Chapter 17: Heading to America

Con Todo Mi Corazon

Chapter 17:

 

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything ~ Plato

 

The fourteen-hour flight to the Western United States tends to wreak havoc on an unexperienced world traveler's body and mind. Hell, even for the experienced traveler and  Kokoro had first-hand knowledge of this when she had flown to Japan. The first time she took this trip she had been woefully underprepared and had been bored out of her mind. Well, now she knew better. Her new Amazon Kindle® was ready to go. Despite having had purchase the electronic device a week before she left for Japan, she hadn’t had a moment to enjoy it. She was either working on projects relating to the tour, taking care of her kitties, spending time with Koki or her best friend, or just being too tired to keep her eyes open; So she was ecstatic that she would finally have the chance to read a book and relax. Well, relax as much as possible in business class on an international flight.

 

Minzy: Why are you making weird giggling noises over there? *Minzy is sitting next to Kokoro on the plane; Minzy turns her head, her perfectly arched right eyebrows raised- her face showing a look of worried confusion*

 

Kokoro: I am just happy. For the next fourteen hours, I don’t have to anything work-related if I don’t want to. I FINALLY can read a book and not feel bad about it. *A huge smile on Kokoro’s face*

 

Minzy: Why would you feel bad about taking the time to read? *that seemed to confuse her more*

 

Kokoro: I am always busy with something and it seems there is never enough time in the day. But now I have nothing but time.

 

Minzy nodded her head in agreement; Yea she understood that. She turned back to her magazine and left Kokoro happily scrolling through her kindle as she excitedly decided what she wanted to read. Minzy didn’t have a Kindle with her but she had brought a book that she decides she much rather read then the magazine currently on her lap. Reaching down between her knees she opened her carry on that sat between her feet and pulled out a hefty book. The title read Modern Korean Fiction: An Anthology in Korean. Minzy had managed to find it in a Japanese bookstore about a week ago in the Korean fiction section. She was only about 50 pages into the book but she was enjoying it a lot so far. Settling back into her seat she opened the book to her bookmark and picked up where she had left off. Happy to readjust as her seatmate was blissfully ignoring the dark magnetic eyes that were watching her every move.

***

Jin Akanishi sat on the same row as Minzy yet on the opposite end of it. Although two rows and at least eight people separated them Jin somehow managed to have a clear view of her. He was seated in the seat next to the aisle allowing him to stretch his legs out when needed. At the moment he was leaning back in the seat with his torso slightly twisted toward Minzy’s direction with his head resting against the headrest. He had a pair of expensive headphones wrapped around his neck, idly waiting to be used. He could see Kokoro all hyped about something -probably about the electronic device in her hand, it looked like a Kindle - and Minzy having a quick convo with her about whatever they were talking about. Minzy was also in the aisle seat. Her adorable profile on full display for Jin to take in. He watches her bend down and pulls out a heavy book that made Jin raise an eyebrow. The book looks massive. How did she even fit into her carry on?  However, that puzzle soon exited his mind just as quickly as it entered it as he focused on the smoothness of her skin, the messy topknot of her hair, the profile of her nose. Jin even took in the smallness of her hands. It was like he was seeing her for the first time and he couldn’t keep his eyes off her. There was something magnetic about the aura that was Min-Ji Gong.

 

Rei: You know if you stare any harder you will bore a hole into her. *she doesn’t look at Jin as she slowly flips through her magazine* Not to mention sitting in that position will wreck your back muscles like a .

 

Jin: Ha, Ha… *Jin straightens his body and rolls his head to look at his manager Rei* That’s the kettle calling the pot black. Is that the right American expression? Anyway, don’t think I didn’t notice the way you watched Lolita. What's the deal with you too? Sometimes the tension between the two of you is really weird.

 

Rei: *she signs and lays her magazine on her lap* It's complicated.  What’s the deal with you and Minzy.

 

Jin: It’s complicated. *he smirks*

 

Rei: *signs* Fine don’t tell me…but you know sooner or later I will need to know especially if it becomes serious – like the “media will want to know” serious.

 

Jin didn’t have the heart to tell her that it was already serious. Jin’s mind went back to the previous night.

 

Jin pulled into a parking space behind Minzy’s dorm. Quickly putting the vehicle in the park he shut off the engine, turning toward Minzy who was looking at him wearily.

 

Jin:  We’re going to be together for the next month on this tour. I don’t want to have any bad vibes between us. *Jin pauses for a moment, then turns and looks directly at Minzy* I missed you and the conversations that we had.

 

 And the love that we made Jin thought but had enough sense not to say.

 

Jin’s eyes were sincere and honest and Minzy could see that. She didn’t know what to do. Her heart raced as she thought about all the time that they would spend together. Yes, They needed to get along, but she wasn’t about to get hurt again either.

 

Minzy: Okay for the sake of the tour I will be nice….

 

Jin: YATTA!!! *Jin pulled her into a tight hug* Arigato, Minzy-chan. *he said into her shoulder*

 

Minzy: Baka, I didn’t say that we could be friends again. 

 

Minzy pointed this out as she attempted to get out of his hug, but Jin just tightened it.

 

Jin: I know, but I’m okay with that. As long as I can be with you. *Jin pulled back slightly looking Minzy in the eyes* If we have to completely start over I don’t mind. Just…, just don’t push me away, again.

 

Minzy: *sighs* Okay, fine! Just quit giving me puppy eyes.

 

I’m so weak! Minzy thought to her self.

 

Jin: Can I come up?

 

Minzy: *Hesitates for a moment* Yeah…I guess. But it's only for a minute.

 

They both exit Jin’s car and quickly entered the dorm. It was quiet this late (or early) in the night (morning). Dara had left half an hour before they had and should already be back at the dorm. As they both entered the dorm Minzy could see the light from the hall bathroom shining out from under the door as Dara completed her nighttime routine.

 

Minzy:* Nervousness entering her voice* Have a seat. Did you want any water or anything?

 

Jin: No, I am fine. I just want to chill with you for a moment.

 

Jin takes a seat on the love seat that occupied the open space in the living room that connected with the open kitchen. At that moment Dara exits the bathroom and sees Minzy standing halfway between the door and the love seat. Dara notices that Minzy’s eyes widen like a rabbit.

 

Dara: Hey…Jin, what's up? What are you doing here?

 

Jin:*Leans back in his seat like he plans of staying there for the night* I drove Minzy back. I just wanted a drink of water before I headed back to my house.

 

At the mention of water, Minzy seems to come out of her semi-trance and goes to the kitchen to get it, Dara following.

 

Dara: Hey, are you all right? * her eyebrow furrowed in concern*

 

Minzy: *signs* Yeah, I am fine. Just a little tired. Once Jin drinks his water and leaves I will be going to bed. You go ahead and head back to bed.

 

Dara: Are you sure? *she notices the nervousness in Minzy’s body language. She had  a hunch that JIn and Minzy had something going on but wasn’t going to say anything.”

 

Minxy: Yeah, I am fine.

 

Minzy waves off Dara to bed as she heads back into the living room handing JIn a small glass of water.  Jin takes it with a smile calling out to Dara as she heads her room wishing her good night as she does the same. In a matter of seconds, they were alone.

 

Jin: Sit Minzy, I am not going to bite.

 

Jin takes a sip of the water as he watches her sit next to him. She was close enough to feel her presence but too far away from him to hold both her both physically and emotionally if that made any sense.

 

Jin: So…, how have been these last few weeks? Do you like working on the Jimusho?

 

Minzy: Yeah, it's been cool. You know I’ve always loved to dance. Its been my passion for so long that it's amazing that I am making a living at it.  

 

JIn: Were you able to get a lot of dance gigs in Korea?

 

Minzy: Not so much. In Korea – Kpop- there are a dozen young girls like me and it's competitive even to be a dancer for a Kpop label. However, I’ve done stuff here and there but nothing consistent. I am hoping that the jobs that I have gotten here at Johnny’s and your tour will open up more doors for me back home.

 

Jin’s heart clenched when he thought of Minzy leaving Japan to go back to Korea. Was he destined to only have her for a brief time yet again? His heart would break if he lost her again. Yet, at this moment he didn’t have her either – that he had to change. Yet, deep in his heart, he knew it would be much harder to win her over than it had been the time before.

 

Jin set the empty glass down on the coffee table in front of the sofa. Turning toward Minzy, he looked into eyes and swam in the depths of her brown pools. He wanted to stay the night talking with her but she needed her rest for the trip tomorrow not to mention that he needed his own. So although his heart wanted him to stay he knew that it was for the best that he leaves.

Jin: I hope you do. You are a  talented dancer and I am happy to have you as a dancer. I know you will make it. * Jin reluctantly looks at his watch* I better go. We both need to get our rest. *he stands and helps Minzy to her feet. Then she walks him to the front door* I’ll see you tomorrow Min.* he opens the door and moves to step through it when Minzy calls out to him.*

 

Minzy: Jin…

 

Jin has his hand on the door frame his body turned towards her. His hair pulled into a messy ponytail with wisps of hair framing his face, accentuating the beauty of Jin Akanishi, His eyes so brown they look black framed by his lush strong arched eyebrows and dark lashes. The strength of his nose and the lushness of his slightly pink lips. Minzy’s breath caught in her lungs for a moment and she gently bit into her bottom lip, Jin’s eyes following the motion.

 

Minzy: *slightly breathless* Jin, thanks for the ride back. You’ll be safe getting home right?

 

Jin nodded his head in silent agreement.

 

Jin: Hai… I promise. Would it be okay if I texted you to let you know I was home safe?

 

Minzy: Mmmm

 

Jim: * a tiny smile showed on his lips.* Okay, then I  will text you. Get some sleep. Ja Mata.

 

Minzy: Ja Mata…

 

And with that Jin smiled again and left the apartment. When Jin got home a little later he immediately texted Minzy who text him back an ‘Osoyama’ with a cutesy emoji. Jin smiled at that. She still likes to use emojis like a high schooler. That pleased him because it assured him in a small way that the Minzy that he knew and that he fell in love with was still there. As he lay in bed trying desperately to go to sleep he congratulated himself that he hadn’t rushed things that he hadn’t begged to stay the night there that he hadn’t kissed her like he wanted to. He had a month. A month to get Minzy to fall in love with him again. A month to figure out how to get her to understand that He was her home and that Japan was where her future lay, with him.

 

If Jin was anything he was persistent and this time he was never letting Minzy go.