All That I Will Ask For

A Life A Little Less Ordinary

Sharp pains made way to the head of the one with a hangover. Stomach upset because it’s filled with nothing but the alcohol from last night. She groggily woke up and saw her girlfriend still fast asleep beside her. She smiled and tried to keep her aching groans silent and walked out to get a drink of water and some pills for the headache.

 

Walking into the kitchen she’s greeted by her father drinking a cup of coffee while reading a book.

 

“Hey dad.” She tried to say as cheery as she could.

 

He put down his book while also taking off his reading glasses and faced her. “Oh…” he chuckled. “Looks like you’re going to have a rough morning.”

 

“Yeah, seems like it.” She poured herself a glass of water and sat across him.

 

“You want me to make something? After that you should feel a little better.”

 

“Mhmm” she hummed. “I’ll take a sandwich. I don’t feel like eating a lot right now.” She ran her fingers through her hair and accidently touched the spot that was still tender from earlier this morning. “Ah, .” She said under her breath.

 

“What was that?” he turned getting the ingredients from the fridge.

 

She just shook her head and continued drinking her water. “Nothing.”

 

While her dad was fixing her up an egg sandwich she was thinking to herself how to bring up the subject of her mother. She know that they were both hurt by her, but she never asked her dad about his feelings after her mother left. Would this be a touchy subject?

 

He handed his daughter her sandwich. “There you go sweetie.”

 

“Thanks dad.” She took a bite and looked at him while still chewing and his response was just a smile. She swallowed the food that was in . “Can I ask you something dad?”

 

“Yeah, shoot.” He sat back down and drank his coffee

 

She opened wanting to speak, but nothing came out. She took a few more seconds to gather her thoughts. “Dad, how do you feel about mom now that she is back?”

 

He put his cup of coffee down and stared blankly at the table furrowing his brows. Silence came over the atmosphere between the two. Nothing said, but just hearing the light breathing coming from both.

 

He sighed. “I don’t know…I’m just very conflicted on the inside.” He looked at Taeyeon. “When the person you thought you loved and loved you back leaves with no word also abandoning their child and just appears out of nowhere randomly. I guess to put it into words I felt happy, but also angry at the same time.” He paused. “But mostly I was angry. Angry with her for leaving me especially leaving you when you were too young and then coming back just to tell me I raised you wrong. Basically telling me I was a bad father because of how you turned out, but she’s wrong. She was a bad mother, but I feel sorry for her in a way.”

 

“Why?”

 

“She didn’t get to see you grow up. She missed out on the joys of seeing her child grow into a strong and good-natured person, but at the end of the day she doesn’t even know her own child.”

 

Taeyeon stared at her sandwich and spoke. “You think it would be okay for me to talk to her?”

 

He took in a deep sigh. “To be honest sweetie, we both have issues with your mother, but that decision lies with you and only you. If you want to talk and squash this I’ll support it. If you don’t ever want to talk to her I’ll support you. It’s up to you sweetie.”

 

She touched the rim of her glass. “I had a talk with Heechul last night and at the end of that conversation I decided that I want to talk to her and finally get the air clear between us.”

 

“I see.” He sat there just staring at the table. “It’s going to be hard to find her though.”

 

“Yeah, I know...”

 

After a brief silence he got up from his chair. “I’m going to take Tuco out for a walk. I’ll be back in awhile.” He put his coffee mug in the sink. “You should get more rest after you’re done eating.”

 

“I will. Be careful out there.” She sat at her chair and finished her sandwich. “Ah, I feel a bit better. I can probably sleep off the rest.” She walked to her room and fell asleep next to Jessica again wrapping her arms around her.

 

----

 

Mr. Kim walked with Tuco and the conversation with his daughter was the only thing on his mind.

 

“I want to talk to her and finally get the air clear between us.”

 

“It’s going to be hard to find her though.”

 

He stopped walking also bringing Tuco to a halt. “I wonder if she’s staying there?” he looked in the direction of the possible destination. “Come on Tuco, we’re going to a place we haven’t been to for awhile.”

 

He strolled through the familiar area. Memories of him and his wife in high school hitting him like bullets. Though they’re happy memories they stung like salt in an open wound. As he got closer to the door his body grew hot and he started to get anxious. They stopped and he was hesitant to even knock on the door. Tuco could feel distress and the palm of his hand letting him know he’s not here alone.

 

He took a deep breath and gave a few knocks on the door to only wait patiently for someone to open the door.

 

“I got it grandma.” He heard faintly through the door.

 

Once it opened and he and his wife locked eyes feeling like time stopped for both.

 

She cleared and weakly said. “What brings you here?”

 

He put his own problems with her aside for the sake of his daughter. “I came here because she wants to talk with you.”

 

She looked around thinking her daughter would be with him.

 

“She’s still at the house recovering.”

 

“Recovering? Is she okay?”

 

“She’s fine. She just had a bit too much to drink last night.”

 

She looked at her feet feeling guilt.

 

“She doesn’t know I’m here and I just wanted to see if you were at your grandma’s so her search isn’t so difficult.”

 

“Who is at the door Jamie?” an old lady walked up to the door and her eyes widened. “OMO! It’s been a long time Dean. I haven’t seen you since before winter” She went over and gave her grandson-in-law a big hug. “How have you been?”

 

“I’ve been good and you?”

 

“How do you think an old lady would feel? Everything aches.” She laughed. “Come inside.”

 

“Ah, no, um, I just came to relay a message to Jamie.”

 

She nudged his arm. “You wouldn’t refuse coffee from an old lady would you?” she said with a stern face.

 

He bit his lip. “I’ll stay for one coffee and I have to head back home to feed this guy.”

 

She clapped her hands happily. “Okay, okay, come inside.”

 

Once they got inside Jaime’s grandma never sat down and was going to get the coffee herself.

 

“I’ll get it grandma. Sit down and I’ll be back.” Jaime got up and went to the kitchen.

 

“So how has my lil’ Taeyeon been doing? Is she doing good in school?”

 

He smiled. “She’s doing good. She graduated not too long ago and now she’s working at a 5 star restaurant now as the head pastry chef.”

 

“Ah, I knew my baby would do great things.” She chuckled.

 

“Babaaaa!” a little girl’s cries were coming near the living room.

 

“Aigoo, my other baby.” She turned in the direction of a room and a little girl no older than five came out with a stuffed animal in her hand and her other rubbing her eye.

 

“Baba, I’m hungry.”

 

“Aw, my baby.” She sat the little girl on her lap and kissed her head. “Mama is going to make breakfast in a bit okay.”

 

Dean’s eyes widen. “Mama?” he thought to himself.

 

Jaime came out of the kitchen coffee and coffee mugs on a tray. “Here you go grandma. Oh, you’re finally awake sweetie?”

 

She got off her Baba’s lap and went to Jaime. “Mom, I’m hungry. I want waffles.”

 

Dean looked at Jaime locking gazes at each other. His heart started to hurt. The only woman he could love had a child with another man. He looked at the table and took his coffee and silently drank it while Jamie went back to the kitchen with her child.

 

“Ah, I forgot to thank you for chopping wood and bringing it to me before the winter time Dean.”

 

A faint smile appeared on his face. “No problem. Just taking care of my grandma.”

 

“Ah, you’re such a good man Dean.” She looks towards the kitchen to her granddaughter. “A really good man Dean.”

 

He swallowed the last gulp of his coffee. “Well I better get back. Taeyeon and her girlfriend are probably going to wake up soon.” He got up and hugged her. “I’ll let her know that you said hi.”

 

She was about to get up and walk him to the door, but he stopped her. “Don’t bother your old bones a man like me can take care of himself.” He walked out the door and grabbed Tuco’s leash that was wrapped to the porch. “Let’s go buddy.”

 

“Wait!”

 

He stopped and turned around to see Jaime walking up to him.

 

“I-” she exhaled out of her nose. “I’m sorry…for everything.”

 

He didn’t say anything and just stood there.

 

“She just turned five a few months ago.”

 

“Good to know.” He turned and continued to walk back home leaving her standing there.

 

----

 

“Hey dad. How was you guy’s walk?” Taeyeon with Jessica greeted Mr. Kim when he walked in the house.

 

“It was good. This guy got some good exercise.” He put water and food into Tuco’s bowl. “Taeyeon.”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“You should look at your great grandma’s place first.” He said expressionless.

 

“You think she’ll be there?”

 

“That’s where she use to stay so I would look there first.”

 

“Ah, okay.”

 

“I’m going to go shower. Open the sliding door in the back for Tuco when he’s done eating.”

 

“Got it” Jessica smiled.

 

Once he got inside his room he let out a very heavy breath he held in since he left that house. She had a child with another man? She’s raising her, but she couldn’t do the same for Taeyeon? Taeyeon doesn’t get a mother, but her other daughter does. He shook his head. I shouldn’t be saying that. That little girl is innocent in all of this. He sat on his bed and grabbed his chest. Why do I still love you Jaime? After all this time? After what you did to your first child and me? Why do those feelings still linger? All those feelings do is make me hurt.

 

----

 

“So you want to go look for her today?” Jessica petted Tuco while her and Taeyeon sat outside in the backyard.

 

Taeyeon stayed silent.

 

“Hey, you okay?”

 

Taeyeon nodded her head. “It’s just, it’s one thing talking about it, but actually doing it…I’m nervous.” Her facial expressions were uneasy.

 

“Taeng, babe. It’s going to be okay.”

 

She groaned. “Is it really?”

 

“Yes, it is.” Jessica wrapped her arms around her and kissed the crown of her head. “I’ll be with you the whole time.”

 

 

 

hello! i know it has been a very long time since i updated. one of the main reasons was that i don't have internet connection anymore, but i try to go to places with free wifi as much as i can which is not that often. another reason why i haven't wrote anything is some issues of my life was very complicated to where it frustrated me. the situation that me and this girl were in was very complicated and lets just say i'm trying to adjust back to my old self and it's taking time transitioning. that complication created a writers block for me, but i'll try my hardest to keep these updates coming as fast as i can. 

thank you to everyone, just thank you if you understand and like i said i will try my hardest it will just take some time.