TCL 8: The Colleagues

This Cruel Life.

            I look at the direction of the stairs. What took him so long just to pee? Is he trying to charge me? Did he left? Finally, I decided to take a look at him. I walk down to the washroom and saw him talking to a girl. I walk closer to take a closer look. Wait. I think I’ve seen her before. I walk closer to them.

            “Jiyeon?” I remark them. The girl look at me.

            “Woori unnie?” she asks me back. I smile to her and immediately hug her. She hugs me back.

            “Yah! I miss you so much! Where the hell did you go after finished college?” I scold her playfully and pat her .

            “I miss you too,” she said as we broke the hug. “I’ve been nowhere. I’m just busy with life,” she said. Without any expression. Where did her smile go? She has always been the one who smiles a lot.

            “Wait. You guys know each other?” Oh! I forgot about him.

            “Ah Sehun-ah. This is my colleagues. She’s younger than me but definitely older than you,” I explained to Sehun. People must be thinking what am I doing with this guy. He definitely tried to please me to get my dad property after trying to ignore me that night.

            “Anyway Jiyeon-ah, how are your daddy and mummy? Are they fine?” I ask her, smiling. She suddenly looks down and sad. What had happened that I don’t know?

            “They’re dead,” she said, slowly. I am so shocked. Why I never knew about this? “It’s been a month. That’s why I didn’t show up,” she explained.

            “I’m so sorry for your loss,” I said. Now I know how she lost her smile as well. “How did they go?” I ask. I’m trying to control myself from asking but the question just slip out my mouth.

            “I don’t know. The hospital said there’s this unknown guy hit them while they’re crossing the road at the back of the hospital with a car. They just came back from donating their blood and register their name for internal parts of body to donate when they died but I never thought they will go this fast. I just…I just can’t take it,” she sobs. I see tears flowing down from her eyes. I her back, calming her down.

            “Sehun-ah, you go back first. I’ll ask the driver to pick me up later,” I told Sehun who’s just standing beside me from just now. He looks flustered and nod. Then, he left. I turn my face looking at Jiyeon back again.

            “Let’s talk for a while,” I suggested.

            “Let me tell Jieun and Qri unnie first that I’m leaving with you,” she told me.

            “They’re here?” I ask. She nods. “I want to meet them too,” I said and she nods again.

            I walk to their table and talk to Qri, Jaehyun, Jieun and Chen for a while before leaving together in our separate ways. Jiyeon bring me to the café that we always went together during our college moments to have a talk.

            “So, tell me more,” I said to her.

            “Like I said, they were hit. It’s a hit and run. The hospital showed me the CCTV but we couldn’t trace the driver’s face. I tried to track the car plat number, but it’s a rent car. I couldn’t get the name of the renter since it didn’t involve the police,” she told me.

            “You should tell the police you know,” I said to her.

            “I don’t want to. I want to solve this matter myself. No matter how hard or how long will it take,” she said. I nod, understand.

            “Anyway, how did you know Sehun?” I changed the topic. I know she will get even more sadden while talking about this matter.

            “Sehun? Ah~ that guy?” she asks. I nod. “I never know that your dad’s company merge to my daddy’s company. Your parents set up a meeting to say sorry for my loss that one day, and that’s how we met. But, before that I met him at the café. He’s so terrible. He is the one who bumped into me and yet he said I push him. He didn’t even say sorry after making my sandwich fall,” she said, annoyed.

            “Really? Wow! But yeah, he’s quite terrible,” I agreed with her.

            “Who is he to you?” Jiyeon asks, while taking a sip of her coffee.

            “He is my stepbrother,” I told Jiyeon and she definitely looks so shocked. “Don’t be so shocked. I even slept with him before,” I confessed it simply. She even gets more shocked.

            “So, you’re not a ? Anymore?” she asks. I nod.

            “Yeah,” I admit it.

            “Why? You’re not like that before?” she looks so disappointed in me.

            “Because of my dad. I want to show him that I’m no longer a kid that he can bosses me around, that he can scold me as he pleased. He and his new wife, I just hate them. Including this guy. I didn’t sleep with him because I want it so badly, I just want to tell his mom that her son is just as bad as me. His mom hates me so much,” I told Jiyeon. She cannot accept my excuses.

            “There is another way,” she said.

            “I miss my mom too Jiyeon-ah. I was hoping to receive as much love as my mom from this new wife, but she just hates me. Yes, I still have my dad but I feel like don’t have one. He’s just too obsessed with his new wife,” I said. Out of sudden, I felt so sad. I feel like someone stabbing my heart with a knife.

            “Is he like that too? Simply sleeping with girls?” Jiyeon asks. I nod.

         “He’s even more worst. He’s a one night stand. You cannot count how many girls did he slept with,” I told Jiyeon. She looks disgusted. I bet she couldn’t believe what she just heard.

            “I really hate someone like that,” Jiyeon said.

            “I know,” I said to her. She shook in disbelief.

           “But unnie, I’m sorry to say, it’s not his only fault. You’re sleeping with him so it’s your fault too. I never thought that you would go this far. Between you and your dad, it can be resolve. Using the other way. For me, the fact that you’re sleeping with you daddy’s wife son, it’s not punishing your dad, it’s punishing yourself. You throw yourself into a miserable life. I really think you should solve this matter with him,” Jiyeon lecture me. I’m not mad. What she said, it’s true. It is all true.

            “What should I do?” I ask her.

           “You better apologize first to him. In that case, he’ll know that you actually didn’t mean you did with him. He’ll know that it’s not you who’s with him that night. It’s your lust. Your uncontrollable lust,” she said. I nod. I look at her and hold her hand on the table.

            “Thank you, Jiyeon-ah,” I smile to her.