TCL 22: The Surprise

This Cruel Life.

POV
I : Jiyeon's
II : Sehun's


I.

            Finished talking to Yongguk at the café, I excuse myself to go to the washroom while he went straight up to the office. While finishing my business in the toilet, just right on time, my phone is ringing. Great and good plus wonderful job to that ing caller for calling at this time. I mean, I can’t be picking up call right now, right? This toilet, when I talk, it is drone.

            “Hello?” but I end up picking up since it’s Qri unnie.

            “Jiyeon-ah!” Qri unnie scream out my name when she doesn’t need to do that, but why so sudden? There must be something happen. “Ji Hoon. I’m not sure whether it’s kidnapping or strolling but he is not at the kindergarten. Someone who confesses to be my husband, pick him up and I don’t know where to look for him. Ji Hoon didn’t pick up my call, instead he rejects it,” she said in one breath.

            “Chen didn’t pick him up today?” I ask. Trying to think positively since I’m getting on my nerves as well. Ji Hoon-ah, where could you have been? Who did you follow carelessly?

            “No,” she said. Darn!

            “Okay, calm down. Try to call Chen, Mina and Jieun first. Maybe they ask their friends to pick Ji Hoon up? Don’t think negatively. I’m sure Ji Hoon will be fine. I want to find him but I have meeting to attend and it’s important. I’m so sorry, unnie!” I apologize, comforting her down.

            “Arasso! I’ll call them first,” she said and hung up. I  put my phone on the sink, sigh heavily and push my front hair to the back, frustrated. Everything is going on so bad! I turn the tap and wash my hands. Drying my hand, I took back my phone and walk out of the washroom.

            On my way to the lift, I try calling Ji Hoon’s number but couldn’t get through. Aish, unnie! How can you let a five years old boy using a smart phone? You should’ve just bought him a flip phone. It’s easier for him to pick up the call. Failed to get through Ji Hoon, I tried calling Chen.

            “Hello? Jongdae-ah,” as soon as he answers the call. “Did you know yet? About Ji Hoon?” I ask him directly.

            “I know,” he said, sounding so calmly.

            “You’re not worried?” I ask. And the only thing he replied is an ‘Hmm’. “How can you not? I mean, she’s your noona’s son and damn, you’re so close to that young buddy! I just don’t get it? Are you in your right state of mind?” I scold him for being so in a relaxing mood.

            “Done with your lecture?” was the thing he asks.

            “Yes,” I said.

            “Can you stop with the worrying? He’s safe. Ji Hoon is safe. If he is not safe, you know that I’m going to be the first person to step into the police station. Not even his mother, but me! He is with someone who he wanted to meet for a long time, so blow the worries off and stop calling me! I’m in a meeting right now, you darn girl!” he scold me back and hung up.

            Damn it, Kim Jongdae!

            Calling me a darn girl?

            You’re so rude!

            I sigh heavily and walk out of the café. Ji Hoon is meeting someone who he wanted to meet for a long time? Who could it be? Who is that precious rather than his own mother for a five years old boy like him? I wonder who. But, let’s just focus on my meeting first since Chen said he's going to be fine and at this time, I need to trust him.

 

Meeting room

            “For willing coming here, I thank you, Miss Park,” Lawyer Yoon, whom I last met about 8 months ago said, along with the Oh couple. Oh, the family that I left his son. He really kept his promise to Jieun. He never comes to meet me again after the hospital scene.

            “I’m glad to be here anyway,” I said. “Anyway, what was the meeting about? You sound so desperately making me coming here in a short time when I’m so busy with works right now, Lawyer Yoon,” I ask, not knowing the purpose of the meeting yet.

            “Well, it’s regarding the will. Is it true you’re turning 25 this year, Miss Park?” Lawyer Yoon asks. I nod. “Yes, so it’s the right time to read the second will. And it’s getting the perfect time because this will is suppose to be read after one year of your mother’s leaving,” he said.

            “Second will? What is all this about? I never knew that there is a second will? Whose will?” I ask. He smiles to my questions attack session.

            “Calm down, Miss Park. It’s your mother’s will. She wrote the will right after your father’s and she requested the will to be read with Oh’s family to be here together with you and a year after her death. It’s about her intention from a long time ago and the property your father left her,” Lawyer Yoon explains. Mummy, please not let it be a weird intention such as arrange marriage!

            “Isn’t her property is mine now? I mean, it’s automatically mine when she also died the moment daddy die, right? Or do I hear it wrong?” I ask again, for confirmation.

            “Yes it’s true. But, that’s your father’s property. This is your mother’s,” he said. I look at him, frowning. “Should I read it now?” I nod. Giving him the permission to reads out the will. Somehow, I feel uncomfortable to hear mummy’s will along this Oh’s family.

           

Dear my lovely baby dino Jiyeonnie,

            When this letter is read to you, so it means that I’ve left this world. And I’m watching you from heaven. I hope my baby is doing well without mummy. And I hope my baby is getting stronger and can accept the fact that mummy isn’t by your side anymore. Baby, I’m sorry for leaving you so early. But, it’s God’s will. God loves mummy more. I’m not saying that He doesn’t love you, but He wanted to test you. How much you can withstand His test.

Anyway baby,

            While listening to this letter, I really want to cherish the moment of how you were happy back then when we’re on a trip to Jinhae for the first time. Since then, you always wanted to go there. And for your information, I bought a chalet in Jinhae that we used to spend our time before. So that, when I’m gone and you miss me, you can go there spending your time. It’s not much than what daddy left you, but I hope you like it. Jiyeon-ah, if by the time this letter is read daddy is still with you, please take a good care of him. You never know that he is suffering from tuberculosis, aren’t you? Yes, we never told you that. But, since I left, I want you to take a good car of him.

Jiyeon my daughter,

            My last intention on writing this letter is because you probably have reach your 25 or maybe more and I hope you’re not married yet. I’ve requested to Lawyer Yoon to bring mummy and daddy’s two bestfriend to hear out the letter right? Yes, I hope them to be your mother and father-in-law. It means, you have to get married to their only son. I forgot his name but you can ask them, okay? Hehehe~ But, if you’re married at the time, it’s fine. It’s just my intention. I don’t want to force you if you have another lover at the time too. It’s just my intention, right? But, if you could marry him, it would be better.

            Finally, to be a mother to such a good girl like you is really a praises to me. I’m so glad that you were born. I’m so glad to have you in my life. I hope that you will live your life better now and then. Don’t be sad that I leave, because I believe, we will meet again. In heaven.

            Continue to be a good girl darling. Mummy loves you. With all my heart.

Lovely,
Mummy

          “That’s all,” Lawyer Yoon ends his reading. My tears drop while he was reading the letter. She left me such a heartbreaking letter and how could she end her letter with asking me to get married? Aigoo mummy! How can you throw me back into a shark mouth when I just escape from them?

            “Miss Park,” Mr. Oh calls my name. I look at him. “I hope you be patient. I know you’re hurt by the letter and the request, but we won’t force you into the marriage. You can make your own decision,” he said, agreed by Mrs. Oh.

            “I…I don’t know. I couldn’t get into this marriage but it’s mummy’s will. Mummy was hoping for this. Mummy, why did you get me into trouble? Out of all guy, why him? The one who hit you. Why? Why?!” I scream out of frustration.

            “Hit them? My son?” Mrs. Oh gasp.

 


II.

            It’s been a long time since I last see this face in front of me. It’s kind of  shocking news to have her call me and asking me to meet when she was the one who requested to never meet again after at the hospital. But, seeing her right now is totally different. Not because she is wearing her shades for the first time in front of me, but her personality. It’s totally different when I last met her. She turns into the cold and arrogant Jiyeon again. Just like how I first met her.

            “So, after a long time, what’s up?” I ask, breaking the silence within us. She pulls of her Dolce & Gabbana shades and put it on the table. That eyes. That two eyes that I’ve been longing for all this while. I admit it, I miss her like crazy. But, I wonder, if she felt the same as me?

            “I heard that you’re getting married?” she asks. What? No. I didn’t ‘what’ myself because I don’t know about the marriage since mummy called me just half an hour ago to inform this to me. I ‘what’ myself because, how did she know? I mean, I just knew about that half an hour ago and the woman that I haven’t met for a year already know the news?

            “Yes,” I answer her. Totally clueless of what’s going on.

            “So, you do know your future spouse?” she asks again. I frown myself. I still don’t get it. How do this classy and elegant woman knew about I’m getting married? I am totally clueless. I need an explanation. But, it is clearly shown that I won’t be getting any explanation at this hour.

            “No. I don’t know who my future spouse is. In fact, I just knew about this arrange marriage about half an hour ago. What a surprised that you know too! Mind to tell me where did you get the information?” calmly, I answer her question. She smirks.

            “From my mother,” she said. Confusing! What kind of drama she’s trying to convey?

            “She’s dead. You don’t kid around,” I told her. She smirks again.

            “I’m not. In fact, when late mummy told me the shocking news, your parents are with me. I suppose you get what I mean? You’re not too young to not understand right?” she said. Wait. I think I get it. Before mummy and daddy left, they said they were going for the reading of a will.

            “Am I getting married to you?” I ask. To confirm things.

            “Sadly, yes,” she said. Somehow, I feel butterflies in my tummy. I want to smile to express my gratitude to her late mother but I’m afraid that will hurt her. I can tell she is not pleased with this decision. She doesn’t look happy at all.

            “You can-,”

            “What? Reject you if I want to? Is that what you want to say? Did you and your parents ever that this is my mother’s request? My mother’s will? Have you ever think about that? Simply saying I can reject you if I want to. Yes, I can. But, if the situation is in the opposite way, would you do that?” she scold me. She never stops being sensitive when it comes to her parents.

            “I don’t mean like that. We can get married if you want to but, if you’re feeling hard, we can postpone,” I told her, calming her down. She sighs heavily.

            “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scold you or what. It’s just that, it’s too sudden. How can we get married when we don’t even know about each other, right?” she said, after taking a deep breath. Did you really think like that? Is it really because we don’t know each other?

            “It’s up to you really. For me, we can learn about each other after marrying. But, decision is all on yours. After you made up your mind, you can give me a call anytime. Really, anytime. I’ll come to you right away,” I told her.

            She nods. And stand.

            Excusing herself. She left me.

            Alone again.

            Just like how the night she left me alone at the café when she found out the truth.

            The truth about her parent’s death.