clean haircut, meaning no long bangs and greasy looking hair-"

Sehun faked a yawn. "I don't have long bangs nor greasy looking hair and I never will."

"Be quiet and let me speak," Kai said in annoyance as he was tired of being interrupted. "Yes you are right, I suggest you stay the same with your hair length, but get it restyled. Have you seen the recent haircut of the super famous Korean actor named Minseok?"

The other boys let out a long 'Ohhhh' as they knew who Kai was talking about.

Kai laughed. "Yes, the super hot, recently debuted actor, nick named Xiumin, that played in the movie Gone."

"Yeah, I've seen him on TV before," Sehun said.

"Good. His latest hairstyle, the black one, is literally killing girls here and there. Mi-hyun's totally going to love that," Kai said.

Baekhyun clapped. "Sounds great, it's pretty natural too, I think it'll suit our Sehunnie."

Kai chuckled. "But wait, I'm not done yet. Just copying is too unoriginal and is going to make him seem desperate for attention. So I suggest that you get that hair cut, and dye it blonde."

Sehun couldn't believe his ears for a moment. "What did you just say? Dye my hair blonde? What the hell man? No way am I ever going to do that," the poor youngster exclaimed.

"Bro, trust me with my judgment. You'll look like a dashing prince with blonde hair. Mina will love you, and so will all of us, right?" Kai said.

"Yes, we'll love you too!" Baekhyun joined in.

 

Although the stubborn boy didn't want to listen to them at first, he eventually gave in to their nagging and somehow agreed to Kai's plan. Without another word said, Suho took out his credit card and booked Sehun an appointment at the Galaxy hair salon.

The next day after school, Sehun took the bus and headed to the hair salon. He was so apprehensive on the way there. The last thing he wanted at the date was to have a hideous haircut. 

The little building that sat in the heart of the city was more lively than ever. When he walked in, there was actually a line of people waiting in the front. Sehun was glad that his good friend booked him an appointment before hand. 

When he went up to the counter, the service lady registered him and told him to wait for a minute. Soon after, a hair dresser hurried out from the back. She looked to be in her mid forties with a round figure. 

"Sorry for the wait, we are pretty busy at this moment. Follow me and I'll lead you to our station."

The lady led him to one of many other seats in a surprisingly large room. Plenty of other people were also getting their hair done. Some were reading while they waited in their seats with curlers in their hair, and were getting permed, and some others had hair hairdressers busy chopping away at their hair. 

"Please take a seat here and I'll begin with you shortly," the busy lady said and hurried off to another customer whom she was also working on.

The next time the lady returned was after ten minutes. "Sorry for the inconvenience sir, I already know exactly what sort of hairstyle you want, blonde right? I will tell my assistant and she will come to work with you in a moment."

A few moments later, the assistant arrived, and she was not how Sehun had imagined her to be. This lady was older, seemingly in her fifties with wrinkles on her face and gray hair. Without a word, she came up and held up scissors in her hand.

Sehun gulped but didn't say anything but let the old lady work. He was relieved when he saw that the old lady was pretty careful and fairly skilled.

First it was the trim, then it was the bleach which took about 40 minutes, finally, when the hair was ready, the lady rinsed out his hair which by then was already yellow. Sehun, by then, was already half asleep on the chair, eyes half open, looking at his knees.

When Sehun snapped back to consciousness, he looked in the mirror and find a big surprise that almost made him jump up from his chair.

"Excuse me!" He called out to the busy staff that was in charge of him. But the old lady didn't seem to hear him. He tried again. "EXCUSE ME!"

The lady soon came and asked what he needed.

"I think there's been a mistake. I wanted BLONDE hair, but why is there PINK colored dye on my head?" He questioned.

The old lady looked at him for a moment and went to get the hair dresser that brought him in. She frowned apologetically at Sehun. "We are so sorry about the mistake. There were so many customers tonight, we got your request mixed up with somebody else's. Go to the front desk after we are finished and we will give you back a full refund."

Sehun couldn't believe his ears. What did they just tell him? 

Everything ended pretty tragically for Sehun. After this visit to Galaxy hair saloon, he had permanently pink hair, just like Luhan, and he wasn't happy about it. He was worried about his date with Mi-hyun, and what she would think.

Once he told his three friends what had happened, they tried their best to comfort him and told him that he looked great. And it was true, he did look great. It was just as Baekhyun said: "No matter what type of hair a handsome man has, he is still handsome."

Dedicated to Namstarlight67 (Thank you for being such a supportive reader :)