TCL 12: The Sad Past

This Cruel Life.

           It’s been a week since the kiss incident and I haven’t met him since then. It is good this way. I don’t have to meet him. I don’t need to meet him either. Well, I don’t have any reason to meet him. He was just burdening me. I’m so embarrassed. How could he kiss me so sudden? No, no. It’s not that I’m saying he should tell me if he wants to kiss. But…aish! He really shouldn’t kiss me!

             “Miss Park,” someone called. I’m startled. The pen I’m holding fly to the floor. It’s flying okay. Look how I’m so immersed with my thoughts. Wake up, Park Jiyeon!

            “Yes, Yongguk?” I ask him. Smiling to him so that he won’t suspect me anything. Trying to avoid from getting caught that I’m not focusing on my work. But, he widened his eyes. Looking so shocked. “Why? What’s wrong?” I ask again.

             “Did you just smile?” he asks me. I touch my face. Did I just smile? Really? “Seriously. I saw you smiling just now. This is the first time,” he said, cheering. I blink my eyes several times. Looking down and smile again. Showing my teeth. I must have gone crazy.

                Your smile is so pretty. Smile always.

              Suddenly, I remembered his words. Did my smile really look pretty? Is he saying the truth? Why do I feel the butterflies in my stomach? Why do I liking it so much when I remembered his words when he’s saying in that manner?

               “Yongguk-ah,” I called him while he was typing something on the iPad. He looks at me. “When I smile, do I look pretty?” I ask him. He smile and nods.

               “So pretty. You should smile always starting from now,” he said, smiling.

               “Really?” I said, smiling so happily to myself while touching my cheeks. Should I start smiling from now on? Will mummy and daddy like it if I start smiling again? Will they fell happy that I smile again? Will they?

              “Mr. and Mrs. Park would really like it and happy if they see her daughter smile again like before. I am very sure about that,” Yongguk suddenly said. He really knows what I’m thinking.

              “You think so?” I ask. He nods. “Okay then, I’ll try to smile a lot after this. Anyway, Yongguk-ah. Don’t call me Miss Park again after this. Just call me Jiyeon since we’re the same age. Okay?” I ask him. He looks at me in disbelief.

                "Can I really do that?” he asks. I nod. “O..okay then. As you wish,” he said.

               “Good,”

              “If there’s nothing else, I’ll go out first,” he said, excusing himself. I nod.

 


             Why did everything I’m trying to create seems went all wrong? Why can’t I do what I imagine to do? Why I can’t make some miracles to happen? I hate how I’m so not creative like my brother. He only did a little and a miracle happens. Why can’t I be him?

Sae gudu singo gwaenhi
jjarbeun chimal ibeo bwado

 

            My y ringtone, Miniskirt by AOA is heard. I walk lazily to my office table and look on the screen to who’s calling. It’s so rare to see her calling, but there must be something she wants to ask. I swipe the call icon on my iPhone and put on my ear.

            “Mina-ah, why?” I ask right after answering her call.

            “Are you busy?” she asks me back. I sigh heavily.

            “Not really. I was just sketching my new drawing for the new handbags collection. But, I’m so in big trouble. I don’t have any idea how to design. It’s been more than a month since I release the last handbag,” I told her.

            “Do you want my help?” she offered a help. I think for a while.

            “Do you have any idea?” I ask her.

            “Not really. But, we can have a look at the shopping mall for the new trend of handbags. Do some survey and then we can combine all the ideas from our survey to make one impressive design for your new handbag,” she said. Brilliant! Why can’t I think like her before? “So how?” she asks when she heard nothing from me.

            “Why don’t we give it a try?” I said, smiling. “Anyway, is that why you called? How did you know if I’ in trouble? Oh no! Don’t tell me Chen asks you to check on me, am I right?” I said, hastily. Accusing her to be Chen’s eyes and checking all my activities.

            I heard her chuckling. “Aniyo,” she said. “I want to ask whether you’re busy or not since I want to ask you to accompany me to buy some props for my new musical stage,” she said. As expected from a young musical director, our Kwon Mina-shi. Always get ready for something that might be burdening for her later.

            “Oh, I think I can. Since I’m going to make a survey too. Did Chen will be following us?” I ask her just in case. I’m so not going with her to the mall if he’s following. That annoying brother.

            “Nope. He said he is busy right now with his new script. The film director keeps asking him to finish it earlier than the due date. I was about to ask Jiyeon, but she must be busy with works. And I couldn’t get through Qri unnie’s phone. That’s why I ask you. But, I’m afraid that you’ll be busy too, that’s why I called first,” she explained.

            “No, no. I’m not. So, where do we meet? Or, should I pick you up? Since it’s better to go with one car. We can have a chit chat besides saving the petrol,” I said. Yes, my parents are rich, but that does not mean that we need to waste our money.

            “Sure. I’m at my rehearsal hall right now. Give me a call once you’re arrived,” she said.

            “Okay,” I said and hung up.

            I clean my desk and put all the handbags design in one file. Then, I took my handbag along with the file I put my design in before going out to my car. Before I left, I order my workers to take care of the boutique and I won’t be back again after going out. After that, I left to Mina’s rehearsal hall.

            Arriving to Mina’s place, I immediately give her a call. I only waited for about 10 minutes before she comes out. I drive straight to the place that we’re heading for, the mall.

            “What are you buying?” I ask her who’s busying looking through the clothes hanging on the rack. She looks at me a glance and smile.

            “I’m looking for a dress. It’s for my main female character. Her role is a bit strong but feminine. So, I find it hard to find her a dress. I cannot make her wear pink because it’s too girlish. I was thinking purple, but it’s too dark. Light purple doesn’t suit her,” she said while looking through the dress.

            “Why don’t you try gold? It looks classy but it doesn’t show her soft side or so strong side like when you wear her with a black,” I suggest to her. She looks at me, frowning.

            “Wow! Why I can’t think of that? Wears gold? Sounds like a brilliant idea. Thank you, Jieun-ah. But, they don’t have gold here,” she said. I look at the dresses hanging. She’s right. There is no gold dress hanging on the rack.

            “Let’s take a look at another shop first. If we couldn’t find it, we will think of another way,” I said. She nods, agreeing. We were just about to walk out of the shop when Mina bumps into someone. They both look at each other.

            “Mina?” the guy that Mina bumped into called. Mina looks so shocked. It can be shown by her expression. I look at the guy. Looks familiar but I couldn’t recall who.

            “Mina-ah,” I called her. She looks at me, startled.

            “Let’s go,” Mina said, pulling my hand away. But then, the guy she bumped into pulled her hand. She stopped walking but she didn’t look behind to that guy.

            “Kwon Mina, right? It’s been a long time,” the guy said. Mina suddenly let go of my hand and look behind angrily. Her expression looks so dark unlike before when she was looking for the dress. She looks so fine and happy.

            “Let go please,” she said to the guy. He let go of her hand.

            “How you’ve been?” the guy asks.

            “I’m so fine. How you and Choa unnie been?” she asks. Sounds so sarcastically. It’s been such a long time since I last saw this side of Mina. So long. When she said the name ‘Choa’, I just remembered of something.

 

Flashback

                “Jieun-ah, you want to know something?” Mina suddenly pounce me from behind while I was reading a book at the college’s café. I look at her, frowning. She took a sit happily beside me.

                  “What is it?” I ask her, closing my book and put it on the table.

                 “I made it! The lecturer let me lead the musical that will be held on the Drama & Film Festival Day! I’m so excited! I can’t wait to write the plot with the help of the lecturer and direct the musical myself. I’m just too excited!” she cheering up.

                 “Really? Congratulations!” I cheers up for her too. “So, have you thinks about the leading characters? Or the lecturer will decide it for you?” I ask. She shook her head.

                  “Nope. I’ll decide it myself. I was thinking to offer the role to Jaejin oppa since he always told me how much he wanted to act in a musical. To be an actor,” she said, smiling. Ah, Lee Jaejin! That boyfriend of her. I’ve never really seen him face to face but Mina always said that he’s so kind and handsome.

                 “That’s good for you and him since you two will be working together. But, who’s going to be the leading female?” I ask. Concern about Jaejin’s partner. It cannot be Mina since she’s going to direct, right?

             “I’m giving it to Choa unnie. She is the perfect one for the female lead role. She used to act in a musical before so it shouldn’t be a problem,” she said. Choa? This is so going to be a problem.

                “Mina-ah, I’m not trying to offend you but pairing Choa with Jaejin, it’s not a good idea. I think you better change either the female lead or male lead. This is just my opinion. So, please don’t get me wrong,” I said to her, holding her hand. She smile and pat my hand on hers.

                      “It’s going to be fine,” she said.

Flashback end

 

            “Why are you bringing up that here?” suddenly I heard that guy scold Mina. Oh. My. God. I am too immersed with my flashback that I didn’t realize what did this two figure talk about in front of me.

            “Because you broke my heart! I gave you a chance to act in the musical, and what have you done to me? What? And now you call yourself in unfortunate?” Mina scolds him back. I remembered now. I remembered all that happening between this two. And I remembered this guy. This Lee Jaejin guy. I saw that musical.

Flashback

            “Congratulations on your successful musical, Mina-ah!” I congratulate Mina right after the musical ended. She looks so happy when I come to her although she somehow sad when Jiyeon and Qri unnie couldn’t make it to the musical. So do Jaehyun oppa.

            “Thank you, Jieun-ah! Thanks for coming too. But, it’s sad that Jiyeon and Qri unnie couldn’t come,” she said, pouted.

            “What to do? They have classes to attend. Luckily, the lecturer cancelled the class for today. If not, I couldn’t make it too. Anyway, Jaehyun oppa texted me just now. He said since he couldn’t come today, so he left you a congratulatory present at the school rehearsal hall. Why don’t you take a look?” I told her. She looks so excited.

            “Really? Waaa! He really loves to give surprises to his dongsaengs. Come, let’s go with me!” she said, pulling my hand along. We had a very happy conversation along the way to the school rehearsal hall.

            Arriving to the school rehearsal hall, we were shocked by what we saw. “Jaejin oppa,” Mina called. I look at her beside me. Her eyes filled with tears waiting to burst. The script on her hand fell down to the floor. She gasped. She closed her mouths and that moment, her tears fall.

            “Mina-ah, it’s not like what you think,” the Jaejin guy tried to explain.

            “Not like what I think? Then what?! You clearly kiss Choa unnie! And you still dare to say not like what I think? You never kiss me. You always said that we’re so young to do those things that I even exclude the kiss scene in my musical just for you!” she shouted from a far. She wipes her tears harshly. “I’ve had enough. Let’s break up,” Mina said and left the hall.

Flashback end

 

            I saw Mina smirk. “I don’t understand why do we need to argue here. Oppa, it’s been a year since the musical. It’s been a year since our last year at the college,” Mina said. Yes, it’s been a year since our last year at the college. We started our college when we’re 19 and end when we’re 22. Now, we’re 24.

            “What’s your point?” Jaejin asks Mina.

            “Let’s just pretend that we didn’t know each other,” she said. “Besides, you have Choa unnie, right? I have someone else too. I have someone else that I love. So please, let’s just forget our past,” Mina said. Wait. Did she said, she have someone else? Who? Why I never knew about that? Does she mean Chen anyway?

            “Who?” Jaejin asks. “Who is that bastard?” he shouts. I just realize after a lot of quarrel happens between them that everyone is looking towards our direction now.

            “Er..it..it’s…” Mina stutters.

            “It’s my brother. Jongdae. Kim Jongdae,” I said on Mina’s behalf. 

 

Hi lovelies heart How you're doing? I hope you're good and live your life well so that you won't get sick and can read my next updates laugh Anyway, I hope you enjoy the new update! I understand if some of you didn't like this update because there's too much Mina's x Jieun's moments but I cannot leave them alone sad And oh yeah! I added additional characters which is Lee Jaejin [FT Island] and Park Choa [AOA] and I was thinking to make Jaejin-shi a permanent characters. What do you think about the idea? Please leave me some feedbacks and comments!

 

Check out this poll for some votes!