Good Bye

It’s Your Fault For Getting Adopted!

The boys were back from the ice-cream shop. They were in their hotel room.

"What time is it?" Sehun asked Kai who was laying on the couch.

Kai glanced down at his phone, "It's 6:33 right now."

"Mi-hyun and Mina are late, we're supposed to meet back at 6:40 and go for dinner right? It'll take them at least ten minutes to walk back," Sehun said, clearly worried about the girls. A knock on the door interrupted his thoughts, he went to open the door.

Luhan stood by the door awkwardly. "Sehun, Mi-hyun and Mina aren't back yet," he said.

"I know, I hope they are okay," Sehun replied and rubbed his chin.

Noticing Luhan's presence, the other boys also gathered by the door.

"Maybe they got lost?" Baekhyun suggested.

"Or they are distracted by the stores? Mina easily gets off track," Kai said.

Suho's forehead wrinkled. "I hope they didn't have any accidents."

"Yeah, like Mina's incident with Ethan," Baekhyun said, remembering the events from a couple days ago.

"Ethan, he wasn't arrested or anything was he?" Kai exclaimed. Everyone's eyes widened upon Kai's reminder.

Luhan mumbled, "It couldn't be him again, could it?"

"If he has Mina and Mi-hyun, then we're in trouble," Kai said.

"Wait. What does this Ethan dude look like?" Luhan questioned. He had never seen Ethan before because he was hurt in bed last time when everyone else met that dark boy.

Sehun paused to recall that shady boy's appearance. "Ethan... he had amber hair with messy blonde streaks."

"That sounds about right..." Luhan muttered to himself. "I saw a guy like that at a park we passed by on bus today. He had two other men with him," he said.

Sehun rubbed his temple. "Oh no... Please don't tell me this is true."

"Let's go tell the teacher and check the park," Suho suggested and everyone nodded.

 

~~~~

 

She was shaking in fear as the two men approached her.

"Hey pretty lady, you looking really appetizing." One buff man with tattoos over his arms reached out and grabbed Mina's hair, the girl struggled against the man but it was no use, he was simply too strong.

The other man tapped his shoulder. "Hey dude, we're given instructions not to touch her," he reminded his friend.

"Fine then," the tattooed man scowled and shoved Mina hard onto the ground. She landed with a thump and quickly looked around, for a chance to run away.

Suddenly, one man looked at me. His eyes went to the area where I hid. My heart stopped as I froze on the spot. The man stared at me and then looked away as if no one was there. Phew... he didn't see me...

"I see you brought my little girlfriend," a voice rang as a younger boy approached, Ethan... This whole robbery was a trap...

"Now pay up and we'll leave," the tattooed man said.

"Hold on, why don't you wait and watch me as I ruin her? Maybe I'll let you try too," Ethan said to the two taller male next to him.

A smile began to form on both men's faces. "Aright, we take the offer," one of them replied.

I watched as Ethan kicked Mina who was lying on the ground like a rag doll. She groaned as he started to curse at her. I was a horrible person, watching my friend as she was being abused. I had to go find help, even if I show up now, I couldn't possibly fight against three men...

Slowly crawling out of my hiding place, I tried to move away as quietly as possible without stepping on any twigs or dried leaves that would make noise. Finally, I slowly stood up as I got away from the bush. But before I could move any further, a hand swiped me by my waist as I was pulled back.

Gasping in horror, I thrashed and kicked, trying to escape from the arms that held tightly onto me. Unfortunately, the person didn't budge. I slowly turned my head to see who it was. I flinched as my eyes met a pair of dark eyes, Ethan. He flashed me a killer smile.

"Where are you going sweetie? Why don't you stay a bit longer? You've been watching for so long," he whispered in my ears, I wrinkled my nose at his cigarette breath. Then I felt his hands roaming around my body, tugging at my clothes.

" OFF!" I yelled and thrashed around even more,

". Be quiet you ," he swore under his breath as he choked me by my neck. It was getting harder to breath, but I didn't stop fighting. Using my last bit of strength, I used my signature move and kneed Ethan in the balls.

Immediately, Ethan released his grip on my neck and backed off in pain. Seeing an opening, I smacked him across his face and darted away as quick as my feet would bring me.

Jumping over branches and bushes, I ran as fast as possible. Footssteps thudded after me. Turning my head to look, I found Ethan just behind me. He was fast and gaining on me while I began to lose my stamina.

Breathing heavily, I exited the dark forest and ran across the empty park, trying to keep our distance until I arrive somewhere where I could call for help. Finally, I was able to reach the traffic lights before Ethan caught up to me.

I quickly ran across the road while the lights were still red. A car honked furiously as it screeched to a stop and I ran past. Finally, there was beginning to be crowds of people up ahead. Fortunately, when I turned around, Ethan was stuck at the lights, blocked by zooming cars.

I decided to head for our hotel where everyone was. Mina was still in the woods alone with two men. I need to call for help. I found a teenage girl around my age on her phone. I ran up to her and tapped her shoulders.

"Excuse me, could I please borrow your phone for a second to call the police, there are weird men chasing me and they caught my friend," I said through my breath and begged her.

The girl looked at me in confusion and nodded. "Um, sure?"

Before I was able to take the phone, a hand grabbed mine and pulled me back. I gasped in shock as Ethan had once again caught me. How did he get to me so quickly?

"Listen babe, I'm sorry, I was a jerk, you don't have to go this far," Ethan said in an apologetic tone and held onto me tightly. The girl just stared at us weirdly, putting her phone back into her pocket.

I reached out to the girl with tears in my eyes. "No, don't leave, he is lying! I don't even know him! Please, call the police. He is trying to kidnap me," I pleaded the girl who quickly walked away from us. I watched as the girl left unable to do anything. Ethan still had his arms tightly wrapped around me.

I thrashed around and cursed him. "Let me go! You bastard, I'll scream if you don't!"

"Be a good girl and come with me. No one will believe what you say. They'll just think it's some stupid drama going on between a couple with my arm around you like this," he whispered.

I opened my mouth and was about to scream when I felt a cold object pressed against my side. My eyes widened as I looked down to find a knife being held against my waist. "Scream, and it won't be pretty," Ethan threatened. He forced me to walk toward the cross lights. I was about to break down. I'm sorry Mina, I tried... I really did... Tears rolled down my cheeks as I walked obediently down the road.

"A toughie like you is crying? Don't be so depressed, spending time with me won't be that bad. Come on, let's go join Mina," Ethan teased me with a smirk on his face.

"No, I don't want to..." I sobbed, but not daring to disobey the man who held a knife against me. He pushed me harshly.

Suddenly, Ethan was pulled away from me and tackled to the ground. His hand loosened and his knife dropped to the hard pavement.

"When a girl says no, she means no," Sehun appeared and pulled me into his chest while Luhan, Baekhyun and Suho held Ethan on the ground. Mina stood beside Kai who held her protectively.

I was very surprised, and relieved to see my friends again. I wiped my eyes and my face.

"Are you okay?" Sehun asked, checking to see if I was hurt anywhere. I nodded and watched Ethan as he struggled underneath the three boys that held him down. Mina and Kai walked up to me. Mina had tear stains on her cheeks. Her eyes were puffy and red.

"Mina! Are you okay? I'm sorry I left you! I was trying to get help and..." Before I could finish speaking, Mina pulled me to a hug.

"It's okay, I know, it was my fault for going into the forest so recklessly," she said and we held tightly onto each other.

Kai came up and patted both of our heads. "Good thing we found you guys on time, or else things could be so much worse."

"How did you even find us?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Well, Luhan said he remembered seeing someone that looked like Ethan at the park. So we came to the park to look for you guys and found Mina. Of course, we called the police who already arrested the two men in the forest," Kai explained.

Speaking of the police, they arrived shortly after and took Ethan away. Mina and I were saved. By the time all the commotions had been dealt with, it was already 7:32 pm. Once we arrived back at the hotel, all the students were gone for dinner except for a teacher who waited for the students to return.

Mina and I got scolded and from that moment on, we were not allowed to leave the teacher's side. Good thing they didn't make any phone calls home... Since we couldn't go to the fancy restaurant for dinner with our classmates anymore, the teacher ordered takeout from a nearby place and we had dinner at the hotel.

Both Mina and I felt bad for worrying everyone and wasting their time, causing them to miss the dinner with the school. We apologized sincerely to all the people before going back to our room.

 

Sitting on the bed with Mina, we talked about the incident that happened today.

 

"Mina, you told everyone you were okay, but I don’t think so," I said.

"I am fine."

"I saw you get beat up."

Mina kept quiet, I knew she was hurt, those kicks Ethan gave her weren't fake. "Let me see your back," I insisted.

She slowly peeled her shirt off, revealing a couple of black and blue bruises. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but they were still pretty visible, and painful to look at.

"I told you I'm fine," Mina said and pulled her shirt back down.

"I don't call that fine," I said and got her some ice packs.

Mina went to bed early, around 8:00 pm before the other students came back. I sat on the bed beside her, reading a book. A soft knock on the door disturbed me from reading. I quickly headed over to see who it was.

Opening the door, I found Luhan standing outside. "Can I come in?"

"Of course, this is your room too, just be quiet, Mina's already asleep," I said and opened the door.

"Oh, she is? Never mind, I'll stay out here," he said and backed away.

"I'll come out with you, I don't want to wake her up, it's been a long day, she went through a lot," I said and followed Luhan out, gently shutting the door behind me. "Where do you want to go?" I asked once we were away from the room.

"How about the deck? It's cool out there and it's empty," Luhan suggested.

So, we went up to the hotel deck and stood by the railing. It was dark already and the moon shone in the night sky, stars twinkled, and I easily spotted the big dipper. A cool breeze blew across the deck, making my hair flow in the wind.

"How are you feeling?" Luhan asked, gazing up at the sky.

I shrugged. "Not too bad, I wasn't the one to receive beating from Ethan."

"Ethan beat Mina?" he questioned in shock.

"Yes... And I couldn't do anything back there. I'm a terrible person," I said and felt my eyes getting watery.

Luhan wrapped an arm around me, pulling me close to him. "It's not your fault... it's okay." I stayed next to him and listened to his comforting words.

"Luhan," I said to my brother.

"Yes?"

"I heard it was you who saw Ethan at the park and told everyone to go there," I said, leaning into his arms, feeling his warmth.

"I just did what I can," he replied softly.

I smiled. "Thank you very much. If it wasn't for you, who knows where Mina and I could have ended up."

"Everyone else helped too, it wasn't just me." Luhan replied modestly. Modestly? When had Luhan ever been modest? It was nice to see him like this.

"I'm so glad you came to this trip," I said quietly.

 

The hallway became noisy once the other students returned from dinner, there were more people coming up to the deck. Luhan and I decided to go back to our room.

Inserting the key card into the lock, a green light flashed and the door buzzed open. Quietly stepping into the room, Luhan and I took our shoes off and walked in. Surprisingly, Mina was awake.

"Why did you guys leave me here?" My best friend asked, pursing her lips.

"Because you need to rest, now get back on that bed and sleep," I said like a mom, forcing Mina back to the bed.

"Okay, but where did you two go without me? What did you guys do?" Mina said with a teasing smile on her face.

I pushed Mina down on the bed. "We talked. Now go to sleep!" She giggled and closed her eyes.

I showered first, once I was out of the washroom with my pajamas on, Luhan went in. Because I didn't want to disturb Mina who was tired and hurt, I sat on Luhan's bed and dried my hair with a towel. Then, I picked up my book and read until Luhan came out from the shower.

He wore only his pajama shorts and his chest was bare. His hair was damp and wet, somehow making him look ier than usual. Ew, what am I thinking?

"Are you sleeping on my bed today?" Luhan asked, sitting down next to me.

"No, I'll move in a moment. I just didn't want to disturb Mina," I replied and proceeded to get off from his bed.

Luhan grabbed my wrist. "If you don't want to disturb Mina, then you should probably sleep here tonight," he said with a serious expression.

He had a good point, it didn't seem like he was joking around. "Alright."

Sitting next to me, Luhan played on his phone while I tried to read, but it was too distracting having a half male next to me, I couldn't concentrate on the book at all.

"Hey Luhan, can you go put on a shirt? You're distracting me," I said, giving him a shove.

Luhan raised his eyebrows. "Distracting you?"

"Yes, go put on a shirt, Mina's here too," I repeated.

"Mi-hyun, you should try sleeping without pajamas, it's liberating, seriously." Although he said it in a serious tone, the look on his face wasn't serious at all. A smile crept to his lips as he tried to suppress it.

"No, you idiot, go turn the lights off, I'm going to sleep now," I said and turned away from him, pulling the blanket up to my neck and closing my eyes.

"Alright, good night."

"Good night."

And the lights went out.

 

~~~~

 

Ring.... Ring... Ring...

I jolted up upon the noise of the ringing phone. Turning around, I reached for it and quickly picked it up.

"Good morning, this is your wakeup call."

"Hm... alright, we're awake," I mumbled and glanced at Mina and who was sleeping like a pig on her bed. Then at Luhan who was next to me, already sitting up. I hung up.

"It's still so early," Luhan said and checked his phone.

I nodded. "Probably because today is the day we pack and leave." Yes, it was the last day, some memorable things happened during this trip, both good and bad, but I would like to go back home to Seoul now.

"Did you pack yet?" Luhan asked.

"Nope, that's what I'm doing right after I wash up," I replied and jumped off the bed to Mina's side.

I pulled at her hair. "Mina, wake up." She turned away. Like usual, it was impossible to wake up the sleeping girl.

"Mina!" I half spoke half shouted, but my existence was being denied by the lazy girl laying on the bed. I sighed and walked to Luhan, "You think you could wake her up?" I asked.

"Let me try," he said with a grin and hopped over to Mina's side.

"Mina... Mina..." He whispered into her ears.

"Go away," the annoyed girl murmured in her sleep.

He looked at her playfully and poked her cheeks. "Wake up or I'm going to you!" He said, waiting for a response from Mina.

"Mm..." As if she didn't hear a word Luhan said, she once again dozed back to sleep.

"Alright, fine then, you decision," Luhan said and her face without hesitating, causing the girl to jump straight up and off her bed. I died while laughing.

 

~~~~

 

After we were all ready to go, we had breakfast at the hotel. Then, we headed for the train station. It was a busy Friday morning, there was a little traffic, but overall, the trip was smooth.

We boarded the train at the train station and journeyed our way back to Seoul.

Looking out at the beautiful villages zooming by, I thought back at all the things that had happened during this trip. The time in this unfamiliar place had really made me grow up. I could never look at the world the same way as I did before. I was sure Mina felt this way too…

Goodbye Busan!