TCL 17: The Renter

This Cruel Life.

POV
I-II : Jiyeon's
III : Sehun's


I.

            I look at the clumsy Qri unnie at the kitchen. I bet she’s nervous because there are five pairs of eyes are looking at her, getting the table ready for us to have dinner. It’s not usual to see Qri unnie cooks for us because we always eat outside instead of cooking. But, for tonight event, this might seems weird to the two boys who didn’t know yet the truth of this dinner. And I just hope that Qri unnie manage to calm herself down and able to tell them the truth.

            “Okay, the food and table is ready. Let’s eat!” Qri unnie, I can see she’s trying to cheer up to cover her nervousness but she’s not an actress, you know? There is no way she can hide those with us watching her right now.

            “Ahh~ I’m so hungry and your food just makes me hungrier by the smell,” Chen pouted. All of us laugh at his childishness and Jieun’s annoyed face looking at him. These siblings never get enough of fighting and that is just so cute! Because, one day, I am very sure they will get along so well.

            “Yah, Kim Jongdae! Stop with the cuteness when you’re not cute at all,” Jieun said, with an annoying tone. She even tsk-ed her brother. Chen pouted, once again.

            “Okay, enough with the cute quarrel. My tummy is growling right now. Can we eat?” Mina joins in the two siblings quarrel. Jieun looks away from Chen’s sight, annoyed. All of us shake our head lightly as we witness the two siblings.

            “Anyway, what’s with dinner so suddenly? We usually eat outside, but today? Any special occasion?” Chen asks when we started eating. I look at Qri unnie and she looks at me. I turn my look to Jaehyun oppa who kept his silence since he came. He just keep eating, ignoring our conversation. I bet they’re quarreling again before.

            “I have something to announce,” Qri unnie said before taking a deep breath. This time, Jaehyun oppa listens to what Qri unnie is going to say. “I got an offer to start my service as a gynecologist’s at Asan Medical Center and I’ll start working next week,” Qri unnie said calmly. Chen claps his hands as if Qri unnie just won an award.

            “Congratulations! That’s what you’ve been dreamt of right?” Chen asks after congratulating. Qri unnie replied with a nod.

            “Aren’t you going to say something, Jaehyunnie?” Qri unnie asks. Jaehyun oppa who is listening while keeping his head down whispers a ‘Congratulations’. Qri unnie took a deep breath once again. “I have another thing to tell,” she said.

            “What is it?” Chen, who is curious to death asks.

          “Please wait here for a while,” she said, excusing herself to go upstairs to her room. A little while later, she came back downstairs bringing her little Ji Hoon whom we met this afternoon when picking him up in her embrace. Poor little boy. He must be sleeping just now. He kept his head on unnie’s shoulder.

            “Noona, who is this?” Chen asks, smiling. He Ji Hoon’s head lightly after Qri unnie took her sit. Chen likes children and that’s what I can see right now.

            “Jaehyun-ah, aren’t you curious about why I never let you called me Jihyun and why I never accepted your proposal to me?” Qri unnie asks Jaehyun oppa, ignoring Chen’s question. He pulls up his head looking at Qri unnie who sits opposite to him.

            “Why? Because you’re not ready? Because you don’t like me? Because I’m not qualified enough for you? Is it?” Jaehyun oppa replied with an annoying and sarcastic voice. He must be so angry and hurt. I, who sits beside him on the rectangle dining table, his back.

            “Ani. Because it’s you who might not be ready to accept me. Because it’s you who might hate me and didn’t like me. Because it’s me who might not qualified for you. Because of this boy,” Qri unnie said little Ji Hoon back. Her eyes contain tears that might fall anytime from now.

            “What do you mean?” Jaehyun oppa becomes uncomfortable.

            “This is my son. With my dad. The one I hates the most when he me 6 years ago. When I was 19,” and her tears fall to her cheek. “Chen-ah, this is my son of you asks who is he,” she said, without even looking at Chen but only at Jaehyun oppa. “He me, Jaehyun-ah. My dad. The one who called me Jihyun. This is the reason why I hate the name Jihyun.  Because the person who called me Jihyun me and I gave birth to this boy,” she said.

            “That’s enough, unnie,” I tried to stop her from saying anything anymore because I just can’t stand seeing that tears on her cheek that keeps falling.

            “Aniyo! It’s not enough. Jaehyun needs to know the truth. This is my son, Jaehyun-ah. He is the reason I can’t marry you. Because you might think and I'm a fraid if you think that I’m a who gave my ity to anyone I like when we’re married and we end up divorcing. This is why,” Qri unnie said.

            Jaehyun oppa sighs heavily. I look at him. His eyes too. Been waiting for the tears to fall. I can feel the tense. I look at each of the faces on this table. Everyone is keeping their head down. Everyone is feeling the hurt. I can tell by looking at their face.

            “Mummy, I’m hungry,” and we can hear Ji Hoon whining.

 


II.

            I walk slowly to my car at the parking lot on the 3rd floor in this Qri unnie’s apartment. I’m glad that everyone had known the truth. I’m glad that Qri unnie don’t have to keep all the hurt by herself anymore. I’m glad everything is settled down now.

            “Jiyeon-shi?” someone called. I turn back.

            “Sehun-shi? What are you doing here?” Yes. What is he doing here, in front of me right now when I don’t feel like looking at his face? When I don’t want to see his face because I might craving more than seeing him everyday. I might not want to leave his sight again.

            “I’m going to meet my old friend. He said he’s coming here to meet his friend first then we’ll meet here. But, he just texted me, cancelling the meeting because he needs to sent his sister and friend home,” he explains. I don’t want to know that. I want to know why are you turning me like this? Why am I like this?

            “Ahh~” is the only thing I able to reply.

            “What are you doing here?” he asks.

            “Meeting a friend too,” I said.

            “Ahh~ is that so?” he asks again. For no motives, I think. “Hmm,” he’s going to say something. “Since my meeting with that old friend is cancelled, I’m thinking of asking you for a coff-,”

            “No!” I rejected before he finishes the coffee word. “No. I mean, I should straight going home since it’s getting late. I don’t want the maids and butlers at home worried again,” I said, giving him such a brilliant, I think excuses.

            “Just for a while,” he said. I look at him. Into his eyes. “Pleaseeee,” he pleads. And I fall for those innocent eyes, begging.

 


III.

            I brought her to the café that I always went to with my ex-girlfriend before. We took a sit by the window.  She somehow resembles that ex-girlfriend of mine. The way she talks, the way she walks, the way she defend herself, the way she acts, even the way she sips her coffee. It was all the same with my ex-girlfriend that I cannot forget until now. The one who died of cancer years ago.

            “You look pretty tonight,” I compliment her made her choked while sipping her drink. I pass her tissues for her to wipe her pretty lips and clothes.

            “T..thanks,” she said. I smile.

            “No need to thank me. You look pretty everyday. It’s me who just realized it tonight,” I said to her. Sincerely, from the bottom of my heart. She smiles lightly. Not even dare to look at me. Maybe she is shy. “Anyway, I want to thank you for advising last night. This morning, finally I can talk to mummy. Finally, mummy and I back to the basic. And I started to accept Woori’s daddy,” I told her.

            “That’s good,” she said. “For you,” she continued.

            “That’s all?” I ask. She smiles and nods. “Aren’t you going to say anything else?” I ask her. She shook her head. “Can I ask then?” I ask for the third time. And she replied a nod, using only a body language for the third time.

            “Is it true that my feeling for you is not real? Or is it just your assumption?” I ask. She sighs heavily. She looks at me and smiles again. I just love her smile. I love everything about her right now. And maybe forever, I will love everything about her.

            “It’s true. You don’t feel anything after you get along with your mummy right?” she asks. I shook, denying her words. She didn’t look shocked. Didn’t seem like she care.

            “I did. I did feel the thumping and the beating of my heart races when I saw you earlier. I did feel the butterflies in my stomach right now. I did feel like kissing you right now. Having you by my side. Hugging you for you to feel safe with me. Right now. I feel those,” I told her. I am being sincere. I know. My feelings for her are real.

            “You will not feel like that after a few days,” she said.

            “Why did you keep denying my feeling? It’s not you who feels it. Or could it be that you feel the same and you don’t want to admit it?” I ask. And this time, I manage to make her feel uneasy. It’s true! She feels the same. She felt what I felt.

            “I..I…” she stutters.

            “I feel what you feel. I love you like you do. Is that what you wanted to say?” I ask. She is breathing rapidly and shook, denying the truth. She holds her hand on her chest and keeps breathing rapidly. I become panic and walk to her side.

            “Are you okay?” I ask. Holding her shoulder but she push my hand away. She looks outside of the café. Her eyes widen. She pointed to my car which park by the café.

            “Is that yours? The car is yours?” she asks. I look at the car. I shook.

            “Nope. That’s a rent. My car gets into the workshop,” I told her. Sit again at my place.

            “Have you ever rent the car before?” she asks again. Fixing her eyes on the car. Why did she ask such weird questions? What is it in her mind?

            “Yeah,” I still answer her question.

            “When?” she asks again.

            “It’s been a long time. I can’t remember the actual date but around one to two months ago?” I told her. She looks at me immediately.

            “Two months ago?” she asks. I nod. “Is it the same number plat when you rent two months ago?” she asks again. I nod again. “On what purpose you rent the car?” she asks again and again. Why is she so curious? What is it that she’s thinking?

            “I went clubbing and my car broke down. So, I told my bodyguard to rent me a car. I was drunk that night but you got to believe me that I don’t look like a drunken person even if I’m drunk. So, nobody can tell if I’m drunk. And I drove the car that night and what was the most funniest thing that night is, I hit something really hard and nothing happened to me. So, I just went back home like that,” I chuckled to my own story after being so talkative. But then, I just realized that Jiyeon was about to burst into tears. And she did now.

            “You hit something?” she asks. Her lips are trembling. I nod, hesitate. “I’m going back first,” she said and just left like that.

            Why is she crying?

            What did I do wrong?

            What is my fault?

            That is the question that keeps repeating in my mind.

 

As promised, Hunji's moments.