Building a House

One Shots Collated

When Kevin was still a baby (even more than Dongho ever could be), he got what he wants, no matter what he wanted. He wanted sweets, sure, he would get them. From fans, family, friends, many sweets came piling in. He wanted hugs, not a problem, he gets them even if he didn’t signal that he did want them. He wanted kisses, definitely, all over his face (and his “faces” on posters, albums, even television screens).

And no one fought with him for what he wanted. Usually it’s something everyone can share, like love, more attention, more smiles directed at him, more fans holding his signboards.

And then Kibum had to intrude his heart, build a sturdy house and live in there.

It obviously made perfect sense for Kevin to want Kibum to stay in there forever. But love isn’t a one way thing. Kevin wanted to enter Kibum’s heart, build a pretty and white two-level house with a balcony and a garden. Best if they could grow red roses and sunflowers too, their house would look stunning. Not to forget an adorable picket fence painted in baby blue, with short gates they can cross over easily, just to beautify their home. It would be hard work, but Kevin figured Kibum would be there to help.

Kevin was really nice. He was probably the nicest guy out there, forgetting that Kibum ever left him, ignoring him completely.

”I don’t want to hurt us both. I love you too but I’m selfish, you’re selfish, and we’re both selfish. I want something more than this, you like what you currently have, so we should go on our separate ways.” Kibum reasoned out with a sigh.

“Call me?” Kevin tried, eyes filled with warm tears ready to fall.

“No.” Kibum bit his lower lip. “Until we’re more mature. Heck, you’re only fifteen. We have time ahead of us, so let’s cool down first. Don’t let burning passion blow our minds away.”

“What if we never meet again?” Kevin sobbed, clutching on Kibum’s hoodie desperately. “What if I never get to have you by my side again?”

“Then maybe, we weren’t fated to begin with.”


So he smiled. The second he saw Kibum once again, he smiled. Kibum chuckled at that smile, choking a little on his tears, but he wiped the tears away before they slid down his cheeks. Kevin didn’t notice, but nevermind that.

”Maybe we are fated, fated to meet again.” Kevin sighed dreamily, playing with Kibum’s fingers as his head rested on the older’s shoulder, moving them as if they were the strings attached to a puppet.

“I think so too.” Kibum smiled, kissing Kevin’s soft hair, before raising the younger’s head to peck his lips gently. “Did you blame me for being heartless?”

“I trusted us.” Kevin smiled, turning to look up into the sky. “Are we more mature now?”

“I don’t know, but I sure do hope so.”


Kevin was building, working on the house’s structure when one day, another man joined him and asked if he could help. Kevin was nice, and thus he smiled and agreed. He told the man he could build the other half of the house while he did his side. He didn’t realise though, that the other man was building a bigger and steadier house than he was.

”Kibum-hyung! Come over to my house to play?” Kiseop asked as he poked Kibum’s ribs.

“Ouch.” Kibum rubbed his ribs and nodded slightly. “Mm.”

“Yay! I’ll buy your favourite food for dinner then!”

“What do I do then?” Kevin cocked his head to a side as he tugged Kibum’s sleeve, smiling prettily.

“I don’t know, don’t you have schedules later?” Kibum raised his eyebrows for a second before standing up. “Bye.”


Kevin didn’t like it anymore. Sharing his territory, that is. He went to Kiseop’s side of the house and frowned.

“Don’t build anymore. I decided I don’t want to share.”

“Well, what should I do? I’m doing such a good job I don’t want to stop either.” Kiseop shrugged, continuing hammering nails into the floor.

“Stop! You’ll hurt him!” Kevin glared at the slightly older male.

“Kevin, sweet innocent Kevin.” Kiseop smirked. “You don’t know what foundation is, isn’t it? Your delicate hammering will get you nowhere, you’ll see.”


Kevin didn’t really understand, until an earthquake came, knocking out his pretty side of the house, leaving Kiseop’s side, albeit not so pretty, standing steadily. Kevin’s eyes were b with tears, depressed that all his efforts have gone to waste. Where did that earthquake come from, anyway?

And when all words fail to stop Kiseop, Kevin decided maybe he shouldn’t be so nice.

One day, before all members reached where they were, they stood in silence. There was a distance between them, a tall barrier in the way, and the two acted as if they hadn’t seen the other.

Now, Kevin’s all grown up. Not young like before, no longer a child.

“Don’t underestimate me, don’t mess with me.” Dongho says it best.

He wouldn’t let that insensitive jerk ignore his love again.

What better chance when Team Kiss has to kiss Team U on the forehead, during one of their shows? Kevin quickly claimed his Kibum, and Alexander and Dongho could choose who they want for all he cares.

He smiled lovingly at Kibum and pushed out his lips, all ready to kiss Kibum’s lips. Kibum groaned and tried to hold Kevin back, although the younger one was coming onto him with full force.

“If I were Kiseop, you’d let me kiss you, wouldn’t you?” Kevin asked with a smile that never reached his eyes.

“No, it’s just that I’m not going to let you dominate me.” Kibum said quietly before slightly pushing Kevin off him, standing up to complain about Kevin making kissy sounds, probably against the rules. He didn’t say about Kevin wanting to kiss his lips when he was supposed to kiss the forehead, though.

Kevin pouted and tried to argue otherwise, but their team lost that challenge anyway.

After broadcast, Kibum s a hand around Kevin’s waist, pulling him in for a kiss. “Someone’s growing up a little too fast for my liking.”

“What?”

“Learnt jealousy already? I wouldn’t let Kiseop kiss me if it wasn’t a joke. I wouldn’t let you kiss me even if it’s a joke.” Kevin glared dangerously at Kibum. “That’s my job.”

“Jerk.” Kevin rolled his eyes and couldn’t stop his smile. “I missed you.”

It didn’t matter what reply Kibum came up with, Kevin was just happy Kibum came with a demolition machine to demolish Kiseop’s side of the house, hiring people to help Kevin learn how to properly build a house.

“Don’t be afraid to hammer.”

Kevin nodded, worked on his project and ended up with the house he liked, albeit the work looks a bit raw. Nevermind, at least now, the foundation was deeply rooted. Other things can be worked on some other time.

They shall just enjoy toasted caramel corn snacks together right now. Something sweet, a little too sweet sometimes, some saltiness in the aftertaste, the way it melts, but best only when they’re sharing it.

Something like love, maybe?

-

 Lala, 24 subscribers and 3 commenters! <3!