Single (Songfic)

One Shots Collated

Kevin stepped into the bar. It had been so long, two to three years maybe, since he last visited one. The smell made him a little dizzy, just like the first time.

-

Everybody in the club right now
Tell the DJ to turn it loud
Dedicate man your favorite song
Single ladies you can't go wrong

-

The volume of the song playing was a lot louder than Kevin had remembered it to be. Or maybe Kevin just wasn’t used to it. He spent three years quietly living in a dream, three years dedicated to Eli, and only Eli.

Yet, when heads turned and dances stopped, Kevin knew that he loves that feeling.

“This song goes out to all single ladies : Have fun and get drunk! As a special, our bar is giving way free cocktails to the single ladies! So if you’re single and a girl, dance your way to the counter!” The voice of the DJ overpowered the music playing.

Kevin had an idea as he heard the words that were said through the loudspeaker. Somehow, he didn’t feel like paying to get wasted. He surveyed his surroundings and saw that there was a man and a bartender, chatting. If he couldn’t pass off as a girl, he could try to see if his charms still work. Though the man might most probably be scared off...

He then walked towards the unsuspecting duo.

“Hey babe.” The bartender greeted, and the man he was talking to turned to acknowledge his presence. “Want some free cocktail? We have quite a supply. It’s okay if you’re a guy, since I’m sure there wouldn’t be a crowd for such a sudden giveaway.”

Kevin pouted. Way too easy. “But I’m not in the mood for cocktail. Is martini on the house?”

The man beside him finally spoke up.

“Single?”

-

If you came here by yourself tonight
Cause he wouldn't pick up the phone
He was supposed to bring you here tonight
Couldn't find him so you came alone

-

Kevin sighed, causing the other to instinctively lean in, anticipating a story.

“For tonight.”

“Give him what he wants.” The man grinned at the bartender, then turning to him with the same cute expression. “On me.”

Kevin thanked the other with a smile, and somehow really wanted to tell the other the reason why he was alone, noticing his previous curiousity. He had kept it all in for three awfully long years, but today was different.

“It’s okay if you guys think I’m weird and all since I get that a lot, but I’m gay.” Kevin shot straight to the point.

“I’m Kibum. “ The man joked, causing the three of them to erupt into laughter.

“And I’m the bartender, some call me “Hey!”” The bartender chuckled. “Seriously speaking, people should really stop minding businesses of others’ because their own lives are probably more screwed up.”

“Couldn’t agree more.” Kibum high-fived the bartender. Kevin gave an appreciative smile.

“You should smile more.” Kibum said mindlessly.” Your smile is beautiful, but you don’t seem to mean it.”

“You see it?” Kevin mentally reminded himself to check his smile when he get his hands on a mirror. “As I was saying, I met this man through a friend who wanted the both of us, to well, be friends. But I fell in love at first sight, and fortunately, he loved me back. We got together after he gathered his guts and thickened his skin to confess to me.”

“You could have confessed first.” Kibum pointed out.

“But I’m quite shy.” Kevin sheepishly said. “The point is, we got together, but even in the first year, the situation was already like today.”

“Always alone?” The bartender asked.

“Hey! There’s an order over here!”

The bartender turned to see where the voice was coming from before turning back to Kevin. “My name is heard. But you can continue speaking to Kibummie, I’ll come back later and try to catch up.”

Kevin immediately felt awkward. It was fine telling something so personal to two strangers, but just to one...Kevin didn’t have a lot of time to think, because Kibum repeated the bartender’s question.

“Yeah.” Kevin nodded. “He was really nice to me in the first few months, but I guess that’s how things always become.”

Kevin then said of how hard it was to get in contact with Eli (without saying his name, obviously), and when the line finally got through, he would be busy with either his business or family matters. Wow, God knows how many matters had accumulated over the years. Eli also gets easily angered by minor things, like how Kevin whined a little on how Eli forgotten his birthday that was two weeks ago, during their first year together. Subsequent years, Kevin just didn’t bother, neither did Eli. But really, was it too much to ask for a birthday greeting?

“No.” Kibum’s voice was firm, so was his grip on Kevin’s shoulders. He pulled Kevin into an embrace and rubbed soothing circles on the other’s back. “Don’t cry. I don’t know how to make you feel better, but please don’t cry.”

-

It don't matter cause you're here now
And the music you're enjoying
So for the next couple minutes
Baby I'm-a be your boyfriend

-

“I’m fine, maybe just a little emotional, but I didn’t come here to cry my life away.” Kevin gave a weak smile as he pulled away. He immediately regretted it though, because he was already missing the warmth.

“That’s right, forget him for today.” Kibum encouraged.

They then moved on, this time talking about Kibum’s life. Kevin found out that the other man was a year older than him, and he was a homoual too. That’s the only reason why he bought Kevin a drink, because he was single “for the night”. Kibum usually patronizes the bar, because the bartender he was talking to was always so nice to him, even though he was a gay and the other was not.

“But no, I don’t like him that way.”

Kevin suddenly felt blessed while listening to Kibum’s story. He wasn’t forced to be a closet gay because of a family enterprise, which means having to work with business partners who dislike people straying away from the norm.

They fell into a comfortable silence, as each savoured their own drink.

Kibum suddenly perked up when the next song started playing. “Look at your pretty tear-stained face, let me make you smile tonight. This song is one of my favourites, come dance with me?”

Kibum offered a hand, and Kevin took it with a smile.

-

Pretty mama if you're single, single
You don't gotta be alone tonight
So while the DJ play this single, single
Just pretend that I'm your man tonight

-

The both of them walked towards the dance floor, with Kibum’s hand finding a comfortable spot around Kevin’s waist. Kevin chose not to think about how much close contact they were having for strangers who met for the first time that night, instead moving in to the gentle touch.

When they reached a spot on the dance floor, Kevin did a half turn towards Kibum, before realising that he didn’t know what exactly he should do.

Kibum must have seen Kevin’s hesitation, because he circled his other hand around Kevin’s slim body and pulled him close. He leaned close to Kevin’s right ear and whispered loud enough to be heard over the music. “Don’t think, it’s your only chance. Don’t worry, I wouldn’t tell.”

Kevin bit his lower lip. Although Kibum found out and addressed his fears, he didn’t want to make use of Kibum to be a replacement for Eli. He pulled away, mumbling a “sorry” as he was ready to leave.

“Don’t go.” Kibum pulled Kevin back, hands a lot tighter around Kevin, desperation in his voice. “It’s been years since my second boyfriend decided I was ashamed of him and left me. Please stay for me?”

Kevin nodded as he caressed the older’s face, wanting the sorrow in those dark orbs to disappear. “Bring me closer? I think I’m cold.”

Kibum chuckled. “You think?”

“Maybe I am.” Kevin grinned, feeling accomplished. It’s been years since he made someone smile, because Eli never gave him that charming smile he fell in love with anymore.

-

Said you don't gotta be alone, I'll be your boyfriend
Said you don't gotta be alone, girl I'll be your boyfriend
Said you don't gotta be alone, baby I'll be your boyfriend
Be your boyfriend till the song goes out x 2

-

The two swayed together, along with the beat of the song as Kevin’s hands went around Kibum’s neck, and Kibum placed his on Kevin’s hips.

They danced in comfortable silence and ignored whatever looks that were casted on them.

Kibum didn’t say, but his eyes took their time to appreciate the beauty Kevin was. The way the other’s eyes had strings attached to his soul, pulling him closer. The mind-blowing figure that allowed his arms to coil around the younger’s waist easily. The pink lips that he couldn’t wait to press down against.

But no, Kevin wasn’t his.

Never, his.

Kibum needed to take his mind off the pretty boy, so he looked around to force his eyes away. Acting natural, he decided to mock the normal couples in his own way. “What do you say of us mimicking all these couples?”

“Sounds fun.” Kevin giggled, looking at the nearest couple Kibum was already staring at. Kibum couldn’t ignore that delightful voice that tickled his ears so playfully. It was going to be hard forgetting him.

The other couple’s man’s arms were circled round the girl, and the girl had her hands on both sides of her boyfriend’s shoulders. Her head rested on his left shoulder. The image looked slightly awkward, but blissful nevertheless.

Kibum tightened his already vise like grip, while Kevin leaned on Kibum’s shoulder and let his right arm go around the taller man’s neck to link with his other hand naturally.

Kibum smiled at the younger boy’s head, taking in the fragrant hairwash the other uses. Why was Kevin so obedient? It made him regret that he didn’t meet the angel before him earlier, before he was ripped off of his amazing heart stopping smile.

-

He don't tell you that you're beautiful
Let me tell it to you to the beat
He don't tell you that he loves you, girl
Let me sing it in a harmony

-

“Kev, has anyone ever, ever told you that you are,” Kibum paused as he moved towards the beat, giving his words a rhythm. “Stunningly beautiful, ravishingly adorable and so gorgeously dazzling that I can’t keep my eyes off you?”

Kevin blushed, staring at the glistening floor from his position on Kibum’s shoulder. The glitter on the floor looked as if they were the stars in the sky, shining brightly back into Kevin’s eyes.

“And baby, I love you.” The lyrics of the song was made louder by Kibum’s sweet vocal.

It was true, it was real, and it was love at first sight. Kibum knew that much, and he knew he that he could only keep it in. Kevin wouldn't trust love at first sight again.

But Kevin brought his hopes up, when he gave that small, shy smile.

-

Let my song get you higher (higher)
We never have to come back down
And if ever you should miss me
Just have the DJ run it back, now

-

“Don't stop singing, you sound incredibly wonderful.” Kibum nodded and acceded to the younger boy's request.

Kevin shifted closer. He currently doesn't care. He could lose this man tomorrow, but right now, he needed Kibum nearer, he needed Kibum like a drug. Addiction is next, but fate would force him to quit. Nevermind, at least he once tasted the state of euphoria, he wasn't going to regret this.

Kibum sang with the song, while Kevin shut his eyes to memorise the older's voice. Raising a hand to caress Kevin's soft cheeks, he caused Kevin to opened his eyes halfway and moaned softly. Was he enjoying this as much as Kibum did? Is Kevin feeling the pity Kibum feels as soon as he thinks of the next day, when this moment will be nothing more than a mere experience with a stranger?

Kibum groaned when he saw Kevin easily becoming breathless, leaning into his hand. Kevin loved how Kibum was gentle with his touches, as if he mattered. Eli had always been pretty rough with him, wanting to be the ultimate seme. But Kibum was different, in an exhilarating way. He seemed to be able to read Kevin's mind, knowing that the younger boy wanted nothing more than tender loving care. And that thought made him inched closer to insanity.

Kevin was getting high. He blamed the martini, he blamed Kibum, for making him feel this way.

“You're getting high, baby.” Kibum noticed as Kevin broke into fits of giggles, rubbing against him uncomfortably.

“Is it a bad thing?” Kevin giggled and lifted his head to peck Kibum's lips.

Kibum's eyes widened to its maximum, obviously shocked. Kevin was drunk, the older one then decided it was an acceptable behaviour. He kind of liked the feeling of Kevin's lips on his, anyway.

“Kibummie-hyunggg!” Kevin whined adorably. “Be my boyfriend.”

Oh, how much he would love that. Kevin's mind wasn't clear, and Kibum wasn't the kind to take advantage of it and force his way through to make it true. As if to pacify Kevin, he smiled and nodded.

“Yes, I will.”

The song Kibum was singing fitted the scene perfectly. It was love at first sight, but it could only last for three minutes and fifty three seconds.

“Kiss me, I want you to kiss me.” Kevin breathed into Kibum's ears. “Touch me, in not-so-innocent ways, the way you would touch your boyfriend.”

Kibum chose not to think too much about what Kevin said, instead granting his first request. Tilting his head towards Kevin's pink, plump ones and pressing softly against it, he felt needy and greedy. He yearned for more, and almost, almost smirked when he felt Kevin's tongue sliding across his lower lip.

Lustful mouths crashed into one another and Kibum felt Kevin metaphorically melting in his arms. The younger boy allowed Kibum to be in full control, and Kibum toned down the force he was using, careful not to bruise the younger's beautiful and tempting lips.

-

Said you don't gotta be alone, I'll be your boyfriend
Said you don't gotta be alone, girl I'll be your boyfriend
Said you don't gotta be alone, baby I'll be your boyfriend
Be your boyfriend till the song goes out

-

Kibum heard some murmurings and immediately released his grip about Kevin when he felt the younger boy pulling away. Kibum was fully allowing Kevin to have second thoughts, even if it meant a heartbreak and their unfinished kiss lingering on Kibum's lips.

“Gays should be ashamed and go home.” A sharp whisper made Kibum angry, as he saw how the comment caused Kevin to watch the floor, afraid to look up.

Kevin seemed to suddenly become clear-headed, glancing at Kibum sadly. “I'm sorry, it must have ruined your image. There might have been businessmen around, I-“

Kibum silenced Kevin with a quick kiss and gave him a smile of assurance. “I only care about what you think and feel. Isn't that what a boyfriend should do?”

Kevin guiltily turned away.

“It's okay, only for tonight baby. Tomorrow, we will both treat this as a dream. It might be a nightmare for you, but it would be the sweetest dream I haven't had in years.”

Kevin shook his head so fast Kibum had to calm him down, placing hands on the younger boy's shoulders. “I love today’s night, you brought me out of hell and flew me up to heaven. Without you, I'd be lonely today.”

Without you, I wouldn't feel so alive.

Without you, I wouldn't remember what love felt like.


Kibum smiled. "Then I'll be your boyfriend..."

-

Be your boyfriend till the song goes out

-

"Till the sun goes down."