Let's Hang On

A Life A Little Less Ordinary

“Taeyeon, could you get the grill ready outside?” he said after taking out the steaks that were marinating in the fridge.

 

“Yeah” Taeyeon got up from her seat and went to where her father and Jessica were. “You want to come help me?” she asked her girlfriend before she left outside.

 

“Yeah, unless I need to do another task?” she turn to Taeyeon’s father and waited for his answer.

 

He just nodded his head no and Jessica went and hooked her arm around Taeyeon’s.

 

She grabbed the bag of charcoal, the lighter fluid, and the matches. Both Jessica and Tuco followed her outside. She placed the charcoals on the grill evenly. Grabbing the light fluid she drenched the coals and lit them with a single match.

 

“Is that it?”

 

Taeyeon nodded her head “mhmm! We just let it heat up a while and then put the steaks on.”

 

Ring-a ding ding

 

Turning her head back to only know that her aunt and cousin are finally here, Taeyeon needed no one to tell her to go and open the door and Tuco guessed who it was and he started to get excited. “Auntie!” she hugged her tightly because she hasn’t seen her since she moved to Seoul.

 

“How you doing Taeyeon?” she held onto Taeyeon’s shoulders and can see that her niece is doing well just by how the way her appearance looks.

 

“I’m doing good, I had today and tomorrow off from work so I could come here.”

 

The older woman clasped her hands together. “When are you going to make some pastries for me?”

 

Taeyeon felt a little disappointed for not knowing that her auntie and cousin were going to come over to her dad’s. “Sorry, auntie. Dad just told me when I came that you two were coming. I would’ve made some if I knew before we left.”

 

Her auntie reached out and patted Taeyeon’s cheeks. “Oh, don’t worry about it. You can do it next time” she smiled and it made Taeyeon feel a little better.

 

“All right auntie.” She turned her head to only see someone that always seems innocent and child-like to turn into a beautiful grown woman petting Tuco. “Seohyun! Wow, you look good!” was all she could blurt out.

 

Seohyun just giggled at her cousin and smiled. “Thanks, you look good too.”

 

Taeyeon finally realized that they’re still standing out the door and snapped to only invite them in. “come on in, the food is almost ready. We’re just waiting for the steaks.”

 

Her auntie’s eyes opened wide. “Is there a special occasion?”

 

“Oh, no. Not really.” She shrugged her shoulders. “You know how he likes meat”

 

They walked into the kitchen but he wasn’t anywhere to be found. Her second guess was that he was outside starting to grill the steaks. Seeing a very precious moment with her father and Jessica again, she walked over and made their presents known. “Dad, they’re here”

 

He stopped talking to Jessica and went over to his brother’s wife and his niece to hug them tightly. “How’s he doing?”

 

The happy facial expressions that they both had on their face when they came in went into very sad ones. “He’s doing okay, we just left the hospital.”

 

Neither Taeyeon nor Jessica had any idea what they were talking about.

 

“Who is in the hospital?”

 

Her auntie put on the best face she could. “Your uncle, he’s not doing too well right now.”

 

“What?” it came to a shock for Taeyeon. “What’s wrong with him?” she was really concerned about her uncle.

 

“He has type 2 diabetes, he’s in a coma right now…” Seohyun said with a hint of sadness in her voice.

 

Taeyeon could see the pain in their faces and she just went in for a group hug with the two of them. “He’ll pull through. He’s a strong guy auntie”

 

“I know, my husband is a stubborn one” she let out a little laugh and her eyes went to a person that she has never met before. “And who is your friend over there Taeyeon?”

 

Finally realizing that she didn’t introduce her girlfriend to her other family members. “Oh, sorry” she brought Jessica over. “This is Jessica, my girlfriend. Sica, this is my auntie and this is my cousin Seohyun.”

 

She respectfully bowed to Taeyeon’s aunt “it’s nice to meet you.”

 

Her aunt eyed her up and down. After all, Taeyeon is her husband’s only niece and she needed to observe her since he couldn’t. “Ah, Jessica. You American?”

 

“Yes, but my family moved to Seoul 13 years ago and now it’s just me and my sister living here now.”

 

“Ah I see…”

 

“The steaks are all done, go to the table so we can eat.” Mr. Kim carried a plate full of medium rare steaks. Everyone grabbed the food that they wanted on their plate and started eating, but more questions were on Taeyeon’s aunt’s mind about Jessica.

 

“So Jessica…” she cut her steak into small bites.

 

“Yes?” she looked up kind of intimidated.

 

“May I ask what you’re going to school for?”

 

She wiped with her napkin and cleared . “Um, I’m studying fashion at the university”

 

“Ah…fashion. So you want to be a designer?”

 

“Yes, hopefully my best friend and I could make our own brand”

 

Taeyeon’s auntie put down her steak knife and fork, and dapped her lips with a napkin to wipe whatever food was left. She cleared “is that why you’re with Taeyeon? To use her money to get started?”
 

Taeyeon choked on her food while Seohyun choked on her drink. Jessica stood there in shock because of how blunt she is being right now.

 

“Auntie, don’t”

 

“Yeah mom, you’re being rude.”

 

“I’m just wondering because the Kim family is one of the wealthiest families in South Korea. I’m just looking out for you here Taeyeon.”

 

“It’s fine Taeyeon.” She gave her a smile to reassure her she is okay with the question her auntie had just asked her. “Well, my family is actually…” she sighed, she didn’t like these words that were about to come off her lips. “My family is pretty wealthy too...”

 

“How so?”

 

“My father owns a world wide company call R.J. Corporation.”

 

Taeyeon’s father just laughs out loud by himself making everyone at the table look at him with confusion written on their faces. “You don’t say.”

 

Jessica just chuckled awkwardly still not knowing what is going on. “Um?”

 

“Well now, Jane you can see that she with Taeyeon because they’re in love. No more of those silly questions now.” He kept eating his steak after that.

 

“Excuse me Jessica.” She smiled apologetically.

 

“It’s fine, I can see why you would be concerned considering her family name.”

 

After that little discussion they chit chatted a little bit more getting to know Jessica and Taeyeon’s auntie and cousin started to warm up to her. Once everyone was done with their plates Jessica and Seohyun offered to clean up leaving Taeyeon, her father, and her auntie at the table.

 

“Now Taeyeon” her father rested his elbows on the table and looked directly at Taeyeon. “The reason why I called you here was because your auntie wants to ask a favor from you.”
 

She turned and looked at her auntie. “What is it?”

 

“Well, now that you know that your uncle isn’t doing too well…I was wondering if you could let Seohyun stay in Seoul with you until she graduates.” She held back her tears. “I just don’t want her to worry about her father too much, it’s putting a lot on her shoulders. She needs to have fun at college like what other people her age are doing.” She held onto Taeyeon’s hands begging for her to say yes. “So, please. Will you let Seohyun stay with you until she’s done with her schooling?”

 

Taeyeon patted her hand. “Auntie, you don’t even need to ask. Of course she can stay with me. I just have to call Sunny and have her set up the empty room.”

 

She wiped the tear that formed in the corner of her eye. “I like that Sunny girl, and thank you again Taeyeon for doing this.”

 

----

 

“So how long have you’ve been with my cousin?” Seohyun said while washing dishes and handing them to Jessica to rinse them off.

 

“We’ve been seeing each other for almost a month, but we officially started dating last week.”

 

“Ah” she said and them it became silent before she spoke again. “I like you much more than that girl she was with before.”

 

“Which one?” Jessica didn’t like that she had to even ask that question.

 

“Hara”

 

“Oh…” she put the rinsed dish on the dish rack.

 

“I met her a couple of times, I was the only one who did since my mom made me hang out with Taeyeon and sunny thinking that I wasn’t being social enough.” She chuckled to herself. “But I can see that she is truly happy now.”

 

“Is it that much of a difference between Hara and I?”

 

She nodded. “Taeyeon held back a lot when she was with hara. You can tell she was restricted…” she smiled. “But with you, she was just who she is, nothing more, nothing less.”

 

With those words coming from Taeyeon’s cousin, Jessica formed a smile on her face.

 

“You guys talking about me?” Taeyeon had quietly come in and heard the last bit of Seohyun’s sentence.

 

Jessica turned back and saw her resting her back on the kitchen island. “Yes.”

 

“May I ask what about?”

 

“Sorry Taeyeon, it’s just for my ears only. Right Seohyun?” she winked at her.

 

She just nodded.

 

“Well okay…” she went near Seohyun. “So you got all your things packed?”

 

“Yes, it’s all in the car.” She said with a little disappointment.

 

Taeyeon could see on her cousin’s face that she was worried. “It will be fine, and if you need to, you can use my car to visit him. Okay?”
 

“Okay” she let out a sigh.

 

“And when we get back to Seoul we can register you for your college classes because they start next week.”

 

----

 

The couple were laying on Taeyeon’s old bed holding each other while they took their time falling asleep.

 

“So how was it meeting most of my family today?” she stopped staring at the ceiling and looked at Jessica.

 

“It was nice having that “family feeling” again. I haven’t seen my parents in almost 2 years and this just filled that void that I’ve been missing.”

 

She kissed the crown on her head. “That’s good…” she smiled letting silence hit them for a moment before a thought occurred to her. “When will I meet your parents?”

 

Jessica let out a deep sigh. “I don’t know. They’re usually busy around this time of year…I don’t think they’ll have time to visit us here”

 

Taeyeon could hear her voice had a touch of disappointment in the end. She rubbed Jessica’s back and brought her closer to her.

 

“But maybe I’ll go see them during school break and you can come with me and Krystal?” she looked up at Taeyeon and smiled.

 

The girl was starting to feel nervous just thinking about meeting Jessica’s parents. “Ho-how are they?” she asked feeling a little curiously. “Like as people”

 

Jessica thought to herself for a moment. “Well my mom is a conservative woman and my father isn’t one to really talk much. He’s very straightforward and direct, but that’s when they’re serious. Usually they act like your dad behind closed doors.”

 

“So they were goofy only around you and Krystal?”

 

“Mm…sometimes? Mostly they taught us there is a time to be goofy and free spirited and there is a time when you need to be serious.”

 

Taeyeon could gather a little picture of both of them on just Jessica’s description alone. “Well, I can’t wait to meet them.” She said genuinely and then gave her a kiss on the cheek.

 

“Me too” Jessica snuggled more into Taeyeon leading both to fall asleep.

 

----

 

Back in Seoul

 

“They went to where?” hara spoke on the phone to her investigator.

 

“They went to jeonju”

 

Hara stayed silent. So she brought her back to her hometown? Is she really that serious about her?

 

“Hello?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“What do you want me to do?”

 

“I want you t-“ her doorbell interrupted what she was going to say. “Hold on.” She went to the door and opened it, she was surprised at who it was. “Nicole?”

 

Nicole didn’t even respond and just went and hugged her tightly.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

Nicole backed out from their hug with a sad face. “You aren’t happy I’m here?”

 

“No, no, no…I just wasn’t expecting you, that’s all.”

 

She smiled cutely for not notifying her best friend that she was going to visit. “I guess I should’ve called first.”

 

A faint voice was coming out of hara’s phone, but not faint enough for Nicole not to hear. “Hello? What do you want me to do about Taeyeon and her girlfr-“

 

She brought up the phone quickly to her ear and spoke. “I’ll call you later.” And she quickly hung up only to see that her friend was eyeing her mysteriously.

 

“Did he just say Taeyeon and her girlfriend?” she looked at hara and put some pieces together. “Don’t tell me you’re trying to break them up?”

 

Hara just looked to the ground not wanting to face her friend because she knows she will crack under her gaze.

 

“Hara” she was disappointed in her friend. “I thought you moved on from her? Didn’t you tell me yourself that you did?”

 

“I know!” she cried out loud and went to the couch to only bury her face into a pillow. After a while she place the pillow back down and looked at her friend. “It’s just when I saw her again, it” she looked down. “It was just nice, I felt like I did in high school when I saw her.”

 

Nicole took a seat right next to her. “Hara, I would be all for you pursuing Taeyeon if she was single, but what you are trying to do is mess with not only her life, but another person’s as well.”

 

“Nicole, you don’t get it?”

 

“Okay, fill me in on what I’m not getting.”

 

“I just can’t help it! I want to be with her” she grabbed her hair in frustration. “I can’t explain it, but I’m not stopping.”

 

“Hara you shou-“

 

“Nicole, I’m doing this whether you like it or not.”

 

She just threw up her hands in defeat. “Fine, but I won’t be apart of any of it”

 

“You don’t have to be. It’s not like your staying with me.”

 

She bit her lip and looked at hara. “Actually, I was hoping I could for a while…”

 

She just groaned. “Yeah, you can stay, but don’t interfere with anything!”

 

“I’m just going to act like your not doing any of those things.” She crossed her arms and stuck out her tongue to hara.

 

She just chuckled. “Good.”

 

----

 

“Seohyun, you want to go see him before we take off?” Taeyeon asked while putting all their stuff in her car’s trunk.

 

“If you wouldn’t mind…” she smiled hoping it wouldn’t be a problem.

 

“Of course I don’t, he is my uncle after all.” She smiled back at her. “I need to see him too just to show him that I’m rooting for him through this too” Her cousin face brightens up after saying that. That’s all she could do to comfort her cousin about her dad who was in critical condition after having been told by her auntie and father.

 

Taeyeon and Seohyun went back inside her father’s house to say goodbye. She walks in and sees her father talking to Jessica while smiling.

 

“Take care of her for me okay?” he said to Jessica

 

“I will.” She smiled and hugged him.

 

“Hey dad, we’re about ready to leave.” She came and stood beside them.

 

“Okay, take care of your cousin and most importantly, take care of this girl right here.” He pulled Jessica to his side. “Call me if she isn’t treating you good okay?”

 

Jessica chuckled. “I will do that dad.”

 

He just smiled and let go of her to walk up to his niece and daughter to only hug both of them tightly. “I’ll see you two the next time you visit.”

 

Taeyeon and Seohyun hugged him back tightly.

 

“Now you guys drive safely back to Seoul you hear?”

 

They all nodded and left out the door driving off to the hospital before heading back to Seoul.

 

“His room is this way.” Seohyun led the two to her father’s hospital room. Once they got in, all they heard was the heart monitor and the machine that was doing his breathing for him. “Hey dad.” Seohyun went to his bedside and held his hand. “Guess who is here”

 

“Hey uncle.” Taeyeon tried to speak clearly without letting her voice break seeing her uncle in this state. “I heard you’re really putting up a fight.” She chuckled and looked at Jessica who was beside her. “I wanted you to meet someone, but I guess this will just have to do for now.” She brought the girl over. “This is Jessica, my girlfriend.”

 

“Hi, Seohyun’s dad. I hope you get better so we can be introduced properly.”

 

Seohyun smiled even though Jessica didn’t know him at all, she was rooting for him to pull through too. “Dad, I’m going to be going to college in Seoul just until I graduate. I’ll be staying with Taeyeon in grandpa’s old house, but I’ll come and visit when I can.”

 

“Yeah, uncle. I’ll take good care of her for you too.” She too held onto his other hand. “I’ll make sure she is always safe”

 

“Well, dad. I’ll let mom know when I’m going to visit you okay” she went to his forehead and kissed it. “I’ll see you soon”

 

“Bye uncle. Hopefully next time I come to visit, you’ll be awake and I have all sorts of treats for you” she smiled and kiss is forehead before walking out with Seohyun and Jessica going back to the car, heading back home.

 

----

 

Sunny heard the car pull up into the drive and excitedly got out of her seat and went to go greet the girl she hasn’t seen in ages. “Seohyun!” she ran up to her once she got out of the car and hugged her like a mad woman.

 

“Hi Sunny unnie.” Seohyun said while she was squeezing the breath out of her.

 

“Ah, Seohyun” she looked at this girl and didn’t see the girl she remembers. “You’ve grown into a beautiful girl”

 

She smiled at sunny’s compliment.

 

“Now, come on while I help you set up in the guest room for now.” She said while taking one of Seohyun bags into the house.

 

“For now?”

 

“Your room doesn’t have a bed right now so you are going to be staying in the guest room for a few days.”

 

“Yeah” Taeyeon said behind them while carrying her and Jessica’s bags. “Your bed will be coming in a few days, I had sunny order it last night.”

 

“Oh okay” Seohyun could only agree.

 

They made it inside the house and saw Yoona walking downstairs.

 

“Yah, Yoona!” sunny called her. “Help us carry her bags in”

 

Yoona stood there and was blown by this girl’s beauty.

 

“Hello, Yoona?!” sunny finally had to scream after she didn’t hear her the first few times.

 

“What?” she looked at her with a pissed off face because of her loud voice.

 

“Yah, don’t do that with me. Go and help bring in her stuff.”

 

“Oh” Yoona ran outside quickly and grabbed her stuff with all this energy that came surging through her body. She brought the stuff in one by one really fast that it even surprised Taeyeon and sunny.

 

Seohyun got settled in guest room and came down stairs to everyone in the kitchen watching Taeyeon cook dinner. “What you making?” the smell had intrigued her.

 

“Pork medallions with a marsala butter sauce.”

 

“Oh, that sounds good.” In the corner of her eye she saw the girl who’s room is across from hers staring at her. She looked over at the girl and smiled just to be polite.

 

Yoona of course looked away. Why am I like this? I have a girlfriend. You have a girlfriend Yoona! A girlfriend named Krystal! She kept talking to herself in her head before being interrupted by Taeyeon telling her that dinner was finished.

 

They all sat there eating and chit chatting for the lost time that sunny and Taeyeon had with Seohyun.

 

“Oh, Seohyun. I you’ve never met Yoona right?” Taeyeon asked her and she just nodded ‘no’. “Well this is Yoona, and Yoona, this is my cousin Seohyun.”

 

“Hi” she said to Yoona who just looked like she was spaced out.

 

“You two are actually the same age”

 

Yoona looked at Taeyeon. “Really?”

 

“We are?” Seohyun was surprised too and looked at Yoona. “What month were you born?”

 

“In May…” she shyly answered.

 

“Oh” Seohyun gasped. “I should be calling you unnie then because my birthday is in June”

 

Yoona died a little inside when she saw Seohyun’s beautiful smile because it felt so wrong to like it when she has a girlfriend. “Uh, um, actually just call me Yoona, we’re only a month apart after all…”

 

“Okay un- I mean Yoona” it was hard for Seohyun to say this because she thought it wasn’t proper for her to not call Yoona ‘unnie’, but she went with it anyways.

 

They mostly chatted and hung out in the living room before their eyes started to lower.

 

“Good night Seohyun” Taeyeon walked with her towards her room. “We’ll be leaving in the morning to head to the college to get you register because Yoona, Jessica, and Jessica’s sister still need to register too.”

 

“Okay, night Taeyeon unnie”

 

----

 

“Krystal, we’re pulling into the driveway now. Come outside.” Jessica said through the phone to her sister who was on the other line waiting for them to pick her up to register for their classes.

 

“Hey guys” Krystal sat down in the car right next to Yoona and looked her to only smile. “Hey baby” she went and kissed her.

 

When they broke way, Yoona awkwardly said “hey”.

 

“Krystal, that’s my cousin Seohyun. She will be register for college today too.”

 

“Hi” Krystal reaches over Yoona to shake Seohyun’s hand.

 

“Don’t stay that to her like that Krys.” Jessica scolded her. “She’s older than you”

 

“Oh, sorry unnie” she bowed and Seohyun raised her hands telling her she doesn’t have to apologize.

 

“It’s all right. It’s nice to meet you Krystal”

 

The rest of the ride to the university was quiet until they got out of the car. They all parted ways except for Taeyeon and Seohyun because the older girl was already finished with school. She helped her get her classes and even gave her a little tour of the whole campus so she would know where to go on her first day.

 

“Thank you Taeyeon for helping me register for this term.”

 

“No problem Seohyun” they said while they were walking back to the car to meet up with everyone else. “And you know Jessica, Yoona, and Krystal and they’ll help you out if you need anything else”

 

“I know.” She smiled. “Taeyeon, I really like Jessica for you.” She kicked a pebble while leaning on the car waiting for everyone to rendezvous here.

 

“Really? That’s good coming from you.” She chuckled. “I know you had your doubts with hara.”

 

“I don’t like what she did to you while you were dating.”

 

Taeyeon leaned on the car next to her cousin and put her hands in her pockets. “I didn’t either…but! That’s all in the past and the present is all that matters now.”

 

“Hey!” they’re little conversation was interrupted when Jessica called Taeyeon from across the parking lot with both Yoona and Krystal walking behind her. She started jogging to Taeyeon and started to pout. “Baaabe…I’m hungry”

 

Taeyeon just laughed and kissed her forehead “all right” she looked at everyone. “What do you guys feel like eating tonight?”

 

“Babe, I want sushi!” she said gleefully jumping up and down.

 

“Sushi sounds good.”

 

“Um yeah, Taeyeon…I don’t mind eating sushi…”

 

“You okay with eating sushi Seohyun?”

 

“I’m fine with anything.” She had no complaints; even if she did she would say them out loud.

 

“All right. Well let’s go”

 

 

 

 

hello friends! i hope you like the update and i'm so sorry i haven't updated for quite a while and i won't be updating a lot unless i have the time now that i'm back in school. it's stressful but i'll try my best to try to write for this story while i go to school. just bare waiting for me please >.<

thank you guys for supporting this fic with the views, the upvotes, and the comments. :) you guys are super duper! :D